Anybody else have an AMC Eagle?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Desolo

Re: Anybody else have an AMC Eagle?

Post by Desolo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:02 am

Nah, your just learning, and when you learn, its always good :D

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:50 pm

I apologize if bringing up old threads is looked down upon, but I just wanted to show some AMC love. (I actually have a project Gremlin haha)

The Eagle is an awesome platform, and contrary to popular belief, they can keep up with the jeeps in the trails. A lot of hardware is actually the same as-well

Here's a video showing what the Eagle can do. A bunch of these Eagles are stock too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL5PgWqH ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 258 is also a very capable engine, and surprising there is a decent amount of after market for it.

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:01 am

HA! I saw a Kammback in there! :clap: The SX4 2dr's are pretty cool, But pretty hard to find.

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Love the Kammbacks.

I had an '85 Eagle wagon ("Sportabout" for you AMC purists) and an '80 Eagle Coupe. Now that Coupe was a really neat car- I loved the interior on that one- all black, with the faux-wood trim on the dash. That was a mean automobile.

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 pm

A few months back some one near by had a Kammback for sale for 1200 bucks.... PERFECT condition, and had been ordered with the 5 speed trans with the 258 (rather then the auto and the 4 cyl) from the FACTORY.... I really wish Id had the cash, that was an awesome car, Steel gray with maroon trim. :(

db_tanker
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by db_tanker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:40 am

I think I have read that the 258 I-6 has same bell housing as the 4.0 I-6....perhaps swap in a 4.0 with a TBI and stay away from the other stuff as it (the 4.0) would have a few more parts available from junk yards all over...

the Ford big-six swap would be...amazing...the damn thing could jerk a stump in idle. :)

but as far as the 4.0...you could get probably 80% of all your hard parts out of the junk yard to do the swap...

Vitesse Et Puissance

"She is startin' to damage my calm!"

NRA Life member
TSRA
ex-tank sniper =)

The Jinxmedic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:37 am

Both of mine had the 258- no 5 speed though...

Viper shtf

Post by Viper shtf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:14 pm

How hard would it be to drop a five-speed in?
PistolPete wrote:Seriously, fashion is dumb. But my wife likes the way they make my ass look or the way you can follow the veins on my balls through the denim or something. Whatever. I can dress up once in a while.

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:02 pm

For the 5 speed swap, Pretty involved from what Ive heard, but I dont know much other then that LOL

the 4.0 HO IS the AMC 258...just more refined. the head itself is an upgrade for the improvements to it alone, even if you kept it carbed.
You can actually make a "stroker" with the combined parts of the two engines that is stronger then either left alone, but Im a loooong way off from tearing down engines and tinkering like that. :crazy:

Scotty

Post by Scotty » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:14 am

5 speed is pretty much just a t-5 with a different bellhousing, IIRC. 4 speed would be a t-10. Theres a parts car round here that's a manual, I'm thinkin' bout trying to buy a runner and seeing if the guy would part with the linakages/clutch/tranny/any thing else I'd need to do the complete swap.

Dunno how much work it'd be exactly tho.

1_v8_Merc

Post by 1_v8_Merc » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:31 pm

We have an AMC Eagle at the junkyard, it's a parts-hauler car.

It's actually the only car that Hasnt broken down yet.

Sometimes we set up a rally-course with junk cars, and dirt jumps.
Those eagles handle pretty good in the air, =).

Crinos96

Post by Crinos96 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Ok I had to join to jump in here. I have an 82 AMC eagle SX4 and I must defend the green monster. I have done some work to her. I dumped the junk carter 2bbl and got a weber 38. I swapped the trans from a 4 speed to a five speed and put a T-case in that has a low range. I have done some work but she wasn't bad when I got her. The only real mod it needed was the webber. That will REALLY wake the engine up and get a lot more power out of the old 4.2 I now know this car from from bumper to bumper and because of the carb factor and how well I know it and the proven 4.2 I would take it on z-day if need be. I get about 25 mpg and it's a beast in the mud and snow. GO AMC!!

Desolo

Post by Desolo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:44 am

Is that the original color? Always liked the green on black paint scheme :clap: I also like the push bar!

The Jinxmedic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 am

My 1980 Coupe was green and black. I really liked that car...

Crinos96

Post by Crinos96 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:33 pm

No I painted it myself (yes it's not the best but it does NOT look like rattle can at least). I was fond of the hunter green and black.

dustytomes

Post by dustytomes » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm

My 1st car was an AMC pacer. :oops:

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Never had an Eagle but owned a series of AMC Hornet Sportabouts. Great cars.
Good mileage, beat the shit out of them and they kept on chugging, simple to work on.
I'd buy an early Eagle tomorrow if the price was right.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:54 am

never had one, but my sister had a blueish color 2 door, back in the mid 80's.

she picked me up from elementary school one day (she is 12 years older than i), and we got smacked by a box van coming around a blind turn at 60mph... i still say she tried to kill me because i am such an awesome person, and she was jealous of that fact. all in all though, the AMC held up pretty well to a 10,000 pound loaded box van doing 60mph.

she ended up buying a 1987 Pontiac Sunbird GT to replace it. (are there any of those on the road anymore??)

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Bottomsnag

Post by Bottomsnag » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am

I have an AMC Eagle. in 1980 was the first fully automatic full time all mechanical awd wagon.First to have an automatic transmission. 17 years later in 1996 suburu invented the world's first sport utility wagon. In the 80s only audi had the quattro and only with a stick with an 85% front wheel drive bias. Subaru had a crude front drive - part time 4wd that cannot be used on dry roads or over 45 mph.. American motors had quadratrac fully automatic in 1973. Toyota was all part time until into the 90s. I also have a 1970 AMX. Oddly the Eagle usually gets more attention than any other car I've owned. I also have a 96 grand Cherokee with am AMC 4.0 LITER. . The eagle is awesome in snow and ice and has mechanical anti lock brakes that work even if the motor is off . A 4 speaker stereo with built in factory cb radio. Heavy duty suspension with a front skid plate.. an out back drags the plastic bumper for a skid plate.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:33 am

I had an AMC Eagle. I bought it for $50 in the mid-90s. It needed a new muffler right away. About a year later I had to replace the heater core and the radiator. Kept it for another year or two and then one night it spat all its transmission fluid onto the road and never moved under its own power again. I'd say I definitely got my $50 worth out of it, though.

Now I have a Subaru Outback.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:11 pm

I had a Eagle station wagon late 80's early 90's. Stick shift and that was the only problem we had with it. If you used dot 3 brake fluid in the hydraulic clutch, it ate slave and masters within a couple months. Had a mechanic finally clue me in that the clutch was European manufacture and needed to use mineral oil based hydraulic fluid. After that everything was good. That car was a hoot. Specially when I pulled big four by fours out from where they had gotten stuck. It is on the short list of vehicles we wish we still had. It would be perfect for here in KS, What with no mountains to worry about. It wasn't the fastest car I've owned.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:34 am

Never an Eagle, but my first car was an old '89 wrangler with the 4.2 and 3 speed auto...

Loved it, reliable overall, and never got stuck if I used my head.

Having said that though, slowwwwww.... Can't imagine the Eagle was lighter so it must have been a dog. And I could look past all the downsides coz it was a cool Jeep. Might be tougher in a shaggin wagon
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

grennels

Post by grennels » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:10 pm

Never had an Eagle but I did have a series of 3 AMC Hornet Sportabout's.

Decent gas mileage, bullet proof, simple to work on.

Always wanted an Eagle.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Return to “Transportation”