Lentils

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Lentils

Post by lailr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Just got a ton of these for free, like 50 lbs. I don't know anything about them, how's the best way to make them palatable?

woodsghost

Re: Lentils

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:35 pm

Lentils? I boil them for 20-30 minutes, or until you think they are soft enough to eat. I mis them with other things, like noodles, or rice, and add meat if I have it. I also add whatever my favorite seasoning I have on hand. I will usually also add some veggies, but not always necessary.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Lots of recipies online. Or just make like ham and beans.

lailr
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, I am Legend, Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)

Post by lailr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:13 pm

They seemed kind of bland and generic for the first small batch I made

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:35 pm

lailr wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:13 pm
They seemed kind of bland and generic for the first small batch I made
If you are not using spices then yes, I imagine they were a bit bland. I need spices, meats, and/or vegetables to make the whole deal taste good. A lot of shelf stable foods are pretty bland by themselves. So if you are stocking up for a zombie infestation, make sure to have some garlic, onions, salt, pepper, and whatever other flavors you "need." For me, salt, garlic, onion, and pepper are must-haves.

And if you boil them long enough they fall apart and make a split pea soup kinda thing.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:14 pm

You have to use spices for Lentils, Curry spice is a good move anything with a bit of heat will work.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:09 am

There are a ton of recipes for lentils. You can pretty much use them as you would any other type of bean. They make a good hummus instead of using chickpeas. The real key to using them, IMO, is to make sure you cook them to the desired consistency for what you are using them. For something like a ham and bean soup, cook the snot our of them. They are delicious added to salads, though, using them instead of grains or pasta. In that case, they need to be cooked until soft, but they hold their shape. One of my favorite ways to eat them is a salad with a red wine vinaigrette, diced red onion, arugula, fresh oregano, cumin, feta cheese, diced celery or carrot or some other crunchy vegetable, and crushed pistachios on top. Obviously that is a little fancy for a Z-poc meal, but if you're wanting something that is fast to throw together and you can eat at room temp, it is good for now.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

lailr

Post by lailr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:05 am

So basically, as a prepper food, treat it like an eternal stew, and add whatever I can scrounge.

Thanks

CG

Post by CG » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 am

You can also use them to stretch your current provisions.

I used to mix cooked ground beef with lentils half and half and use that as my base for spaghetti meat and taco meat.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am

Mujaddara! (recipe from https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... a-51100640)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 4 or 5 large onions, halved and thinly sliced (use the slicing blade on your food processor, or a mandoline if you have one)
  • Salt and pepper
  • N/A freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils, sorted and rinsed
  • 1 1/4 cups long-grain white rice
  • Plain yogurt or sour cream, optional, for serving
PREPARATION
1. Heat the olive oil in a very large nonstick skillet over low heat (if you only have smaller skillets, divide the oil and onions between two). When the oil shimmers, add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Meanwhile, bring 4 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan or small stockpot and add the lentils. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, then add the rice and half the cooked onions. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered, over very low heat until the lentils and rice are tender, about 20 minutes more. You may need to add more water toward the end; check after 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest, covered, for 5 minutes.
3. While the rice and lentils are cooking, cook the onions remaining in the skillet over low heat, stirring often, until dark brown and nearly crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Serve hot or at room temperature, with browned onions sprinkled on top. Add a dollop of the yogurt or sour cream if desired.

NOTES: Nonstick skillet not required. It will take closer to 45 minutes total to properly caramelize the onions.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

lailr

Post by lailr » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 am

Thanks!

Return to “Eats and Drinks”