It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Will you support Zombie Squad's need for blood?
But of course. 62%  62%  [ 18 ]
No. I am of the selfish. 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Brains! 31%  31%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: RED CROSS/ZS BLOOD DRIVE
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Okay kids, this is the first official notice: Zombie Squad, in cooperation with the St. Louis Police Lodge, The Tin Ceiling theatre troupe, and the American Red Cross, will be having a blood drive, to help replenish the blood supply in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
A most helpful lady from the Red Cross has reserved the date of Dec. 3, 2005 from 11am-2pm for the drive. This is a Saturday.
The location is at the Police Lodge @ 3710 Hampton Ave., St. Louis, MO. 63109.
There will be refreshments, entertainment of a suitable :twisted: type, and quite possibly shenanigans that will become legend. You'll hate yourself and so will I if you miss it.
NOW here's what we need from YOU, the members of the Zombie Squad community: We need a list of names of people who absolutely intend to be there and donate blood. This list will determine how much support we receive from the Red Cross, and I need it by Wednesday of this coming week. We want to have as many people sign up as possible, to show that we mean business, and so I don't look like a total dork all there by myself.
So, IF you will be there to donate blood, send me a PM with your REAL name, so I an add it to the list.
Thanks for your support!

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:52 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Donors Needed!

Every two seconds, someone needs blood. People all over our Region, though, are relying on volunteer blood donors to help save their lives. You may never know who your donation helps, but it might end up being your loved one, your friend, co-worker or neighbor. You may forget how vital your gift of life is, but each donation can help save up to three lives. You may think your schedule is too busy to donate, but it only takes an hour. That one hour can mean all the difference in the world to a child, a mother, a father, entire families. Need more reasons to give? Here are the Top 10 Reasons to Give Blood:

You will get free juice and cookies.
You will weigh less - one pint less when you leave than when you came in.
It's easy and convenient - it only takes about an hour and you can make an appointment at one of the many Red Cross mobile blood drives.
It's something you can spare - most people have blood to spare... yet, there is still not enough to go around.
Nobody can ask you to do any heavy lifting as long as you have the bandage on. You can wear it for as long as you like. It's your badge of honor.
You will walk a little taller afterwards - you will feel good about yourself.
You will be helping to ensure that blood is there when you or someone close to you may need it. Most people don't think they'll ever need blood, but many do.
It's something you can do on equal footing with the rich and famous - blood is something money can't buy. Only something one person can give to another.
You will be someone's hero - you may give a newborn, a child, a mother or a father, a brother, or a sister another chance at life. In fact, you may help save up to three lives with just one donation.
It's the right thing to do.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

DONOR ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
GENERAL GUIDELINES
To donate blood for transfusion to another person, you must be at least 17 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more, not have donated blood in the last 56 days and be in good, general health.
Good, general health means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure, you must have that condition under control.
Other aspects of each potential donor's health history are discussed as part of the donation process before any blood is collected. Each donor receives a brief examination during which temperature, pulse, blood pressure and blood count (hemoglobin or hematocrit) are measured.
UPDATED ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS

The American Red Cross recently announced positive changes for blood donors, including updated eligibility requirements.

A significant change to Red Cross policy involves tattoos. Anyone who gets a tattoo from a licensed tattoo parlor in the state of Missouri is eligible to donate immediately.

Another major change relates to travel overseas. Donors who were not eligible due to travel overseas in the past may be able to donate again. Thanks to new research about the risk of Mad Cow Disease from eating contaminated beef and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD), the Red Cross has adopted the current FDA recommendations for donor deferral due to travel to the United Kingdom and Europe. Since these recommendations are somewhat less restrictive, deferred donors may be able to begin donating again.

