Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
CG
* * * * *
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by CG » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm

Things that'll really mess with you: I didn't know that meatloaf was typically tomato-based growing up. Ours was made with cream of mushroom soup.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9652
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by NT2C » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 pm

CG wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm
Things that'll really mess with you: I didn't know that meatloaf was typically tomato-based growing up. Ours was made with cream of mushroom soup.
Yeah, that'll get me for sure. I projectile vomit when fed mushrooms in any form. Something in my biology that they do not agree with.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

User avatar
CG
* * * * *
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by CG » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:43 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 pm
CG wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm
Things that'll really mess with you: I didn't know that meatloaf was typically tomato-based growing up. Ours was made with cream of mushroom soup.
Yeah, that'll get me for sure. I projectile vomit when fed mushrooms in any form. Something in my biology that they do not agree with.
If I ever end up cooking for you, you might remind me of that.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9652
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by NT2C » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 am

CG wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:43 am
NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 pm
CG wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm
Things that'll really mess with you: I didn't know that meatloaf was typically tomato-based growing up. Ours was made with cream of mushroom soup.
Yeah, that'll get me for sure. I projectile vomit when fed mushrooms in any form. Something in my biology that they do not agree with.
If I ever end up cooking for you, you might remind me of that.
Will do. If I remember. :ohdear:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7897
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:52 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:30 pm
I've never had a meatloaf sandwich.

Matter of fact, it wasn't up until a few years ago that I first had meatloaf. Never thought to make it until just a few years ago.
You're missing some good eating then. Take a slice straight out of the leftovers in the fridge, put it on your choice of bread and garnish with a bit of ketchup or whatever you like, and eat it just like that. I've woken up at 3AM and made one of those. Good stuff! :mrgreen:
The meatloaf I eat doesn't last long enough to make a sandwich.

It may fall apart, but it's still tasty and gets eaten quickly. :clap:

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7897
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:54 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 pm
CG wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm
Things that'll really mess with you: I didn't know that meatloaf was typically tomato-based growing up. Ours was made with cream of mushroom soup.
Yeah, that'll get me for sure. I projectile vomit when fed mushrooms in any form. Something in my biology that they do not agree with.
Not a big fan of mushrooms either. I don't vomit if I eat something with them in it, I just don't like the taste of them.

My mother makes a chicken taco casserole that uses cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup and I really can't taste any of the mushroom. Of course the taco seasoning probably covers it, so that could be why.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9652
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:26 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:52 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:30 pm
I've never had a meatloaf sandwich.

Matter of fact, it wasn't up until a few years ago that I first had meatloaf. Never thought to make it until just a few years ago.
You're missing some good eating then. Take a slice straight out of the leftovers in the fridge, put it on your choice of bread and garnish with a bit of ketchup or whatever you like, and eat it just like that. I've woken up at 3AM and made one of those. Good stuff! :mrgreen:
The meatloaf I eat doesn't last long enough to make a sandwich.

It may fall apart, but it's still tasty and gets eaten quickly. :clap:
Well, you've got a couple more mouths to feed down there. Up here it's just me and the wife. (the cats ask for it but we don't let them have meatloaf because of the onions)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7897
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:24 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:26 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:52 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:30 pm
I've never had a meatloaf sandwich.

Matter of fact, it wasn't up until a few years ago that I first had meatloaf. Never thought to make it until just a few years ago.
You're missing some good eating then. Take a slice straight out of the leftovers in the fridge, put it on your choice of bread and garnish with a bit of ketchup or whatever you like, and eat it just like that. I've woken up at 3AM and made one of those. Good stuff! :mrgreen:
The meatloaf I eat doesn't last long enough to make a sandwich.

It may fall apart, but it's still tasty and gets eaten quickly. :clap:
Well, you've got a couple more mouths to feed down there. Up here it's just me and the wife. (the cats ask for it but we don't let them have meatloaf because of the onions)
Yeah, with four people in the house, meatloaf tends to go pretty quickly.

Most foods tend to go quickly now that I think about it.

boskone
* * * * *
Posts: 1898
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by boskone » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:54 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:56 pm
CG wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:42 pm
Things that'll really mess with you: I didn't know that meatloaf was typically tomato-based growing up. Ours was made with cream of mushroom soup.
Yeah, that'll get me for sure. I projectile vomit when fed mushrooms in any form. Something in my biology that they do not agree with.
Not a big fan of mushrooms either. I don't vomit if I eat something with them in it, I just don't like the taste of them.

My mother makes a chicken taco casserole that uses cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup and I really can't taste any of the mushroom. Of course the taco seasoning probably covers it, so that could be why.
I don't mind the taste of mushrooms, it's the texture that gets me. Yech.

Like 90% of the foods I don't like are due to texture, though.

User avatar
CG
* * * * *
Posts: 1054
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Middle of a Haboob, Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by CG » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:17 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:32 pm
I don't mind the taste of mushrooms, it's the texture that gets me. Yech.

Like 90% of the foods I don't like are due to texture, though.
I pissed my mother off royally at a restaurant because I refused to eat the fettuccine alfredo because I didn't like the texture of the cheese. They had freshly grated parmesan on the top that was too "sharp" texture-wise for me. I realized years later that all they had to do was nuke it for 10 seconds (or maybe even just mix it up) and I would have been perfectly fine with it.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7897
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:56 pm

I've tried stuffed mushrooms exactly one time in my life and I immediately spit it back out because the texture and flavor was just weird.

I've heard folks describe mushrooms as having an "earthy" taste, which to me just sounds like a fancy way of saying something tastes like dirt.

