It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 pm 

Truck taking medics into Petit-Goave yesterday was stopped for a while: an old guy shuffles out of the woods, taps on the window, says "water?" - the guide shakes his head and they drive on. Fifty yards later the truck stops again, the old guy shuffles up to it, says "water?" again and holds up a cup for the relief crew.

Good people are everywhere and they outnumber asshats. :)

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 pm 

As Bush said, "Just send your cash." Or at least don't show up in Haiti without thinking to bring a few bottles of water for yourself.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34958965/ns ... arthquake/

JamesCannon wrote:
Yes, well there's the right way and wrong way to exercise, and the wrong way can lead to injury and/or damage. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:51 am 

I was supprised to hear so many people were killed in that earthquake, i didnt think there were any buildings in Haiti to knock over. XD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:32 am 

Thanks to everyone who has donated - I don't have the money right now to do so, but I'm hoping to go for a week through my hospital. Their first crew is going... today, actually, and we're going to start weekly rotations. I'll post up how it goes here, unless there's another thread for Haiti experiences.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

johnwiseman wrote:
I really dont want to sound mean, But I would find it easier to care about anything in Haiti If I though for one second that even one dollar had come from Haiti to help with any of our disasters. Instead we have sent billions of dollars there over the years and not one bit of progress has been made to show for any of our hard work and good intention. As far as I am concearned they must sleep in the bed they have made for themselves.

If you read any of the colonial history of that area, you will quickly see that Haiti has never had a chance to make a bed for themselves. The situation is based in a long history of colonialism and oppressive regimes (supported by certain agencies within our own government) that have left the average Haitian in the state that many people are just coming to realize.

Hopefully, this tragedy will turn some things around and they will get some actual help in building some infrastructure instead of being exploited once again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:49 pm 

I found another way to help. It's free too, but involves some effort. Now I ain't positive it's a true site, but it does have support from The Berkman Center for Internet and Society and the United Nations World Food Programme. You answers questions from any subject you choose (chemistry, algebra, vocaulary, languages, etc.) and for each question you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated. You don't get rice taken away for wrong answers and it's honestly kinda fun.

If anyone want to try it out, go to http://freerice.com/

Hope this is okay..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:40 pm 

Zombie Squad has done a great job by helping the peoples of the Haiti who has suffered a lot from the earthquake. I will do whatever I can to help the peoples from this disaster.