It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:43 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

As you all know, a quake measured at 7.0 on the Richter scale hit Haiti this week.

The hearts of the ZS community go out to the victims and the aid workers struggling through this disaster. As the news rolls in we're finding more and more about how horrible the catastrophe is and how painful the conditions are for those trying to survive through it.

We have a few threads in here with additional information:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57776
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57727

I know times are tough for all of us right now but it's no where near as tough as they are for the Haitian people. PLEASE donate what you can. They need our help!

Many of you have sent us emails and messages asking if ZS is going to host a charity drive for this disaster. Unfortunately, we have a charity drive going on at the moment ( viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56796 ) and we do not have the resources to run a second drive concurrently.

However, Red Cross and Save the Children are two of the major charities responding and both are listed as options for our drive. Due to the recent disaster, if you have already donated to the drive and you wish to change your vote, drop us an email to charity@zombiehunters.org and let me know who you are and how you want your vote changed.

Where ever you decide to donate, please investigate before you give. There are a lot of of scam artists out there who like to use this opportunity to take advantage of the selflessness of others.

Places to donate:

American Red Cross
Online: http://www.redcrossstl.org
Telephone: Call 314-516-2782 or 314-516-2800
Text message: Text the word “HAITI” to 90999, and a $10 donation will be given to the Red Cross payable on your next mobile bill.

Food for the Poor Haiti Earthquake Relief
Online: http://www.foodforthepoor.org
Telephone: 954-427-2222

Mail: 6401 Lyons Road, Coconut Creek, Florida 33073
World Vision Haiti Earthquake Relief
Online: http://www.worldvision.org
Telephone: 866-280-6587

UNICEF Haiti Earthquake Relief
Online: http://www.unicefusa.org/haitiquake
Telephone: 800-4UNICEF

Wyclef Jean's foundation, Yele Haiti.
Online: http://www.yele.org
Text message: Text "Yele" to 501501 and $5 will be charged to your phone bill and go toward Hatian relief projects.
Telephone: 212-352-0552

Samaritan’s Purse Haiti Earthquake Relief
Online: http://samaritanspurse.org
Telephone: 800-528-1980

International Rescue Committee
Online: http://TheIRC.org
Telephone: 877-REFUGEE

Catholic Relief Services
Online: http://CRS.org
Telephone: 800-736-3467

Episcopal Relief & Development
Online: http://www.er-d.org
Telephone: 1-800-334-7626, ext. 5129

American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
Online: http://www.jdc.org

People trying to locate U.S. citizens living or traveling in Haiti should contact the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at 1-888-407-4747 or 202-647-5225.

I don't have the number to inquire about citizens of other countries. Please share any info in here if you have it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:06 pm 

I know I would be willing to see if we can get something going as a chapter. We can further discuss it the meeting this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:58 pm 

Here is a link to donate:

https://secure.crs.org/site/Donation2?d ... tion=form1

It's through CRS, which is on the ground already and directly helping the people. USAID has given them money, and they've already pledged $5 million of their own funds. They're a good group.

Mysty wrote:
I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Here's another relief organization that runs several orphanages in Haiti, and had people there during the quake. FWIW, they have been running the orphanages there since 1986, so they are not any "Johnny come latelys".

http://www.harvestinternational.org/

ETA- Thanks Kyle!

RIP Hk33k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:42 pm 

Another organization is Shelterbox USA (the home organization is British). One Shelterbox contains the following:

Quote:
• One 49 gallon box (The Shelterbox) initially the container for delivery of the materials listed below. Once delivered, can be used as water tank, food store, cot, table, etc.

• One ten-person tent, including two fabric interior privacy partitions, outer fly-sheet and repair kit. These tents are considered ‘winter suitable’ by international relief standards.

• Vinyl insulated sleeping mats and lightweight thermal blankets. More compact than sleeping bags, these mats and blankets have multiple uses. The blanket can also be fashioned to catch water, as a tarp, etc. while the mat also serves as a ground ‘table’ for meals, or tent rugs.

• One pack of 180 water purification tablets or a water purification kit; and one 5 gallon flat-pack water container (Each tablet will purify a full container of water providing 1,800 gallons of clean drinking water which should be sufficient for a family of ten for up to three months).

• Two 2.1 gallon, collapsible, plastic water carriers.

