It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:10 pm 

Right now I'm engaged in a discussion with Richard Herring, the owner of the old Millwald Theatre here in town (Wytheville). I'm shooting for one night (probably Halloween night) where at least one zombie movie will be shown (I'd like to show two if possible). If the rental isn't too expensive, I'm going to put all proceeds towards charity (probably the Red Cross). I'm still engaged in negotiations, so the whole thing is still kinda shakey, but if there are any SW Virginians that would like to lend a hand, I'd be more than happy to have any help I can get.
This is the first time I've ever done something like this, so I'm wondering about things like:
*How much should I charge?
I'm thinking somewhere along the lines of $5. It usually costs $6-$6.75 around here to see a movie, so I'm thinking $5 to see both movies.
*What else can I do to make it more interesting?
I'm thinking costume contest or the like.
*How should I go about promoting it?
I could contact the local Red Cross chapter and they could help. I also have a lot of friends of friends, so that's a plus.
*Is there any way I can get permission to use the ZS name?
Just a thought.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:22 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

good luck, sounds like a great idea,

a few things. it doesnt matter why you chargemoney or even if you give the money away, in fact im pretty sure that even if you dont charge money or call it a "donation" you can still get in trouble for copyright infringement from whoever ownes the rights to the movies.

the owner of the theatre should be able to help you out with that stuff.

charging 5 bucks sounds good if you promote it well.

i wouldnt bother asking the red cross to help out but you can get information on there web site or call your local chapter about the name use. they are pretty picky about that. might be easyer to find a more local charity anyway and start developing a relationship with them. red cross is a great orginization but the amount of money you raise will probably be in the few hundred dollar range and that may make a bigger diference localy, plus the locals may be more helpfull with putting it together...unless you want the money to go for katrina or some other big disaster then red cross is a better bet most likely...

having a door prize is always fun. giving out a few zombie themed prizes based on trivia might be fun too but dont forget about the movies!!!

as far as using the ZS name? send a pm to one of us and well get back to you on the limits of that.

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:28 pm 

Ok, so I just got an update only moments after finally posting. Dosen't look like I'll be able to secure a license to charge admission, so it'll have to be a free show with "donations appreciated." Also, there is a church that has taken up residence, and Mr. Herring says he thinks they may have a Halloween program already planned. If all else fails, I could always do it on the 22nd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:51 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

It would be a lot less of a hassel if you do all the other work (promotion, setting up the time/date with the theatre, etc) but let the Charity you want to support deal with the money. This way you are clear of any financial burdon. Also, if something bad happens, like money disappears, you and your team aren't held responsible as much.

Making it a "recommended donation" only and not a charge is how ZS always deals with it. Good call. I'm not sure how the licensing works for that though. If the theatre is cool with it then I'm sure you're fine.

As far as using the ZS name, like Will said, we'll have to talk about it and get back to you but this is exactly the sort of thing ZS is all about. That's very cool.

I'd also recommend a local charity if this is your first charity event. Support your community as much as you can. That's were you keep your stuff. It's good to start small and build up your fundraiser "resume" if you plan to do other charities in the future. People will take you more seriously.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:00 pm 

Yea, I've given some thought about doing it for a local charity, but almost all of them are little more than branches of bigger organizations. I'm trying to find something that would benefit from what little money would be raised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:05 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ask the red cross about other local charities, they actually have a big list...

Only 2 People Can Say They Went To Every Z-Con And Wintergheddon Ever, I'm One Of Them!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:25 pm 

I found a charity that would benefit greatly from the money. It's called HOPE, Inc. (Helping Overcome Poverty's Existance, Inc) It pretty much has all the local charity organizations under one roof. I just got an e-mail from them, and they're on board. Now, it's just a matter of securing the theatre and thinking of some other things to bring in the crowds. Step one, complete! 8)

*EDIT* Something just hit me. Are ratings for the films going to be a problem? I'm guessing the target demographic is going to be 15-25, and since it's a free show, would I have to bar those under 17 without a guardian from coming in if the film is R rated?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:41 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

no, all movie rating systems are voluntary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:32 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

In a world ... where an archaic thread lies forgotten and completely irrelevant for almost ten years .... an unsuspecting forum discovers .... that some things are better left undisturbed ....