DIY high calorie ration bars

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

DIY high calorie ration bars

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:16 am

I have been curious to try out some of the high calorie ration bars out there. The problem is that they aren't cheap and aren't readily available. So I have been thinking of making my own. It occurred to me that it would be cool if this were a collaborative project. We could share ideas and post experiments we have tried. The goal would be to come up with a recipe that is relatively simple and made from ingredients that are relatively easy to come by in the US. If some of the ingredients aren't available in other countries we could come up with substitutions. I have dubbed the resulting product: The Z Ration. Being the artistic sort, I cooked up a label for it. Here is what I came up with

The graphic is freely available for anyone to use. Given the similarities to the ZS logo, I will gladly take it down if I am in violation of ZS trademarks. Here is a link to it on my flickr with a high resolution graphic.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19914179@ ... 59666389//

Here is what I was thinking the criteria could be for the ration.

1. Simple: The recipe needs to be reasonably simple and made from reasonably easy to acquire ingredients.
2. High calorie: We want to pack a bunch of calories into a small package.
3. Good shelf life: It should be good for at least a year. You want something you can stick in your BOB and not worry about.
4. Edible: First and foremost it needs to not make you sick. Second, it should taste good. It doesn't have to be a gourmet desert, but it should taste better than dirt.
5. Universal: It should be consumable by as many people as possible. First we need to eliminate ingredients people can't eat; then eliminate things people choose not to eat. The most common food allergens need to be removed. The ones that come to mind are gluten, dairy, and nuts/peanuts. If the bar is vegan that would eliminate most of the things people choose not to eat as well as some allergens.

If anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

For my first venture into ration bars I am going to start with the US military D ration. Here is some info from wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... _chocolate

Here are some modern D ration recipes I found

http://www.mreinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3560
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Nrksqi3ark4/U ... n+Dart.jpg
http://www.atomicshrimp.com/st/content/d_ration_bars
http://histomil.com/viewtopic.php?f=272&t=6993

For my first attempt I am going to use things I have on hand. Here is what I have in mind

Ibarra Mexican chocolate
Sugar
Oat flour
Coconut oil
Vanilla

Coconut oil doesn't have as high a melting point as cocoa butter or wax. But it does have a reasonably high melting point, is easier to get than cocoa butter, and is more appetizing than wax. It's also very saturated which gives it a shelf life of 2 years. That should help extend the shelf life of the bars. Fat is also high in calories. I have also been thinking about trying crisco. I am not fond of hydrogenated oils; but a little trans fat in an emergency ration wont kill you.

Once I get around to making a batch I will post some pictures.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: DIY high calorie ration bars

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:23 am

I like this idea, and could probably come up with some ideas of my own, but..... First. Pemican. It's been around for ages, is high calorie and is easy to make. Now, pemican is not perfect. It is damn near impossible to eat raw, you generally have to soak it. It also makes you VERY thirsty. So maybe make them some sort of coastguard ration, where it doesn't make you thirsty. That would make things a bit more difficult.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:27 am

Halfapint wrote:I like this idea, and could probably come up with some ideas of my own, but..... First. Pemican. It's been around for ages, is high calorie and is easy to make. Now, pemican is not perfect. It is damn near impossible to eat raw, you generally have to soak it. It also makes you VERY thirsty. So maybe make them some sort of coastguard ration, where it doesn't make you thirsty. That would make things a bit more difficult.
The biggest downside to pemican is that many people don't eat meat. I want the resulting product to be edible by as many people as possible. Coast guard type rations are what I originally had in mind. I decided to start with D ration partly because I have a thing for military stuff. That and the fact that it's a fairly simple recipe that doesn't require baking.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:47 am

Purple_Mutant wrote:
Halfapint wrote:I like this idea, and could probably come up with some ideas of my own, but..... First. Pemican. It's been around for ages, is high calorie and is easy to make. Now, pemican is not perfect. It is damn near impossible to eat raw, you generally have to soak it. It also makes you VERY thirsty. So maybe make them some sort of coastguard ration, where it doesn't make you thirsty. That would make things a bit more difficult.
The biggest downside to pemican is that many people don't eat meat. I want the resulting product to be edible by as many people as possible. Coast guard type rations are what I originally had in mind. I decided to start with D ration partly because I have a thing for military stuff. That and the fact that it's a fairly simple recipe that doesn't require baking.
Most pemican anymore doesn't come with meat. VERY traditional stuff did, but the pemican I had in Philmont (boy scout camp) was HORRRIIIIIIIDDDDD it was the worst. Though, it would power you for a day with 1 or 2 bars. it was very much vegetarian, possibly even vegan.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:01 am

Halfapint wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:
Most pemican anymore doesn't come with meat. VERY traditional stuff did, but the pemican I had in Philmont (boy scout camp) was HORRRIIIIIIIDDDDD it was the worst. Though, it would power you for a day with 1 or 2 bars. it was very much vegetarian, possibly even vegan.
I guess I don't quite understand what pemican is. I assumed it was just dried meat.

