It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So I feel like there are a lot of people on ZS that make pretty cool stuff. And, I probably can't afford to buy most of it at this point in my life. But, I also make some pretty cool stuff, so maybe we can trade? Not only is this a way we can all get some awesome gear, bartering with each other can help us all hone a skill that can be quite valuable in difficult and apocalyptic situations.

OK, so what am I offering? I make my own flashlights.

Image Image

The bodies are solid copper (plumbing parts), which I color with adhesive vinyl and mylar and seal with clear heatshrink to get desired color schemes; the heatshrink also makes it quite grippy and ergonomic. They take regular AA batteries, and I have LEDs of every color of the visual spectrum (seriously, name a wavelength on the visual spectrum: I have something that emits within 15 nanometers or closer). I can do diffused lenses on the end (floodlight), or clear (spotlight). Some colors of LED also emit fairly collimated light, so any design I laser engrave on the lens shows up in the beam (batsignal, more or less; simpler designs work better).

Oh, I also use military-grade photoluminescent (glow-in-the-dark) tape on the front and back of the flashlight; when you turn the light on, the scatter from the beam charges up the strip around the head, or just having it in an area that gets any light during the day charges it enough that you can find it at night (pic below is what they look like in full dark surroundings).

The flashlights are direct drive, so they do get dimmer as the batteries drain, but on the other hand there's no complex electronics in them to break. The electrical circuit consists of (replaceable) AA batteries, and LEDs (which last basically forever). Lumens vary, but they're in the range of ~15 to 40. I can also supercharge them with some higher end emitters (white only) to boost the brightness up to approximately 100 lumens. If you're wondering how bright a lumen is, an old-school incandescent mini maglite did about 14 lumens.

The main downside to these flashlights from the perspective of survival gear is that they're fairly heavy (they weight about 6 ounces). But again upsides include any color you want for the beam, any color scheme for the body, glows in the dark so you can find it, custom laser-etched pattern on the lens to make a pattern in the beam. Oh, also they're immersion waterproof to shallow depth, as long as the head is screwed on moderately tight; I've keep one turned on in a glass of water for a full day with no ill effects.

I also have access to a full machine shop, so I could potentially make you some totally custom object you need out of wood or plastic or metal, but that would be a lot of work, so you better be offering me something really cool :)

OK, what do I want? Mostly I'm interested in items that are handmade and useful (not just decorative); I really appreciate craftsmanship, and I would like to have more of it around me. But, on the other hand I also don't have a lot of gear, so if you got something quality that you don't want anymore, feel free to PM me even if it's not handmade. The only things I would categorically rule out are firearm accessories (don't have or want guns at this point), and stuff that screams 'taciticool' (i.e. jet black and covered in MOLLE loops). I like to keep a low profile.

Will I take money? Sure, I would probably want $40 plus shipping (~$5 to most places in US) to start off for a flashlight, more if you want extras like laser engraving etc.

I really hope we can get a cool handmade barter exchange going here; if you think that's a good idea, please make your own post about what you can make!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:21 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Very cool! It's great to see people with the initiative and know how to make stuff like this.

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:23 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

These are awesome. Truly.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:40 am 

I have a flashlight fetish and so have many flashlights.

So while I am in no need of one I think it's cool that you make them. :clap:

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:47 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Got my first taker! Traded a custom flashlight to jboy48111 for some medical supplies.

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” -Isaac Asimov