It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:11 pm 

Hey folks just caught this video about Lifesaver water filters having a problem

If you go to the Lifesaver website they give you a pdf explaining the issue. http://www.lifesaversystems.com/maintenance

Quote:
Whilst the 6000uf Bottle passed the bacteria and cyst removal testing it did not pass the virus removal testing.
NSF Protocol 231 is based on EPA guidelines of 99.99% virus removal, the virus testing returned virus removal results of between 99.9% and 99.995%. Previous test data show virus removal of 99.999%.

Whilst the difference in percentage terms between the NSF protocol 231 guidelines and the test data appears to be very small, 99.9% represents a significant decrease in the effectiveness of the virus removal properties.
In light of this information, LIFESAVER recommends that the use of the 6000uf Bottle should be immediately discontinued.

So it seems the main issue is the virus filtering is not quite up to par.

Just figured worth mentioning here for any folks who do have these filters.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:45 pm 

it should be noted that Lifesaver has suggested at the bottom of the pdf that none of their filters be used until further testing can verify if they work properly or not

Quote:
OTHER LIFESAVER WATER FILTERS
LIFESAVER’s technical team is currently in the process of investigating other LIFESAVER water
filters for compliance. On the information currently available LIFESAVER estimates that this
process will take approximately 2-3 weeks. As a precaution and as a matter of prudence
LIFESAVER has taken the decision to immediately cease dispatch of all LIFESAVER water filters
to customers until this investigation process is complete.
Whilst LIFESAVER is carrying out this further testing on its other water filters, LIFESAVER
recommends that users refrain from using LIFESAVER water filters particularly in areas
where virus infection is suspected, until notified otherwise by LIFESAVER.
LIFESAVER advises all distributors to quarantine existing stock and pass on this warning
notice to customers and users wherever possible.

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:19 pm 

An update on the Lifesaver issue http://www.lifesaversystems.com/maintenance

From my understanding of corporate legal BS, I think this basically means they are selling the company and doing nothing to help the many customers of their product. That they have stopped looking into the problem they discovered, left it unknown if it was just the one filter type or all of their products, and are trying to pawn off the problem to someone who would be willing to buy it from them.

In otherwords they realized they screwed up and are trying to cut their losses and get out without addressing the problem or the many people left holding the company's filters. Which really sucks since they marketed a ton of these to 3rd world poor, where the virus component is actually quite vital and a viruses in water is a very real issue.

A really crappy move by them, and really sad for all the owners of Lifesaver filters.

This sort of thing is exactly why I am such a proponent of the Katadyn filters. Katadyn is an established company who has been around for decades and is not likely to disappear anytime soon. Their Pocket filter has 50+ years of field use proof of effectiveness and does exactly what it says it can. With something as serious and important like water filtration, I believe in being able to trust the equipment and company to do it's job.

Again sorry to hear this development for all the Lifesaver owners. hate being the bearer of such bad news.

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:20 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Their (former) Australian distributor's website suggests there have been troubles for a year or so. Perhaps the recent unsatisfactory filter test results are the final straw.

http://lifesaverbottleaus.com/
Quote:
Please be advised that due irrevocable differences this website is now closed for retails sales and support .

All queries and warranty support is now carried out by the manufacturer LIFESAVER Systems Ltd in the United Kingdom. You can contact them via email on

info at lifesaversystems.com

guymarshlain at lifesaversystems.com

ianselby at lifesaversystems.com

http://www.lifesaversystems.com

+44 (0) 1206 580 999

We believed the LIFESAVER Systems product to be the best on the market for water filtration. However due to some issues with the quality of the products we are no longer able to support this product locally.

LSS Known Issues

Jerry Cans - Leaking taps

The jerry can cannot be left pressurised as stated in the instruction manual. If the jerry can is left pressurised the tap will leak water. The only way to avoid this is to release the pressure in the jerry can between use.

The fault has been reported numerous times over the last 2 years and has been confirmed by LSS as an issue. A completely new design of tap was devised and put to management at the end of 2014 however has not been approved for production as yet.

If your jerry can tap is leaking, please contact LIFESAVER Systems Ltd with your details.

Bottles - Lack of Accessories

The bottles, both the 4000UF and the 6000UF models originally came with a strap, spare teat and pot of food grade glycerin for maintenance of the seals, as referred to in the user manual.

At some time in 2014 these accessories were removed from the bottle packs, without any reduction in price. These items are now sold separately.

If you have purchased a bottle and do not have the food grade glycerin that you need to maintain seals of your bottle, we recommend that you contact LIFESAVER Systems Ltd to have a pot posted to you.

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.