• One collapsible trenching shovel

• Rope, 164 foot

• Repellant-treated mosquito netting

• Ten PVC Ponchos/ ten HD plastic bags

• Tool kit in canvas bag: hachet, jack-knife, screwdriver, hammer, hoe head etc.

• Multi-fueled cook stove

• Eating utensils: enamel plates/cups

• Children's activity kit-simple school supplies, stickers and coloring book

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:35 pm 

Supplies are good, but organizations with people on the ground (CRS, World Vision, etc) are better- supplies can be used in any fashion by anyone (including a corrupt government). If you have people directing the aid, it's much more likely to get to those truly in need (and not the cronies).

Mysty wrote:
I do pity sissy as she has been out there a long time with that gaping hole in her leg, but until 'chocolate' tastes good again, I think Sissy's gonna be waiting a bit lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:59 pm 

Apparently, and I haven't confirmed this myself, but
Quote:
UPS is shipping anything under 50lbs for free to Haiti. You can send food, clothes, shoes...American Airlines is taking doctors and nurses to Haiti for free. Please call 212-697-9767. Red Cross needs Creole speaking volunteers for 24 hr phone bank. Call Mr Wilfred @ 305-776-6900."

Someone of my facebook posted that, and I thought I'd share it, in case it's true.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:55 am 

Jesus, I really wish I could do more.

I already donated a sizable sum to the Salvation Army, and earmarked it for the Haiti relief effort...But damn...I just wish I could afford to donate the same amount to every charity that's helping, and go volunteer myself.

Unfortunately, I doubt I have any critical skills, at this stage, and would just be more unskilled labor that needed to be housed and fed.

Fuck, man...I really need to pursue some sort of medical profession.

Here's a huge list of charities from Fox News, if you're still having trouble picking one or ones to donate to.

Foxnews.com wrote:
Numerous organizations are mobilizing to lend a hand in the devastating aftermath of Tuesday's earthquake in Haiti.

The U.S. Dept of State's Web site suggests texting 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts. As of Friday morning, Americans have "texted" more than $8 million for Haiti relief.

Click here to learn a couple of simple, safe ways to donate to the cause, or contact one of the following well-established charities that are collecting donations for relief efforts.

Authorities caution people to beware of online scammers.

Action Against Hunger: ACF International has mobilized an emergency response following the earthquake that devastated the city of Port-au-Prince. ACF teams on the ground have begun to carry out rapid evaluations across the city, while additional support, equipment, and materials — including water treatment supplies, emergency vehicles, and communications equipment — are en route from ACF’s bases in Gonaives.

ActionAid: ActionAid asks for donations for its relief efforts. ActionAid has been working in Haiti since 1996 and is deploying an emergency team to deliver clean water, shelter and goods like blankets and soap.

ADRA: ADRA is launching an initial response worth $85,000 to meet the immediate needs of survivors. According to an initial assessment, the immediate needs include water purification supplies, food, temporary shelter materials, hygiene kits, and medical assistance.

American Red Cross: The American Red Cross has pledged an initial $200,000 to assist communities impacted by the earthquake in Haiti, and is prepared to take further action as local responders assess the situation.

American Friends Services Committee: Accepting financial aid only at this time. Funds will go to immediate material needs and to help Haitians themselves rebuild their communities.

AME-SADA: AME-SADA is currently assessing the situation in Haiti and will provide humanitarian relief and care on site through their system of local clinics and micro credit operations.

Americares: Specializes in immediate disaster relief

American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee: The world’s largest Jewish humanitarian assistance organization is collecting funds for relief efforts and working with partners on the ground in Haiti.

American Jewish World Service: Donations will enable AJWS's network of grantees in Haiti to meet the urgent needs of the population based on real-time, on-the-ground assessments.

Catholic Relief Services: Donations will go to help Haiti victims, who are still recovering from the deadly 2008 hurricanes.

CARE: CARE donations will go to deliver emergency aid to victims of the impoverished nation's capital city.

CONCERN Worldwide: Concern Worlwide US calls on the public for urgent support to allow the agency to provide food, water, shelter and medicine as the immediate priority for those that have survived the catastrophe.

Direct Relief International: Direct Relief’s response efforts are fast, involve local partners, and are coordinated with other international organizations and governmental authorities to ensure the most efficient use of resources.

Food for the Hungry: FH's operational focus in Haiti is HIV/AIDS and Child/Maternal health, and we will be looking to respond in these areas as well as other areas of need.

