It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:14 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I've been working on muffins with food storage, mostly because I bought a bunch of soft white wheat, and it turns out muffins are a great thing to make with whole wheat pastry flour. I can't find another muffin thread, or a food-storage-baking thread. If I missed one, this should probably get merged! But, for the first installment...

Chocolate Muffins for the Apocalypse
Makes approx. 8 muffins

1c whole wheat pastry flour (aka soft white wheat flour)
1/2c sugar
1/2c cocoa powder
3T non-instant dry milk powder*
1/2t baking soda
1/2t baking powder
1 pinch salt

3/4 c water
6T oil**
1T vinegar

nuts and/or chocolate chips, ½-1c total – OPTIONAL

Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another bowl. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients (along with chocolate chips/nuts if using) until just barely mixed. Allow to sit 5-10 min while oven heats to 350*F, stir briefly before scooping into greased muffin pan. Cook 18 min, rotating halfway thru time. Let sit 10 min, remove from muffin pan, allow to cool.

*May replace 3T of non-instant dry milk (such as that from the LDS storage center) with 1/3 c of instant dry milk (such as carnation or generic), or may replace ¾ c water with ¾ c of milk, almond milk, or soymilk.

** bean mash may be replaced 1:1 instead of vegetable oil. Bean mash may be white, black, or pinto, since its color will be hidden by the cocoa powder.

Cook’s comments – this was a whole wheat pastry flour recipe, I imagine regular whole wheat flour (aka hard white wheat) would work but might need to be decreased a tad or might make a heavier muffin. Let me know.

I got the recipe from HERE, but it was very dry the first time I made it, with sugar replacing the honey since I have a lot more sugar than honey in storage, sugar’s cheaper and lasts forever. (I know honey lasts forever too, and crystallization doesn’t seem to matter for baking.)

I tried replacing the oil with bean mash, because I have trouble rotating as much oil as I want to keep in my food storage, and it would be harder to obtain from raw materials if we had to be self sufficient. I am assuming with some real-world support that cooking oil might be precious and scarce in an apocalypse. Beans, on the other hand, are cheap, last forever, I’ve got lots, and I’m always looking for good places to hide them so people don’t get sick of eating beans, now or in the PAW. The muffins are a bit moister with the oil, of course, one of my next batches I will try part oil part bean mash. Husband informs me they’re better with oil, I can’t taste as much difference as he can.

I am planning to experiment with using just baking soda, instead of the mix of baking soda and baking powder most muffins call for, since I have added vinegar, originally to make a butter milk substitute out of the powdered milk. Baking soda comes cheaply in 15 lb bags at Sam’s and doesn’t “expire” as quickly as baking powder, so I’ll always have more baking soda around.

I have not tried making this in a solar oven (I think it should work well in a box oven, not sure about a panel cooker because those bake differently in my experience) nor have I tried a haybox/”magic box” oven. I suspect it would work, but wanted to post rather than wait for experiments I may not make for months.

I like that this is all very basic food storage ingredients , except for the cocoa powder (approx. 5 year shelf life) and maybe the baking powder. And let’s face it, no chocolate really would be the end of the world for some of us!

Last edited by duodecima on Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Muffins
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:11 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

YAY!! Chocolate in the PAW! LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:51 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

duodecima wrote:
Baking soda comes cheaply in 15 lb bags at Sam’s and doesn’t “expire” as quickly as baking powder, so I’ll always have more baking soda around.

Make your own. Mix one part baking soda with two parts cream of tartar, and you have baking powder. Both chemicals have a long shelf life when they're kept separate.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:12 am 

Cool! The most I have done with baking and stored foods is making bannock. I'd love to see more threads on baking using preps.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:20 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I require MOAR PICTURES OF CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS :ooh:

airballrad wrote:
All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D

wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

So, I think I have my personal favorite version - I did replace all the baking powder with baking soda, and did 2T oil plus 1/4c bean mash. I really like the current texture - nice and soft but not too crumbly.

Final ingredients list
1c whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa
3T non-instant powdered milk
1t baking soda
pinch salt

3/4c water
1/4c bean mash
1.5T vinegar
2T oil

mix as in recipe, cook total 16 min (and could probably go a tad shorter).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:47 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

cv66er wrote:
duodecima wrote:
Baking soda comes cheaply in 15 lb bags at Sam’s and doesn’t “expire” as quickly as baking powder, so I’ll always have more baking soda around.

