It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOB with Bulk Food
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:02 pm 

I have been searching and not finding what I am interested in right now.

Would it make sense to bug out with bulk food instead of pre-packaged food?

Meaning, would there be pros and cons to taking like 1/2 lbs. of instant rice, 1/2 lbs. of instant oatmeal, 1/2 lbs. of dehydrated veggies, etc. instead of pre-packaged/ pre-portioned MRE sytle 'meals'?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: BOB with Bulk Food
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:41 pm 

How long should it take to get where you are headed?

Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:48 pm 

If you are on a budget and have the time to do it this is a great way to go.

MRE's do have the advantage of just open and eat for sustenance though. You have not lived until you are freezing, in the rain, scared out of your mind, and have sucked on an ice cold MRE :wink:

I would look into "thermos cooking" if you want to go the bulk route takes a bit of forethought but I like it.

I personally use the layered approach some ready to eat, some bulk, and some freeze dried.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:11 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Instant oatmeal is already in my BOB, along with the quick-cooking easy-mac, and instant grits. I've got the single serve packets, but if you like plain oatmeal, it's a great way to go. I've got the 90-sec ready-to-eat rice packets, since my assumption is that if it's in my BOB I don't have a ton of cooking time. Hadn't thought about adding minute rice, but it'd be lighter (plus) but require added water (minus).

If I were planning on using some freeze dried meat and/or veggies with my rice, or dried fruit in my oatmeal, I'd probably premix and divvy them up into meal sized portions in sealed bags, to avoid letting dirt/bugs/moisture into one big bag, or dropping the bag like the klutz I am.

Do you think getting cooking water will be an issue if you're using the BOB? If yes, then it might be worth the weight/price of having some ready-to-eat food. I'm not knocking MRE's, they're an excellent choice, but for various reasons my ready-to-eat food is the microwave bowls of chef boyardee and things like that from the grocery store. And yeah, they're heavy...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:38 am 

My answer is more of a question, in that it depends on what you are expecting to accomplish.
What are you wanting the BOB to do? And for how long?

If you are looking at a bag that is getting thrown in the back seat/trunk of a vehicle - then carrying the cooking gear, water, etc to prepare bulk foods wouldn't be a big deal.

If this is a 'my car broke down, I work in the absolute middle of nowhere with no cell service, and I need to get back to a road/house/etc' - then packing easy to eat food that needs nothing to prepare it is better.

If it is aimed at a bag that a 10 y/o may have to live out of for a day or so if separated on a camping trip - a pile of granola bars and hard peppermint candies that they (sort of) like but will get sick of after a few (so they don't eat them all at once) will keep them alive longer than food they can't cook and won't eat otherwise.

So it depends on what you want this bag to accomplish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:24 am 

As of right now, I am more at the GHB stage of life than the BOB stage of life. By that I mean that I don't have anyplace in mind that I can bug out too. I live ten blocks from my parents and five blocks from my in-laws. My biggest concern is covering the 20-25 miles between work and home to get to my wife and two small children.

This question/concept was brought about by an article I read that described what Victor Charlie carried into the field back during America's misadventure in Indochina.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:55 pm 

Welcome to the board - good question.

How much time do you want to spend cooking is my biggest question back to you.

I keep some Minute Rice in a pair of MRE Beverage bags, some Lipton dry soup mix and a few of those Jif peanut butter cups (Jif2Go). I can boil 1,5 cup of water, add 1/2 cup (half a beverage bag) of rice, add dry soup mix - then stir in peanut butter. PB and chicken soup. An acquired taste I suspect for most. Cost in fuel - about 3/4 of oz of alky or one Esbit tab - depending on the stove. Bit messy to clean up BTW.

Regular rice will need to cook for 20+ min or so. Pasta, about 8 to 12 min, over a campfire, no big. Canned soup or chilli - maybe 10 min, depending.
In the pouring rain with snow mixed in and the snot running out your nose from the cold - that's an eternity. IF you can get a fire going.

As others have noted, a mix of food types might be a better choice set.

If you have that many miles to go, you might copy something else Charlie did back in the day and take a bicycle to work. Even a fat-tired, single speed cruiser should go 8 mph, make the trip home a lot faster...
Small rack in the back to carry your load... Magic.

Good luck, trying to find what's best is usually a series of trial and error trips where what works, works and what doesn't is a lesson learned. Whatever you choose, take a trip or two to try it all out. Take the kids 'camping' in the back yard if nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:07 pm 

Beans & Rice also Oatmeal :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:05 am 

I would do it as a secondary bag that I could take or leave as I need.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:06 pm 

Also, if you buy the pre-packaged foods, there is a bunch of excess weight you can shed buy breaking them down into what you need/want. Pre-packaged foods are also composed to give a high calorie count and generally more nutrients.

There are many options out there to pick and choose want you want without having to buy full cases. Like others have said their is a convenience factor to pre-packaged foods.

That being said, I also pack some rice, beans, and pastas, along with pre-packaged foods. Hell I even have some spam :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:19 pm 

Joshua_Steele wrote:
I have been searching and not finding what I am interested in right now.
Would it make sense to bug out with bulk food instead of pre-packaged food?
Meaning, would there be pros and cons to taking like 1/2 lbs. of instant rice, 1/2 lbs. of instant oatmeal, 1/2 lbs. of dehydrated veggies, etc. instead of pre-packaged/ pre-portioned MRE sytle 'meals'?

Considering that backpackers often measure their food consumption in Pounds Per Day... 1.5 lbs. of dry goods isn't going to last long, which doesn't even go into the calories behind rice, oatmeal, and dehydrated veggies...

Read this for more information:
http://www.adventurealan.com/food_general.htm

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point