Giving Children Hope: Giving Children Hope is talking with partners in Haiti, determining the greatest needs of the earthquake victims.

Habitat for Humanity: Habitat for Humanity International is addressing shelter solutions for low-income families affected by the earthquake. Habitat’s ability to respond effectively to this disaster will require support from donors, volunteers, corporate partners and other community organizations.

Hands On Disaster Response: Hands On Disaster Response (HODR) is returning to Haiti after a 2008-2009 hurricane response project, to determine how and where the organization's main resource of volunteers would be most effective in the response and recovery efforts.

Handicap International: Already present in Haiti, Handicap International reacted rapidly to the earthquake, which hit the country Tuesday night. The association released $217,657 in funding Wednesday and will provide support for the team.

International Medical Corps: International Medical Corps is deploying an Emergency Response Team to Haiti.

International Relief Teams: International Relief Teams (IRT) is appealing for cash donations to help the victims of the powerful 7.0 magnitude earthquake that struck near the capital city of Port-au-Prince.

The International Rescue Committee: The International Rescue Committee is deploying its Emergency Response Team to Haiti to deliver urgent assistance to earthquake survivors and help overwhelmed local aid. They’ll be focusing on critical medical, water and sanitation assistance.

Islamic Relief: Islamic Relief USA has launched a $1 million appeal for the victims of the quake, and is coordinating a massive shipment of much-needed aid to the island nation.

Lutheran World Relief: Lutheran World Relief is accepting donations to provide life-saving assistance in response to the earthquake in Haiti. Details of the emergency response will made available as the organization learns more about the immediate needs on the ground.

Operation USA: Operation USA is appealing for donations of funds from the public and corporate donations in bulk of health care materials, water purification supplies and food supplements which it will ship to the region from its base in the Port of Los Angeles.

Operation Blessing: Operation Blessing’s Haiti National Director, Eric Lotz, is on-the-ground making first responder assessments and disaster relief teams are mobilizing to bring emergency relief to victims.

Oxfam: Oxfam has long experience in Haiti, and we're rushing in teams from around the region to respond to the situation where our assistance is most needed.

PIH: Has had longstanding aid relationship with Haiti

Salvation Army: The Salvation Army is currently mobilizing personnel and supplies to assist in the relief effort in Haiti, following the severe earthquake that struck Tuesday. The Salvation Army has already dedicated $50,000 in direct aid to the country, and it is in need of additional donations.

Samaritan's Purse: Samaritan’s Purse is responding to the earthquake that devastated Haiti by providing critically needed assistance, including water, temporary shelter, blankets, hygiene kits, medical aid, and other essentials.

Save the Children: Donations to Save the Children will help the charity provide urgently needed medical attention, safe drinking water, and other necessities.

Search Dog Foundation: Strengthen disaster response by recruiting rescued dogs and partnering them with firefighters and other first responders to find people buried alive in the wreckage of disasters.

Stop Hunger Now: Stop Hunger Now will be coordinating relief efforts to our partners in Haiti by organizing shipments of meals and financial support.

UNICEF USA: Donations to UNICEF will go to children, the most vulnerable population in any natural disaster.

United Way Worldwide: Gifts to the Fund support long-term recovery efforts to rebuild lives and infrastructure devastated by disaster and to address educational, financial and health-related challenges.

World Concern: Donate to Haiti relief efforts.

World Food Programme: WFP is mobilising all available resources to bring urgently needed food assistance to thousands of people affected by the devastating earthquake which hit the Caribbean island of Haiti.

World Vision:Your gift now will help distribute relief supplies — including food, clean water, blankets, and tents to children and families impacted by the earthquake and aftershocks in Haiti.

Yele Haiti

Texting YELE to 501501
On Twitter, musician Wyclef Jean, a native of Haiti, notes, "Haiti needs your help and $5 will go toward earthquake relief."

Yele Haiti is a grassroots movement Jean has set up to inspire change in Haiti through programs in education, sports, the arts and environment.

The above article is available here

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:08 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Anything ZS can do as a single effort to help out, or are we relying on outside sources for donation for the time being?

Imrcly wrote:
then your an idiot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:56 pm 

[quote="DrthTater"]Apparently, and I haven't confirmed this myself, but
[quote]UPS is shipping anything under 50lbs for free to Haiti. You can send food, clothes, shoes... quote]

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/about/ ... ke_ht.html

No I don't think so, they've suspended shipments to Haiti.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:32 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Kedyw wrote:
Anything ZS can do as a single effort to help out, or are we relying on outside sources for donation for the time being?