Donors may be able to donate blood again if they have spent less than a cumulative time of:
5 years (used to be 6 months) in Europe beginning January 1, 1980, to the present OR
3 months in the United Kingdom from January 1, 1980 through December 31, 1996 (used to be present day) , OR
6 months as a member of the U.S. military, on or associated with a military base in any of the following areas during the specified timeframes
o From 1980 through 1990- Belgium, the Netherlands (Holland) or Germany
o From 1980 through 1996- Spain, Portugal, Turkey, Italy or Greece.

If anyone believes they now qualify to be a Red Cross blood donor and would like to donate again, they must call the American Red Cross at 800-447-8470, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. through 5 p.m., and ask to speak with a Donor Health Counselor. They must call first to ensure re-eligibility and to be removed from the donor deferral list. Donors who do not call first will not have been removed from the list and will not be eligible to donate again. Staff at blood drives and at permanent donation sites will not be able to confirm re-eligibility or update the donor list. Removing previously ineligible donors from the donor deferral list takes a little time, and the Red Cross thanks donors for their patience in ensuring a safe blood supply for our community.
SPECIFIC GUIDELINES
Note: The list below is not complete. Medical professionals are available at each blood collection center and details of each donor's health and activities are discussed in a confidential setting prior to blood donation. The final determination of eligibility is made at that time. Some donor eligibility rules are specified by the Food and Drug Administration for every blood bank in the country. Other rules are determined by the particular blood bank and may differ between programs. Donor eligibility rules are intended to protect the health and safety of the donor as well as the patient who will receive the transfusion. The criteria listed below are provided as guidelines to assist you in determining whether you may be eligible to be a blood donor. There may be changes to these guidelines as necessary. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by calling 1-800-GIVE-LIFE.
Allergy, Stuffy Nose, Itchy Eyes, Dry Cough
Acceptable as long as you feel well, have no fever and have no problems breathing through your mouth.
Antibiotics
Acceptable if you have completed the last dose of antibiotics for an infection (bacterial or viral) and are symptom free. Acceptable if you are taking antibiotics to prevent an infection, for example, following dental procedures or for acne. Antibiotics for acne do not disqualify you from donating. If you have a temperature above 99.5 F, you may not donate until the fever has passed.
Asthma
Acceptable as long as you are not having difficulty breathing at the time of donation, and you otherwise feel well. Medications for asthma do not disqualify you from donating.
Autoimmune Diseases
You are not eligible to donate if you have some types of generalized autoimmune disease including multiple sclerosis.
Blood Pressure, High
Acceptable as long as your blood pressure is below 180 systolic (first number) and below 100 diastolic (second number) at the time of donation. Medications for high blood pressure do not defer you from donating.
Blood Pressure, Low
Acceptable as long as you feel well when you come to donate. If your blood pressure normally runs low, it may be more difficult for your body to adjust to the volume loss following donation, especially if you are dehydrated. Drinking extra water before and after donation is important.

