It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:32 pm 

I just realized that my shotgun slugs are disqualified. I misread thought they were -all- 5 shots per target. Slugs are 3 per target.

Don't be a tard like me, folks. Read it all.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:00 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Only a week and a half left to get those targets in!

I'll get a stat update later this evening.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Kyle really wants targets mailed in.

I can't wait to see how much better everyone else did on the pistol shooting than I did. My shots were all in a straight line left to right across the target. Of course, had I been able to use the zombie target, I think I'd have done better.

My ZS Introduction and 1st Post
Epilepsy in PAW and my 3 Day Bug Out Bag and IFAK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:37 pm 

I will get my excuses in early. Snow finally off the range but very wet. 35 degrees with a gusting wind. I got out of the warm car, hung 6 targets, got back in the car, loaded 10 rounds each for rifle, shotgun & pistol, got out of the warm car, shot all three strings of fire, pulled down targets and got back in the warm car. I got 5 rounds on paper for each target but it was not pretty. I had more in the white than in the rings. BUT any day on the range no matter how bad, bets a day in the office.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:03 pm 

Finally got my shooting done, and it was a fun time rife with errors. I forgot to bring centerfire pistol ammo. Oops. My target stands were waterlogged so the centerfire rifle bullets exploded the plywood backing and wrecked the paper targets. That doesn't matter because standng water made shooting at 100 yards impossible (well, very unpleasant), so I DQ myself there. My .177 air rifle pattered like a shotgun so I didn't bother scanning them much less submitting for judging. Still, a day spent shooting badly is better than most anything else well.

The good news is that the rimfire rifle & pistol were frikkin' ON today! If I suspect I can beat the postmark deadline I may try to sneak in my centerfire pistol strings early in the morning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:01 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Due to several requests, I'll pushing the post mark deadline to March 5th. What's up with ZS folks always waiting until the last minute. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 pm 

kyle wrote:
Due to several requests, I'll pushing the post mark deadline to March 5th. What's up with ZS folks always waiting until the last minute. :)

Hey, I didn't wait until the last minute. I went to the range on the 20th, I just left my targets on my desk at home...

Work has kept me from getting back out there, but hopefully I can get at least the pistol shot and mailed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:30 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

The drive is over!! Thanks to all who participated!

I'll get final numbers up for donations. It may not be completely accurate until after we hit the P.O. Box next week to look for any last minute submissions.

I have to admit this drive isn't as successful as past drives but it wasn't promoted as much (because our funds are low) and with the current disasters, donors dollars are probably spread thin. I'm sure the economy isn't helping either. We'll do better next time.

I'm still happy to see we broke over $2K! It will help out the charity that wins.

Dog tags will be printed this month and mailed out when we get them. Prizes will go out for winners once the submitted targets are "graded".

We have a surprise donation from someone that will be given out to all the first place winners. More info on that soon. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:53 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

kyle wrote:

Sonofabeetch! I totally missed this! I was actually all ready to shoot this last weekend, then figured "ah, forget it. Monday will be too late for the post mark!"

Dammit. Oh well, it's for the children/pets/hungry/impoverished/less fortunate/etc..... :mrgreen:

RIP Hk33k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:16 pm 

Do we get our targets back with a letter grade and "teacher" commentary? :lol:

Glad to see over $2k was raised. That's not really small change, even if you guys have done better. Glad to have been a part, at least. It was fun, and it gave me an excuse to shoot slugs for the first time in my life. It was a really enjoyable excuse to get out and shoot.

I'm happy to give as well, so it's only that much sweeter to have fun doing it, rather than the plain boring way of mailing a check and/or putting some cash in a jar.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:37 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

I'm getting some very amusing submissions. I'll be sharing (with pictures) after I complete the scoring. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:22 am 

Shoot stuff AND raise money for a good cause? This is MY kind of charity work! Congrats on the successful conclusion, and thanks in advance for the effort to wrap it up.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:45 pm 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

I typed up a long post yesterday but my browser crashed before I posted it due to trying to upload a youtube video at the same time. Got annoyed and decided to put it off until today. Let's try again! Unfortunately, this one will be much shorter. :)

OK, I'm waiting to hear back from the person who checked the ZS P.O. Box last to make sure there aren't anymore submissions. However, I have scored close to 100 targets. Great turnout!

I think we will have to be sticker about sticking with the standardized targets next time. It was a pain to line them up with the standard target to score them.

Once I am sure I have all targets scored I'll post up votes for the charities so we know who we will be sending our money to and list the winners of the postal match. Until then, here are some highlights of the target scoring...

First, I have to announce two honorable mentions for submission quality:

The "Best and Most Organized" goes to rhi. This guy takes organization to an unhealthy level. I'm glad he's not my roommate. We'd kill each other!

