Complete Liquid Nutrion- they call it Soylent

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Qasim

Complete Liquid Nutrion- they call it Soylent

Post by Qasim » Wed May 29, 2013 9:57 pm

From the Economist, a new product called soylent, a completely nutritive meal replacement in liquid form

article link http://www.economist.com/blogs/babbage/ ... eltomorrow

From the article:
Soylent promises to be as tasteless as its name, comprised as it is mostly of powdered starch, milk proteins, olive oil, oat fibre and various trace minerals and vitamins. When reconstituted with water, Soylent becomes a unflavoured beige liquid. "There are no secrets here," says Mr Rhinehart. Just the quantities of every essential nutrient, as recommended by America's Food and Drug Administration, in their "most economical, bioavailable, water-soluble form".
The article notes that, yes, there have been other drinks in this category (wouldn't slimfast count?) but notes:
Nutritionally complete liquid foods have been around for decades. Examples include milk formula for infants, weight-loss diets like the Cambridge Plan, and medical interventions for people in comas. A French product called Plumpy’Nut, based on peanut butter, provides emergency nutrition for children suffering a famine for less than $10 a week. What makes Soylent different is that it is being aimed at healthy adults who could cook and eat normally but would rather not. Soylent’s crowdfunding success indicates that there is hunger for such fuss-free food. Whether people will want to live by gruel alone in the long run is another matter altogether.
the guy who invented lives off of it 5 days a week- eating real food on the weekend. I'm intrigued with supplements that can replace meals, but worry about fiber and heavy metal accumulation from milk protein (some body building whey supplements exceed California levels of heavy metal (incl. cadmium) exposure per day). Still, this is pretty interesting. I'm also interested in the concept of famine-relief food, like the Plumpy'Nut they mentioned. Apparently aid organizations have specially-designed porridges for starvation victims because if you feed them a regular meal they can just go into shock and die.

Posted for general curiosity but also curious about people's thoughts.
-Q

spanningtree
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil

Re: Complete Liquid Nutrion- they call it Soylent

Post by spanningtree » Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Here we go again. :rofl:

In on the first.

Qasim

Post by Qasim » Wed May 29, 2013 10:06 pm

apologies, but everything is cooler when the Economist reports it :D

lowjohn19

Post by lowjohn19 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 pm

Qasim wrote:apologies, but everything is cooler when the Economist reports it :D
Truth. :lol:

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Wed May 29, 2013 10:11 pm

My thoughts are as follows:

1) Are people really that oblivious to the irony of a highly engineered food product named 'Soylent'? Or is everyone but me so unbelievably hip that they feel no need to point out, let alone discuss, the obvious?

2) This product would sell much better if it were named something more innocuous, like A Modest Proposal "Baby" Food, or maybe Donner Party Total Nutrition Survival Rations.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 pm

majorhavoc wrote:My thoughts are as follows:

1) Are people really that oblivious to the irony of a highly engineered food product named 'Soylent'? Or is everyone but me so unbelievably hip that they feel no need to point out, let alone discuss, the obvious?

2) This product would sell much better if it were named something more innocuous, like A Modest Proposal "Baby" Food, or maybe Donner Party Total Nutrition Survival Rations.
Viral marketing. Creator knows it will hit big just because of the reference.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed May 29, 2013 10:25 pm

majorhavoc wrote:My thoughts are as follows:

In the source material book, "Make Room, Make Room!" (which never had anything to do with grinding up people, by the way), everyone ate a product called Soylent that was made out of soy and lentils.

So it's not irony about the movie so much as homage to the book, which is all about the earth being overcrowded and it being difficult to get decent food.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 pm

And I reiterate..."Mr Heston? Are you in the building?"
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 pm

It comes in red and of course the original green. Remember kids: you are what you eat...and you're a people.
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

LudisonMAndela

Post by LudisonMAndela » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:36 am

like the sci fi soylent green?

Return to “Eats and Drinks”