The Gluten-Free Thread

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Anianna

The Gluten-Free Thread

Post by Anianna » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 am

Some of us can't eat gluten and some of us would like to limit gluten intake. So, post your gluten-free recipes and finds here. I am not including recipes that simply have you substitute a gluten-free flour for regular flour or use a bunch of starches instead of flour (this makes bread recipes very hard to come by, but I don't eat much bread so that is not an issue for me). I like recipes that use whole grains and think outside the flour box. You're welcome to include those substitution type recipes if you like those, of course. Many of these recipes are on sites with lots more gluten-free recipes. Enjoy. :mrgreen:

Main and Side Dishes

Paleo Ravioli - If I understand correctly, this recipe is poorly titled. I'm pretty sure it is not Paleo as it has cheese in it. The "ravioli" is slices of yellow squash and it looks yummy.

Zucchini Crust Vegetarian Pizza Margherita (on the grill or in the oven)

Miso Butter Shrimp - so delicious!! Shiro miso is usually gluten free, but some miso are not. I use Eden Shiro Miso

Cheesy Broccolli Cheddar Quinoa - like mac and cheese but without the gluten. Also, quinoa (pronounced keenwa) is a super grain with lots of nutrients.

Chicken Fingers - my kids like when I use corn and rice Chex instead of gluten-free corn flakes (gluten-free cornflakes are surprisingly hard to find in some places)

Gluten-Free Cheesy Veggie "Pasta" Bake

Cheesy Garlic Cauliflower Bread Sticks - I think you could put a pizza sauce on this and make a pizza of it, too.

Slow Cooker Bacon-Wrapped Apple BBQ - Sweet Baby Rays is a great gluten-free BBQ sauce to use for this recipe.

Bread

Paleo Grain Free Sourdough Bread (gluten/grain/dairy/no added starches)

Sauce

Cauli-fredo sauce

Creamy Cauliflower Sauce - another take on caulifredo

Desserts and Sweet Things

Triple Chocolate Chunk Muffins - These muffins look all glutenous and floury, but with no flour of any kind, this recipe uses oats and yogurt and other good stuff.

Raw vegan chocolate and raspberry tort

Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookie Dough Bites - gluten free, dairy free, and I'm pretty sure it's vegan, too.

Clean Eating Nutella Ice Cream

Tips:

Good soy sauce is not gluten free. Use Tamari instead. It's flavor and utility are much like soy sauce without all the gluten.

Corn tortillas are gluten-free and can be used as a flat bread

Forget the bread. Cut a cucumber lengthwise and scoop out the seed bits. Stuff hollowed bits with sandwich innards. Enjoy.

Can't give up pasta? Look for sweet potato pasta.

Want dairy-free ice cream? Cut up ripe bananas and freeze them. Once frozen, blend them into a creamy consistency and, viola, minion-approved ice cream.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

Re: The Gluten-Free Thread

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:37 pm

THANK YOU!!!!! AWESOME POST!!!!!!! I have a son that has celiacs, so any info I can get is SUPER!!!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Being a kid with celiac has to be rough. I just found out I have it about a year ago (and it was discovered thanks to a fellow ZSer who recognized my symptoms as possibly being something like celiac, so I had my doc test me). I did start a site just to gather information and resources. I did intend to finish it, but I didn't, but there is a lot of good info there and maybe I will go back and finish it someday. It's a place to start, anyway:

https://sites.google.com/site/glutenousminimus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks for the link, bookmarked !!!

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:04 pm

No-flour crepe recipe using only three ingredients, which I think would be fabulous in this apple cinnamon crepe recipe (I haven't tried it yet, myself)

∩(=^_^=)

jackpine
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead

Post by jackpine » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:05 pm

I've made bannock with Trader Joe's gluten free flour and it turns out OK but the butter crust that I made was very hard like it was over worked. Having some zanthum gum or guar gum to add to things is a great help. Aldi's gluten free bakeing mix if fair, a bit grainy.
If it's not loaded it's just a rock in your pocket.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:01 pm

For a simple dish, I like to cook up 2-3 cups of quinoa (cooks the same way as rice) and mix it with a can of Amy's Tomato Bisque Soup. Make sure you rinse the quinoa first or it will taste like soap (quinoa has a natural coating of saponin that should be rinsed off before cooking).

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:00 pm

A fellow ZSer sent me this link:

http://tasteguru.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has good gluten-free info and tips and you can sign up for their gluten-free box-of-the-month club if you're into that sort of thing.

∩(=^_^=)

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:25 pm

I use garbanzo flour instead of regular flour for thickening gravies or breading chicken.

Brown rice pasta for Italian and American dishes, rice flour and mung bean thread noodles for Asian dishes.
Lots of rice, quinua, Tef and potato dishes.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:02 pm

GF Raisin Cowboy Cookies

½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups quinoa flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups raisins

Cream together applesauce, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Sift and add salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Add vanilla, eggs, oats, and raisins. Spoon onto greased cookie sheet. Cook 1 sheet of cookies at a time.

Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Serves 6 dozen.

GF Chocolate Chip Cowboy Cookies

1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups quinoa flour
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups rolled oats
1 package Nestle Toll House morsels

Cream together shortening, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Sift and add salt, baking powder, baking soda, and flour. Add vanilla, eggs, oats, and chocolate chips. Spoon onto greased cookie sheet. Cook 1 sheet of cookies at a time.

Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Serves 6 dozen.

Notes:

These are both alterations of a cookie recipe called Cowboy Cookies my mother made when I was growing up. It called for the 1 cup of shortening and regular flower rather than quinoa flour. The original was a chocolate chip cookie, but when I substituted the applesauce for the shortening, it really tasted like it should have raisins in it instead of chocolate chips.

Keep in mind that if you are particularly sensitive, you'll want to find a gluten-free oatmeal. Oatmeal does not contain wheat or barley gluten, but is sometimes grown in the same field and suffers cross-contamination. Gluten-free oatmeal is simply oatmeal grown in fields that do not share space with wheat or barley. Bob's Red Mill is a brand that raises gluten-free oatmeal. Some places I have found it are in the baking section of some stores and the gluten-free aisle of other stores. Oddly enough, I have never found it shelved with other types of oatmeal in the breakfast cereal aisle, but your results may vary. You can also order it online if you can't find any locally.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:50 pm

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:13 pm

One of my quinoa experiments turned out so well that everybody save for my hubby came back for seconds - even the kiddo who hates quinoa - and hubby ate the entire serving I gave him.

Miso Chicken Quinoa
Chicken
  • 1 lb boneless skinless chicken (I use thighs because I like dark meat)
    3 tbs shiro miso (I like Eden)
    2 tbs unsalted butter, melted (I like Landolakes)
    1 tbs mirin (I use Kiddoman Aji-Mirin)
    Mix the shiro, butter, and mirin. Stir in the chicken until well covered with the miso mixture. Cover and place in fridge for several hours or overnight (I like to put it in a Ziploc in the fridge). When quinoa is cooking, place the chicken in a frying pan and cook on medium-low to medium heat until cooked through. If you use oil when you cook, don't for this - the chicken is coated in butter and miso, so you shouldn't need any oil.
Quinoa
  • 4 cups uncooked quinoa
    3 tbs shiro miso
    2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
    1 tbs mirin
    2 cups hot water (hot from tap is fine)
    Mix the shiro, butter, and mirin. Stir in hot water to form a broth. Cook the quinoa using the mixture instead of plain water (I use a rice cooker). Add water if necessary to properly cook the quinoa to your liking.
Once the quinoa and chicken are cooked, stir them together and serve.

If you have a local place to get miso and mirin, you can probably get them cheaper there than at Amazon. I buy mine on Amazon because we live in a pretty rural area and I haven't found these items locally.

∩(=^_^=)

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:33 pm

I've lived most of my life with the knowledge that I had Celiacs Disease but I have to admit that since gluten free has become a fad diet and US doctors suddenly "discovered" Celiacs Disease a couple years ago it has gotten stupid easy to find Gluten Free recipes as well as foods.
This is a good thread and I'll be following it!
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Cheesy Ham and Quinoa

4 cups quinoa
2 (8 oz) blocks Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar cheese
1 large ham steak
4 tbs Landolakes unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups milk

Cook the quinoa (I use my rice cooker, but you can cook it like rice in your big pot and make this a one-pot meal). While the quinoa is cooking, shred the cheese and cube the ham. In a large pot on medium heat, mix butter into the freshly cooked hot quinoa until melted. Add milk, cheese, and ham and stir until well mixed and the cheese is creamy. I find the mixing and stirring is easiest with a rice paddle.

Feeds a family of six through seconds with just enough leftover for mom to eat for lunch the next day. :awesome: Easily halved for smaller families, but why would you want to? If your family loves this as much as mine does, the leftovers won't last long. Even my hubby had seconds!

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:06 am

Anianna wrote:Quinoa
  • 4 cups uncooked quinoa
    3 tbs shiro miso
    2 tbs unsalted butter, melted
    1 tbs mirin
    2 cups hot water (hot from tap is fine)
    Mix the shiro, butter, and mirin. Stir in hot water to form a broth. Cook the quinoa using the mixture instead of plain water (I use a rice cooker). Add water if necessary to properly cook the quinoa to your liking.
This is now my staple food. I make it in the morning, have a bowl and put the rest in the fridge. It is our go-to food for casual meals. The kids will heat some up for themselves. I'll have some for breakfast or lunch or sometimes both. It's quinoa with a bit of flavor and I find that it doesn't take much of it to fill up and feel full longer than when eating other things. My current favorite breakfast is this and a bowl of mixed fruit.

I also found this One Pan Mexican Quinoa dish that looks tasty.

∩(=^_^=)

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:43 am

Anianna wrote:Being a kid with celiac has to be rough. I just found out I have it about a year ago (and it was discovered thanks to a fellow ZSer who recognized my symptoms as possibly being something like celiac, so I had my doc test me). I did start a site just to gather information and resources. I did intend to finish it, but I didn't, but there is a lot of good info there and maybe I will go back and finish it someday. It's a place to start, anyway:

https://sites.google.com/site/glutenousminimus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm curious, what tests did your doctor do to find out? I have been thinking that I may be gluten intolerant as well. I did a two week elimination diet and felt a little better but not a ton. My girlfriend said she noticed a difference in the yellowing around my eyes though when I was on the gluten free diet.
The Devil's always smiling when I pass by.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
Anianna wrote:Being a kid with celiac has to be rough. I just found out I have it about a year ago (and it was discovered thanks to a fellow ZSer who recognized my symptoms as possibly being something like celiac, so I had my doc test me). I did start a site just to gather information and resources. I did intend to finish it, but I didn't, but there is a lot of good info there and maybe I will go back and finish it someday. It's a place to start, anyway:

I'm curious, what tests did your doctor do to find out? I have been thinking that I may be gluten intolerant as well. I did a two week elimination diet and felt a little better but not a ton. My girlfriend said she noticed a difference in the yellowing around my eyes though when I was on the gluten free diet.
I had a blood test and a biopsy during a colonoscopy. I've always had bowel trouble, but the big symptom that set off celiac alarm bells was strange rashes that looked a lot like MRSA, but turned out to be dermititis herpetiformis, which is basically a rash in response to gluten allergy. I was miserable with those rashes for several years before we got it figured out. Initially, I was pumped full of all sorts of antibiotics, which did nothing but make me miserable and screw up the balance of bacteria and yeast in my bowels (and potentially make me even more susceptible to bacterial infection, especially since I am already immune deficient). It took a while to figure out the rashes would go away with Prednisone, which treats allergic reactions and even then we couldn't figure out what I was allergic to that was causing the rashes. I would just get them and be put on Predinsone over and over again and I needed more and more each time to fight off the rashes. It was awful. I haven't had a single rash since I went gluten free.

The blood test can often come back false negative, so if you really think you have celiac, you have to press for further testing. Keep in mind, also, that starches convert to glucose in the body and feeling poorly after eating stuff like bread and pasta could be signs of diabetes or similar sugar processing issues. If you feel poorly after eating, let your doctor know. It could be any of a number of problems.

∩(=^_^=)

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for the response.

Did this develop later in life? ( I have no idea how old you are, I'm 35) The symptoms that I have been having are headaches, fatigue, dry skin, occasional stomach issues, dizziness, irregular sleep patterns.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Maverick299 wrote:Thanks for the response.

Did this develop later in life? ( I have no idea how old you are, I'm 35) The symptoms that I have been having are headaches, fatigue, dry skin, occasional stomach issues, dizziness, irregular sleep patterns.
Yes. I'm older than you are. :wink:

That could also be hormonal imbalance, among other possibilities. Definitely see a doc.

∩(=^_^=)

Maverick299

Post by Maverick299 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:37 pm

Anianna wrote:

That could also be hormonal imbalance, among other possibilities. Definitely see a doc.
I have been to the Dr a few times but they have not been to helpful. I know self diagnosis is not always the best but I have been trying to help narrow down what tests to be asking for. The reason being I have a high deductible plan so all the tests I will be paying for out of pocket. So I'm hoping to get the most bang for my buck so to speak when it comes to the tests.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Maverick299 wrote:
Anianna wrote:

I have been to the Dr a few times but they have not been to helpful. I know self diagnosis is not always the best but I have been trying to help narrow down what tests to be asking for. The reason being I have a high deductible plan so all the tests I will be paying for out of pocket. So I'm hoping to get the most bang for my buck so to speak when it comes to the tests.
Some options that may be available to you:
Depending on your state, the health department may provide certain medical services free or on a sliding scale based on your income.
Check area churches and other religious or community groups. Some provide free clinics.
Check the policies of private hospitals and medical facilities in your area. Many times, they have programs to provide medical services free or at a lower cost. The difference is paid by donors who fund the programs.
Check learning hospitals for free clinics that serve the community while giving students a place to practice what they're learning.

∩(=^_^=)

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Sun May 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Rice noodles are awesome. I picked up bihon at a local Asian market. It is also available on Amazon under "bihon" or even "rice vermicelli". It is a little like ramen, but thinner and made from rice (and sometimes cornstarch). In the Philippines, it is cooked as a noodle dish with vegetables and sometimes with some meat. It can also be cooked up as a soup like ramen. They are often called "rice sticks" and you can get "rice sticks sauce mix" (aka pancit bijon) to flavor it much like the seasoning packets that come with ramen. Unfortunately, I do not see the sauce mix on Amazon. If you have a local Asian market, check there. This stuff is deliciously gluten free.

∩(=^_^=)

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 pm

I just made some salmon cakes that turned out great. Quick and easy. Thought I'd share. It could be made with fresh or canned salmon. It's basically equal parts almond flour, garbanzo flour, oil and seasonings. No egg (or if you want to use egg cut the oil in half). Then mix that with an equal amount of salmon (next time I'll try crab meat). I reconstituted dried onion with warm water and used 3 small cans of salmon (it's all I had) or you could use fresh onion but cook it first till translucent (sweated). Would be great with fresh salmon (1/4"-1/2" pieces) left over salmon or belly cuts too.

1/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup garbanzo flour
1/4 oil (canola or olive)
S&P
parsley
paprika
cumin
cayenne
minced onion (sweated)
garlic

Mix all ingredients thoroughly, then gently fold in salmon or crab meat. Scoop out equal sized balls and hand form into patties. Fry over medium heat in canola oil till brown on each side. Turn only once.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon May 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Sounds yummy.

One of my kiddos made these Double Chocolate Cookies with some minor modifications - quinoa flour instead of almond flour, regular salt instead of sea salt, and white cane sugar instead of coconut sugar (all just because that's what we had at the time). They're tasty.

The problem with making yummy gluten-free cookies is I'm the only one who needs them gluten-free, but the kids want me to share. :lol:

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Eats and Drinks”