Help Me Learn To Be A Cool Working-On-Cars Sort Of Lady

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wguy00

Re: Help Me Learn To Be A Cool Working-On-Cars Sort Of Lady

Post by wguy00 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:08 pm

First, I'm not a professional mechanic by any means. I like wrenching on my own cars and do 95% of my own work.

If you have to use an oil filter wrench to get the oil filter off, then you put it on too tight. Just my opinion.
He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
-Douglas Adams

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I've had to use filter wrenches numerous times. Mostly with either cars/trucks that I'd purchased and hadn't put the filter on myself, or one that had accumulated enough nastiness from the Colorado winter slush or leaking oil from whatever blew up under the engine compartment most recently that getting a grip was nothing more than a fond wish. Especially when it's in a truly jackass location where I can only get three finger on the damn thing. But where a filter wrench on an extension fits without issue.

MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:10 am

congochris wrote:Especially when it's in a truly jackass location where I can only get three finger on the damn thing. But where a filter wrench on an extension fits without issue.
Same here. I've never used tools to put a filter on, but I usually need one to get them off. Location is the big thing on my F-150. The engineer that designed it needs beat with a stick.

Bard
Favorite Zombie Movies: diary of the dead is probably my favorite.

Post by Bard » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:52 am

CTolley wrote:Same here. I've never used tools to put a filter on, but I usually need one to get them off. Location is the big thing on my F-150. The engineer that designed it needs beat with a stick.
Ford is known for that. jeep isnt much better. ford, however, is by far one of the worst. those guys could complicate pissing.
i dont know everything, but heres what i know now.
'If you create something idiot-proof, the world creates a better idiot.' -Ronn B.
dont want to carry a rod? you wearing laces on your shoes or do you not need those for 72 frigin hours? or your shirt? urine has amonia in it. youre a walking cleaning kit!!! your gun smells like pee. -Bard

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:49 am

Bard wrote:
CTolley wrote:Same here. I've never used tools to put a filter on, but I usually need one to get them off. Location is the big thing on my F-150. The engineer that designed it needs beat with a stick.
Ford is known for that. jeep isnt much better. ford, however, is by far one of the worst. those guys could complicate pissing.
Suzuki Sidekick/Geo Tracker was far and above the worst I've ever dealt with.

Return to “Transportation”