It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Virtual Blood Drive
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:32 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

I know it's not realy possible for us to get together as a group to do a blood drive since we span all over the place. Instead how about we all go out and donate on our own. Then, post up the location you donated at and put up a picture of a sticker you recieved from them or whatever other proof you might have to show us you were there.

Please keep the conversations in other threads. This is just a place to show off your charity. :)

Maybe this will encourage others to go out and do it as well.

Here are links to a few places who want your blood:
http://www.americanredcrossblood.org/
http://www.aabb.org/Locator/Locator.asp

Oh, if you live in St. Louis we are trying to organize a blood drive. More info on that soon.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:54 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

This is one glass of kool-aide I just cant follow you on.

I have read to much over the years on how the actual collector organizations operate, and i just dont feel comfortable supporting them.

I Survived Wintergeddon 06!!
Fleet# ZS 0040

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:15 pm 

Well I donated blood at the Albany, GA branch of the Red Cross but I didn't get a sticker....

That was probably because they were more concerned with keeping me from passing out than giving me a sticker. :lol: :lol:

I do feel pretty much the same way as Ashnack about those orginazations that's why I don't think I could give money to them but giving blood can't hurt ya know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm going to be giving blood at the hostpital, but it's for my wife's operation, we're both O+, so if something goe's wrong during her op. she'll have bloog guaranteed to be there for her, from me. Does that count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:32 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Ashnack wrote:
This is one glass of kool-aide I just cant follow you on.

I have read to much over the years on how the actual collector organizations operate, and i just dont feel comfortable supporting them.

Heh. Kool-aid. :)

Dude, I don't care HOW people give blood. I hold no allegiance to any charity group (besides ZS). They just need to get it out there ASAP. What do you suggest? Share them. That's what this thread is for.

I've heard plenty of horror stories myself but blood is needed one way or the other. Give directly to the hospital if you guys can. That's probably the best option. I only mentioned those donor collecting groups because they make it easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:55 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Aye, i like hospitals as well as charities because they keep it in immediate supply for patients who are bleeding out, which in my midn increases the probability of it going to someone sooner. I want to give allot because i'm O+ which means my blood can be given to anyone alive and their system will accept it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:26 am 
what are the rules for donating blood? isn't there a part in it that says you can't give blood if you've had a tattoo (and maybe piercing) within the last 6 months... or is it 12 months? And then... theres a lot more, too... let me see if I can look those up.. I know I've cleared 6 months for my last tattoo but I'm not sure about a year, yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:31 am 
GENERAL GUIDELINES
To give blood for transfusion to another person, you must be healthy, be at least 17 years old or 16 years old if allowed by state law, weigh at least 110 pounds, and not have donated blood in the last 8 weeks (56 days). "Healthy" means that you feel well and can perform normal activities. If you have a chronic condition such as diabetes or high blood pressure, "healthy" also means that you are being treated and the condition is under control.

WHO SHOULD NOT GIVE BLOOD
You should not give blood if you have:

had a tattoo within the last 12 months
ever had Creuzfeldt-Jakob Disease, or if any blood relative (parent, grandparent, sibling, aunt, uncle, or child) has or has had it, or been told that your family is at risk for Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
ever received a dura mater (or brain covering) transplant during head or brain surgery
received an injection since 1980 of bovine (beef) insulin made from cattle in the United Kingdom
had hepatitis on or after the age of 11
had malaria in the past 3 years
Since 1980, live in the United Kingdom for a total time that adds up to 3 months, or live in Europe for a total time that adds up to 6 months
been held in a correctional facility (including jail, prison, or detention center) for more than 72 straight hours in the last 12 months
had or been treated for syphilis or gonorrhea or tested positive for syphilis in the last 12 months
been raped in the last 12 months
taken (snorted) cocaine or any other street drug through your nose in the last 12 months
AIDS or one of its symptoms, including —
unexplained weight loss (10 pounds or more in less than 2 months)
night sweats
blue or purple spots on or under the skin
long-lasting white spots or unusual sores in your mouth
lumps in your neck, armpits, or groin, lasting longer than one month
diarrhea lasting longer than one month
persistent cough and shortness of breath, or
fever higher than 99°F lasting more than 10 days
done something that puts you at risk for becoming infected with HIV, the virus that cause AIDS.
You are at risk for getting infected if you have:

taken illegal or non-prescription drugs by needle, even once
taken clotting factor concentrates for a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia
tested positive for any AIDS virus
been given money or drugs for sex, since 1977
had a sexual partner who puts you at risk for AIDS infection. This means:
you have had sex in the last 12 months with someone who is at risk for being infected with the AIDS virus (described above)
if you are a male, had sex even once with another male since 1977; or within the last 12 months, given a female money or drugs to have sex with you, or
if you are a female, within the last 12 months, given anyone money or drugs to have sex with you; or had a male sex partner who had sex with another male even once since 1977
been born in, or lived in, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Niger, or Nigeria since 1977.
since 1977, received a blood transfusion or medical treatment with a blood product in any of these countries, or
had sex with anyone who, since 1977, was born in or lived in any of these countries.
Tell the interviewer
You should tell the interviewer if you:

aren't feeling well
are running a fever
have traveled to Cancun, Cozumel, or any other areas in Mexico, or taken a Caribbean cruise in the past 12 months.
You will be asked some follow-up questions to determine whether you can donate blood.

