Muffins (Now with Bonus Pancakes!) (pic heavy)

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Muffins (Now with Bonus Pancakes!) (pic heavy)

Post by Halfapint » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:16 pm

Just found this..... Not sure how it escaped me, but I agree with TacAir I definitely became morbidly obese reading this thread.

Also when the PAW happens, I'm showing up on your door step. Nom Nom Nom
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:14 pm

Halfapint wrote:Also when the PAW happens, I'm showing up on your door step. Nom Nom Nom
I will barter muffins for spices or other ingredients. (Seriously, cinnamon does not grow in my AO...). Since it's you, Halfapint, I'm sure we can negotiate work for a place to hang your hammock. As with many people, my beds & couches are already spoken for. Now, for the next installment :

Banana (chip) Muffins.

These are the same base recipe as the earlier Zucchini muffins.

2.5 c whole wheat pastry flour
¾ c sugar
1.5T non-instant dried milk powder (or 3T instant dry milk) *
1T egg powder **
1.5 t baking soda
½ t cinnamon (optional)
pinch salt

1/2c water
1.5 T vinegar
1/3c oil
1c rehydrated and mashed banana chips

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together. Fold wet into dry (this requires a bit more folding than usual if zucchini is grated instead of pureed.) Allow to sit while oven preheats. Scoop into muffin pan (greased or papered). Bake 350*F for about 25 min, rotating once.

I rehydrated some random banana chips I bought at the grocery store. They have oil and sugar added (and you could see some oil on the water) and frankly they weren't super great banana chips to begin with, so that may be why the muffins were merely good and not really excellent. I haven't tried dehydrated banana chips from honeyville or thrive or anything like that, might be better.

2 methods for rehydration - cover with boiling water and let stand for 1 hour, or cover with water, boil and simmer 15 min. I think I prefer the 15 min simmer, easier to mash. But both worked fine in the muffin. Save the banana water for the 1/2 cup water you're adding to the dough.

They're good muffins, don't get me wrong, but I was trying to punch them up a bit, so I doubled the banana, cut back to 1/2 cup sugar, and added 1/8 tsp each cinnamon and nutmeg. They were moister but otherwise not a lot of difference. I suppose it depends on how much banana you're wanting to use up, or how low on sugar you are.

"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Muffins

Post by duodecima » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:50 pm

wee drop o' bush wrote:They look scrumptious Duo.
Carrot muffins with cream cheese frosting please Duo :clap:
This is all officially wee drop’s fault.

The first attempts crumbled and got turned into muffin balls, so I tried a different recipe. Which works Much Better. Fantastic, in fact, we’ve eaten a lot of them! My non-prepper mother loves them, also the picky eater child. Altho it is still key to cool the muffins completely before you peel them out of their papers or a noticeable amount of muffin crumbs stick to the paper. I’ll be going back to work on the first recipe at some point – it included oatmeal. There will be faux-cream-cheese frosting, but I haven’t had time to work that out yet.

Carrot Cake Muffins for the PAW
Makes approx. 14 muffins
Modified from this recipe :
http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013 ... ke-muffins

2 ½ C whole wheat pastry flour (*1)
2t baking soda
1/3 c dry milk (*2)
2T egg powder
2t cinnamon
1t nutmeg
½ t ground allspice
½ t ground cloves
pinch salt

1/3 C oil
1/3 C sugar
1t vanilla
1t molasses
1 2/3 c water (*3)

2/3 C dehydrated carrot pieces, pulverized and rehydrated (*4)

optional – 2/3 C raisins (mixed with 1 t flour) or chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375*F. Grease or place muffin cups in muffin pan.

Rehydrate carrots (1 part carrots to 2 parts water – 10 min if hot/boiling water, 20 min if cold)

Toss raisins with 1 t flour

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients+sugar in another bowl. Add dry to wet, mix well (a few lumps are fine). Fold in carrot and raisins.

Spoon into muffin cups (mostly full) and bake 25-30 min (rotate once).

Remove from muffin tin and cool completely.

*1 – as always, whole wheat pastry flour means flour from hard white wheat, which is what is pictured in the “ingredients group shot” because I had used up all the flour on baking this morning.

*2 – as always, dry milk means non-instant, the kind you get from the LDS food storage centers. If using instant, double the amount. If using actual milk, replace 1 1/3 cups of the water with milk.

*3 – If there is any excess water to drain off the carrots (there may not be), use it as part of the water

*4 – I use my blender to pulverize the carrots (this is dusty). Under no-power conditions I think a mortar and pestle would work better than a knife, or rehydrate first and then try to chop even finer.