Make your own. Mix one part baking soda with two parts cream of tartar, and you have baking powder. Both chemicals have a long shelf life when they're kept separate.

*smacks self in forehead* I KNEW this. Which is why I have had a jar of cream of tartar in my spice shelf for years. And I TOTALLY FORGOT. Thank you for reminding me.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
I require MOAR PICTURES OF CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS :ooh:

Oh, very well, you greedy thing...

Next up for apocalyptic experimentation - the "Fruit-Or-Veggie-Puree-Of-Your-Choice" Muffins.
The base recipe is delicious, however I think they require a better name...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:00 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

They look scrumptious Duo.
Carrot muffins with cream cheese frosting please Duo :clap:

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

wee drop o' bush wrote:
They look scrumptious Duo.
Carrot muffins with cream cheese frosting please Duo :clap:

Carrot muffins are definitely on the list. Altho zucchini is up next because I have zucchini that needs to be dealt with.

The cream cheese frosting may be a challenge, I wonder if you could make yogurt cheese from powdered milk and do something with that... Life's busy right now, it'll be a while before I get to it. *wanders off pondering this*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:23 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I love courgettes but have never eaten them in sweet food stuffs. Do you add spices to zucchini muffins? :ooh:

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

wee drop o' bush wrote:
I love courgettes but have never eaten them in sweet food stuffs. Do you add spices to zucchini muffins? :ooh:

:shock: What else would you do with them???? Seriously, I bet 50% of the zucchini grown in US gardens ends up as zucchini bread. Which definitely gets spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, +/- allspice). Is the weather in Norn Iron such that the little devils don't produce as, um, enthusiastically, as they tend to here? Seriously, the Garrison Keillor joke about locking your car in August so nobody sticks their extra zucchini inside is only part joke.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:55 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

So, zucchini are not actually food storage. But they are an extremely common garden plant, even for beginning gardeners, and tend to produce prolifically once they come in. Also, I had a zucchini that needed to be used.

Zucchini Muffins

2.5 c whole wheat pastry flour
¾ c sugar
1.5T non-instant dried milk powder (or 3T instant dry milk) *
1T egg powder **
1.5 t baking soda
½ t cinnamon (optional)
pinch salt

1/2c water
1.5 T vinegar
1/3c oil
1c finely grated or pureed zucchini (or other fruit or vegetable puree/mash)

Mix dry ingredients together. Mix wet ingredients together. Fold wet into dry (this requires a bit more folding than usual if zucchini is grated instead of pureed.) Allow to sit while oven preheats. Scoop into muffin pan (greased or papered). Bake 350*F for about 25 min, rotating once.

This recipe started life as THIS ONE, which calls for 1c of mashed or pureed vegetable or fruit of your choice. I like versatility, as I can see using this not only for zucchini, and banana as the original recipe suggests, but also pumpkin (easy to grow, stores well when canned, goes well with whole wheat), apple (stores well in a cool place, can be reconstituted from dehydrated apples from the cannery, could use applesauce), carrot (also keeps well in root cellar, or dehydrated, or canned).

½ cup of actual milk, soy or almond milk can be substituted for the ½ c water and dry milk.

Real egg can be substituted for powdered, just mix it in the wet ingredients and subtract 1T water. I would rather get rid of the egg, as most of us don’t have chickens and egg powder is relatively more expensive with a shorter storage life. Having said that, I do have some stored. I will try eliminating it in a future version.

The original recipe suggested 1c sugar – I thought that was waaay too sweet, even for a zucchini muffin.

I think it needs a little less baking soda, I got an odd metallic taste in parts of the muffin. Will tweak it and report back. 1.5 t baking soda, with 1.5T vinegar seems to be right.

Original recipe does not call for cinnamon, but I found the muffins sweet but a tad bit boring without it. It’s not basic food storage but it’s a pretty basic spice, I keep a fair bit on hand. Less could be used, I would not use more.

I pureed the zucchini once, and grated it the other time. The puree gives the muffins a slightly greenish cast, but allows you to use up huge log-like zucchini including the seeds/pulp. I suppose you could peel it. The grated zucchini just has little green flecks like zucchini bread.