Acronyms

My photography and art

jdavidboyd

Post by jdavidboyd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:26 am

Right. The average definition I find for pemmican is:

a paste of dried and pounded meat mixed with melted fat and other ingredients, originally made by North American Indians and later adapted by Arctic explorers

very much meat based...
What's so funny 'bout peace, love, and understanding?

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:17 am

Hardtack is just flour, salt and water. Problem is its not that high in calories, real low in fat, and taste dry. Most fats have a short shelf life....well except for Crisco. Hardtack dipped in Crisco?

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... pe=1296284

http://www.crisco.com/about_crisco/faqs.aspx

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:Hardtack is just flour, salt and water. Problem is its not that high in calories, real low in fat, and taste dry. Most fats have a short shelf life....well except for Crisco. Hardtack dipped in Crisco?

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-d ... pe=1296284

http://www.crisco.com/about_crisco/faqs.aspx
I have thought about hardtack in the past. I wonder how well it would work with something other than wheat flour?

Acronyms

My photography and art

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:35 pm

jdavidboyd wrote:Right. The average definition I find for pemmican is:

a paste of dried and pounded meat mixed with melted fat and other ingredients, originally made by North American Indians and later adapted by Arctic explorers

very much meat based...
They're probably thinking of Bear Valley "Pemmican". It's a brand name for a non-meat based energy bar. Since it does contain other animal products, it couldn't be considered vegan.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:40 pm

There are four easy to make, basic, easy to carry, and energy-packed trails foods,
parched corn, hardtack, pemmican, and jerky. Real old school stuff.

I made some the .mil D ration. Used flat Hersey bars vice the chips. Adding the paraffin is tricky. First tried pouring the resulting goop (smelled good tho) into small silicon cupcake trays. Not so good. Second batch went into candy molds, these were plastic. Better. The ratio to oat flour and chocolate,IMO is the key to success. The sugar in the candy bars that I used made these so sweet even the kiddos took a pass.

Also, instead of oat flour - some have used protein powder.

4 oz Chocolate Chips
2 oz Protein Powder
1 oz bee wax ( parrafin works too)
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)

melt wax and chocolate in double boiler
add protein powder and pepper
Mix completely - some effort required.

pour into mold (the recipe I found (above) used cheap soap dish with a bit of cooking spray) the result is a big hunk of slightly gritty chocolate the won't melt under normal circumstances

estimated each bar is about 1100 calories with 40 g of protein.

As for the Pemmican - (H/T Backwoods home)
If you can't quite bring yourself to eat the real thing yet, try this substitute:

1 part jerky
1 part peanuts or pecans, unroasted
1 part raisins
1 part any seedless dried fruit(s) not preserved with sulfites—apples, peaches, blueberries, etc.
Peanut butter and honey, in a two-to-one ratio
Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional, but contrasts nicely with the sweet fruits and honey.)

Powder the jerky in a blender. Add fruit and nuts. Microwave honey and peanut butter to soften them, then blend them into the mixture. (Use less than you think you'll need, just enough to bind everything together. If you get it wrong, it's easier to add more peanut butter and honey than to add more of everything else.) Add cayenne pepper, working it in thoroughly. Store in plastic bags.

The folks at Practical Primitive have a step by step w/photos for making traditional pemmican with no fire/heat.
http://www.practicalprimitive.com/skill ... mican.html

Some prior ZS thoughts on this -
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=93064

for meatless pemmican using
Piñones (pine nuts) 1/2 cup
Pepitas (pumpkin seeds, hulled) 1/2 cup
Almonds 1/2 cup
Pecans 1/4 cup
Dried Cherry 1/2 cup
Dried Blueberry 1/4 cup
Dried Apricot 1/2 cup
Dried Apple 1/2 cup
Salt 1 tsp
Coconut Oil 1 tsp
http://tracelesswarrior.blogspot.com/20 ... mican.html has a step by step with photos. Interesting, as the writer is diabetic. He adds this:
Note: If you are diabetic avoid using dates. Date sugar has a higher glycemic index than glucose (date sugar is 103 to 106, glucose is 100) Dates will always spike my blood sugar. Worth remembering.

