The Gluten-Free Thread

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

Re: The Gluten-Free Thread

Post by Anianna » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:00 pm

This isn't going to be a well-written recipe, it's just something I tried tonight expecting the whole fam damily to shoot it down, but they surprised me and liked it, so I suppose I'll make it again sometime.

2 cups rice + 2 cups quinoa cooked in the rice cooker with water (hubby doesn't like straight quinoa and cutting it with rice makes it not so expensive)

I took a bag of frozen cauliflower, cooked as per directions, then creamed it in the food processor with about 1/2 cup of coconut milk.

I heated up a bag of frozen peas

Mixed the rice, quinoa, creamed cauliflower, and peas in a pot.

I tossed in about 8 oz of mozzarella, about 4 oz of parmesan, 2 tbs of butter, and about half a cup of milk, turned the heat to medium and stood there mixing it all as the cheese melted. It seemed a bit dry, so I added about another half cup of milk. It tasted a smidge bland to me and I couldn't find my pepper, so I added several squirts of lemon since lemon always fixes a bland smoothie. I thought it was a long shot, but it did the trick. Even my husband (the hardest to please) ate all he was given and said he would eat it again if I made it again and every one of my four kids ate at least the serving they were given without complaint. It's a friggin miracle.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:38 pm

My family and I can fortunately eat almost anything - but I made this cookie recipe and thought of you guys. It's simple and delish. And food storage (if you have either powdered eggs or chickens). And pretty flexible about a couple of things. We haven't tried adding chocolate chips or sticking candy kisses on top, but that'd sounds like it'd taste awesome.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1 c peanut butter (creamy or chunky, natural or regular store bought - they all work it just changes the texture.)
1 c sugar (white or brown)
1 egg, ("lightly beaten")
1 tsp vanilla
optional - coarse salt to sprinkle on top before baking. (It really does add something...)

mix first 4 ingredients.
Scoop tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet. Flatten with fork to make crosshatches for traditional appearance. Sprinkle with salt if desired
bake 8-10 min at 350*F.

Let cool 5-10 min.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:05 pm

Yum, duo!

If you are on a gluten free diet, I highly recommend getting a spiralizer to cut vegetables into pasta-like formations. Tonight I made zusghetti. I love my spiralizer and made a bunch of zucchini "spaghetti". I wasn't sure how to cook it, so I boiled it like noodles, which was fine, but maybe a different way would be better and I intend to look up some recipes. The sauce wasn't really anything special - just browned ground turkey and a jar of Ragu. The kids loved it and came back for more until it was all gone. Hubby doesn't really like zucchini, so he wasn't thrilled. Next time, I'll try it with squash.

As for the sprializer, I turned six large zucchinis into "spaghetti" very quickly and easily. I love this thing. It does leave about a 1/4" core and about a 1/2" butt leftover, but it's less than what other devices leave. You can chop it up and add it in, put in in compost, or feed it to farm critters. Our worms needed fed, so they got it. If you eat or want to eat lots of vegetables, I highly recommend it. If you are on a gluten-free diet and want a pasta alternative, I highly recommend it. If you only use it every now and then, it does take up space, so maybe you have to weigh your space issues against the extra effort and shorter strands cut using a Julienne shaver. Also, the spiralizer has three different cut types. I do have space issues, but I am very glad I bought the spiralizer and if I had it to do all over again, I would still buy it.

After researching the various styles and brands available, I chose Brieftons Tri-Blade Spiralizer. I think I made a good choice. Check out the pictures at the link. Good stuff!

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:17 am

Tonight I made Quinoa with chicken, roasted red pepper and vegetables. Quick and easy. (Some times I make this dish with shrimp instead of chicken)

Carrots, onion, garlic, snow peas, chunks of chicken breast, chicken stock, roasted red peppers, oregano, bay leaf, S&P, olive oil, paprika, splash of white wine. Bring everything to a boil. Cover and turn to low for 15 minutes.

Side salad of heirloom tomatoes, avocado with lemon juice, olive oil, S&P.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Sounds awesome! I miss fried chicken, so I gave this a try:

Gluten-free Bucket O' Chicken

Mix in food processor:
4 cups Chex cereal (I used about 3 cups Rice Chex and 1 cup Corn Chex)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp parsley
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp rosemary

Whisk two eggs in a dish large enough to allow you to roll the chicken. Roll each piece of chicken in the egg until well coated and then in the Chex crumb mix until well coated. If you have more than the equivalent of 16 large drumsticks (about 5.35 lb), you'll need more egg. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Feel free to line a metal bucket with foil for the bucket bit.

This made my family happy.

∩(=^_^=)

gbrown48
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All :), even the really BAD ones!

Post by gbrown48 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:45 am

This is a good thread ... Thanks for posting this information.
Warrior Priest,
Philosopher King

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:01 pm

Ani reminded me of this recipe, which I modified from this blog (http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2013/05 ... e-muffins/) and I posted it, with comments and pics in my Muffin thread. viewtopic.php?f=50&t=113916#p2571781

But here's the basics.

Chocolate Muffins

Dry ingredients
½ C + 3T chickpea flour
¼ C + 3T sugar
3T cocoa powder
½ t baking soda
½ t baking powder
pinch salt

Wet ingredients
¼ C milk (*1)
¼ C oil (*2)
1t vanilla

¼ C boiling water

-Preheat oven to 350, put paper cups in muffin pan
-Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
-Add wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
-Add boiling water last, mix thoroughly, let stand 1 min then pour into muffin cups.
-Bake for 23-25 min.

I've used 2T oil + 1 egg before instead of 1/4 C oil, frankly I think it comes out a bit moister and less crumbly, but husband and children didn't notice a difference.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat May 16, 2015 4:35 pm

We tried using brown rice flour instead of AP flour in the standard Nestle Tollhouse Cookie recipe. They turned out tasty, but be careful - they harden up very quickly if even a little overcooked.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Tue May 19, 2015 8:33 am

Here's a recipe you can experiment with (great for kids with food allergies who can eat eggs):

My kid makes the best baked egg. Online recipes typically use ramekins, but we don't have any of those and do have some silicon mini-cake pans for holidays. If using just one egg per, you could use muffin pans. He simply put in ham, tomato, Monterrey jack cheese, a couple eggs, and a bit of salt and pepper. Bake in the oven or toaster oven at 375 for 10-25 minutes (depending on how cooked you want your whites and yolks - I like 15 minutes in my toaster oven). They are very yummy, but today, my kid added pineapple chunks. It was soooo delicious! You can experiment with all kinds of ingredients - different veggies, fruits, even seeds or nuts. This is great to get kids involved in designing their own yummy meal.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:48 am

I just saw an ad announcing that Cheerios are now gluten free! Good news for GF kids and adults alike!

Pass me the Honey Nut Cheerios, please. :clownshoes:

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Eats and Drinks”