(slight edit to recipe 3/1/15)

Last edited by duodecima on Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:42 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Those look good! :ooh:
Courgettes are yummy sautéed in butter & in sweet and sour pork/chicken*, thai green curry* *sautéed and added at the end so it's still firm. My grandmother never thought to bake with the ones that she grew so we just had to eat them sautéed every day till they ran out :lol:
Edit: they mustn't grow as abundantly here because I never remember there being a surfeit of them :)

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:49 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

duodecima wrote:
What else would you do with them????

Personally, I like to grate them into a pancake batter. It makes my pancakes moister, and a bit healthier.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:49 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

cv66er wrote:
duodecima wrote:
What else would you do with them????

Personally, I like to grate them into a pancake batter. It makes my pancakes moister, and a bit healthier.
There should have been a blue tinge to that comment. :lol: As someone who's had several over-achieving zucchini plants over the years (and/or forgot to pick them before they got to be club-sized :oops: ), I have a list of Things To Do With Zucchini!

1) Pie! Savory, with onion, eggs, cheese, italian spices, and a bit of mustard.
2) Gratin
3) Added to various soups, stir fry, etc, like your grandma, Wee!
4) Halved, scooped, stuffed and baked (like a winter squash).
5) Grated and pickled as relish (Possibly my fave).
6) Sauted with onion, add corn, tomato, sour cream, chili peppers, chili powder, cumin - eat as side dish or stick in the burrito
7) Breaded and fried or sautéed in butter
8) Pasta! Lasagna, diced and tossed with other pasta dishes
9) Casserole in a tomato sauce with italian sausage and topped with cheese
10) Vegetable torte with tomato and eggplant
11) Omlettes and scrambles
12) The ever popular baked goods - bread, muffins, chocolate zucchini cake (When I had so many zucchini that husband got sick of chocolate zucchini cake, desperate measures were called for..)
13) The last resort - vegetable stock.

I hadn't thought of pancakes, that's an excellent idea, I'll add it to The List. (I'm thinking of starting a baking with food storage thread for all Things that Are Not Muffins, anybody else should feel free to beat me to it! Or add their muffins here.)

ETA - Latkes! Grate, add egg, flour, a little onion and pepper, fry in pan. Can't believe I forgot that option...

Last edited by duodecima on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:08 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Wait!!! Chocolate Zucchini Cake? :ooh:

airballrad wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:47 pm 

Oh.
Grandpa. /* ma? */

Thanks Duo! :)

Have you done any experiments with Nutella? We got a great deal (half price) a couple of years ago, and stocked up. I'm wondering about using it for cooking when one doesn't have cocoa.

Also, what is "bean mash"?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:43 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Honeypot wrote:
Oh.
Grandpa. /* ma? */

Thanks Duo! :)

Have you done any experiments with Nutella? We got a great deal (half price) a couple of years ago, and stocked up. I'm wondering about using it for cooking when one doesn't have cocoa.

Also, what is "bean mash"?

:lol: Not for some years I hope, my eldest is only 11!

I have not experimented with Nutella, in part because even at its best it's cup-for-cup more expensive than cocoa powder. Even ounce-for-ounce it's slightly more expensive. At half-price that might no longer be true. Also, all the recipes seem to want cocoa powder anyway. I suspect cocoa powder has a longer shelf life since it's got less fat, tho the listed shelf life for both is not much different. Having said that, I still have a respectable stash of Nutella for the 3-month pantry since my kids love it, and it lets me turn pretty much anything (crackers, tortillas, bread, crepes if I ever get to making them) into dessert.

Bean mash is exactly what it says on the, well, it doesn't come in a tin, does it? It's mashed beans. Either canned beans, or in my case, cooked from dry and squished with a potato masher. It can replace oil or butter in a fair number of baking recipes, altho I find it changes the texture more than it's devotee's like to acknowledge. But they're still quite edible! Just a little different. I've made chocolate chip cookies, crinkle cookies, oatmeal cookies, and brownies with it in place of the oil or butter. I find that they all were cakier, and that once they were a day or so old they were drier than the original versions. But given the relative shelf-life and ease of home production of bean mash and oil, I think it's a good option to know about. (Here's one of the blogs where I picked up the idea http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/01/04/low-fat-brownies-with-out-applesauce/food-storage-recipes) My whole wheat bread uses a little oil, I really can't tell much difference if I put in bean mash instead for regular bread.

Wee, I will get to the chocolate zucchini cake. But life is occurring right now so baking projects are seriously slowed down.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:55 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

So, it's not muffins. But I figure pancakes are still in the right spirit of things...