I had no idea dates were so sugar rich....

another-

1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried dates, pitted
1/2 cup dried fig, stems removed
1/2 cup whole almond
1/2 cup cashews
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup wheat bran
1 tablespoon flax seed, ground
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup honey
These require baking. See http://www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-p ... ars-158852 for the how-to

Finally, if you posses weak cook-fu....

No-Bake Peanut Butter Energy Bars
1 cup peanut butter
3/4 cup honey
3 cups quick (fast cooking) oatmeal

Combine the peanut butter and honey in a medium saucepan and warm over low heat. Stir constantly until mixed thoroughly. Remove from heat and add in the dry oatmeal and any optional items. Press into a 9×9 inch ungreased pan and let cool. Cut into bars and store in plastic baggies. No need to refrigerate.
Makes 16 (2×2 inch) bars

Customize by adding dried fruit, nuts, coconut, protein powder, seeds, flax, or wheat germ. {I would suggest reducing the oatmeal by the same amount of protein powder used.)

Looking forward to seeing what other folks come up with for a "Z-ration"
Last edited by TacAir on Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Just like 'mincemeat', pemmican started out as almost all meat and has morphed into meatless-ness.
A good 'meatless pemmican' bar is full of dried fruit and grains, and will definitely fill you up.
-
Homemade pemmican bar recipes, many meatless...
http://histomil.com/viewtopic.php?f=272 ... 5ac1d2934b
-
Some of the soft granola recipes on this thread may help point you in the direction you wish to go - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=49112
Here is the thread on cabin crackers & hardtack - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=25976
--
EDIT to add link regarding D-ration recipe
- viewtopic.php?f=50&t=24685
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. This has gotten the gears in my head turning. I think it might be good to do two basic types of rations. One would be a high calorie emergency ration along the lines of the mainstay bars. Something that would be strictly for emergencies. The other one would be along the lines of an energy bar. Perhaps that one could be called the Z Bar. My sister does an engery bar based on the Mexican candy Alegria. It's made with popped amaranth and honey. My sister adds green tea to hers for a caffeine boost. I will have to get the recipe from her.

Those peanut butter bars tacair posted look interesting. I wonder how effectively those can be made with regular rolled oats? I have plenty of regular rolled oats on hand.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:36 pm

For some reason my last reply didn't seem to post. I was saying same thing as zombie granny, in that a lot of things morph and evolve. cv66er is spot on, I remember that brand but there are a few others that were horrid, that one I don't think tasted all that bad and wasn't nearly as hard and needed to be soaked.

I was thinking last night about making some for short term and using using bacon grease as a flavor/fat/calorie enhancer. They wouldn't be good for long term because the fat would turn rancid but for a short term, high caloric burning jobs, a mix of nuts, fruits, held together with flour and some sort of animal fat, I think would be rather tasty and packed with lots of calories.

For longer term you may want to get rid of the nuts because the nuts can turn rancid, you'd also want to supplement with vitamins. For long term disaster preparedness vitamins are going to be the things that help keep those old ailments that sailors and the first settlers got.

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:38 pm

I just looked at some of the pemmican links posted. That looks like a great alternative to a commercial energy bar. I will have give some form of pemmican a try. Since I have a food dehydrator I may go ahead and fire that up to dry the fruit. For a variety with meat I was thinking Rousong might work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rousong

It's meat with a consistency similar to cotton candy. It's an odd texture but should work well for pemmican. The stuff I have found at my local Asian mart is called "pork sung" or "pork fu". I am not quite sure what the difference is between the sung and the fu. If I remember right they did taste slightly different. I may have to pick up some more pork sung next time I am at the Asian mart. Of course this wouldn't meet (meat? lol) my criteria for the z bar since many people object to the eating of pork or meat in general.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Murphman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Murphman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:24 pm

Why not have a meat version and a vegan version?

Not sure if it is cost effective to consider, but chia has a ton of protein and would help everything stick together.
"If you are prepped for pandemic flu, you are more than prepped for Ebola. And pandemic flu is hella more likely, that's the one that scares me, personally." - Duodecima...and she's a freaking doctor. What are you?

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Murphman wrote:Why not have a meat version and a vegan version?

Not sure if it is cost effective to consider, but chia has a ton of protein and would help everything stick together.
Yea we could do different kind of rations. Although I would like to come with something that most people can eat. That should be the main Z ration.