Ineligible donors
We maintain a confidential list of people who may be at risk for spreading transfusion-transmitted diseases. When required, we report donor information, including test results, to health departments, military medical commands, and regulatory agencies. Donation information may also be used confidentially for medical studies.

alright! there they are, I answered my own question. All of that is from www.redcross.org. Now I remember my problem from when I tried to donate when this Red Cross 'bus' was in Chesterfield Valley by my work one day, we hadn't even gotten to the tattoo question part yet, but I weigh under 110lbs..... not by much but it was actually enough that they wouldn't let me do it. I think that website also says places that you can go to donate blood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:58 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

I never understood this. It doesn't make any logical sense:
gloomy_nymph wrote:
if you are a male, had sex even once with another male since 1977;

I've never heard of any serious scientific evidence that proves this has any bearing in the real world. Politics. Dumb.

Is this just a Red Cross thing or do other Blood banks have this requirement on their donors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:20 pm 
kyle -->

that was under the section of activites that put you at risk for getting aids, hiv, and other sexually transmitted diseases that make your blood unallowed to donate. i'm sure every blood donating organization does have a policy that you cannot have any diseases if you want to donate blood. the fact that they list that on there isnt a rule so to say.... its just an example of exibitting behavior in a certain time period that would put you at risk to certain diseases....

the reason, im sure you are away of this but thats okay..., they say that time period is because that was when there was a major outbreak of aids among the homosexual american male population (this is true and because of a lot of aspects of it all...); of course this gradually spread to everyone (hetero, male, female..) else, but there was a very dramatic outbreak that did start among gay men durring that time. i'm sure the red cross doesnt care about what your sexual history or sexual preference is at all, but i do think that if you haven't been tested and you tell them that you had sex when, with, and how in a way that would put you at risk of having the diseases, they would want your blood to be tested one way or another before they can accept it. simply saying that you had sex with a bunch of men in the 70's won't allow them to reject you if you dont have diseases, that would be mean and... well mean and not right.

whether you are donating blood or doing whatever, that kind of activity (and actually everything they listed under 'risk' behavior) is a generic guideline.... which really does include a lot of places, i wish i could think of some examples for you. its kind of stereotypic and uneccissary but in reality the risk is there for various reasons when people engage in certain activites............................ i go to a methadone clinic for my own personal vices here in stl just about everyday for a while now, but when i started i did have to go through a number of horrible surveys on my sexual and nonsexual past...... the counsiler assigned to me asked me just about every question there is about my involvement in activities that would constitute me as 'at risk.' i also got a lot of free, but unwanted, bloodwork done.... fun.

eh anyways.... summary: they just want to know if maybe you have diseases so they dont waste your and their time donating bad blood, and they ask you about behaviors that would put you at risk for those kind of things, and they are justified in asking them............. but they most certainly cannot discriminate because of your answer as long as you're clean.. well even if you're dirty, they just cant take your blood, they still should be nice..........................................

the end

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:11 am 

Kyle,

Donated about a week and a half ago w/ Red Cross at St. Charles FYI.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:24 pm 

kyle wrote:
gloomy_nymph wrote:

.....Is this just a Red Cross thing or do other Blood banks have this requirement on their donors?

I do most of my donating through the Red Cross. But I have also donated through the Sioux Valley BloodMobile and the Sioux Falls Blood Bank, and they ask the same question.

I donated today! The Red Cross had a blood drive today at the United Methodist Church here in Sheldon. I was surprised to see they offer beef jerkey in the canteen now. I'm just 2 donations away from my 3 gallon pin. I can't post photos, but they gave me a red and white sticker that says "Be nice to me, I gave blood today."
SO BE NICE!!

DocSimon aka The Pie Army Field Marshall wrote:
..PIE IS FOREVER....POWER TO THE PIE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:36 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

gloomy_nymph wrote:
kyle -->

that was under the section of activites that put you at risk for getting aids, hiv, and other sexually transmitted diseases that make your blood unallowed to donate.

Gay men are no more likely to have HIV than any heterosexual. I still don't see the logic.

I have a friend who does quality testing for the Red Cross and even she admits that it's a crock.