Food Storage Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
Modified from “The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking” by Sandra Woodruff

2/3c dry milk (or 1 1/3c instant) (1*)
3 ¼ c water (preferably hot)
3T vinegar (preferably apple cider)

1 ½ C quick-cooking oats

1 ½ C dried apple slices, broken/chopped into small pieces(*2)

2T egg powder(*3)
¼ C water

½ c whole wheat pastry flour(*4)
1T sugar
1t baking soda
¼ t cinnamon

--Place dry milk in bowl, whisk in one half of the water and beat out as many lumps as possible, then whisk in other half. Whisk in vinegar. (It WILL clump, almost immediately)
--Place quick oats in bowl with 2 ¼ c of the milk/vineager mix. Place dried apple in bowl with the remaining 1 C. Allow to sit for 10 min.
--Whisk water into egg powder.
--Place flour, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon in a small bowl, whisk together.
--After 10 min, thoroughly mix egg into the quick oats. Then thoroughly mix in the flour/sugar mix. Fold in the rehydrated apples.
--Spoon ¼ C portions onto lightly oiled griddle, spread to approx. 4” circles. Cook 1.5-3 min each side, until golden brown and cooked thru middle. Makes approx. 16 pancakes.

*1 – when I say dry milk I mean the non-instant, the kind you get at the LDS home storage center, not the kind you find at the grocery store. Also, this is substituting for the buttermilk that the original recipe comes from, by adding the vinegar to curdle it.
*2 - original recipe called for 2 medium chopped apples
*3 – obviously, 2 real eggs can also be used in place of egg powder + water. Original recipe called for 2 eggs worth of fat free egg substitute/egg whites.
*4 – whole wheat pastry flour is flour from soft white wheat. Less protein, but (and I did not know this!!!) even the hard wheat looses gluten over time “loosing half its raising power over several years.” So, all these muffin recipes may be a great thing to do with hard wheat that’s been stored for 15+ years (or less in bad conditions). Also possibly shorter shelf life but I can’t find that from any of my reputable sources. Regular white all purpose flour can be substituted as well.

I’m planning to tweak this, since I tried it for the first time this morning. It came out really well for a first try. Usually I’d do my trials and then post but that may take until New Years. I’m going to see if I can’t just soak the oats and the apples together all at once, and whether I really have to mix the egg powder and mix it into the oats first, or if I can just put the egg powder in with the dry ingredients and add an extra ¼ cup of fake buttermilk. Can I soak things in water, and add the dry milk with the other dry ingredients? (I’m actually very dubious that that will work well. But it’d be easier…) Am I putting in too much vineagar? I will have to experiment with these things.

I found this in a low-fat cookbook my MIL got at a library sale and I stole from her (with permission) before she got to it. I know a lot of folks don’t tend to think low-fat’s going to be a priority in the PAW, and they’re kinda right. But. I have trouble rotating as much cooking oil and shortening as I would want to have in the event, so anything that lets me stretch it is a bonus. Also I had a heart attack a couple years ago (no, I’m not that old, either) so my health is a key prep now, and doubly so if there’s no hospital left to go to.

I like this because it lets me use up food storage ingredients that definitely need to be rotated. (Powdered eggs are supposed to be good for 5 years, the dry apples for 20 and the quick oats for 30. But dry milk is also supposedly for 20 years but it supposedly tastes pretty off by then, and it’s not exactly gourmet NOW :gonk: .) It’s another thing that lets me use my soft white wheat (aka whole wheat pastry flour), too.

And while my kids may love pancakes, I suspect if I’m making them all the time out of food storage, even the kids will appreciate some variety. Picky eater child actually ate these with either jam or syrup. (Yes, I have stocked a LOT of syrup…)

Apple Oatmeal Pancake Update!

1) You can totally soak the apple and the oatmeal together in the milk (I mixed it from powdered) OR in just water and vineager and mix the milk in with the flour.
2) The egg powder (or soy flour, see below) can also be mixed in with the flour, and the extra water added to the oatmeal.
3) Pancakes really need something to fill the same niche the egg does – I tried using 2 heaping Tbsp of soy flour +4T water in place of the 2 eggs, in both this and the regular pancake recipe. Couldn’t really tell the difference, if anything I think they were a little less heavy this time. (the apple-oatmeal tends to be heavy in the middle)
4) These always seemed a little heavy to me so I played around with increasing the baking soda to 1 ½ tsp. Possibly the other reason they’re less heavy in the middle.
5) Due to a miscalculation, I left out about a quarter cup of liquid. I liked them better this way - if you like them thinner, by all means bump the water up a couple Tbsp.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:14 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Food Storage Apple Oatmeal Pancakes
Modified from “The Best-Kept Secrets of Healthy Cooking” by Sandra Woodruff
Makes approx. 16 pancakes

