Adventures in rice, beans and bulk dry milk storage

For all your pre- and post-PAW food and beverage recipes. Just because it keeps you alive doesn't mean it shouldn't be tasty.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Zed Hunter

Re: Adventures in rice, beans and bulk dry milk storage

Post by Zed Hunter » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 pm

I use mylar bags made to be stored in 5 gal buckets. Yes you can only get 4 in one bucket but that was 44 lbs of wheat berries. For rice and beans I use 5"×13" 7mil bags. They will hold 1.5lb of beans. To ensure a balanced protein just store 14 bean soup mix. It includes anasazi beans. With rice and corn bread, some greens from the woods, there you go.

I personally have about a month of long storage fat around my middle, so I need to plan further out. Canning your own clarified butter, meats, and fish is doable but not recommended by the FDA. Canning bacon is easy. Making bacon is easy. Keep resrarching.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:12 pm

The buckets are used to hold 1 gallon mylar bags only.

We have SPAM! and other LTS Hormel products sitting in can saver racks.

My grab and go stuff is almost all - already loaded in the das Auto.. I would need to grab my giant FAK set and ore-positioned water jugs prior to unasing the AO.

You need to spend some time over on some of the LDS sites if you are looking for spreadsheets etc.

Here is a bit of hard earned wisdom shared by my late FIL. He was part of the invation force to the PI durig WW2. He stayed on as an MP as part of the GCS company.

He said food etc that wasn't stolen by a person's "good friends and neighbors" was taken at gunpoint as "taxes" by the local Gov't - either the restored PI authorities or the Japanese. If you can't hide, you are not going to keep it.

This from a man born and raised in rural Utah - deep into Mormon country. - he didn't bother to keep any real LTS - just what they caned as surplus each year from the garden.

YMMV
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:14 pm

TacAir wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:12 pm

Here is a bit of hard earned wisdom shared by my late FIL. He was part of the invation force to the PI durig WW2. He stayed on as an MP as part of the GCS company.

He said food etc that wasn't stolen by a person's "good friends and neighbors" was taken at gunpoint as "taxes" by the local Gov't - either the restored PI authorities or the Japanese. If you can't hide, you are not going to keep it.

QFT
That's why security is an equal part of the seven pointed triangle of survival isms and rules of 3, where 2 is one and one is none and none means dead........

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:11 pm

TacAir wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:10 pm
If you look at old school recipes (pre-1900) you quickly see that bacon grease/fat is a major item for use in cooking.

I have a basement LTS storage area that rarely get above 50F - or below 35F - so we get maximum shelf life from our goods.
Mmmm. Bacon grease.

I was more thinking of the old Jewish grandmas and their prized schmaltz; there had to be a way to keep it, seeing as butchering a chicken wasn't done new every day. Like you said, though, with a basement as cool as that, it'd be like a refrigerator all on its own.

I'm with you on the Crisco. Your basement storage area sounds like a great resource.

About canning jerky, I'm not sure about shelf life, but you can can bacon just fine with a good shelf life of at least a year or two. (Commercially canned bacon precooks their bacon before rolling it in parchment paper and pressure canning it, to reduce the gelatinousness.)

Having done salted duck (and chicken) eggs before, I'm not sure I'd like preserved meat with that same necessary level of salt concentration. But if I did try it, I think I'd be buying some pink salt to keep botulism down. And I'd want to check on it every month or two to wash/repack/check or change the brine out, ala salt pork or corned beef.

I have seen on... JS... Townsends? on youtube, an old fashioned potted meat recipe from civil war times, where well-cooked meat is smashed into bits and then mixed with drawn butter so the air is fully excluded, then covered with an inch or two of more drawn butter to seal it away from air. I would imagine this could work well enough with jerky, as long as the meat and butter were both cooked hot enough to destroy any organisms before sealing them. I'm not sure whether I'd feel safe to pressure can even completely clarified butter AFTER filling jars. :crazy:

Here's a link to a site with someone who has pictures of this last idea: https://www.realtree.com/timber-2-table ... eat-recipe

You could also give salt plus fermentation a try, like with saewujeot or myeolchijeot. Though with fermentation, you have to make sure to not use iodine salt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myeolchi-jeot
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:42 pm

manacheck wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:11 pm
I have seen on... JS... Townsends? on youtube, an old fashioned potted meat recipe from civil war times
Townsends, maybe?

Good channel.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:41 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:42 pm
manacheck wrote:
I have seen on... JS... Townsends? on youtube, an old fashioned potted meat recipe from civil war times
Townsends, maybe?

Good channel.
The channel has an entire '18th Century Cooking" series - using old school recipe items. I'm sure a modern dietician would have a cow given the amount of butter, bacon grease and eggs used in the Chow,.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4z5x35IoWA

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:27 am

TacAir wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:41 am
boskone wrote:
manacheck wrote:
Townsends, maybe?

Good channel.
The channel has an entire '18th Century Cooking" series - using old school recipe items. I'm sure a modern dietician would have a cow given the amount of butter, bacon grease and eggs used in the Chow,.

Given the rapidity with which modern dieticians change their views on things, and that most of my family has exceeded 80 years since at least the mid-19th century, I'm willing to risk the dieticians' wrath. ;)

Especially since so many of the old recipes taste so good.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:24 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:27 am
Especially since so many of the old recipes taste so good.
Fuck YEAH!

manacheck
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan

Post by manacheck » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:48 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:41 am
boskone wrote:
manacheck wrote:
Townsends, maybe?

Good channel.

Yes! That's it, thanks.

Pssht. Modern dieticians are fads. Bacon grease is where it's at.
"It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:39 pm

James does a lot of open fire cooking and with few kitchen 'tools'. All of which should be studied by preppers, campers, Scouts and anyone else that cooks 'outdoors'.

The 'cooking kettle' (Dutch oven) cooking episodes are of interest to me.

Return to “Eats and Drinks”