If they want to be neutral it should be worded like "Have you ever had sex after 1977 while unprotected with somene who you did not have prior proof that they where HIV negative." or something. There is absolutely no reason to believe an outbreak of HIV in this country had anything at all to do with anyones sexuality. It had everything to do with safe sexual practices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:41 pm 

gloomy_nymph wrote:
i'm sure the red cross doesnt care about what your sexual history or sexual preference is at all, but i do think that if you haven't been tested and you tell them that you had sex when, with, and how in a way that would put you at risk of having the diseases, they would want your blood to be tested one way or another before they can accept it. simply saying that you had sex with a bunch of men in the 70's won't allow them to reject you if you dont have diseases, that would be mean and... well mean and not right.

eh anyways.... summary: they just want to know if maybe you have diseases so they dont waste your and their time donating bad blood, and they ask you about behaviors that would put you at risk for those kind of things, and they are justified in asking them............. but they most certainly cannot discriminate because of your answer as long as you're clean.. well even if you're dirty, they just cant take your blood, they still should be nice..........................................
the end

I am forever banned from donating blood. My name and information has been submitted to the National Red Cross database. I am clean, healthy, and disease free... and I have records to prove this.
However, the Red Cross would not even draw my blood to test because I answered "yes" to ONE question. I have an ex-boyfriend who was born in the Republic of Congo in 1977 and lived there until the age of 5. He is also clean, healthy, and disease free.
But, I am considered an ineligible donor because of my association with him.
I have contacted the Red Cross to ask when I could submit to testing to prove my health, and ultimately remove my name from their ineligible list. I was told that my ineligibility is for life. They did not care that I have medical records that prove my health. They would not take my blood to be tested before a possible acceptance. They only cared that I answered "Yes" to this question.

I feel so stigmatized because of this.
Any maybe it is too much information to share with you guys.
But I wanted to shed light on how strict the process can be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I had some of the best luck today. Instead of driiving 30 miles North to the nearest red cross office, they came to my campus and I was able to donate free of gas cost or anything like i had been planning, heres my trophy and my form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:05 pm 

kyle wrote:
I never understood this. It doesn't make any logical sense:
gloomy_nymph wrote:

I've never heard of any serious scientific evidence that proves this has any bearing in the real world. Politics. Dumb.

Is this just a Red Cross thing or do other Blood banks have this requirement on their donors?

ZOMG!!1!! Teh blood gits in u an u ketch teh gei!1!!one!

Seriously, the level of politics getting in the way of good being done here is rediculous. Reminds me of when I worked at a deli, and we couldn't give leftover rolls to a homeless shelter, because a local Burger King was giving away old hamburgers, someone got sick, and sued.

I survived the Spring, Fall and Winter NorthEast (PA) Shoot/Gatherings!! It doesn't seem so tough anymore!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:27 pm 

I only give blood at hospitals. For all i know, the other organisations could be hoarding blood to sell to the vampires! :shock:

Vampire wrote:
Norway is great. Just sit on a deserted mountaintop, and if a zombie happens to stumble upon you trow rocks at him until he rolls all the way down. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:47 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mad_Maxx wrote:
I only give blood at hospitals. For all i know, the other organisations could be hoarding blood to sell to the vampires! :shock:

Everyone knows there's no such thing as VAMPIRES. :roll:

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:27 pm 

I can't donate because I've had two tats in the past 6 months, and I don't think I can wait a whole damn year to get another one. I guess they won't get my blood, even though I'm a willing donor until I'm content with my tat count for a year. I really don't see the big deal about it. I mean, I go to a professional artist with all the right gear (individualy sealed needles, the steam maching thing, so on and so forth).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:39 pm 

I'm up to 9 pints for the ARC and am going back Friday to try my hand at donating platelets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:05 pm 

It was a little disconcerting for my old highschool to have blood drives in the cafeteria. I know it's all controlled, but the idea....

I might donate my first unit of blood on the 17th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Followup; The red cross sent me a nifty little credit card looking thing that has my blood type, name, units donated and region donated in on it, its a donor ID card, i love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:25 am 

Donated platlets only today. The entire process took about 50 minutes.

Basically you go in, they hook you up to a machine that draws a small amount of blood, spins it and adds an anti-coagulant(sp) and then sticks it back in your arm.

The process was virtually painless and the plus side is, they gave me free food/drink :)

On a more serious note, the nurse noted there are patients such as kemotherapy and transplant patients that are waiting for platelet/plasma supplies to build up. She noted one kemotherapy patient required over 100 units of platlets during the course of her treatment. To put that in perspective, that's 100 individual donations.

IMO if you're not donating blood, yet you have no restrictions for doing so, you're wasting a valuable resource.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:31 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Donated blood again about a week ago and forgot to post, got another free shirt with an elf on it holding a bundle of cookies that says "I donate for the cookies". My kind of casualwear. Thats 6 lives saved :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next