Kimchi for preserving cabbage?

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

Kimchi for preserving cabbage?

Post by quazi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Cabbage is one of the things that grows really well here. A lot of people make sauerkraut to preserve their crop. For them it lasts all winter in a bucket in their root cellar.

Unfortunately I don't like sauerkraut, but I recently discovered that I do like kimchi. Can kimchi be stored for months like sauerkraut? Does anyone have any useful info on making it or links to such?

I tried some basic googling but mostly what I found was recipes for making kimchi and eating it right away or people wondering how long store bought kimchi lasted after opening the jar.

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Re: Kimchi for preserving cabbage?

Post by manacheck » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:26 am

https://www.koreanbapsang.com/baechu-ki ... ge-kimchi/ This site is pretty good, and includes some pictures. Short answer: similar to sauerkraut, yes, it can be kept for months. Older kimchi gains a sour flavor and is used in different dishes than fresh kimchi.

Traditionally, kimchi was made annually, this making good sense with consideration to the harvesting time of cabbages. I have also seen glass-canned kimchi in stores in refrigeration sections, though I think that processing kimchi in canning jars at home to try to render it shelf-stable would kill the live ferment.
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:54 am

Thanks! I'll try that recipe out on a small batch and then if I like it I'll make a bunch this fall.

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:12 am

quazi wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:54 am
Thanks! I'll try that recipe out on a small batch and then if I like it I'll make a bunch this fall.
Glad to help. You should take photos of how it turns out! :D
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:25 am

Just as a side note, if you're looking for ways to preserve cabbage, shredded cabbage dehydrates really well. Not going to make a convincing coleslaw, but for soups and the like, works fine and rehydrated very quickly.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm

I'll have to try dehydrating as well. I've got an electric dehydrator and I'm thinking about rigging some sort of drying rack above my wood stove far enough away that it won't cook whatever I put above it. I also want to build a solar dehydrator. I'm putting a vegetable stand on and old wagon this year that I'm hoping to convert to the solar dehydrator next year. I know we're planning to freeze some this fall, but it's nice to have methods that don't take up freezer space.

The storage cabbages we grow keep for a few months on their own. What I'm thinking is if I can just hang them in the cellar for a few months then I can ferment/dehydrate/freeze them later and avoid having to do all that work during the fall rush.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:24 pm

quazi wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:23 pm
I'm thinking about rigging some sort of drying rack above my wood stove far enough away that it won't cook whatever I put above it.
What about putting the rack off to the side?
I also want to build a solar dehydrator.
Shit, I should do that. Put these hot, sunny summers to work.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:24 pm
quazi wrote:
I'm thinking about rigging some sort of drying rack above my wood stove far enough away that it won't cook whatever I put above it.
Not a bad idea. Off to the side would help keep it from getting as warm, but there would also be less air movement. It might be worth making racks all over to test out and whatever I don't use for vegetables I can use for drying socks and gloves.

About the time we have a lot of vegetables ready it's the rainy part of the year, so I don't know if a solar dehydrator will work for us. They seem cheap to make though, so I figure it's worth a shot and it might be able to do the first part of the dehydrating and then finish the stuff off in an electric one.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:13 pm

quazi wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm
boskone wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:24 pm
quazi wrote:
Not a bad idea. Off to the side would help keep it from getting as warm, but there would also be less air movement. It might be worth making racks all over to test out and whatever I don't use for vegetables I can use for drying socks and gloves.
Maybe one of those thermoelectric flue fans for air movement?
About the time we have a lot of vegetables ready it's the rainy part of the year, so I don't know if a solar dehydrator will work for us. They seem cheap to make though, so I figure it's worth a shot and it might be able to do the first part of the dehydrating and then finish the stuff off in an electric one.
The actual "vegetable season" is pretty rainy here, but it's also sunny any time it's not raining. So I might be able to dehydrate things that preserve OK anyway in the summer, and maybe rig something to keep the humidity down for things that would need to be dried earlier. I'll have to look, since I hadn't even thought about it until your post. :D

Might play around with a small one this fall, see if it'll still adequately dehydrate so long as it doesn't actively get rained on.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:16 pm

Yeah, one of those fans would probably work and I want to get one anyway.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:11 am

I haven't made any kimchi yet, but I tried dehydrating some cabbage and it is was tastier than I was expecting.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:09 pm

I made my own Kimchi recently with these slightly gimmicky lids https://nourishedessentials.com/product ... -fermenter

It has been pretty great, I need some more large masons to make more ferments now
Man is a beast of prey

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:02 am

the_alias wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:09 pm
I made my own Kimchi recently with these slightly gimmicky lids https://nourishedessentials.com/product ... -fermenter

It has been pretty great, I need some more large masons to make more ferments now
Those seem pretty interesting. I do have plenty of wide-mouth jars. One of the WWOOFers at our place has been fermenting different things in jars. I particularly liked the fermented cauliflower she made.

I was trying to figure how how to get weights for 5 gallon buckets, as everything I was finding online were either for canning jars or crocks, but I knew that lots of people around here did it in buckets. I brought it up to my mom and it turns out to be a pretty obvious solution: dinner plates.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”