Blood Transfusion
Wait for 12 months after receiving a blood transfusion from another person in the United States. You may not donate if you received a transfusion since 1980 in the United Kingdom (England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man), Gibraltar or Falkland Islands. This requirement is related to concerns about variant CJD, or 'mad cow' disease.
In some parts of the world, cattle can get an infectious, fatal brain disease called Mad Cow Disease. In these same locations, humans have started to get a new disease called variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease (vCJD) which is also a fatal brain disease. Scientists believe that vCJD is Mad Cow Disease that has somehow transferred to humans, possibly through the food chain.
There is no evidence that vCJD can be transmitted from donors to patients through transfusion. However, nobody knows for certain that this cannot happen, and animal studies indicate that it is theoretically possible. There is no test for vCJD in humans that could be used to screen blood donors and to protect the blood supply. This means that blood programs must take special precautions to keep vCJD out of the blood supply by avoiding collections from those who have been where this disease is found.
At this time, the American Red Cross donor eligibility rules related to vCJD are as follows:
You are not eligible to donate if, since 1980, you:
o Spent a total time of 3 months or more from January 1, 1980 through December 31, 1996 in any of these countries: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, or
o Spent a total time of 5 years or more in any combination of these countries: Albania, Andorra, Austria, Azores, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Channel Islands, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Falkland Islands, Faroe Island, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Greenland, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Madeira Islands, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Netherlands (Holland), Northern Ireland, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Scotland, Slovak Republic (Slovakia), Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, Vatican City, Wales, Yugoslavia (includes Kosovo, Montenegro and Serbia)
o Received insulin derived from cattle (bovine) from any of the countries listed above
o Received a blood transfusion in any of these countries: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands
Cancer - "Hodgkin's Disease"
Acceptable if you have been free of cancer for five years, and five years have passed since the last chemotherapy, radiation or surgical treatment. The same rule applies to cancer recurrences.
If you have had leukemia, lymphoma, “carcinoma-in-situ” or squamous or basal cell skin cancers, you are not eligible to donate.
You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.
Cholesterol, high
Acceptable. Medications to lower the cholesterol level do not disqualify you from donating.
Cold, Flu, Sore Throat
Wait if you have a fever or a productive cough (bringing up phlegm).
Wait if you feel unwell on the day of donation.
Wait until you have completed your last dose of antibiotic treatment for sinus, throat or lung infection.
Dental Procedures
Acceptable after teeth cleaning, scaling, root canal, fillings and tooth extractions as long as there is no infection present.
Wait for three days after having other types of oral surgery, or after treatment for an abscess or infection in the mouth.
Wait two days after finishing antibiotics for a dental infection.
Diabetes mellitus
Acceptable two weeks after starting insulin.
Medications to lower your glucose level do not defer you from donating. If you have received an injection of bovine (beef) insulin made from cattle from the United Kingdom since 1980, you are not eligible to donate. This requirement is related to concerns about variant CJD, or 'mad cow' disease.
Heart Disease
In general, acceptable as long as you have no restrictions on your physical activities, take no medications for heart disease other than aspirin and have no current (within the last six months) heart-related symptoms such as chest pain.
Wait at least six months following an episode of angina.
Wait at least six months following a heart attack.
Wait at least six months after bypass surgery or angioplasty.
If you have a pacemaker, you may donate as long as your pulse is between 50 and 100 beats per minute with no more than a small number of irregular beats, and you meet the other heart disease criteria. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation.
Malaria
Wait three years after completing treatment for malaria. Wait 12 months after returning from a trip to an area where malaria is found. Wait three years after moving to the United States after living in a country where malaria is found.
If you have traveled outside of the United States, your travel destinations will be reviewed to see if you were in a malaria-risk area. It would be most helpful if you came prepared to report the country and city or destinations to which you traveled, as well as the travel dates.
Medications
In almost all cases, medications will not disqualify you as a blood donor. Your eligibility will be based on the reason that the medication was prescribed. As long as the condition is under control and you are healthy, blood donation is usually permitted.
There are a handful of drugs that are of special significance in blood donation. Persons on these drugs have waiting periods following their last dose before they can donate blood:
· Accutane (isoretinoin), Proscar (finasteride), and Propecia (finasteride) - wait four weeks.
· Avodart (dutasteride)-wait six months from the last dose.
· Aspirin, no waiting period for donating blood. However you must wait 36 hours after taking aspirin or any medication containing aspirin before donating platelets by apheresis.
· Chemotherapy-type drugs used for conditions other than cancer are acceptable as long as the underlying condition is not a cause for deferral.
· Coumadin, Heparin or other prescription blood thinners- you should not donate since your blood will not clot normally. If your doctor discontinues your treatment with blood thinners, wait five days before returning to donate.
· Human pituitary-derived growth hormone at any time-you are not eligible to donate blood.
· Lupron used for condition other than cancer-acceptable as long as the underlying condition is not a cause for deferral.
· Plavix-wait 36 hours after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
· Soriatane (acitretin)-wait three years.
· Tegison (etretinate) at any time-you are not eligible to donate blood.
· Ticlid-wait 36 hours after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
If you ever took Tegison (etretinate), you are not eligible to donate blood. If you ever took human pituitary-derived growth hormone, you are not eligible to donate blood. If you take aspirin, you can donate blood. However you must wait 36 hours after taking aspirin or any medication containing aspirin before donating platelets by apheresis. If you take Ticlid or Plavix, wait 36 hours after taking these medications before donating platelets by apheresis. If you are taking prescription blood thinners such as Coumadin or Heparin, you should not donate since your blood will not clot normally. If your doctor discontinues your treatment with blood thinners, wait five days before returning to donate.