Which is exactly what those mushrooms tasted like. Dirt stuffed with parmesan and cheddar cheese.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9652
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm

My aching back hates when I make beef stew, but my belly says :awesome:

Image
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

lurkshere
*
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 5:47 pm

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by lurkshere » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm
My aching back hates when I make beef stew, but my belly says :awesome:

Image
No dumplings? You have to have dumplings with beef stew.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9652
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm

lurkshere wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm
My aching back hates when I make beef stew, but my belly says :awesome:

Image
No dumplings? You have to have dumplings with beef stew.
Had warm sourdough bread and fresh butter instead.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6644
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:22 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:54 pm
lurkshere wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:04 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm
My aching back hates when I make beef stew, but my belly says :awesome:

Image
No dumplings? You have to have dumplings with beef stew.
Had warm sourdough bread and fresh butter instead.
24k nomage :awesome:

Challenger007
*
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:13 am

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by Challenger007 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:03 am

I had BBQ wings with teriyaki sauce for dinner. Finally, the weather was pleasant, which allowed to light up the grill and spend the evening in the fresh air. And I finally tried out my new Weber Spirit E-210 grill - a roomy thing I tell you. And it keeps the temperature well, meat and vegetables cooked very quickly.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 9652
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:37 am

Two days ago the wife and I were both in the mood for burgers, something we don't have much anymore, but it was raining, the grill hasn't been used in over a year, and whatever frozen burgers we have in the freezer are probably non-edible by this point... so I fired up DoorDash and started looking.

Normally there are a couple of places with burgers we'd get but I felt like trying something new. There's a chain restaurant called O'Charley's that we'd never tried so I started looking at the menu. Right up at the top they listed a special on bacon cheeseburgers that sounded right up our alley, so I added a couple to the order, then went looking for desserts. Two slices of pie later and I was ready to check out when something caught my eye... a bacon cheeseburger family meal for about $3.00 more but included four of their "Classic" bacon cheeseburgers (we'll get back to these in a second), plus 8 chicken tenders (one of my wife's favorite things), two sides, and dinner rolls. Okay, the burgers were their "classic" size, not whatever size the special bacon cheddar burgers were, but there were four of them, so you could eat two if you were really hungry. (It was at this point that my usual "good at mental math" semi-superpower utterly failed me and I somehow got the notion that these 7 ounce burgers were fairly small. Yeah.) I checked with the wife and she liked the idea since we've found that burger reheat really well from the fridge, so she could have the chicken tenders that night and a burger the next, so I went ahead and ordered the 4 medium rare bacon cheeseburgers, 8 tenders, french fries, coleslaw, 8 dinner rolls, a slice of cherry pie with whipped cream and slice of pecan pie with whipped cream. For two people.

When the food arrived an hour later just the weight of the bag started a tiny sense of foreboding that we may have, literally, bitten off more than we could chew. I'm not really sure that what my mental image of a "family meal" constituted, but O'Charley's was apparently intending on feeding a mob. Inside the bag, we found heavy-duty aluminum foil trays with lids. Many of them. The fries had an overflowing 11x14 tray themselves. So did the huge buns. The coleslaw was in a tray half that size. The rolls were in a paper sack (and a lot more than 8). The burgers and tenders shared a big tray, burgers fanned out on the left (without buns but with bacon and cheese) in a bit of heavy foil, opposite the eight huge tenders in their own foil. The pie slices were in their own individual styrofoam-like (but not styrofoam) containers along with portions of whipped cream. There were also several portion cups of butter for the dinner rolls, a coffee mug sized container of ranch dressing for the tenders, eight cups of ketchup, and some plastic utensils. The only thing we lacked was the 10th Mountain Division to eat it all.

The bacon cheeseburgers were freaking enormous, 3/4" thick, as big around as the buns (which were the size of Kaiser rolls), perfectly cooked to a slightly bloody and very juicy medium-rare, and each had 2 full-sized slices of thick bacon. I had to use a knife and cut the burgers in half to eat them. My mouth wasn't big enough to bite them. The chicken tenders each had to have required half a chicken, made fresh, not some Sysco branded frozen and reheated offering. Oddly, the pie slices were rather skimpy, but those were still waiting to be touched a day later. We stuffed ourselves on all this for two days, I ended up throwing out about 1/3 of the fries, and there's still one whole burger and two chicken tenders left in the fridge. Help yourself if you want either.

Total cost? Including tips and fees, $70, but we tip pretty generously. The actual food cost was just under $45 (vs $40 if we'd just ordered two burgers and the pies) and I definitely feel we got our money's worth.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7897
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm

Back when I was in my 20's, I probably could've knocked off that entire meal by myself and still went back for more.

Now that I'm in my 30's, though, I have trouble finishing off two cheeseburgers (the small ones that are like two for 4 bucks) from McDonald's. I guess my gut is paying me back from all the torment I put it through when I was younger. :gonk:

Challenger007
*
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:13 am

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by Challenger007 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:20 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm
Back when I was in my 20's, I probably could've knocked off that entire meal by myself and still went back for more.

Now that I'm in my 30's, though, I have trouble finishing off two cheeseburgers (the small ones that are like two for 4 bucks) from McDonald's. I guess my gut is paying me back from all the torment I put it through when I was younger. :gonk:
You are not the only one who disturbed your digestion in your youth. Now, in a more mature age, it is very difficult and there are side effects.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7897
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:12 pm

Challenger007 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:20 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:13 pm
Back when I was in my 20's, I probably could've knocked off that entire meal by myself and still went back for more.

Now that I'm in my 30's, though, I have trouble finishing off two cheeseburgers (the small ones that are like two for 4 bucks) from McDonald's. I guess my gut is paying me back from all the torment I put it through when I was younger. :gonk:
You are not the only one who disturbed your digestion in your youth. Now, in a more mature age, it is very difficult and there are side effects.
No kidding.

Nowadays if I even look at food, my gut hates me.

Post Reply

Return to “Eats and Drinks”