It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:03 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Huckleberry wrote:
Damn, a binder! rhi, that was brilliant! I'm thinking a Powerpoint presentation for next year.

I work in aerospace also. This industry warps us. I used PowerPoint to make those labels for the back of the targets. It was all I could do to not make them bulleted lists. :lol:

Tell you what, Huck: next time you get to do the Microsoft Project chart showing exactly when we'll be shooting each target. We can phone Kyle up after every shot and report percent complete against the plan. I'm sure he'll enjoy that! :wink:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:15 am 

You people are freaking sick. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:26 am 

rhi wrote:
I think we need a new reality show with me and Pistol Pete as roommates. Just for fun, we could use names like "Felix" and "Oscar". Ever week would be new zany antics between the neat guy and the sloppy guy. Hilarity would ensue.

Oh that would be hilarious. Must include zombies though.
Like "The Odd Couple in Zombopolis" or something.

Hi Kyle I forgot to mail my targets in... still want them?
I can include cover letter, index, foot notes, glossary and appendix! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:35 am 

I think the Postal Service has rules against mailing human organs... even vestigial ones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Necrodamus wrote:
rhi wrote:
I think we need a new reality show with me and Pistol Pete as roommates. Just for fun, we could use names like "Felix" and "Oscar". Ever week would be new zany antics between the neat guy and the sloppy guy. Hilarity would ensue.

Oh that would be hilarious. Must include zombies though.
Like "The Odd Couple in Zombopolis" or something.

Hi Kyle I forgot to mail my targets in... still want them?
I can include cover letter, index, foot notes, glossary and appendix! :lol:

Nope. I'm done scoring targets for this year.

Been busy this week but will get totals and crap up this weekend if I don't get to it tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:31 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Grand total donations for this drive came to $2,403.80 with 68 people donating. Of those, 17 people mailed in their targets. With an average of 3 categories per person. The most popular category was Handgun (15 participants) followed by Rifle (11 participants).

Below are the total votes including registration votes, additional votes based on target score, and additional votes from the 1st and 2nd place winners of each category. I realized I made the additional votes for target scoring too easy because everyone who participated got extra votes. That's not really a bad thing though. It might encourage more people to participate next time.

American Red Cross 75
Adopt a Pet 43
American Radio Relay League 32
Habitat for Humanity 27
Toys for Tots 19
Susan G Komen Foundation 17
Save the Children 15
Americorps 10
Operation Food Search 9
American Cancer Society 6

A few people in the Missouri area paid a little bit more due to my failure to turn off the tax. oops. So, we just rolled that into the donation. Hope you don't mind.

The winning charity is American Red Cross. ZS is going to toss in another $96.50 to round the total donation up to $2500.00

The Postal Match Winners:

Handgun:
1st place: OkieZombies
2nd place: JamesCannon

1st place: Sckitzo
2nd place: <anonymous>

Centerfire Rifle
1st place: PistolPete
2nd place: Sckitzo

Shotgun
1st place: ericinmaryland
2nd place: Bakeel

Airgun
1st: Bakeel
2nd: PistolPete

The .22 match was kind of close and lots of people were in the 46+ scoring (max of 60).

There were only two participants in the airgun. :)

Those who one 1st place, be sure to thank SMoAF when you get your prize in the mail.

I'm pretty happy with this turn out. I think it's something we'll have to do again. Although, next time I'm going to offer an option on the application to allow us to share your scores/targets on the website. I don't know why I didn't think about that. It would be fun to compare.

I'll probably just have everyone email them to me as well rather than mail them in. We might get more submissions that way.

Thanks again, everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Lol, first in .22... second was anonymous, almost makes me think I was the only one :lol:
Rather suprised at that, and 2nd in center fire, Adopt a Pet lost, but oh well. Thanks for all the work Kyle, the whole thing was fun on my end I know so look forward to next years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am 

Wow, and here I figured I'd get blown away on the handgun match. I sent it in just so ZS would get some love and know people participated.

Congratulations Okie! What'd you shoot with?

I shot my Browning High Power, standing, no rest, with cheapo WWB FMJ :P

I would also vote +1 to digital submissions. Would make things a lot easier for me, anyways, and given that this is such an "honor system" event, I don't think we'll have to worry about photoshoppers any more than someone standing point-blank range or only shooting at 5-10yds instead of 25yds, and the like.

ETA: Oh and congratulations to all the other winners :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:01 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Sckitzo wrote:
Lol, first in .22... second was anonymous, almost makes me think I was the only one :lol:
Rather suprised at that, and 2nd in center fire, Adopt a Pet lost, but oh well. Thanks for all the work Kyle, the whole thing was fun on my end I know so look forward to next years.

Actually, .22 had like 8 submissions I think. It was pretty close. I think I may have to make it a little harder next time. That's the one match that most people did really well. Maybe because the ammo is much cheaper so people can actually afford to go out and practice with it more often. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:08 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

kyle wrote:
Sckitzo wrote:

Actually, .22 had like 8 submissions I think. It was pretty close. I think I may have to make it a little harder next time. That's the one match that most people did really well. Maybe because the ammo is much cheaper so people can actually afford to go out and practice with it more often. :)

I think ammo price had a lot to do with that one, also range restrictions and such may have played apart of it.

