Donate to the Zombie Squad's Disaster Relief Fund for Japan

Upcoming charity events hosted by Zombie Squad and its Chapters.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Re: Donate to the Zombie Squad's Disaster Relief Fund for Ja

Post by kyle » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:54 am

JamesCannon wrote:Maybe we can see if we could contact someone at PayPal and ask them if they could waive or reduce the fees for this event, considering the purpose, and what not. :roll: Sheesh. $500 off the top. Smart bastards.
We didn't want to say anything about this until we knew for sure but we spoke with paypal about this. I did a lot of begging on Thursday of last week and they said they might be able to waive fees for any donations going to Japan relief. We had to send them a bunch of documentation. We're still waiting for a decision to be made though.

The main reason we let the drive go further than 10K was because there was a chance Paylpal would wave the fees for this. Unfortunately, there is a big chance they won't so we had to assume the worse because if they didn't, we would have some trouble covering the fees if it got too big. We went ahead and make a decision to cover the ZS bank account's ass.

If they do waive the fees, we'll let you guys know. I don't know if we will open up the drive again or not. My guess at this point is that we won't because we don't have the time to manage it. If we do open the donations back up, it will just be a simple donation page and we won't be offering free memberships, banners and such because of limited volunteer time.

Just to give you guys some perspective...

Volunteer time:
- Research a suitable charity worthy of ZS donations
- Get an reasonable estimate of costs and get approval from ZS board
- Set up the charity drive website/paypal stuff
- Wrangle up volunteers to help write up press stuff, design artwork, soliciting, etc.
- Advertise the drive everywhere
- Setting up the forum banners for users - this ended up being the bulk of my volunteer time
- Make announcements to keep you guys in formed
- Mail the check to charity and mail dogtags/prizes to all the super wonderful donors
- Setting up a ton of new memberships (sorry Jen!)

ZS funds:
- paypal fees = about $500.00 (but this may get waived)
- 250 dog tags = $$$ not sure yet.
- cost of shipping dog tags and raffle prizes = around $200.00
- cost of supplies for the 100+ new member badges

While this is a costly endeavor for us it's probably the best use of our money. Thanks to this community we turned around $1,000.00 of ZS's cash into over $13,000.00 :)

I appreciate the offers we've been given from people who want to donate to ZS to help cover our costs for this drive, but I think that money would be better spent on the charity. We would rather you guys donate to Direct Relief International (or other charity organization helping out with the relief effort) instead of ZS.

I think we did great. But, it's obvious we can do more next time!
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

My thanks to all who contributed. I will heading on over to the ZS shop and picking up a few items. It would be cool if those of you who can swing it would pick up a few items too. Even if Paypal removes the fees, our guys back at the home office are busting their humps on this and any appreciation i'm sure would be thankfully accepted.

I love that we as an "internet forum" can do the things we do. Donations and educational seminars. Volunteer work and food drives. We are more than just an internet forum and horrible events like in Japan prove this every time. But don't forget the hard work tha goes into each of these drives. None of them get paid... it's done on their free time that they give up for us to have nice things like dog tags and cool banners. I think that any little thing you can do to help out makes this group that much better and greater than it was before. So before I start rambling any more than I already have, GO BUY STUFF!!!. It helps ZS to keep doing the things we do.
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Makarov
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Makarov » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:12 pm

I was going to post this great idea about supporting ZS buy shopping in the webshop, but Wildeman beat me to it...

Damn you Wildeman, damn you to hell... :lol:

And just to add, great work from everyone, $13000 is a lot of money...
Thomas

Der skal Kugle til en Thrønder

RIP hk33k

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 pm

I appreciate the offers we've been given from people who want to donate to ZS to help cover our costs for this drive, but I think that money would be better spent on the charity. We would rather you guys donate to Direct Relief International (or other charity organization helping out with the relief effort) instead of ZS.
lol, first round for everyone involved is on me next time I'm in STL, and am able to stop by the bowling alley, or wherever ZS:001 is meeting at the time. I almost said "beer's on me!" but... my pockets are only so deep. Might have to limit to a round or two :lol:

Hopefully PayPal can waive them. Hell, even if it's just a reimbursement - I would think having the check cashed by DRI would be sufficient documentation. I -totally- understand their requirement for documentation, to avoid a scam that seems to become so popular in the aftermath of such events.

Jaxathon

Post by Jaxathon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Im glad I did my part. I just didnt submit my username =p I like to be different lol!