Dude, did you read the OP? :wink:

RIP Hk33k

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:22 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The Highwayman wrote:
Kedyw wrote:

I was just wondering if ZS as a group was planning on orchestrating one concentrated effort for the earthquake. It is apparent that we're not, though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:13 pm 

Well...maybe a group called Zombie Squad sending aid to Haiti might be thought of as tasteless in some quarters.

I have donated elsewhere, to the Red Cross, Doctors without Borders, and ShelterBox.

SMoAF wrote:
You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:57 pm 

Seriously though, how cool would Squad Zómbi be? :)

*stuffs cash in the red cross slot*

Free UK & Ireland Street and Topo maps for Garmin: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps (updated weekly) - OpenStreetMap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Kedyw wrote:
The Highwayman wrote:
Kedyw wrote:

I was just wondering if ZS as a group was planning on orchestrating one concentrated effort for the earthquake. It is apparent that we're not, though.

Correct. The original post in this thread (my post) explains why we are not organizing a concentrated financial effort from Zombie Squad. Bad timing. However, you are welcome to support the current charity drive that we are running right now that is a "concentrated effort".

If you are referring to a physical presents with ZS boots on the ground, that is not what this organization is about. We do not have the resources to properly train members and safely send them out to the disaster area at this time. We, instead, encourage our members to join up and give their time to other reputable organizations mentioned in this thread, like Red Cross.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Not so much the latter. I know ZS doesn't really have the money or manpower to do that, though I'm sure it'd be a cool thing to do if such a status was ever reached. I was thinking more along the lines of a single charity that the group promoted or started up whereby members and regulars could send packages, money, and other items to one destination for eventual shipping to Haiti. I guess I just didn't do the greatest of jobs when first scanning this thing. Sorry for the mix-up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Boots on the ground would be a bad Idea in the first place. Because we would have to have our own jets and we would need the clearance from the United States Government to land their in the first place. Also like OP said we don't have the money and also we dont have the time or power to train our Men and Women of ZS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:05 pm 

The only way to get volunteers over there would be to fly to the nearest operational airport to Haiti and then work your way in from there. Too much time and resources to complete effectively.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:46 pm 

I sent the Red Cross Haiti fund $300 this morning. Would be great to go help in person, but there are people waaaaaay more qualified than me, so I'll just help them help the Haitians.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:56 pm 
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

andygates wrote:
Seriously though, how cool would Squad Zómbi be? :)

*stuffs cash in the red cross slot*

They might assume we were from Zimbabwe and be really surprised when we arrived that actually they got a bunch of ZS peeps in camo and tactical gear! :lol:

ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at chapters@zombiehunters.org

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:21 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Good point. But it would be interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

We gave to 2 charities helping the people of Haiti so far:

http://www.directrelief.org/EmergencyRe ... Haiti.aspx - a Charity Navigator and Forbes Magazine Four Star Charitable organization

and

http://www.glahaiti.org/home - an orphange that was already on the ground in Haiti on the day of the quake, they need supplies to keep the kids safe and fed

Bravo to all who have been able to help so far!

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:26 pm 

I really dont want to sound mean, But I would find it easier to care about anything in Haiti If I though for one second that even one dollar had come from Haiti to help with any of our disasters. Instead we have sent billions of dollars there over the years and not one bit of progress has been made to show for any of our hard work and good intention. As far as I am concearned they must sleep in the bed they have made for themselves.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:45 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

johnwiseman wrote:
I really dont want to sound mean, But I would find it easier to care about anything in Haiti If I though for one second that even one dollar had come from Haiti to help with any of our disasters. Instead we have sent billions of dollars there over the years and not one bit of progress has been made to show for any of our hard work and good intention. As far as I am concearned they must sleep in the bed they have made for themselves.

You don't sound mean......You just sound like an officious, holier-than-thou prick. :roll:

I'll never understand why, for the life of me, people with shitty-assed attitudes like this can't just keep their stupid ass thoughts to themselves, instead of posting how thay're "too good" to donate in here. Like it or not, there are far more good people here, that care about those in need and try to do something about it, than people that have your f@&king mentality.

Hope you never need the kindness of others, that deem you unworthy of their time and resources..... :?

RIP Hk33k