1 ½ C quick cooking oatmeal
1 ½ C dried apple slices, broken/chopped into small pieces (*1)
2 ¾ C water
2T apple cider vinegar (*2)

½ C whole wheat pastry flour(*3)
2/3 C dry milk (*4)
1T sugar
2 heaping T soy flour (OR 2T egg powder)(*5)
1 ½ t baking soda (*6)
¼ t cinnamon

-Let oatmeal and dried apples soak in water and vinegar for about 10 min or a bit longer
-Mix dry ingredients together.
-Thoroughly stir dry ingredients into oatmeal apple mix
- Spoon approx. 1/4c onto lightly oiled hot griddle, cook 1.5-3 min/side

*1 – original recipe called for 2 medium chopped apples.
*2 – white vinegar or lemon juice could also be used.
*3 – whole wheat pastry flour is from soft white wheat. I imagine regular whole wheat flour or white AP flour could be used.
*4 – by dry milk, I mean non-instant, the kind from the LDS pantry. Double the amount if using instant dry milk from the grocery store. Actual milk, or milk pre-mixed from dry, or non-dairy milk can obviously also be used.
*5 – or 2 regular eggs could be used. Possibly this could be skipped – the eggless pancake recipes I have seen use the same flour/milk/oil/baking soda ratios.
*6 – if not using the vinegar, you could use 1t baking soda + 1 t baking powder, or 3T baking powder, it may just change the taste. As I was helpfully reminded, baking powder can be made by mixing baking soda 1:1 with cream of tartar.

You’ll have to go look at the previous post for the pretty pics of cooking pancakes. I cut out a lot of the original steps where things were mixed separately and in a particular order, because that’s too complicated, gets more bowls dirty and turns out not to make much difference. I accidentally left almost a cup of water out one time – and I liked the way they turned out! So I cut back on the water from previous. I like pancakes because they can be cooked over direct heat and don’t require an oven (more complicated, takes more fuel).

There are 2 ingredients here which aren’t the most basic of food storage, but they all store pretty well.
1) Cinnamon. You could obviously just skip that, but it does store quite well and has a lot of uses if you’re planning to bake with food storage (or just eat oatmeal!).
2) Powdered eggs OR soy flour. Both have a storage life of several years (but not decades) in proper conditions. Soy flour is cheaper and easier to get, since it’s commonly found in the gluten-free baking section of the grocery store. Egg powder is more expensive, but it’s almost exactly like eggs for baking purposes, and can be ordered in #10 cans.

But other than those two things, there’s nothing here that isn’t pretty basic. Every thing but the baking soda and vinegar can be gotten in #10 cans thru the LDS pantries, and baking soda can be gotten in 15lb mylar sacks, vinegar comes by the gallon and lasts a long time as well

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:34 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Chocolate Muffins for the Gluten-Free Apocalypse

So Anianna reminded me of this recipe I made a while back. I got it from this website, and modified it a bit. http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013/05 ... e-muffins/

Makes : 6 muffins

Dry ingredients
½ C + 3T chickpea flour
¼ C + 3T sugar
3T cocoa powder
½ t baking soda
½ t baking powder
pinch salt

Wet ingredients
¼ C milk (*1)
¼ C oil (*2)
1t vanilla

¼ C boiling water

-Preheat oven to 350, put paper cups in muffin pan
-Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
-Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
-Add boiling water last, mix thoroughly, let stand 1 min then pour into muffin cups.
-Bake for 23-25 min.

*1 – I mixed this from the LDS pantry dry milk, but with a gluten free recipe I was sticking to the order of mixing a little more strictly.

*2 – 2T oil + 1 egg (real or from powder) is closer to the original recipe, and frankly I think it was a little moister and a little less crumbly (which makes sense.) But since not everybody stores egg powder I wanted to go with the most basic food storage ingredients. Husband and children did not notice a difference. I have not tried substituting soy flour or pumpkin puree, which are other egg substitutes.

This recipe tends to sink in the center. Would make a good place to put topping or frosting, really.

