I made a web app for preppers - try it out!

Place for you to sell or trade your stuff with other ZS members. Please read the sticky about selling stuff before you post. Note that only paid members may post in Bartertown.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

I made a web app for preppers - try it out!

Post by derf26 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Hi there!

I’ve just spent the last year (with some help from my wife) working full-time on a website for preppers to help you manage your preps, know how many days you have stored and when your items are going to expire, keep track of your inventory across multiple locations, maintain a shopping list, and more.

It’s called WePrep (www.weprepapp.com) because you can collaborate with your family (if you’re lucky and they’re into prepping) and see each other’s changes sync up.

Over the past few years, whenever I’ve stockpiled food, first aid, or other perishable items, I’ve noticed that I’ve often forgotten what I’ve stored and when it expires, so by the time I open my Bug out Bag and check the food I have in there, it’s already expired. And about once every year or two I have to go through all my first aid kits, item by item, to find what’s expired and re-buy it. It’s annoying, and kind of dangerous. I don’t want to be in an emergency with expired food or medication.

I also wanted a good way to track how much food, water, and medication I had stored in terms of days. I looked for a website that could do it and didn’t find anything particularly good. So since I’m a software developer, I decided to make my own!

You can add an inventory of all the things you own, when they expire, and their size. The website will keep track of how many calories you’ve entered in each of your food items, do some calculations based on you and your family’s caloric needs, and tell you how many days of food you have stored. You can set up an unlimited number of locations to keep track of things (e.g. your house, your car, your EDC backpack, your bug out bag, your bug out location, etc.).

When something in your pantry is about to expire, you get a notification on the website (and a weekly email summarizing things). The website also has an integrated shopping list, so you can add items that are running low or expiring items you need to replace.

You can also keep track of things like smoke detector batteries, A/C filters, and other household items that need regular maintenance or replacement, and setup email alerts that will notify you at your desired frequency.

The website runs in a browser on Windows, Mac, and Linux computers, and on iOS and Android mobile devices.

By the end of the year, I’m also going to finish up and release the iOS app, which will have some additional fanciness like an offline mode (in case you want to keep using the app during a grid-down/blackout event) and push notifications to inform you when your stuff is expiring in an even more interactive way.

If there is enough interest in WePrep, I have a long list of additional features I’d like to implement, and I’m also happy to take on any suggestions for new features or feedback about improvements.

You can sign up for a free 14 day trial (no credit card required) and if you feel like there’s enough value in it for you, you can subscribe for a monthly fee of $3.99. I’m hoping that the notifications of expiring items will save you at least that much every month, because you won’t be wasting food or first aid supplies.

I know that privacy is always a concern with anything you enter into a computer, so I’ve chosen third party service providers that require payment and aren’t “free” because they sell data to marketers, and the data that I manage is encrypted both in transit and at rest once it reaches the database. That’s also why I’m charging money rather than offering you a “free” service in exchange for selling your data to advertisers. I believe that if you don’t pay for a product, you become the product. I’m also collecting as little information as possible, for example I don’t ask you for your full address, only a ZIP Code for sales tax purposes. You can read my privacy policy here: http://www.ignitionforge.com/privacy-policy.html.

Note that for now I can only accept U.S. customers due to the complexity and cost involved in calculating, collecting, and filing international sales taxes, but if there’s enough interest I’ll work on setting this up and rolling out internationally.

I hope you guys find WePrep (www.weprepapp.com) useful, and I’d appreciate any feedback you may have. 

Please let me know if you have any questions!
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: I made a web app for preppers - try it out!

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:15 pm

Locked for mod review

Topic moved to Bartertown and unlock. Thank you for your patience. 8-)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “Bartertown”