It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Japanese Mini-Truck?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:31 am 

Had a conversation with a co-worker years ago where he was talking about buying a "Gator" (around here any SxS is called a gator) to putz around his 10 acres. I said "Why not buy an old Toyota 4X4 then you get an enclosed cab, heat, radio, etc"

Which is exactly what I did - got a 82 Toyota Hi-lux from a different co worker for $500. 4X4 running and driving, street legal, parts availability. As off road capable as you can afford to make it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:56 am 

teotwaki wrote:
I would not want the headaches of relying on a 25 year old vehicle, especially without a dealer parts network. It is one thing to have one as a toy where repeated breakdowns are not a threat to your survival but I'd not desire and old mini truck for the ZPAW

Just because the vehicle is over 25 years old, does not mean the running gear (engine, tranny, transfer case, diffs, etc.) has to be 25 years old. In some states (the majority I believe, but I could be wrong) all they care about is what the VIN says it is. You could take the body off and bolt it to an entirely different chassis, or replace the engine and drivetrain with much newer components, and it's still over 25 years old and legal as far as they're concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 pm 

KJ4VOV wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
I would not want the headaches of relying on a 25 year old vehicle, especially without a dealer parts network. It is one thing to have one as a toy where repeated breakdowns are not a threat to your survival but I'd not desire and old mini truck for the ZPAW

Just because the vehicle is over 25 years old, does not mean the running gear (engine, tranny, transfer case, diffs, etc.) has to be 25 years old. In some states (the majority I believe, but I could be wrong) all they care about is what the VIN says it is. You could take the body off and bolt it to an entirely different chassis, or replace the engine and drivetrain with much newer components, and it's still over 25 years old and legal as far as they're concerned.

For a while there was a thriving gray market where you would buy a beater VW bug and send it to Mexico to be rebuilt. The dealer would move the VIN plates to a new VW bug and call it a rebuild. Worked - for a while. The last of the air-cooled Bugs rolled off the line in 2003.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:09 pm 

TacAir wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
teotwaki wrote:

For a while there was a thriving gray market where you would buy a beater VW bug and send it to Mexico to be rebuilt. The dealer would move the VIN plates to a new VW bug and call it a rebuild. Worked - for a while. The last of the air-cooled Bugs rolled off the line in 2003.

I really wish I had known about that. Those old bugs were/are durable as hell.
Wonder if they were doing the same for the air cooled VW "Thing" .....

“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein