Could use some MRE help (updated with more choices)

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Could use some MRE help (updated with more choices)

Post by TacAir » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:42 pm

-
15 - Mexican style chicken stew
16 - Pork Rib
17 - Maple Sausage

21 - Lemon Pepper Tuna
22 - Asian Beef Strips
23 - Chicken Pesto Pasta
24 - Southwest Beef & Black Beans

We can now buy 'new' issue MRE meals individually, and there are some menu items I've not tasted and would like some feedback before I hand over my hard earned ducats.

If you have eaten the above, I would appreciate a few minutes to get your take - much of the 'spicy' or "Mexican' is either nasty over-spiced or so plain as to be nearly worthless - tho that can be fixed.

I assume the ribs are boneless like the infamous MacRibs.

The Asian beef stribs are completely new - are they something like Hunan beef? Good with rice or noodles?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by TacAir on Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Could use some MRE help

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:46 pm

TacAir wrote:-
16 - Pork Rib-Meh. Not great hot, worse cold. I prefer canned dogfood.
17 - Maple Sausage-Not bad, but gets old quick.Must be hot.
23 - Chicken Pesto Pasta-Fuck yeah.
24 - Southwest Beef & Black Beans-Fuck Yeah 2: Fuckier and Yeahier!

We can now buy 'new' issue MRE meals individually, and there are some menu items I've not tasted and would like some feedback before I hand over my hard earned ducats.

If you have eaten the above, I would appreciate a few minutes to get your take - much of the 'spicy' or "Mexican' is either nasty over-spiced or so plain as to be nearly worthless - tho that can be fixed.

The Asian beef stribs are completely new - are they something like Hunan beef? Good with rice or noodles?

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming the LP tuna is more or less the same, the regular Starkist LP Tuna packet with the other shit in the bag.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
16 - Pork Rib-Meh. Not great hot, worse cold. I prefer canned dogfood.
17 - Maple Sausage-Not bad, but gets old quick.Must be hot.
23 - Chicken Pesto Pasta-Fuck yeah.
24 - Southwest Beef & Black Beans-Fuck Yeah 2: Fuckier and Yeahier!

Thanks in advance.
I'm assuming the LP tuna is more or less the same, the regular Starkist LP Tuna packet with the other shit in the bag.
Yep the tuna is the same as it was. Also doc's reviews are dead on.
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

Slugg

Post by Slugg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:48 am

Maple sausage is my wife's favorite.

Southwest beef if hotter than I'd like and I like spicy food.

Pork rib was decent hot and cold. Just make sure you use the sauce that comes with it.
The future is for those who prepare.

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Chicken pesto pasta is really good. Now I'm dying to try the Asian beef things.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:50 pm

I had one of the pork rib MREs awhile back (probably a year or so back) and to me it tasted kind of like the McRib sandwich McDonald's puts out once or twice a year. Lots of BBQ sauce, either the stuff that comes with it or whatever commercial stuff one has in the fridge makes it a bit better.

I haven't tried any of the other ones, but I might pick up some during my next trip to the surplus store in July.

101airborne

Post by 101airborne » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:59 pm

I've tried all but #22 and #24. Friend that has a surplus store uses me as a "guenia pig" for new items. The one's I've tried are decent but to be honest any MRE would be pretty far down on my list for LTS food items, or BOB items.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm

I don't know, when I had a good stash of MREs, I thought they tasted OK. Not something I'd want to eat on a daily basis like some of y'all military folks, but good enough for the occasional "I have no groceries and can't get to the store for a few days" kind of time.

I absolutely hated the Mexican style chicken MRE with the funky tasting salsa, but the other ones (including the vegetarian "beef" patty) tasted good to me, but I've always been kind of weird when it comes to food. :lol:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:17 pm

15 - Mexican style chicken stew --no, tried will not eat again
16 - Pork Rib - Never tried
17 - Maple Sausage - Recalled it not being awful when heated up

21 - Lemon Pepper Tuna - Never tried
22 - Asian Beef Strips - Never tried.
23 - Chicken Pesto Pasta - Was actually edible. I would go straight for that one.
24 - Southwest Beef & Black Beans - meh

Of course I ate Blueberry poptarts, beef jerky and tuna (and local goat and sheep) for six months to avoid eating MRE's. All MREs suck IMO.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:00 pm

Moved to Eats and Drinks.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm

The old tuna was fine, and I've found the meatloaf is not only good but makes a very good sandwich

.The menu changes change every year, so there is at least the chance that the worst of the worst will go away.

Thanks everyone, better your tummy than mine.

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 pm

16 - Pork Rib- Not great, but fits my requirement of "Tastes great on day 3+ of a hike". Also passes the "my kids will eat it" test
17 - Maple Sausage My youngest son's favorite.

21 - Lemon Pepper Tuna I like it, but I also really like tuna. That seems to be the deciding factor with this meal
22 - Asian Beef Strips
23 - Chicken Pesto Pasta
24 - Southwest Beef & Black Beans It won't go head to head with Moe's, but like the ribs, good on day 3
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Pork rib- I find it to be decent, and as already mentioned, use the sauce. I make a sandwich or wrap it in a tortilla.

Maple Sausage- I love it! I buy them 12 at a time, same with the hash browns with bacon, a few tortillas and you have a meal. I keep hoping to find a decent egg to throw in the mix, but that so far has eluded me. I'm not a fan of the omelette mre or of the Mountain House scrambled eggs. Alas, the search continues.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

VXMerlinXV

Post by VXMerlinXV » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:59 pm

The kids and I tried a few more meals on our last camping trip, including a few first strike sandwiches. Results as follows:

Italian sandwich: Youngest son loved it, older thought it was eh, but we had only been away from home for a few hours by then. He wasn't that hungry.

BBQ Chicken sandwich: My lunch on day one. I liked it, as did the kids. My personal favorite of all the sandwiches we tried.

Bacon Cheddar Sandwich: Honestly, didn't meet my expectations at all. I was thinking more along the lines of a hot pocket, what I got was a few slices of bacon in bread. All of the cheese I found was baked into the bread. Not the worst thing in the world, but not something I would order again. Also, this was on day three of our hike. If I'm not woofing down the food at this point there is a definite problem.

Garlic mashed potatoes: Kids thought it needed salt. Appalachian trail through hiker I tossed a pouch to thought it was the greatest meal he had ever had in the history of ever.

Penne with veggi sausage: Lives up to the hype. Everyone enjoyed it, tasted like a decent cafeteria Italian meal.

Ravioli: Not as good as the penne, but a decent meal.

First Strike Ration cinnamon bun: Don't think cinn-a-bun, more like a pop-tart with oomph. Kids thought it was ok, but I think they had something else in mind.

Chocolate peanut butter pack: We eat these as is, squeezing them into our mouths. Both children and adults.

Hash-browns with bacon: Again, a resounding "Eh" from the children.

Granola with blueberries: A family favorite. After messing around with a lot of the different breakfast options, I think I am settled on just ordering these as my go-to trail breakfast.
My posts are my opinion, and do not reflect the standing or policy of any group I may be associated with. Nothing typed here should be considered medical advice, or permission from myself or any governing body to perform medical intervention. If this is a medical emergency, please get off your computer and dial the appropriate local response number.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Have had two more of the new (2013) menu listing.

Taco filling. Comes with:
Beef Taco Filling - could pass for Sloppy Joe mix, had lots of meat (or TVP)
Wet fruit pack - in this bag, peach and mango applesauce. Yum ++
the Filled Crackers were strange little things, round, with cheese filler.
Peanut butter
Normally Crackers, this pack had tortillas.
Jelly, grape.
Beverage, carb fortified, grape in this case again.
Accessory packet A
BBQ sauce
Spoon
Flameless ration heater
Hot beverage bag but with no hot beverage other than coffee.

Heated the entree and put it in a bowl with the filled cheese bits. Not bad. Tortillas on the side. Plenty spicy, so rice or potatoes would be a good starch filler to mix in and still have some flavor.
The peach/mango wet pack was awesome. Gonna have to get some of that by itself for my carry bag. I don't know why they added a BBQ sauce, maybe for use with locally caught rat/squirrel?
Or goat? The rest was std MRE stuff.

Beef Brisket, a 2012 menu item. It came with:
Beef Brisket
Garlic mashed potatoes
(monster sized) Cookies
Cheese spread
Crackers
Candy I
Beverage, carbo electro
Accessory packet B
Spoon
Flameless ration heat

I will actually buy more of this, quite tasty. I had this over the garlic potatoes. The spuds were a tad thin (like too much water was used with instant) - but mixed together in a bowl, it didnt matter. It was yummy. The beef would work well with rice or potatoes as a filler, more than enough spice to work well, even over toast. The meat was as small bits, in an almost gravy.
The cookie was massive and very tasty. The candy was a commercial cocoa product, still in mfg wrapper. Nice touch.
I tossed the cheese spread, it's not even good enough to use as critter bait.

It would seem the days of Tasters Choice (red) packets is over. The drink pacs have a generic brown baggie of 'coffee, freeze dry' in the accy packet. One day I'll work up to try some. Based on past experience, the ration coffee is pretty nasty, with the Taster Choice as a recent change for the better.

As I try ones not listed above, I'll post a brief bit on the selection.
Last edited by TacAir on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

天堂山
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't know where to draw the line between "favorites" and "too many to count as a favorite."

Re: Could use some MRE help (updated with more choices)

Post by 天堂山 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks in advance.
The best way I could describe it is that Hunan beef is more spicy-savory, while the beef strips are sweet-savory, similar to teriyaki sauce. They'll definitely be a good compliment to anything grainy, plain, or bready (to me anyway). If you want it to be spicier, I advise against mixing in any chili sauces (tabascos, salsas, most liquid sauces) and if you can, opt in for chili oils or dry chili flakes/seeds. But it's pretty fine on its own.
"天堂山" is my temple name. "Tian" works just fine.

TacAir

Re: Could use some MRE help (updated with more choices)

Post by TacAir » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:43 pm

As we rotate stock, I 'got' to pick a meal for today's lunch - and, lucky me, picked the ChiliMac

Now for a bit of a background. I HATE chilimac, although loath might be a better word. When livingthe horrid life of a barracks rat and forced to eat at the 'dining facility' owing to poverty, we could count on every Friday seeing liver (badly done), something so nasty looking as to defy explanation and....Chilimac.

The CM was made with lots of kidney beans just to allow one of the cooks to steal more of the meat that was supposed to go into the food. Ya, long story. He eventual got caught and I hope he's still breaking rocks... Needless to say, that version of "food" was off my Duncan-Hines list for decades.

So, to my surprise, the chilimac has just chili (meat and sauce) and macaroni. No beans.

Was quite tasty and with enough spice that you could add rice to stretch it for two to eat, yet still have enough spice for good taste.

Had a pkg of pears. Outstanding.
Pkg of Toffee cookies. No bad, small, like Famous Amos but not as tasty.
Pkg of commercial Skittles.
Pkg of wheat bread. I had to scratch my head on this one as the other item was Jalapeno cheese in a squeezy pack. Would rather have peanut butter on my bread...

All in all, for a $7.62 meal, it was - OK. I may even buy more at a later date. If that is all that is left.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”