Osiris Risen
Favorite Zombie Movies: The first three Romero movies, Dance of the Dead, Versus, Flight of the Living Dead (Zombies on a Plane), and most anything else really.

Post by Osiris Risen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd gladly give up my dog tags and pay the shipping on any raffle prizes I might win to save some cash. If enough people feel similarly, is that an option?
Never trust a corpse.

Wildeman_13
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Wildeman_13 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:58 pm

Osiris Risen wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I'd gladly give up my dog tags and pay the shipping on any raffle prizes I might win to save some cash. If enough people feel similarly, is that an option?
I think we are all waiting to see how the whole paypal thing works itself out. If they don't wave the fee, I will be sending a donation in to help cover those costs as well as the above mentioned store stuff.... which I still need to get to. Stupid work keeping me from buying stuff online right now. ;P
raptor wrote: Anyone know if there is an asshat gene? If so it must be a dominant gene.
Image Image

Dust3r

Post by Dust3r » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Wildeman_13 wrote:My thanks to all who contributed. I will heading on over to the ZS shop and picking up a few items. It would be cool if those of you who can swing it would pick up a few items too. Even if Paypal removes the fees, our guys back at the home office are busting their humps on this and any appreciation i'm sure would be thankfully accepted.

I love that we as an "internet forum" can do the things we do. Donations and educational seminars. Volunteer work and food drives. We are more than just an internet forum and horrible events like in Japan prove this every time. But don't forget the hard work tha goes into each of these drives. None of them get paid... it's done on their free time that they give up for us to have nice things like dog tags and cool banners. I think that any little thing you can do to help out makes this group that much better and greater than it was before. So before I start rambling any more than I already have, GO BUY STUFF!!!. It helps ZS to keep doing the things we do.
I'll be there on Friday to make some purchases of my own. But I have to wonder, can I actually wear ZS gear, rock that very cool ZS patch on my Maxpedition Kodiak, or slap one of those ZS stickers on the truck -- If I'm not yet a member? (Seriously, from what I understand, membership takes awhile for the volunteers to process) and try as they may, it appears that Ohio just can't seem to form a chapter (possibly because every attempt to do so begins at a bar. :lol: )

Perhaps, more importantly, will the ZS leadership ever find a way to sell those cool ZS Nalgene bottles that I apparently missed out on a few months ago? Seriously, they should find a way to have those made just for the ZS store. Those things are just too cool!

CrackMunk
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "FIDO"

Post by CrackMunk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm

kyle wrote:Volunteer time:
- Research a suitable charity worthy of ZS donations
- Get an reasonable estimate of costs and get approval from ZS board
- Set up the charity drive website/paypal stuff
- Wrangle up volunteers to help write up press stuff, design artwork, soliciting, etc.
- Advertise the drive everywhere
- Setting up the forum banners for users - this ended up being the bulk of my volunteer time
- Make announcements to keep you guys in formed
- Mail the check to charity and mail dogtags/prizes to all the super wonderful donors
- Setting up a ton of new memberships (sorry Jen!)

ZS funds:
- paypal fees = about $500.00 (but this may get waived)
- 250 dog tags = $$$ not sure yet.
- cost of shipping dog tags and raffle prizes = around $200.00
- cost of supplies for the 100+ new member badges
Thank You and everyone that helped by donating! Kyle Thank you for fixing my F-up on the donation page. :oops:
I will be heading over to the store and picking up a few things soon as that damn pig of mine poops out some pennys in a few weeks. :lol:
ZSC:007
ZSNYWCT2011 surviver

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:17 pm

So who do I get to kill?

Remember, Elke likes explosives, and some of my other characters like caustic chemicals.:)

And congrats to the soon to be zombified winner.:)

The Machinist
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by The Machinist » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:01 am

Osiris Risen wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I'd gladly give up my dog tags and pay the shipping on any raffle prizes I might win to save some cash. If enough people feel similarly, is that an option?
I agree with Osiris. Anything to help out if Paypal does not come through for us. Dog tags are cool, but not as cool as having a great place to come talk about all that it is we talk about and a portal for which we can get involved and do some good. :wink:

Count me in with Osiris' idea.
Blackdog wrote:I can hear you out there now...."But mister Blackdog these wispy wind shirts are not uber tough and able to fend off meteors and wolfs". I say baaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they are really useful, pack real small and harder to F up than you might think and there is always duct tape. High on my things I like list.

