It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:17 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Okay, we're donating blood and money. We're giving supplies to relief agencies that request them, some of our members are going in with volunteer organizations, military units, police and fire depts...
WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO?
I'm racking my brain to think of what is needed. What we can do from a distance. I'd like some constructive ideas about this.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:20 pm 

jamoni wrote:
Okay, we're donating blood and money. We're giving supplies to relief agencies that request them, some of our members are going in with volunteer organizations, military units, police and fire depts...
WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO?
I'm racking my brain to think of what is needed. What we can do from a distance. I'd like some constructive ideas about this.

We need to put you in office, is what we should do.

The situation calls for creative, outside-the-box thinking.

Hats off to you, jamoni

C'est la (un)vie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:47 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

If any of our members have skills to help rebuild the infrastructure, I'm sure they'll be needing it, shortly.

I'm almost positive that when the water is finally cleared, my company may send some of us down to assist in rebuilding the phone network. It's what they've traditionally done in situations like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:51 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The things I'm coming up with are long term.
Housing is going to be a big issue, and relocation. The economic impact of all this is going to be tremendous.
CARS. Jesus, how many thousands of cars were destroyed? Even the people who still have jobs will have no way to get to them.
Winter clothing. How many people are moving north with nothing but the clothes on their backs?
SHOES. I keep thinking how many people I've seen on the news barefoot.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

What about something like petioning hotels/motels to open up their vacant rooms to these people?

If enough of us write letters to the papers in the appropriate areas, maybe it would garner enough local support to pressure those businesses to help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:51 am 

There are a number of collection points for clothing items, and personal items such as tooth paste, deodorant, toilet paper etc...

I think if each of us, when we go shopping, would buy a few extra of these items and drop them in the collection points this would make a HUGE collective effort.

We cal all also continue to donate money. Im sure Kyle wouldnt mind sending a check out monthly from our continued donations. If each of us would drop 15 bucks in the kitty every month this does indeed add up.

Also since at least a portion of the proceeds got to charity for store purchases I'd say keep ordering those tee shirts, stickers, and patches guys!

Of course we have already talked about blood drives. We have a blood mobile coming to work in a few days, of course I'll be giving my share of the bearish red stuff. 8)

As a nation we can conserve fuel as much as we possibly can. The less burden we put on our already over burdened fuel resources the better.

We can all go through our closests and see what clothing we dont wear anymore... it may be nothing but closet space to us, but it would be very useful to someone who has lost everything and has only rags to wear. These items should be dropped off to the Salvation Army.

You can also volunteer with the Red Cross and you dont have to necessarily leave the state... you can work at a local collection point where you are.

I keep hearing over and over again from FEMA and the Red Cross that the biggest thing they need right now is MONEY.

IF however you have any kind of specialized equipment and/or skill (they really need chopper and fixed wing aircraft pilots right now) please PM me and I will give you my number at FEMA to call. I can submit your name, phone number, and adderss, and skill/equipment to the appropriate people. Right now what is really needed is pilots who own aircraft.

Also needed soon will be those who own, and can use/drive/operate heavy equipment such as bulldozers and backhoes, and front end loaders.

Keep in mind you would need to be able to bring your own equipment and be willing to donate your time/servies for an exended period of time.

You can also submit price quotes if you are willing to be hired by FEMA for relief and reconstruction efforts. You dont have to necessarily DONATE your professional skills and equipment.

Post subject: Fundraiser
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:34 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Howdy all,

I own a poker company in St Louis (you know, the annoying free-poker at bars thing!!) I have been trying to set up a fundraiser for Katrina...I have the equipment, the man power, and locations to hold up to 250 people. I need someone to help w/ getting the word out and helping to decide the right direction for the money to go. In the past we have made a few thousand bucks for local charities.

I think ZS would be the right organization to pair up with for this...you keep yourself up to date on what's going on and see the broader scope. I hate that this is my first post, as I've been lurking for months but the time seemed right!!

