New tires for my truck - P's instead of LT's?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wguy00

New tires for my truck - P's instead of LT's?

Post by wguy00 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:33 pm

I wanna get a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for my truck. It's a 2005 Nissan Titan XE king cab. I'm looking to put the P285/70R17's on instead of the LT285/70R17. When I "off-road", it's generally dirt roads going to shooting ranges and stuff. I don't tow anything. When I have cargo, it's the same stuff that anyone with a truck gets asked to move (a fridge, a couch, help me move my whole house, etc). Is there any down side to this? Am I running a risk using a passenger tire instead of a light truck? The maximum load for the tire is 2833 pounds. If I multiply that by four, I get a max load of 11,332 pounds which is about double my GVWR. What say ye, Zombie Squad?

Edit:
This is the info for the tires off of Nitto's page.
http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#ind ... pler.sizes
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: New tires for my truck - P's instead of LT's?

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:55 pm

wguy00 wrote:I wanna get a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers for my truck. It's a 2005 Nissan Titan XE king cab. I'm looking to put the P285/70R17's on instead of the LT285/70R17. When I "off-road", it's generally dirt roads going to shooting ranges and stuff. I don't tow anything. When I have cargo, it's the same stuff that anyone with a truck gets asked to move (a fridge, a couch, help me move my whole house, etc). Is there any down side to this? Am I running a risk using a passenger tire instead of a light truck? The maximum load for the tire is 2833 pounds. If I multiply that by four, I get a max load of 11,332 pounds which is about double my GVWR. What say ye, Zombie Squad?

Edit:
This is the info for the tires off of Nitto's page.
http://www.nittotire.com/index.html#ind ... pler.sizes
Passenger tires should be fine. You only need truck tires for hvy loads. Truck tires give a crappy ride. I have kuhmo p tires and they have 47k on them, no worries.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I knew I'd be alright but was looking for a little validation. I'm stopping on the way home to order them from Pepboys. They beat all the other shops in the area (and online!) by at least $100. Finally getting rid of my crappy Bridgestone Duelers.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

Spiffums
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Spiffums » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:41 pm

I have had good luck and use out of the All Terrain tires. It doesn't give that rough of a ride.

Hoppy
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them. except Diary of The Dead.

Post by Hoppy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:52 pm

i run Mastercraft Courser A/T 2 s

good off road, but smooth enough onroad. (Ford suspension isnt meant for "soft" driving)
No one has a sense for the dramatic.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:05 am

i personally would not put a p rated tire on a truck. sidewalls are too soft and flexxy for my likings. But as a side note I run LT315/75/16 BFG All Terrain KO's on my Super Duty

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:15 am

not sure if you shopped around online, but check out discounttire.com they usually have some pretty good deals on tires and its free shipping (big seller for me being in the middle of nowhere!)
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. I did look around online and was all set to order from discounttiredirect.com. A set of four Nittos was $792 shipped. Then I called Pep Boys. I'm not normally a PB fan, but they quoted me $860 installed. I'm headed over there at lunch to order 'em.
-Douglas Adams

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Ordered my tires this afternoon. $855 and change installed. I'm hoping these give my truck "that look" that I'm going for. Moving up to 285/70r17 from 245/75. Not much more tire, but hopefully it fills the wheel wells in a bit.
-Douglas Adams

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Working in a tire & lube shop for a living, I would of recommended against the P tire, but it's a done deal. Does the plackerd on your door frame recommend both P and LT tires? Also, you'll notice quite a jump in size from the sizes you mentioned. Hope it works out for you. =/ realize that it's also going to be a fair bit wider, as well as taller. Might get some rubbing in the front while cornering hard.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

doci869
Favorite Zombie Movies: dawn of the dead, Night of the living dead(old and new), anything relating to the ZPAW, well almost anything

Post by doci869 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:45 am

If your worried about price check out http://www.treadwright.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the have retreaded tires just about all sizes and plies for LTs. I have a set of thier 10 plies MTs on my GMC and for the price of 17s these days, I'll do retreads anytime from these guys. http://www.treadwright.com I think I got it in there.

American_Infidel
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later of course

Post by American_Infidel » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:19 am

greggk wrote:i personally would not put a p rated tire on a truck. sidewalls are too soft and flexxy for my likings.
Been my experience as well. My truck is mostly a daily driver but the occasional time I did haul something, the ride was awful with the SUV tires I had on it. Always felt like the ass end was wanting to come around on it.

Last set I bought (about 4 months ago) was a set of Firestone Transforce A/Ts in LT245/75/R16. Been extremely happy in the short time I have owned them. World of difference over the SUV tires I had on there previously.
Welcome to Erf

wguy00

Post by wguy00 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 pm

Vel454 wrote:Working in a tire & lube shop for a living, I would of recommended against the P tire, but it's a done deal. Does the plackerd on your door frame recommend both P and LT tires? Also, you'll notice quite a jump in size from the sizes you mentioned. Hope it works out for you. =/ realize that it's also going to be a fair bit wider, as well as taller. Might get some rubbing in the front while cornering hard.
The door frame recommends P tires. It doesn't mention LT. It also came with P's from the factory. I'm glad they'll be a bit wider as well as taller. The XE Titan comes with 245/75-17. The SE and LE models come with 265/70-18. Using the tire size calculator at miata.net, I see that the wheels I'll have on, and the ones that come stock on different models are nearly identical in size. I've also got a 2.5" leveling kit on the front. It shouldn't rub, but I'm prepared for if it does. I was originally going to get the Nittos in a 295/70-17, but that was getting a little too close for comfort as far as rubbing goes.
doci869 wrote:If your worried about price check out http://www.treadwright.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the have retreaded tires just about all sizes and plies for LTs. I have a set of thier 10 plies MTs on my GMC and for the price of 17s these days, I'll do retreads anytime from these guys. http://www.treadwright.com I think I got it in there.
I don't know man, something about running retreads doesn't sound all that safe to me. I think about all those retread bodies I see on the freeway from big rigs and that just doesn't look like something I want to deal with. :lol: How long have you been running your retreads?
-Douglas Adams

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Ah, didn't mention the lift. :roll: :lol: You'll do fine man.
Aut vincere aut mori...

zeropresence

Post by zeropresence » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Why are you checking the doorframe? Thats just an suggestion for ride quality. I run 285/75/16 BFG AT that are E rated on my tacoma and honestly its the only tire I'll ever run. Huge fan boy of the BFG AT tires.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:47 pm

zeropresence wrote:Why are you checking the doorframe? Thats just an suggestion for ride quality. I run 285/75/16 BFG AT that are E rated on my tacoma and honestly its the only tire I'll ever run. Huge fan boy of the BFG AT tires.
You don't have to stick with the recommended tire size that is stated on the placard, but it shows you what the vehicle came with out of the factory. If you have a small truck that recommends P215/75/R15's for example and you want to move up to some 265's you're more likely to run into some issues than if it came out of the factory with 235/75's. I didn't know off the top of my head what size of tires his truck came with, that's all. :roll:

And I'll +1 the BFG AT's, pretty badass tire.
Aut vincere aut mori...

gsxr750_25
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the dead (the remake), Shawn of the Dead (its just funny lol), 28 days and 28 months later, Ect.

Post by gsxr750_25 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:15 am

I agree with the BFG AT. Im on my second set of them on my durango. I wont go with anything else.

Oh yeah on topic. I don't think you will have issues with P tires. If you do a lot of trail riding I would but LTs on it but for normal street dirt stuff you will be ok.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. ~Edmund Burke~

Return to “Transportation”