I put chia seeds in my oat meal. That would be good to add to a pemmican style bar or an alegria.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:57 pm

Protein is definitely something NOT to overlook. Protein powder was already suggested in a recipe but from personal experience making my own protein bars for myself and other people, use Rice Protein. It's not too expensive but it seems to be the least offensive to people.

My personal recipe is rice protein, some form of chocolate powder like Nesquik, oats, honey, and peanut butter. I think the ratio is 4 to 1 on Peanut Butter and Honey, microwave the peanut butter until it's liquid, stir in honey, oats, nesquik, and protein powder. Flatten it into a cookie sheet, then refrigerate until it's solid enough to do whatever you want with. If you wanted it to be high calorie, buy some chocolate weight gainer and you can add a lot of calorie content to it.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Dragon80 wrote:Protein is definitely something NOT to overlook. Protein powder was already suggested in a recipe but from personal experience making my own protein bars for myself and other people, use Rice Protein. It's not too expensive but it seems to be the least offensive to people.

My personal recipe is rice protein, some form of chocolate powder like Nesquik, oats, honey, and peanut butter. I think the ratio is 4 to 1 on Peanut Butter and Honey, microwave the peanut butter until it's liquid, stir in honey, oats, nesquik, and protein powder. Flatten it into a cookie sheet, then refrigerate until it's solid enough to do whatever you want with. If you wanted it to be high calorie, buy some chocolate weight gainer and you can add a lot of calorie content to it.
Yea protein is something to look into. The only downside is that some types of protein powders aren't readily available. In fact right off the top of my head I can't think of any type of protein powder at my local grocery store. In the past I have baked using lentil flour. I just ground up the lentils and tossed them in the recipe. Peanut butter is another option, but some people are allergic to peanuts. Since I don't have a peanut allergy, I may try that. The earth blend coconut and peanut spread is shelf stable without hydrogenated oils. It uses coconut oil and palm oil instead. The use of tropical oils should help with shelf life. I think I may add some coconut & spread to my D ration experiment. Although I do want to make one as I laid out in the original post.

Does anyone know of any good alternatives to peanut butter that people are less likely to be allergic too?

Acronyms

My photography and art

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:20 am

I cooked up a modified D ration. I started with the original recipe and made some slight modifications. Here is the recipe I used

1 bar (113g) unsweetened baking chocolate
113g granulated white sugar
30g refined coconut oil
25g oat flour. I ran some rolled oats through my grain mill
touch of vanilla extract

Here are some pictures of the process.

Ingredients weighed out and ready to go.

Chocolate in a double boiler.

Once chocolate was melted a little bit; coconut oil was added. Mixture was stirred until everything was melted together. A touch of vanilla extract was added at this point.

Sugar added and mixture stirred until combined.

Oat flour added and mixture stirred until combined.

Mixture poured into a bread pan lined with waxed paper. The pan was then put in the refrigerator to cool.

After cooling in the refrigerator.

Removed from pan and sliced for tasting.

Cut up into small bars.

Side of bar showing texture.

The taste wasn't that bad. The texture was soft and a little gritty. It doesn't seem like this version would have the heat resistance of the original. I can see why modern recipes call for wax. Even though the flavor isn't great, it still makes you want to eat more. At least it did for me. After eating a few bars I started feeling a little of nausea and unpleasantness in my stomach. I can see why they instructed soldiers to eat it slowly. If you ate the whole batch in one go it might make you vomit. Or at least you wouldn't feel well. Perhaps a D ration could be put in your FAK in place of syrup of ipecac. Emergency food and a treatment for poison all in one convenient package. :mrgreen: :lol:

Instead of a big bar, individually wrapped pieces would be a better option. That should help moderate consumption. A silicone candy mold would be a good option.

Overall I am fairly satisfied with the experiment. But I am not sure if I would want to use this as my emergency ration. Given the simplicity of the recipe and the availability of ingredients; I say give it try. Since I have another bar of baking chocolate I may make another batch with modified proportions. I think I may add more oat flour to see if that makes the texture harder. I am also tempted to add powdered milk since I have some. It might be interesting to try something close to the original.

Acronyms

My photography and art

cv66er
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Being originally from Butler County in Pennsylvania...

Post by cv66er » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:Does anyone know of any good alternatives to peanut butter that people are less likely to be allergic too?
Almond/cashew/hazelnut/pistachio butter
Soy butter
Sunflower butter
Pea butter

Lots of alternatives out there.