ZOMBIES
No zombies will be allowed to donate blood. Nor will members of Zombie Club or anyone who has had sexual relations with a zombie. EVER.

squinty wrote:

Last edited by jamoni on Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:14 pm 

Jamoni,

I donated about 2 1/2 weeks ago at the local St. Charles Red Cross Blood Center off of 5th st. I fall under the 56 day rule for whole blood donations. Also, I just got my hepa/hepb shots, so I don't think I will qualify.

On another note, the Red Cross blood center typically gives out spiff items. Go give blood and you might be given a free t-shirt (I have about 20 such shirts.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:58 pm 

Screw it, I'll sign up and see if they will let me donate.

Jamoni, PM me w/ what you need from me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Right now, all I need from EVERYBODY is to PM me, so I can put your name on the list.

squinty wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Okay, due to scheduling conflicts, we are working on a new date. There will be more info as soon as we get it. In the meantime, try to make some extra blood.

squinty wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Jamoni,

I am going to give blood next week. I have donated over five gallons over the years, so this is nothing new to me.

I will let you know how it goes!

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:56 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

BUMP
We are still trying to line up a time slot. Looks to be January or February at this point.

squinty wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:45 pm 

My 56 days are up so I'm getting stuck this Friday. That'll be 9 pints for the ARC for me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:55 pm 

I called the number you provided to be reinstated to give blood, not realizing it was a MO only number. The lady on the phone was extremely helpful, and took down all of my info and called the VA branch for me. I am ready to go.

The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:01 pm 

Bump.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:13 am 

Why are people from Luxembourg not allowed to donate blood?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:21 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Same as the rest of Europe: Bad controls on meat production leading to too many cases of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:56 pm 

I love that people are donating blood! It's an amazing thing to do, and it really does save lives. I'm not allowed to donate blood, or I'd be there giving as much as I could. Thank you to everyone who donates!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 pm 

Giving blood on my birthday this year :D. Not with the Red Cross, but with CBCC.

REALLY nice set up with Community Blood Centers of the Carolinas. They're setting a truck up at work Thursday(5 Jul 2012),providing us with a light lunch, and making some donation for the troops.* Also since I have O+ blood, I get a T-Shirt. It's a multi-win situation for me. 60 people signed up to donate a pint, and there's usually a handful of people who don't sign up, but show out anyways. Lots of lives saved hopefully.

*-This summer, please join CBCC as we show our support for the military and their families. When you donate blood between May 1 and July 31, 2012, CBCC will make a contribution to charities that help wounded veterans. With each donation, you can be a hero to a local patient and show a hero how much you appreciate their service.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:36 pm 

Don't know how to give this more emphasis but blood donations are at a 15 year low.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/07 ... -says?lite

I am not allowed to give blood any more but the wife gives pretty regularly. They called her twice last week and she went on in. If you have the opportunity please donate.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:22 pm 

Every person that ever lived in Europe for I believe 3 years, can't donate blood, so if they would remove this limitation, they would have a lot more blood donations.
So in Germany I was donating blood but here they don't want it, so figure.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:43 am 

LBB wrote:
Every person that ever lived in Europe for I believe 3 years, can't donate blood, so if they would remove this limitation, they would have a lot more blood donations.
So in Germany I was donating blood but here they don't want it, so figure.

I am in that boat too.

My wife donated pretty regularly (about 5-6 times a year) until she was run over.

After the accident she had to take five units of blood. Something to consider.