Here is the bound book of targets we got in the mail:

There were cards with very detailed information printed on the back of each target.

He also threw in a 6th category involving a K-bar knife. Nice work, rhi!

The "Worst Submission" has to go to your forum administrator, PistolPete. A few St. Louis folks handed me targets in person to save on shipping. PistolPete's submission consisted of handing me a beat-up paper bag full of targets at a bar.

I'm glad PistolPete isn't my roommate!

Here are some other random amusements I noticed while scoring that I thought I'd share.

rhi isn't the only crazy overly organized submission we received. Several included cover sheets and and inventory of the contents of the submission. Here are only a couple because I got tired of taking pictures.

Thanks again to everyone who submitted targets!

Lastly, SMoAF donated magazines to ZS which we are giving out to the first place winners of each match. They are AR-15 Magpul magazines:

SMoAF, mentioned that he would be happy to trade you out for an AK mag instead if you would like. He has some good NIW chinese he would trade. Thanks for the donation SMoAF!!

OK, that's all for now. The Dog tags are in the process of getting made. I'll have your forum name badges up soon as well (after I make it).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Ohh man, like 2 or 3 of those mess ups are mine :lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:55 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I think we need a new reality show with me and Pistol Pete as roommates. Just for fun, we could use names like "Felix" and "Oscar". Ever week would be new zany antics between the neat guy and the sloppy guy. Hilarity would ensue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:13 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Also, I want to point out that a lot of people sent in targets that were way off the mark with no points or only a few points but obviously wouldn't win. They sent them in anyway and that's actually awesome. It's good to see people out there participating in this and not ashamed to admit they need more practice.

We should do more of these and see how everyone's scores progress.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:18 am 

kyle wrote:
Also, I want to point out that a lot of people sent in targets that were way off the mark with no points or only a few points but obviously wouldn't win. They sent them in anyway and that's actually awesome. It's good to see people out there participating in this and not ashamed to admit they need more practice.

We should do more of these and see how everyone's scores progress.

You're welcome!
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Those overlaps were mine... sigh. The range I was at would not let me spread the targets apart as I was getting to close to their edges. They also were closing and I was worried if I put them up one at a time I would not get through them all before the range closed. Next time I will do it right. :)

But hey, it's for the children... or the dogs... or the homeless... or whoever we end up sending the money to! :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I just noticed typos on my cover letter that I sent, I should have had Rhi proof read it. Maybe I should send another cover letter in. lol

Swords of Legend my RPG gaming blog

My BOB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:54 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Bakeel wrote:
I should have had Rhi proof read it.
Spelling and grammar check services cheerfully provided. :D

Seriously, shooting with a partner was great. I know Bakeel's a good, safe shooter from previous outings and we were able to spot each other. The best part was hearing him discharge his air gun, then hearing the pellet impact a split second later. :lol: He managed to turn in decent groups in that category, though!

Kyle: I thought about submitting a bunch of ashes for the "improvised flamethrower" freestyle category. However, even though it's sparsely populated in my neighborhood in winter, I was a little worried about attracting attention by lighting up a target with Gumout and a match in my driveway. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:11 am 

kyle wrote:
OK, that's all for now. The Dog tags are in the process of getting made. I'll have your forum name badges up soon as well (after I make it).

if you want to save on the shipping for mine and the other people from the vegas chapters dog tags feel free to bring them with you when you guys come out for Xanadu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:16 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

rhi wrote:
I thought about submitting a bunch of ashes for the "improvised flamethrower" freestyle category. However, even though it's sparsely populated in my neighborhood in winter, I was a little worried about attracting attention by lighting up a target with Gumout and a match in my driveway. :shock:

The problem is going with the "improvised" bit. If you had, say, a used Chicom Type 74, I doubt the neighbors would say a word.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:35 am 
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

anungunrama wrote:
kyle wrote:

if you want to save on the shipping for mine and the other people from the vegas chapters dog tags feel free to bring them with you when you guys come out for Xanadu

I definitely will if we get them in by then!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:39 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I get to claim one of those "crazy overly organized" submissions. I'm anal that way. My need to organize keeps me employed as a QA Inspector for military flight parts. My knowledge base means nothing, but I keep t's crossed and i's dotted and the government loves that.

In my anal way, I'm happy to have been mentioned in the "organized" category. I'm also aggravated with myself that I didn't win the "Best and Most Organized" submission. Damn, a binder! rhi, that was brilliant! I'm thinking a Powerpoint presentation for next year.

But to learn all about these recondite matters, your best way is at once to descend into the blubber-room, and have a long talk with the inmates.
M-D, c. 94

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next