I realize raisins and nuts aren’t long-term food storage, but they last quite a while – raisins a couple of years easily - and could easily be part of a 90-day pantry. Also, they are not uncommon for people to be able to grow/make. I’m sure walnuts or other nuts could be substituted for pecans. The original recipe called for golden raisins (which I have been using because I have them) but I am sure regular raisins would be good. Some carrot cake recipes use pineapple bits instead (I would think they’d need to be well drained…) The raisins and/or nuts could also simply be omitted and they’d still be really great muffins.

Also, it's got spices! Pretty much requires them to be a traditional carrot cake (I should try it without, just as a carrot-only muffin sometime...) But cinnamon can be bought as either sticks or bark (very cheap in a lot of asian food stores), cloves and allspice and nutmegs also come whole. I confess, at the moment, that I've stopped hassling with grinding those and just buy powdered cloves and allspice and nutmeg at the store. Not basic long term storage but certainly can be stored for years - they'll loose some of their awesome magical freshness but I've had good experiences with ground cinnamon that was about a decade old.

I have done my usual substitutions – 1T egg powder + 2T water per egg, dry milk + water for the milk, sugar + molasses for brown sugar, ½ t baking soda + ½ T vinegar for 1 tsp baking powder. (cream of tartar also works.) I have not tried it with any other egg replacers yet (I think there’s several options that might work – pumpkin, banana, soy flour, extra oil, probably others…)

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Muffins (Now with Bonus Pancakes!) (pic heavy)

Post by wee drop o' bush » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:07 am

:rofl:
Glad to be of service!!!
That's inspired Duo and also tasty :clap:
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Food Storage Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
(aka Oh Noes We're Out of Milk and Eggs!)

This is yet another variation on this original recipe.
Which I had previously modified here : viewtopic.php?f=50&t=113916#p2539951

Dry
2.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

Wet
1.5c canned pumpkin (or cooked and mashed)
1/3 c oil

Mix dry. Mix wet. Fold wet into dry. Let rest while oven preheats. Spoon into muffin tin (greased or lined). Cook at 350*F for 25-30 min, rotating once.

These turned out a little denser and moister than the usual version. But still delicious, especially right out of the oven! I think some additional spices would be good, but I actually made this version for someone with crazy food allergies who's on an elimination diet (but wheat's ok, thankfully!). They think they've got at least one of the big problems figured out, and will be adding dairy back in a week or two (but eggs are right out...). Also vinegar was out due to allergies, so I went back to baking powder (actually baking soda mixed 1:2 with cream of tartar). So there was a chance that allspice was going to cross react with a known allergy, nutmeg seemed less likely but I decided to just stick with cinnamon for now.

But - good news! pumpkin works as a good replacement for egg, tho you have to decrease the liquid (and since i was eliminating the milk I just added extra pumpkin.)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Muffins

Post by duodecima » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:13 am

wee drop o' bush wrote:Wait!!! Chocolate Zucchini Cake? :ooh:
Yep. Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Made it with food storage ingredients this weekend, tho there are no pics as I was busy supervising a pair of 8 year olds making it. Turned out fine - slightly on the dry side, since I made it with whole wheat it may need a little extra liquid. But it's disappearing quickly, so obviously not a big problem.

I honestly have no idea where this recipe came from any more, might have been a friend, or a magazine.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

2.5 C whole wheat flour(*1)
2 C sugar
1/2 C cocoa powder
2T dry milk(*2)
3T egg powder
2.5 t baking powder(*3)
1.5 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 t salt (or less, to taste)

3/4 C oil
2/3 C water
2 t vanilla

2+ cups grated zucchini
optional - 1/2 c chocolate chips

stir together dry ingredients. Stir together wet ingredients except zucchini. Add dry to wet, mix. Fold in zucchini(&chips if using). Spread in greased 9x13 pan (or bundt pan). Bake 350*F x1 hour.

*1 - I used whole wheat flour from hard wheat berries, as it's the closer substitute for all purpose flour. But whole wheat pastry flour (from soft wheat berries) is only a little less gluten than white AP flour, and only a little more than 'cake' flour. Everything else in this thread uses soft white wheat, aka whole wheat pastry flour). I'll experiment with it the next time I have extra zucchini.

*2 - Dry milk, as always, is the stuff from the LDS pantry, not the instant milk powder from the grocery store, double amount of powder if you're using that. (Keep amount of liquid the same).

*3 - I would rather end up with my usual baking soda + vinegar combo, but I was cooking with kids so I stuck with the recipe, will experiment.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”