It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Come do some good for a local charity in St. Louis, MO and get in on the filming of a program which will air on the cable network History.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

What: Concert / Food Drive Benefiting Operation Food Search

Who: Zombie Squad: The world’s premiere non-stationary cadaver suppression task force.
DICEGRINDER: Gods of NerdCore Dragon Metal
Bill Forness: A Johnny Cash Tribute
Jesse Irwin: Old Country, Sharp Knife
Strawfoot: Sinners Welcome
Operation Food Search: A St. Louis area food bank that distributes food free of charge to the poor and hungry.

When: Saturday July 23, 2011 8:30 pm till 1:30 am

Where: The Heavy Anchor, 5226 Gravois, St. Louis, MO 63116

How much: 10 Canned Food Items or $5

EVENT SUMMARY

On July 23, 2011 at 8:00 p.m., Zombie Squad will host a night of entertainment benefiting Operation Food Search, a non-profit organization providing food to the hungry in Missouri and Illinois, at The Heavy Anchor, a great new music venue and drinking establishment in South St. Louis. The event will feature live performances from Bill Forness (Johnny Cash Tribute), St. Louis's own NerdCore Dragon Metal band DICEGRINDER, the
classic country stylings of Jesse Irwin,and Strawfoot. There willl be post apocalyptic photo opportunities, raffles (all attendees receive one raffle ticket and can purchase additional tickets for 2 canned goods or $1), and Zombie Squad's own Public Service Announcements.

Established in 1981 to tackle the growing problem of hunger, Operation Food Search is a St. Louis area food bank that distributes food free of charge to feed the poor and hungry. Each month, Operation Food Search distributes more than 2 million pounds of food and necessities to 265 food pantries, soup kitchens, and homeless shelters in 31 counties of Missouri and Illinois. Operation Food Search feeds approximately 120,000 people every single month - nearly half of these recipients are children.

ZOMBIE SQUAD

Zombie Squad is an international organization whose mission is to educate the public about the importance of disaster preparedness and readiness for disasters ranging from earthquakes, tornadoes, and the occasional zombie apocalypse. With 28 chapters across the U.S., U.K., and Canada, Zombie Squad also encourages our members to be active in their communities. By helping each other now, while not in the midst of an emergency, we build the bonds that will help us stand together when the unthinkable happens. For more information, visit http://www.zombiehunters.org.

For more information about bands and organizations involved:

ZOMBIE SQUAD- Keeping St. Louis Zombie Free since 2003. http://www.zombiehunters.org
OPERATION FOOD SEARCH - Feeding St. Louis's Hungry and Needy. http://www.operationfoodsearch.org/
DICEGRINDER-Gods of NerdCore Dragon Metal- http://www.myspace.com/dicegrinder
BILL FORNESS-Bring Back the Man in Black- http://www.jcashtribute.co​m/
JESSE IRWIN-Old Country, Sharp Knife- http://www.youtube.com/wat
STRAWFOOT- Sinners Welcome! http://strawfoot.com/

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

And I will be there. :twisted:

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:31 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Quote:
Not content to simply fight the undead masses and raging firenados, Zombie Squad has turned its sights on hunger in St. Louis as a problem that must be dealt with. In that spirit, we bring you ZOMBIE SQUAD vs. HUNGER: The Day The Music Un-Died. If you are in the St. Louis area, join ZS-HQ on Saturday July, 23 at 8:00 pm for a night of music, videos, mayhem, and excitement. You'll be treated to great music from south city's own Jesse Irwin - who's playing style will take you back in time. Bill Forness's tribute to Johnny Cash will make you question whether the Man In Black is actually dead. Strawfoot will sooth your troubled soul with their unique brand of drinking music. Dragon metal gods DICEGRINDER will crush your enemies, drag them before you, and make sure their women lament all over the place. And to top it all off, we'll be showing the newest Zombie Squad Public Service Announcement fresh off the deck of the Webster University video department.

Admission is 10 canned goods or $5. Every admission receives a raffle ticket. Additional tickets can be purchased for $1 or 2 canned goods. Help us put hunger down for good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:31 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

As of right now ill be down for this (gotta make sure the dogsitter is good to go)

Anyone got any suggestions/wanna meet me for dinner before the show?

Lookin forward to meeting some ZS001 members

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:51 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Great event! I had a blast.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:09 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I wish I could have made it. What's the final count?

I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:42 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

1SR437 wrote:
I wish I could have made it. What's the final count?

$751.50 and 7 drums filled with food.

Did anyone get pictures of the food? I totally forgot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:44 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

I don't know why I don't take more pictures in general. I'll share what few I have from this weekend. Just multiply these cans by like 12 and you'll have a good idea of how many cans were raised.

Ro and I collected up here in Springfield from friends on Facebook and coworkers. Primarily we used the "pester people enough until they pay you in cans to go away" method of fundraising. Although apparently we didn't come the furthest distance (looking your direction Rockford-boy), we did need to make sure we brought enough to justify the gas and drive down.

It was at the Heavy Anchor in St Louis and the venue was fantastic. At some point they raised what must have been a giant garage door partition because the room more than doubled in size and there was stage at the far end. Outside there were hotdogs being grilled and the Discovery Channel was filming interviews for their documentary. Inside we had a ZS merch booth and an airbrush setup on one end, live music at the other end, and awesome people all in between.

Ro and I, sadly, had to bail about about midnight so we could make the drive back up to Springfield and she had to work the next day. About halfway home I realized (when stopping for food) that I never closed my tab and the bar was holding my credit card hostage. I hadn't previously committed to going back down for the mock disaster/game night, but I figured going back to get my card was enough to make that decision for me. Besides it was either first aid training, or video games all day while Ro was working.

The food drive was fantastic and I'm glad we made the trip down. Also, a lot of bars aren't open on Sunday - so make sure you check that out BEFORE driving all the way down to get your credit card back.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

To say i had a good time this weekend doesnt cover it.

Thanks to all of you guys and gals of ZS001, Your hospitality was amazing and you made me feel welcome and right at home.

The food drive was a blast! Dicegrinder was a must see and did not disappoint. The pool party after the show wasnt half bad either :twisted: If all of ZS001's events are like that one im going to quit my job and move to St louis!

and yes its true, i drove much further than robfrench but he and Ro certainly out did me with the sheer number of cans they brought (150 in total! props to them both) I just so happened to be working the door when he decided to show up and i had to count out 130 or so raffle tickets and then split them all apart. It was all worth it when i got to hand Rob a mount of tangled tickets and say "congratulations you win" He is certainly a stand up guy and i could go on about it but he also seems to be the modest type so ill stop there

This weekend was full of good times and even better people. ZS001 knows how its done