I usually try to convert baking powder to baking soda + acid, but haven’t had time to experiment with this one yet, and with gluten free recipes I experiment more cautiously. Will update when I do. Baking powder may not have a shelf life of decades but it certainly does fine on the shelf for quite a while, I have a fair bit stocked.

Chickpea flour I made by running chickpeas thru my flour mill, since we’re not celiac here, the gluten free is just for fun. Obvs the celiac folks will need a separate mill. Or chickpea flour can be bought. Also CHECK YOUR MILL instructions, some are not meant for large legumes. Some (coughfamilygrainmillcough) are rated for legumes but don’t turn them into flour very well in my experience. I’ve got a Nutrimill, which did a find job but frankly it’s made a different noise since then (tho the flour turns out just fine) so I may have done some damage even tho it’s supposed to be fine with legumes.

I'm wondering if you could use this with flavors other than chocolate...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:56 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Basic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour Pancakes

I noticed that most whole wheat pancake recipes had the basic proportions, with only a few details varying. Here they are…

1C whole wheat pastry flour (*1)
1C butter milk (*2)
1t baking soda (*3)
1 egg (*4)
2T oil (*5)

Mix wet, stir in dry thoroughly. Cook on hot oiled griddle until bubbles well formed around edges and golden brown, flip and cook other side.

That seems to be the basic ratios, although many things can be tweaked.

*1 – the ratios don’t seem to change much for all purpose or hard white wheat flour. You can also substitute about 1/3-1/4 of the total flour for something else – one version I have made subsititues ¼ of the flour with wheat germ. (Because I was given wheat germ to use up. It’s a terrible long term storage food, needs to be in the fridge once opened.)

*2 – I mix the amount of dry milk in with the flour, and add 1T of vinegar (I used apple cider, but white vinegar, or lemon juice also work) per cup milk to the wet ingredients, to make “buttermilk” from food storage. Regular milk or non-dairy milk can be substituted but then you’ll need to use baking powder instead of baking soda. I imagine water would do in a pinch but wouldn’t make as tender a pancake.

*3 – seen *2 in case you are not using buttermilk! If using baking powder, use double the amount from baking soda.

*4 – I have tried this with 1 heaping tsp of soy flour, because I’m more likely to have that stored than flax seed or bananas, which are the other recommended egg alternatives. It works well. Egg powder also works well. Frankly I can’t tell the difference. I haven’t tried this as an eggless recipe, but the proportions in the eggless recipes are extremely similar.

*5 – can substitute up to ½ the oil with honey, depending on which you have more of! I’m sure melted butter is another option if you have it. I haven’t tried it with melted shortening…

Mmm pancakes. I like mine with jam, maple syrup is a close second. The children are philistines and like Mrs Butterworth. (Which, thankfully, lasts for years and comes in large containers at Sam’s Club…)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:59 pm 

Thanks for the pics post and the information. I think I gained like 5 pounds just reading along/looking at photos.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:30 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

When Disaster Strikes! (The Muffin Edition)

So, I was working on a new muffin recipe (yes, I’ve been on a baking spree this weekend. We’re not talking about how many pounds I’ve gained since I’m not just looking at them, thanks, TacAir!).

I’m not going to talk about the recipe because it turns out that’s going to be a work in progress to put it kindly. Which I found out when I took my muffins out of the oven and they did this…
So I was googling around to trouble shoot the recipe, and I ran across a blog post (http://brooklynfarmgirl.com/2014/02/04/ ... -about-it/) about somebody else's muffin disaster.

Which I very much liked, because I don’t like throwing things out, and we’re definitely not going to be throwing out perfectly good muffin crumbs in the apocalypse.

So, as suggested, I peeled them out of their wrappers, crumbled them more evenly (OK, I may have eaten a couple edges of muffin top because they were still quite tasty), rolled them into balls. I decided to throw them back in the oven for about 7 minutes so they’d be warm again, but that’s an optional step.

Making a “glaze” frosting really is as simple as talking some powdered sugar, just enough milk to make it goopy, and a few drops of vanilla. Cream cheese or butter (small amounts) are also tasty but not needed. In this case, I used ¼ C powdered sugar, ¾ tsp milk, and 1/8 tsp vanilla. Can be drizzled over muffin balls before or after being heated in the oven (if you’re heating them).

Voila! Something that looks like you TOTALLY meant for that to happen… And just as tasty as the original.