What's for dinner hun? Mealworm burgers, yum yum!

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

What's for dinner hun? Mealworm burgers, yum yum!

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:46 pm

I am happily Vegetarian, so one of you meat eaters is going to have to sample and rate this...

http://www.livinfarms.com/
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: What's for dinner hun? Mealworm burgers, yum yum!

Post by LowKey » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:44 pm

Send it to me and I will eat it and let you know. I've eaten insects many times before, and somewhere on this board are lovely pictures of my uncle-in-law cooking up some stir fried rat with chilies and green eggplant that was quite yummy.

Seriously, send it to me and I'll try it out and let you know. It's not a bad idea, just as chickens and pigs can turn a lot of waste into valuable protein for the table, insects can take some things we can't (or won't) eat and do the same. Ground up and mixed in with "real" meat or possibly on it's own I could see this working. Likewise chili con carnebicho.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:15 pm

I need to see recipes before I consider this. (Seriously.)

Insect protein has been an idea I've been fascinated with - after all I happily eat McRibs and cheap hot dogs. Don't think about how they're made. If it's tasty and doesn't have some off-putting texture I'll happily eat it. I've been waiting for somebody to come out with the McCricket Burger or something.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:17 pm

I saw this burger thing in an episode of "Dark Matter" recently.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:33 pm

http://www.bush-grub.co.uk/7-crispy-critters

I quite like the sound of the BBQ Mealworms ...
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:16 pm

I ate by accident some "chicken treats" that were basically this.

They were in a bowl and I thought they were pretzels. Hey! What ? It was dark...ok?

They had a texture that was not unpleasant but very bland. The texture as I chewed them was rather grits and the taste was bland and very unexciting ...like unseasoned grits.

Now when I found out what they were I have to confess my reaction was one of disgust and concern that since they were chicken treats they were not safe for human consumption.

Now this taste test involved something slight different but I bet they would taste the same...like unseasonsed grits.

Personally I would rather eat escargot, oysters or crayfish.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:07 pm

raptor wrote:Now this taste test involved something slight different but I bet they would taste the same...like unseasonsed grits.

So, you're saying they'll need cheese and/or butter? (I love grits, and have never enjoyed crustaceans much...)

You guys may be endangering my marriage, if my husband finds out I was googling mealworm recipes. :lol: There are actually a bunch of them. There are people with blogs about this, people. (Because it's the internet, of course there are mealworm eating blogs...)

But, I did find some! I think the mealworm frenchfries sound more like mealworm homefries to me, and hiding them in banana bread sounds good. Might go well in a tabouleh or a grain salad or such. You'd probably never notice them in chili...

http://www.insectsarefood.com/recipes.php?cat=18

I like this link b/c it has directions on how to kill, clean, store, and prepare the mealworms, in addition to a few recipes.

http://groundtoground.org/2013/01/30/ho ... mealworms/

Recipe for dry roasted mealworms, possibly like what raptor had, with nutritional data
http://groundtoground.org/2013/01/30/ho ... mealworms/
Live Mealworm Nutritional Values*
Protein: 20%
Fat: 13%
Fiber: 2%
Water: 62%

Dried Mealworm Nutritional Values*
Protein: 53%
Fat: 28%
Fiber: 6%
Water: 5%
Oh, and of course, mealworm fried rice!
http://www.food.com/recipe/mealworm-fried-rice-449381

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:20 pm

duodecima wrote:
raptor wrote:Now this taste test involved something slight different but I bet they would taste the same...like unseasonsed grits.

So, you're saying they'll need cheese and/or butter? (I love grits, and have never enjoyed crustaceans much...)

Things like rice and grits tend to take on the flavor of their seasonings. I am not sure the things I ate would do that since they are protein. Still anything would have added flavor. There nothing so bland as unseasoned grits.

My favorite grits dish is grits and shrimp grillades. Use this recipe and substitute the protein for the steak grillades and it will not matter what makes up the protein.

Last edited by raptor on Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:33 pm

raptor wrote:
duodecima wrote:

Things like rice and grits tend to take on the flavor of their seasonings. I am not sure the things I ate would do that since they are protein. Still anything would have added flavor.
TVP is more protein than carb, and absolutely takes on the taste of what you cook it in. I have... well, hope's perhaps too strong a word? :lol:

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:51 am

Not sure why one would bother buying a desk top meal worm farm especially for $700. They are easy enough to make out of easy to get 3 drawer organizers and you can save hundreds $ and still get similar production. Seems to me this is just over complicating a simple idea.

Insects are a great way to grow your own protein if you have minimal space. And even for folks with larger space, it might be less labor intensive and less expensive to opt for insects over some of the bigger animals.
Last edited by ineffableone on Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:17 pm

duodecima wrote: TVP is more protein than carb, and absolutely takes on the taste of what you cook it in. I have... well, hope's perhaps too strong a word? :lol:
I was not clear but honestly knowing how to cook things that are appealing and attractive is IMO very important. If you are revolted by the food to the point you do not eat it means the protein is wasted. Likewise morale is adversely impacted by poor food.

One of the reasons creole and cajun food evolved was because the plentiful protein available was not necessarily appealing. Crayfish for instance (a.k.a. mudbugs) were initially as desirable as mealworms and other bugs. Still they were plentiful and easy, low energy source of protein. The same with oysters and shrimp.

The cooking evolved to make to available food both nutritious and tasty. The same can easily be done with TVP, mealworms and almost any other protein. In fact a bland protein is IMO much better than a distinctive tasting protein like say a salted fish or anchovy. each of which have a very distinctive taste that is imparted to the dish. You either like/tolerate it or you do not.

I would much rather cook a bland source of protein that remains bland than either of these. You can mix this protein in with other sauces or spices that add a desired favor and have a flavorful, nutritious meal.

For instance the grits dish I referenced above. If you substituted TVP or mealworms for the grillards and shrimp. The dish would still be very tasty. It would not technically be grillards & grits but who cares.

I have said before and I will say it again. The ability to cook well is a very important survival skill.

It may even save your life. I offer as proof the fact that I have been at work sites where the cook was a real jerk and nobody really him but he cooked so well no one wanted to run him off. His cooking ability was valued over the other negative aspects. Obviously YMMV :D

Return to “Eats and Drinks”