It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Mark your Calendars!

ZSNY will be hosting their second annual summer camping trip way the hell up in the Adirondack Park of New York State, from the 7th to the 9th of August; it will be a canoe/kayak trip over flat water.

If you have a boat, that's great...if you don't you can either rent one, or try to hitch a ride with someone else.

Lots more information and links and maps and scratch&sniff to come, but I wanted to post this not to get your attention, and give us a starting point for planning.

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:33 pm 

Fair warning: This trip will include frequent references to Deliverance, as well as constant singing of "I'm On a Boat" by the chapter Vice President.

Kevin

Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:37 pm 

Well, I'm bringing my bow, so that makes me Burt Reynolds.
Y'all can battle it out for the rest of the cast Squeal like a pig.

Famine wrote:
Fair warning: This trip will include frequent references to Deliverance, as well as constant singing of "I'm On a Boat" by the chapter Vice President.

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:46 pm 

I get to be the messed up kid with the Banjo.

Kevin

Well, if you are thinking of moving into a house, and all the signs on the street every 50 feet warn in giant block letters: GUNS WILL BE TAKEN IF THERE IS MORE THAN 3 INCHES OF SNOW, you may want to re-think living there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:46 pm 

PackRaft Time? :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:42 am 

Carry me, plebs! I'm not sure what kind of shape I'll be in for the trip, but I'm pretty dedicated to coming down, chilling with m homies, and playing with fire.

Deschain

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

De-Domesticating the Modern Male

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:10 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Link to a webpage with more information about the ZSNY PaddleFest 2009

Cool Google Map

Jamie

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:23 am 

Dang it! This is the same wknd as a demolition derby in Lebanon, CT I wanted to go to w/ y'all. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:57 am 

Canoe or Raft? Decisions, decisions...

What are the portages looking like at the route?

-Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

MikeM wrote:
Canoe or Raft? Decisions, decisions...

What are the portages looking like at the route?

-Mike

Full Disclosure of Raft/Portage/River Issues

The initial launch is a 75 yard carry from parking down a hill to the water.

There are 2 somewhat narrow stream segments, but as long as your raft isn't 8-10 feet wide, they shouldn't be a problem.

The portage from the second river segment to Follensby Clear Pond is about 200-300 yards (with an occasionally problematic exit from the water...my beagle dumped my canoe in this spot a couple of years ago).

There is a short river segment from Follensby Clear Pond into Upper Saranac Lake on Sunday, but boats less than 6 feet wide shouldn't have a problem (and if they do, the current is negligible and the river shallow enough to walk the boat if needed).

Upper Saranac Lake can have a headwind at times, and is open water paddling, but we can hide in the wind-shadows of islands and curving shorelines as needed.

The boat launch at the north end of Upper Saranac Lake has a ramp such that you could back your vehicle down into the water to pick up your boat if you so desired.

I wouldn't paddle a raft on this trip, as it is better suited to a canoe or kayak. That being said, we're only paddling a total of about 12 miles in the 2 days (that's not counting side-trips or screwing around), and if you don't mind a workout, we're not going to leave anyone behind.

I hope that answers your questions...if not, please fire away...this is a great trip, and I think that a flotilla would be fun, but I don't want anyone unhappy because I under-explained something...

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:23 am 

Heck Jamie, you had me at "ZSNY camping trip" :lol: Seriously, I gave myself the weekend off as soon as I read the first post.

Canoe it is then.

-Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I just called the boat livery place near(ish) the trip, and their boats and kayaks all rent for $24 per day...we could make a ninja run as early as they open on Saturday, unless people want to pick them up Friday and be ready to go Saturday morning for paddling with coffee...

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:03 pm 

How do people get the rental boats back to Fleetwood when we end in Saranac? Free Pickup?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 pm 

What if it rains? If it raining and no thunder, we would befine with sealed off kayaks...canoes may be another story. Do we want to say Kayaks only?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bster13 wrote:
How do people get the rental boats back to Fleetwood when we end in Saranac? Free Pickup?
We'll have to car-top the boats from the rental place to Floodwood, and then back to the rental place from the boat launch on Upper Saranac...not big distances...just some shuttling...

Bster13 wrote:
What if it rains? If it raining and no thunder, we would be fine with sealed off kayaks...canoes may be another story. Do we want to say Kayaks only?
I have canoed through some amazing rainstorms, and the worst on that I ever paddled in required bailing out after 1/2 hour, and then again every once in a while...I'm a canoe-guy, and will rock a canoe no matter what, but everyone should make their own choice...

Here's a blog entry from that day...

Jamie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:56 pm 

Will people be rocki ng life vests? Where be the ultralights one?! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:45 am 

Bster13 wrote:

Prolly the same spot as the CADPAT ones. If I come, I'm bringing a vest. No getting killed on accident for me!

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

De-Domesticating the Modern Male

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:47 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Bster13 wrote:

Everyone is required by law to have a NYS approved floatation device with them in their boat by law...whether or not you were it should be based on your swimming ability and the fact that we will often be in deep water, but will not face any rapids...Rentals from Hickcock's Livery includes paddles and lifejackets...

Jamie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:28 pm 

MikeM wrote:
Well, I'm bringing my bow, so that makes me Burt Reynolds.
Y'all can battle it out for the rest of the cast Squeal like a pig.

Famine wrote:

Kevin

Since i am in the heavy side - COUNT ME OUT - unless someone has a chasity belt i can borrow!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:55 pm 

No packaraft for me it turns out, just not going to use it to it's fullest...opting for an inflatable or collapsible kayak. Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:06 pm 

They got inflatable pfds that blow up when they hit the water. They're pretty light and compact. Just looking for a decent price on one... otherwise it's a regular vest methinks.

One of the inflatables... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?id=0038078&navCount=7&parentId=cat21312&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=perf&parentType=index&indexId=cat21312&rid=

A vest I like... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0017607943068a&navCount=3&podId=0017607943068&parentId=cat21312&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=perf&catalogCode=IK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21312&hasJS=true

Bster13 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Festus Hagen wrote:

Mine is like the second one that you linked to...if I need my lifevest, I don't want to count on being able to pull the ripcord, and I don't want mine to blow up if it falls out of the boat and into the water...

Jamie

ETA: I have a raunchy alcoholic concoction for the PaddleFest, so everyone can relax now...if falls somewhere along the spectrum between Bad Medicine and Bacon Bourbon... :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:30 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

nfa wrote:
Festus Hagen wrote:

Mine is like the second one that you linked to...if I need my lifevest, I don't want to count on being able to pull the ripcord, and I don't want mine to blow up if it falls out of the boat and into the water...

Jamie

Those inflatables are actually really good. They were designed by a company that started at RPI. I know of the folks and the system is virtually fail-safe. I wonder if it's EMP proof, though...

nfa wrote:

ETA: I have a raunchy alcoholic concoction for the PaddleFest, so everyone can relax now...if falls somewhere along the spectrum between Bad Medicine and Bacon Bourbon... :twisted:

I am strangely intrigued by this...

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
Rush2112 wrote:
TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:40 am 

What is EMP? The inflatables are coast guard approved, but was wondering. thx.