Let me know what you think !!!

Thanks,
Kristan
thepokerpubstl@sbcglobal.net

Post subject: Re: Fundraiser
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:15 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

iloveash wrote:
Howdy all,

I own a poker company in St Louis (you know, the annoying free-poker at bars thing!!) I have been trying to set up a fundraiser for Katrina...I have the equipment, the man power, and locations to hold up to 250 people. I need someone to help w/ getting the word out and helping to decide the right direction for the money to go. In the past we have made a few thousand bucks for local charities.

I think ZS would be the right organization to pair up with for this...you keep yourself up to date on what's going on and see the broader scope. I hate that this is my first post, as I've been lurking for months but the time seemed right!!

Let me know what you think !!!

Thanks,
Kristan
thepokerpubstl@sbcglobal.net

We would love to work with you. I'll get the guys and girls together and we'll find a time to meet up and discuss more in detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:46 am 

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but now since there are evacuees all over the place with nothing to do but wait, has anyone thought of board games, cards, videos, comforts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:30 am 

I'm here, with my new friends starting a donation relief supply, a lot of our teachers and faculty members, and a shitload of students and citizens of the airbase (its okinawa, thats a HUGE population) are donating school supplies, canned goods/water, some medical supplies (band aids, iodine, antiseptic, asprin, neosperin, all sorts)

I say, start your individual volunteer team in your community, make ads for volunteers willing to go to the new orleans, organize!

Post subject: It was the missed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:04 pm 
BANNED

I didn't tell my poor dad I wasn't being paid. He would not have understood, and I did not want to try to explain something that I did not yet understand myself.
For three more weeks, Mike and I worked for three hours, every Saturday, for nothing. The work didn't bother me, and the routine got easier. It was the missed baseball games and not being able to afford to buy a few comic books that got to me.
Rich dad stopped by at noon on the third week. We heard his truck pull up in the parking lot and sputter when the engine was turned off. He entered the store and greeted Mrs. Martin with a hug. After finding out how things were going in the store, he reached into the ice-cream freezer, pulled out two bars, paid for them, and signalled to Mike and me.
"Let's go for a walk boys."
"So is there an answer?" asked Mike.[url=http://www.petshopping.net/dog-clothing/]dog clothing[/url],
"Yes," said rich dad. [url=http://www.petshopping.net/wholesale-dog-clothes/]dog clothes wholesale[/url] "Learn to use your emotions to think, not think with your emotions. When you boys mastered your emotions, first by agreeing to work for free,[url=http://www.petshopping.net/dog-apparel/]dog apparel[/url], I knew there was hope. When you again resisted your emotions when I tempted you with more money, [url=http://www.petshopping.net/pet-clothes/]pet clothes[/url], you were again learning to think in spite of being emotionally charged. [url=http://www.petshopping.net/pet-clothing/]pet clothing[/url], That's the first step."
"Why is that step so important" I asked.
We crossed the street, dodging a few cars, and walked across a large grassy field, where a few adults were playing softball. Sitting down at a remote picnic table, he handed Mike and me the ice-cream bars.
"How's it going boys?"
"OK," Mike said.
I nodded in agreement.
"Learn anything yet?" rich dad asked.
Mike and I looked at each other, shrugged our shoulders and shook our heads in unison.
Avoiding One of Life's Biggest Traps

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:39 pm 

I guess there really isn't a expiration (necro) date on spam.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:12 am 

OhioMe wrote:
I guess there really isn't a expiration (necro) date on spam.

I can't say specifically for SPAM but for canned meats in general I would guess 10-14 years. I recently ate some 10 year old corned beef. I ate about half of a 12oz can. Within about 2-3 hours I was running to the can and taking a couple swigs of Peptol Bizmol. After that I was scared to fart for the next 2 days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:36 pm 

Well, since this got necro'ed anyhow... Thanks for helping us out after the storm. Unless you've been through this sort of thing, you don't know how much it can mean.