It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I came across this youtube playlist on pemmican from Jas. Townsend & Son. It has some historical info, a traditional recipe, as well as a couple of recipes that make use of pemmican. The pemmican hash looks interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4e4wpjna1vxXNa7kCTF3i2LzFE9uKPPU

That channel as all kinds of excellent 18th century recipes. I am thinking that perhaps pemmican and ships biscuits (hardtack) would would go nicely together.

*EDIT*

I was just thinking that it might be interesting to pressure can pemmican hash. Just mix finely diced potato with pemmican, pack it into a mason jar and stick it in the canner. I bet that would keep for quite a long time. Since everything is cooked all you would need to do is heat and eat. Any ideas as to how long something like that should be canned? I am guessing not as long as raw meat. I am thinking that mainly you would be doing it long enough to cook the potatoes.

Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 am 

Purple_Mutant wrote:
Thanks for the replies everyone. This has gotten the gears in my head turning. I think it might be good to do two basic types of rations. One would be a high calorie emergency ration along the lines of the mainstay bars. Something that would be strictly for emergencies. The other one would be along the lines of an energy bar. Perhaps that one could be called the Z Bar. My sister does an engery bar based on the Mexican candy Alegria. It's made with popped amaranth and honey. My sister adds green tea to hers for a caffeine boost. I will have to get the recipe from her.

Those peanut butter bars tacair posted look interesting. I wonder how effectively those can be made with regular rolled oats? I have plenty of regular rolled oats on hand.

Ironically that name is already taken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:05 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I was already aware of the cliff Z bar. If I had any plans to market the Z bar, then I might be worried.

Acronyms

My photography and art

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Halfapint wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
I like this idea, and could probably come up with some ideas of my own, but..... First. Pemican. It's been around for ages, is high calorie and is easy to make. Now, pemican is not perfect. It is damn near impossible to eat raw, you generally have to soak it. It also makes you VERY thirsty. So maybe make them some sort of coastguard ration, where it doesn't make you thirsty. That would make things a bit more difficult.

The biggest downside to pemican is that many people don't eat meat. I want the resulting product to be edible by as many people as possible. Coast guard type rations are what I originally had in mind. I decided to start with D ration partly because I have a thing for military stuff. That and the fact that it's a fairly simple recipe that doesn't require baking.

Most pemican anymore doesn't come with meat. VERY traditional stuff did, but the pemican I had in Philmont (boy scout camp) was HORRRIIIIIIIDDDDD it was the worst. Though, it would power you for a day with 1 or 2 bars. it was very much vegetarian, possibly even vegan.

What was in that "pemican" you had? I am a vegan these days and would LOVE a vegan pemican recipe. I have been tempted to make a traditional style pemican but vegan. I am thinking Butler soy curls and cocoa butter or maybe Crisco. Crisco is loaded with trans fats which is why I avoid it. But for an emergency a few trans fats aren't going to kill you. I need to see what vegan fats have the same melting point as tallow. That would be a good starting point. Then I could figure out what kind of vegan "meat" to use. Maybe some dehydrated seitan or something.

Acronyms

My photography and art

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:52 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The only time I tried to make ration bars was after reading about hackberries being a primary long term storage food for our prehistoric ancesters. I collected a bunch of them, ground them to mash with a mortar and pestle, formed blocks and air dried them.

The hackberry paste flavor was pretty dang good however the gritty residue from having to crush the seeds was gawd-awful bad. Theoretically, it should have had a long shelf life if kept cool and dry.

Instead, I added water and simmered it, added yeast and made a not too bad beer.