Almost forgot...tahini (sesame seed butter)

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:18 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:I cooked up a modified D ration. I started with the original recipe and made some slight modifications. Here is the recipe I used

1 bar (113g) unsweetened baking chocolate
113g granulated white sugar
30g refined coconut oil
25g oat flour. I ran some rolled oats through my grain mill
touch of vanilla extract

(SNIP)

The taste wasn't that bad. The texture was soft and a little gritty. It doesn't seem like this version would have the heat resistance of the original. I can see why modern recipes call for wax. Even though the flavor isn't great, it still makes you want to eat more. At least it did for me. After eating a few bars I started feeling a little of nausea and unpleasantness in my stomach. I can see why they instructed soldiers to eat it slowly. If you ate the whole batch in one go it might make you vomit. Or at least you wouldn't feel well. Perhaps a D ration could be put in your FAK in place of syrup of ipecac. Emergency food and a treatment for poison all in one convenient package. :mrgreen: :lol:

Instead of a big bar, individually wrapped pieces would be a better option. That should help moderate consumption. A silicone candy mold would be a good option.

Overall I am fairly satisfied with the experiment. But I am not sure if I would want to use this as my emergency ration. Given the simplicity of the recipe and the availability of ingredients; I say give it try. Since I have another bar of baking chocolate I may make another batch with modified proportions. I think I may add more oat flour to see if that makes the texture harder. I am also tempted to add powdered milk since I have some. It might be interesting to try something close to the original.
My two tries were never that 'wet' looking, I used a spatula to load up the molds. Used less sugar owing to the use of the candy bars.

AS far as tummy trouble, hard to say what might cause it, the unsweetened baking chocolate may be the main culprit.

Thanks for the pics, very interesting. As an aside, I used Red's oat flour and Gulf paraffin.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:04 pm

I have to try making those!

I'm guessing one possible reason for the softer texture is the coconut oil - it's only solid up to about 78 degrees, and I'd be worried about coconut oil or crisco going off long before gulf wax. Which I have a couple bricks of in storage, along with a a lot of oatmeal I can grind to flour, a ton of sugar, a whole bunch of unsweetened chocolate, and several pints of vanilla. This is a ration bar I can actually make from food storage itself!

And if I'd eaten something with that much fat and sugar in it (chocolate and coconut oil!) I know my gut would have gone into open revolt as well.

I have made my own "emergency ration bars" a couple years ago, and vacuum packed them. They were a bit dry but still about as palatable as when they started after a year. I think I have one in a BOB yet, made in summer 2012. They received decent reviews (as in people ate more than one piece) at a ZS020 event in Spring of 2013. I'll open it up and do a review sometime.
Ingredients: 2 cups oats
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 cup sugar 3 TB honey
1 3 oz package jello (orange or lemon)
3 TB water

Copyright © 2014 - Food Storage and Survival - Read more at: http://foodstorageandsurvival.com/make- ... ival-bars/
Directions, with pics, at the website I got if from. Not vegan, what with the powdered milk, the gelatin, and for some vegans the honey. I ended up preferring strawberry or lime jello, but I also made some with just plain gelatin which were fine too. I used instant oats. Can be mixed with boiling water to make a sweet oatmeal, or just eaten dry. I broke them into 800 kcal increments before I packed them iirc.

It didn't end up being too much cheaper than daytrex, tho, when I did the numbers at the time. I mostly made them for a friend who had issues with wheat.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:17 pm

cv66er wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:Does anyone know of any good alternatives to peanut butter that people are less likely to be allergic too?
Almond/cashew/hazelnut/pistachio butter
Soy butter
Sunflower butter
Pea butter

Lots of alternatives out there.

Almost forgot...tahini (sesame seed butter)
Thanks for the info. I was looking at tahini at the grocery store recently. I may have to pick some up to experiment with. I may have to try a D ration experiment with peanut butter or tahini.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:33 am

I just came across this pemmican recipe that is made with beef hearts

http://www.nutritionismedicine.ca/2014/ ... aking.html

Looks like beef heart is very nutritious. It's jam packed with vitamin B-12. Here is some info on that.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/beef-he ... -4103.html

http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/wh ... mal-organs

Looks like organ meat is a great option for pemmican. With any sort of ration you want to pack a whole lot of nutrition into a small package. So might as well go with the most nutrient dense parts of the animal. According to those articles beef heart is cheaper than steak, so that's another win. I may have to see if I can find some beef heart. Besides a butcher shop I am thinking of checking the Mexican market or the Asian market. There is a Mexican market in town I have been meaning to visit. So I may check there first.

I also came across a company that sells animal fats from pasture raised animals.

http://www.fatworksfoods.com/

I am thinking of ordering some beef tallow for pemmican experiments.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Return to “Eats and Drinks”