XAMOTOMAX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead Remake
Dawn of the Dead Remake
28 Days Later
Dead Snow

Post by XAMOTOMAX » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:07 am

I am in too. What about the idea of state chapter dues? I am a newb to this forum so not sure if it has ever been brought up. But something small like 25 bucks a month from the whole chapter. For instance, 10 state chapters at 25.00 would be 250.00 a month to cover the cost of ZS as a whole. That's not but $3000.00 a year, but it might offset the costs associated with paypal and overhead when doing fundraising.
CERT Trainer--CERT Member--Adult CPR/AED--Child CPR/AED--Infant CPR--Military--Minister

"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS."

I got %96.3761467889908 on the
Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz!

kyle
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Wild Zero, Dawn of the Dead (original), Shaun of the Dead, Dellamorte Dellamore (The Cemetery Man), Braindead, Return of the Living Dead

Post by kyle » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 am

mzmadmike wrote:So who do I get to kill?

Remember, Elke likes explosives, and some of my other characters like caustic chemicals.:)

I'll let you know soon. We're still waiting for a couple more payments to clear (and some free time). I should be able to sort everything out by tomorrow.
Zombie Squad - "We can handle it from here. We've talked about this on the Internet."

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 am

Take your time, direct relief getting there money is the most important. FWIW I'm also down with shit canning the dogtags.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Mike, If I weren't as tight on money right now as I am, getting myself axed in one of your novels would so be worth a grand to charity. If you do the same for the next drive, i'm SO in.
mzmadmike wrote:So who do I get to kill?

Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

theclockwork

Post by theclockwork » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Kyle,

I'm also sure all of us locals who donated would be happy to do pick ups, Hell, I would be happy to do delivery for it all, I got the hearse and I think that would be a grand way to deliver the local prizes.
Zoë: Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?
Book: Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Benjamin Franklin "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."

mzmadmike
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by mzmadmike » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:20 pm

Horatio: Noted. Watch my site and FB for periodic charities, and here of course.
A LONG TIME UNTIL NOW (paperback edition), Jul 2016 from Baen Books
ANGELEYES, Nov 2016 from Baen Books

http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.SharpPointyThings.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Custom, antique and commercial blades

EeRie
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by EeRie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:52 pm

I want to encourage the winners of the raffle prizes to all post pictures with their swag like thinkgeek does the Action Shots! http://www.thinkgeek.com/action-shots/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just so everybody gets to see all the cool stuff!
LasVegasWeekly.com wrote:“If you can survive a zombie apocalypse, you can survive anything,” said Eerie. As the founder of the Vegas chapter/comic relief/skirt chasing degenerate/drunk... Eerie established ZS 009 in January as a way for more colorful members of our community to get involved in activism.
ZSC:009
"Don't gamble with your life, Be Prepared!"

Dust3r

Post by Dust3r » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Oneswunk wrote:FWIW I'm also down with shit canning the dogtags.
Yup! I can do without the dog tags, too. I got me a tag right there under my name that says I made a donation.

Kyle, or anyone else, if you guys (and gals) are reading these posts, you could be saving ZS a few bucks. Might not seem like much, but just like raising the money for Japan, every little bit counts. And the more flexibility ZS has, the more prepared you are for the next event. Just saying...

SeerSavant
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later
Serenity/Firefly (Reavers, man!)

Post by SeerSavant » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:22 pm

If it counts, add me to the dog tag consideration...

Didn't donate for swag, just because I could, and it was needed....

That being said, dog tags could be made available to purchase, as a separate issue, like the Nalgene bottles... Sounds kinda cool.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 pm

^I'll take their swag

rhi
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Evil Dead, 28 Weeks Later.

Post by rhi » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:37 pm

JamesCannon wrote:^I'll take their swag
Swag whore. :wink:
Forget this dead man's town, I'll take you home.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm

rhi wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:^I'll take their swag
Swag whore. :wink:
If I collect enough ZS coins and patches I can trade them in for a new Huffy bike.

XAMOTOMAX
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead Remake
Dawn of the Dead Remake
28 Days Later
Dead Snow

Post by XAMOTOMAX » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Or a decoder ring
CERT Trainer--CERT Member--Adult CPR/AED--Child CPR/AED--Infant CPR--Military--Minister

"GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS."

I got %96.3761467889908 on the
Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz!

Return to “Zombie Squad Charity Projects”