Shelf Stable/Food Storage Recipes

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Shelf Stable/Food Storage Recipes

Post by manacheck » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:53 pm

Feel free to merge this, if there's a recipe thread it'd be better in. I looked back until 2014 and didn't see one (weirdly imo, thought there was one already somewhere)... barring the more specific threads for individual peoples' personal adventures, anyways. (usually deliciously pic heavy.)

This morning I came up with a new pancake recipe that turned out unexpectedly deliciously. Not sure how to upload pics, but next time, I'll try to take photos. I used a small coffee spoon for my "measurement" and literally eyeballed it on the flour, and so measurements listed are approximate to what I think looked right. The resulting pancakes for this recipe were kind of thick, fluffy but dense, sweet, and I ate them by picking them up and eating them one by one with my bare hands. :lol:

I think this recipe would freeze well between wax paper for retoasting later.

Banana Peel, Maple flavored, and Whey Powder Pancakes

Ingredients

1/2T-1 T dehydrated raw egg, ground fine in mortar
1T banana peel, dried, ground fine in mortar
cool, not hot or warm, water for rehydrating; combine very well with the above

1/2 scoop (around 1T) whey powder, plain, unflavored
1t molasses (eyeballed directly in, not measured)
4 small "normally-full" spoonfuls of white sugar, around 2-3T
2 individual drops of maple extract
more cool water if needed for proper consistency, whey pdr sucks it up fast

rehydrate the batter for 10-15 min, before cooking, creamed well
(if the egg is still granules in the batter before cooking it, it's not rehydrated properly.)

about a cup or so of generic wheat flour
a few shakes of salt (2-3 shakes from a salt shaker)
a very small amount finely crushed baking pdr (around 1/8t or less)

Stir in dry to creamed mixture very well, do not leave lumps. The batter should be slightly sticky and have "that vaguely shiny sheen" that comes from the whey and sugar. If needed, add more flour or water to get the consistency batter you prefer. Whey in batter makes it stiffer than batter without whey.

2T ghee/clarified butter, unsalted, both for frying, and also for spreading on top of cakes after they're done
no need for syrup because it's already quite sweet, similarly to dorayaki in consistency

To cook, melt 1-2t ghee, to cover cast iron fry pan bottom thinly, before adding pancake batter to pan to make small pancakes
use a scraper to get all the batter from the bowl when making pancakes as batter is sticky
re-cover fry pan bottom with additional thin layer ghee as needed, if using a small fry pan and doing in batches, or cakes will stick
don't use too high heat or whey content burns; medium heat using cast iron fry pan is good
do not cover fry pan with a lid to trap steam in, this makes any pancake recipe turn out tough
pancakes should be flipped when one side is browned, even if bubbles not appearing on top like with regular pancakes
pancakes do not taste of banana

makes about 5-6 small pancakes with a flavor sort of like sweet french toast sticks, but much less "eggy" flavored (and MUCH less messy)
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Re: Shelf Stable/Food Storage Recipes

Post by manacheck » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:37 pm

Spicy Banana Peel Tortillas (with Tandoori Refried Beans)

I decided to use banana peel a bit differently this time to try out how it worked. It had a nice result.
I used fresh peels at the banana bread ripeness point for this try. Rehydrated dried peel could be used instead.
But a cool thing; you don't need any added water if you're using fresh (not yet dried) peels, to make these tortillas.

3 large banana peels, washed before peeling, pulled into thin strips, then chopped (the banana inside were used for quickbread)
a teaspoon of cooking oil or ghee, just to reduce sticking to the pan

Cook the banana peels on a cast iron frying pan with a bit of grease for a few minutes, stirring, to try to drive the natural moisture off via steam, without burning. They peels'll cook in their own moisture as you do this. When you're ready, take the chopped peel out of the fry pan to cool, then chop them very fine, multiple times, folding them, as if trying to make hamburger out of steak, until they come together and seem like ground meat in consistency. Clean and dry the frying pan.

3/4 C flour (plus an additional, reserved 1 1/4C - 1 1/2C flour for later; around 3C total for flour)
plastic scraper

Measure out maybe 1/2C of the reserved flour for the board before beginning as your hands will get very doughy. Knead/squish the 3/4C flour into the banana peel meal with your hands until dough forms. It'll be sticky until there's sufficient flour absorbed in, so you'll need the scraper or some dough will stay stuck on the board.

spices:
a bit of celery seed, some garam masala, some crumbled dried dandelion leaf, tumeric, and a couple sprinkles of cayenne pepper

Put the spices on the kneading board and place the dough on top, then fold the spices "inside" until all the spices are "off" the board and within the dough, then add more flour about 1/4C at a time, as it'll be accepted, and as is sufficient to keep the dough from sticking to the board. The longer you knead, the better, as this will develop the gluten (wheat flour protein) and allow the dough to stretch better.

4T oil, divided

When the dough seems soft and the gluten seems developing, make an indent in the dough and pour a T or two of oil in. Carefully so it doesn't squirt out on you, make an oil dumpling and then knead it carefully to let the oil fully incorporate into the dough. Do this again to incorporate the rest of the oil.

Salt, maybe 1/8t

Sprinkle the board with salt and press the dough ball into it on both sides, the knead it in. Add slowly (as it'll be accepted) most of the flour that remains, to make a soft dough, using the rest for rolling it out thinly, into small pliable tortillas. The dough will be delicate.

Heat up the cleaned cast iron frying pan, no oil needed. Add the first tortilla and let it cook on one side until done and specked with light brown spots, then flip and cook the other side. Roll out the next tortilla as the previous one is cooking. (I used the lid for my fry pan as a cutter to make the tortillas more regular in size since my pan was a small 10" one.)

When the tortilla is done, transfer it to a plate. Either flop it over like a taco shell, or let it lay flat. Finish cooking the rest of the tortillas in the same way. Cool any tortillas completely before storing if not using all of them immediately.

Fill 1-3 tortillas with refried beans, below.

Tandoori Refried Beans

I had some red beans soaked that I wanted to use. Cooked them up like this and they went very well with the tortillas. I thought I'd add some onion and salsa but... I... didn't. I just ate everything lol

About a cup or so of cooked beans, drained
a tablespoon of grease
some water

Put the beans in a fry pan with some grease. Smash them with a spoon as you cook them. If they get dry looking, add some water and mix it in to get a creamy consistency as you keep cooking for a couple minutes. Add in spices at some point; I didn't have any taco seasoning so I improvised:

spices: tandoori seasoning, onion powder, salt

When it looks done, and the beans are mashed up as creamy as you like, turn off the heat, take some tortillas, slap some refried beans inside, think about the fact that they look boring and you should probably cut up some onion or put some salad greens or maybe cheese even on it, then take a bite... and realize that's too much effort, this tastes alright just fine. The power of cayenne pepper compels you to need nothing but it. I'd intended to add mushroom to this idea and completely forgot about that, too, but that's fine too.

I'm probably eating too many banana peels this week :lol:
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

Stercutus

Re: Shelf Stable/Food Storage Recipes

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:26 pm

Ranger Pudding

cocoa, beverage powder 1 MRE packet
coffee creamer, 1 MRE packet
sugar, 1 MRE packet
water to whatever consistency you desire
instant coffee powder, 2 single serving MRE packets

Combine ingredients and whip to a paste.

Alternate versions:
- Add up to one package of MRE peanut butter
- Add up to one cracker. Break cracker up, add water, then add other ingredients.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Return to “Eats and Drinks”