Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

boskone

Re: Food Chat - Dinner conversation anyone?

Post by boskone » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:50 pm

About a month ago I canned a batch of chili. (And two jars of water, because...uh...I had space for two more jars.) Most of it's in the fridge, since as a novice I wanted to take all precautions, but one jar's in the pantry.

Over the last week I've eaten the first jar from the fridge with no ill effects. I figure that's promising.

The jar in the pantry looks fine. My current plan is to leave it in the pantry 'til mid-November, then (assuming no odd smells) eat it, and see how things go.

I'm thinking of trying canning some potatoes and hamburger this week. Potatoes because they're kind of a staple and just don't store great around here, hamburger because it's on sale.

Anyone know an equivalent of the USDA canning guide for dehydrating?

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:38 am

I was going to vacuum-seal some dried rice and beans. I got the beans done, but found three unfortunate things:

Discovery 1: I accidentally ordered mylar bags for a chamber vacuum sealer. I wasted a good amount of time trying to come up with a way to use them anyway, without success. I ended up vac sealing the beans into a regular bag, with deoxygenator and dessican, then just sealing that into a mylar bag. Inelegent, but it'll work.

Discovery 2: I'm out of vacuum bag rolls, which I remembered as soon as I saw the empty box.

Discovery 3: Now that I'm actually interested in canning, I've lost my attachment for vac-sealing mason jars. That would have been kinda handy.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:09 am

A post on Oct. 7th gives a link to food preservation site. They list article/s on canning.

slipkid42

Post by slipkid42 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 am

Made deer jerky on smoker yesterday, about 5 lbs - it'll be gone in a week :)

Return to “Eats and Drinks”