Maybe bump the range up a bit. Since its a pick your own shooting stance for all of em would make the most sense in my eyes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:12 am 

If I had to do it again, I'd kneel down on one knee, left elbow on bench... I did that this weekend to test a couple dif ammos from my BHP, and holy shit I coulda driven nails. My grouping at 20yds couldn't have been more than 1 1/2"... just about every hole overlapped at least one other. I've -never- seen that kind of accuracy from a handgun... sheesh. 'course I was shooting it like a rifle... held steady, aimed, and sloped pulled on the trigger bit by bit until it broke... I was floored. Didn't know I could ever do that. Thrilling results.

That in mind, I think we should constrain the handgun to a standing position, lol. I'd feel like I was cheating if I did that for a comp.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

JamesCannon wrote:
That in mind, I think we should constrain the handgun to a standing position, lol. I'd feel like I was cheating if I did that for a comp.

Agreed, but it also kinda depends on how strict we/they want the rules. You could say standing only, but I might have a piller or post to brace against. It might as well be a bench rest if you hold the pistol right. Same goes for standing rifle shooting too I guess. So in the end you have rules like "Standing, no support other than other hand" or even breaking it down into more categories like Pistol supported and Pistol no support. It gets kinda silly at this point in my opinion.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:21 pm 

Wildeman_13 wrote:
JamesCannon wrote:

Agreed, but it also kinda depends on how strict we/they want the rules. You could say standing only, but I might have a piller or post to brace against. It might as well be a bench rest if you hold the pistol right. Same goes for standing rifle shooting too I guess. So in the end you have rules like "Standing, no support other than other hand" or even breaking it down into more categories like Pistol supported and Pistol no support. It gets kinda silly at this point in my opinion.

"free standing" then maybe.

I'm not gonna do a full rested/supported position because I think that takes away from the spirit of the competition, and really doesn't test -me- at all. At that point I may as well put my gun in a vice and shoot it, ya know? Plus I imagine it would be -hell- to compare/contrast all the targets if everyone did that with their handgun at 25 yards. Considering how my handgun pattern was, and I got 2nd... I think we should do it the same... and I was free standing, and assume everyone else was too.

images posted of my targets, fwiw: viewtopic.php?p=1222532#p1222532

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:35 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I'm shocked I placed 2nd in airgun. My targets were awful. I had this gun I hadn't really shot and the scope I put on was 7" low and 3" off to the side at 25 yards. (I bought it used from a guy, the rear sight had been broken off) I used Kentucky windage to get my shots in the middle because I only had time to shoot a couple targets and I didn't do a very good job.

The funny part about my centerfire target is I had 3 or 4 handloads I was trying out that day. I just happened to shoot at the zs targets with the one that shot well.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:38 pm 

PistolPete wrote:
I'm shocked I placed 2nd in airgun. My targets were awful.

If it makes you feel better, you also came in dead last.

kyle wrote:
There were only two participants in the airgun. :)

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:16 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I feel better now. My target looked like a shotgun pattern. 8)

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:37 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I really didn't expect to place let alone win anything. It was fun day at the range for a good cause. That being said as much as I would love to have a 30 round Pmag, the powers to be in NJ assume that if my post ban AR was to come in contact with that magazine I would instantly start shooting the state up. I am going to have to pass on the Pmag. Wow I just threw up a little in my mouth after I typed that. I need to get out of this state.

Swords of Legend my RPG gaming blog

My BOB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:42 pm 

Bakeel wrote:
I really didn't expect to place let alone win anything. It was fun day at the range for a good cause. That being said as much as I would love to have a 30 round Pmag, the powers to be in NJ assume that if my post ban AR was to come in contact with that magazine I would instantly start shooting the state up. I am going to have to pass on the Pmag. Wow I just threw up a little in my mouth after I typed that. I need to get out of this state.

Can you have 20 rounders?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:09 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

No 15 is the limit, but SMoAF was nice enough to contact me and work with me. He is a stand up guy, and really showed the spirit of this event, good will.

Swords of Legend my RPG gaming blog

My BOB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:04 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Dog tags are not in yet. I'll follow up with the engraver this week end get an ETA.

Yes, I know (thanks to the PM reminders) that I still haven't put up the donor forum banners yet. I'll get that up soon. Sorry for the delay. I kind of forgot about them. :oops:

Also, because of legalities of those who live in areas where the 1st place prize (30 round magazines) cannot be used, alternate prizes will be sent to those winners.

However, the magazines that cannot be shipped out due to legal reasons have to be given a home. They will be given away to those participates with the LOWEST scores in the contest. :)

I'll have to go over those scores when I get home. I'll let you guys know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm 

haha, nice! Kind of like the "crying towel award" that gets handed out at some competitions I frequent... even though they may've shot 6 of 100 clays, they still get a trophy :P At least the award for this years lowest scorer gets a cool functional prize!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:49 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

kyle wrote:
However, the magazines that cannot be shipped out due to legal reasons have to be given a home. They will be given away to those participates with the LOWEST scores in the contest. :)

Or how about to those of us with the lamest excuses at to why our scores sucked so bad!
Wait!!! I can't use the 30 rounders anyways... Damnit!!!

Ehh.. suggestion still stands. :P

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:37 pm 

kyle, just curious if you ever got an update on a ETA for the dog tags

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:04 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

anungunrama wrote:
kyle, just curious if you ever got an update on a ETA for the dog tags

Shit. I have not followed up with the guy. I am calling him right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next