My Bug-Out Trailer and Vehicle

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Re: My Bug-Out Trailer and Vehicle

Post by aa1pr » Sun May 15, 2011 6:01 am

I must say I am very impressed with your truck, the modifications, your mechanical & fabrication skills, all combined you have a system to be envy of

I skipped one page of text/reading, but was wondering if you are thinking of a larger alternator ?

I also have to wonder if I have ever [not knowing your call] worked you on HF...love the gear & setup

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Post by driftking777 » Sun May 15, 2011 9:06 am

awesome thanks for the info Teotwaki! Just knowing the weight of the axle is helpful in itself. Have you ever weighed the camper loaded vs unloaded? I couldnt imagine it being anywhere near the 3500 they chose for the axle weight. Makes me wonder though if my 2500 axle will be enough though. lol
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun May 15, 2011 12:21 pm

aa1pr wrote:I must say I am very impressed with your truck, the modifications, your mechanical & fabrication skills, all combined you have a system to be envy of

I skipped one page of text/reading, but was wondering if you are thinking of a larger alternator ?

I also have to wonder if I have ever [not knowing your call] worked you on HF...love the gear & setup
Hi and thanks for the compliments! The stock alternator is supposed to be 120 amps . I know the V-8 engine has a 130 Amp unit. I am curious as to why you asked the question about the alternator so please post up ad we can kick it around.

My HF air time is not that high but i don't think that i've worked anyone in Vermont. My goal is to be able to have regular comms with some east coast family in case of the Zombie Apocalypse... :mrgreen:
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun May 15, 2011 12:23 pm

driftking777 wrote:awesome thanks for the info Teotwaki! Just knowing the weight of the axle is helpful in itself. Have you ever weighed the camper loaded vs unloaded? I couldnt imagine it being anywhere near the 3500 they chose for the axle weight. Makes me wonder though if my 2500 axle will be enough though. lol

I have not weighed it yet but that is on the curiousity list to do some day! I'm guessing it is under 2000 pounds so the bigger axle gives me plenty of margin if that is true.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 pm

I had to replace the alternator in my Yukon a few months ago and as such I opted for the 200 amp, in my case I had to purchase an additional cable to make it happen.

I was worried about running at full max output [current draw], my idea was like a batteries amperage, I wanted more available upon demand if needed

If I was on hf running 100w and drawing the 20 amps needed along with the other electronic accessories I did not want to stress the system.

Plus I think the extra amperage would allow me to properly install additional lighting if needed or wanted, that is usually a high amp useage thing...just throwing out ideas or questions for my own ideas basically, not prying into ones business

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun May 15, 2011 10:54 pm

aa1pr wrote:I had to replace the alternator in my Yukon a few months ago and as such I opted for the 200 amp, in my case I had to purchase an additional cable to make it happen.

I was worried about running at full max output [current draw], my idea was like a batteries amperage, I wanted more available upon demand if needed

If I was on hf running 100w and drawing the 20 amps needed along with the other electronic accessories I did not want to stress the system.

Plus I think the extra amperage would allow me to properly install additional lighting if needed or wanted, that is usually a high amp useage thing...just throwing out ideas or questions for my own ideas basically, not prying into ones business
I didn't think of it as prying. :D

When I run HF I connect the radio to the dual batteries in the nose of the trailer. The solar panel in some of the earlier pictures keeps them topped off during the day. While driving there is a 30A connection through the trailer's towing harness.

Bard
Favorite Zombie Movies: diary of the dead is probably my favorite.

Post by Bard » Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 am

first thing that came to mind when saw this thing.... "HOLY CRAP!"

next, 'wish i had half the funds and the tools.'
props, man. beautifly executed setup. couldnt have done it better myself.
i dont know everything, but heres what i know now.
'If you create something idiot-proof, the world creates a better idiot.' -Ronn B.
dont want to carry a rod? you wearing laces on your shoes or do you not need those for 72 frigin hours? or your shirt? urine has amonia in it. youre a walking cleaning kit!!! your gun smells like pee. -Bard

JDeMent
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Post by JDeMent » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:22 am

How did you wire your trailer batteries to charge while your engine is running and off the solar panel? That's my plan too but I haven't been able to locate a good wiring diagram. I would also like to have the option of plugging into shore power when available....

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:57 am

Bard wrote:first thing that came to mind when saw this thing.... "HOLY CRAP!"

next, 'wish i had half the funds and the tools.'
props, man. beautifly executed setup. couldnt have done it better myself.
Thank you much! This trailer has been a lot of fun and it also fills a gap in my bugout preps :mrgreen:

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:02 am

JDeMent wrote:How did you wire your trailer batteries to charge while your engine is running and off the solar panel? That's my plan too but I haven't been able to locate a good wiring diagram. I would also like to have the option of plugging into shore power when available....

Toyota provides a 30 Amp charging circuit in their 7 Pin trailer harness socket. What sort of truck do you have?

For shore power charging I put in a "Charge Pro" marine grade charger. It is in the lower right of this picture. i found a good deal on it on the Internet

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 pm

Do you live in San Diego County, and did I see you(well, your rig) near Santa Ysabel a few weeks ago headed west??? I think so...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Dawgboy wrote:Do you live in San Diego County, and did I see you(well, your rig) near Santa Ysabel a few weeks ago headed west??? I think so...
I don't live in SD County but I do hang out down there every so often :lol:

All kidding aside, I did not have my trailer down there in that time frame but maybe we'll see each other at a ZS Meet &Greet soon!

JDeMent

Post by JDeMent » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 pm

teotwaki wrote:
JDeMent wrote:How did you wire your trailer batteries to charge while your engine is running and off the solar panel? That's my plan too but I haven't been able to locate a good wiring diagram. I would also like to have the option of plugging into shore power when available....

Toyota provides a 30 Amp charging circuit in their 7 Pin trailer harness socket. What sort of truck do you have?

For shore power charging I put in a "Charge Pro" marine grade charger. It is in the lower right of this picture. i found a good deal on it on the Internet
I've got a 99 4Runner

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:38 am

JDeMent wrote:I've got a 99 4Runner

From what I have seen on line the '99 had a factory tow connector that was just 4 Pin. You could easily run your own charging line with a good fuse. WalMart sells the same brand of towing cable connectors cheaper than the auto stores so you could upgrade to a 6 or 7 pin connector.

JDeMent

Post by JDeMent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 am

Yes, it does have the 4 pin. So I can just switch it to a 5 pin and I run the extra wire straight to the battery?

WJ_Tardis
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by WJ_Tardis » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:10 am

You are my hero.
I'm still alive, Just busy getting married.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:59 am

JDeMent wrote:Yes, it does have the 4 pin. So I can just switch it to a 5 pin and I run the extra wire straight to the battery?
I don't know what your overall trailer plan is but you may want to consider a 7 Pin connector type. That way you will have not only a charging line but also spare pins for backup lights, electric brakes and a reliable and solid ground line to enable you to continue to expand your towing abilities. To me backup lights are a huge help when backing up a trailer on a dark night.

For the charging line you will want to be sure to have a good fuse or resettable DC breaker for protection before connecting to your battery. Run that wiring in a well protected way. I'm sure you know all this already! I just recall that when I did my trailer it was all new to me and was quite a learning curve. :mrgreen:

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:11 am

WJ_Tardis wrote:You are my hero.
Wow! Thanks!

JDeMent

Post by JDeMent » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:24 pm

teotwaki wrote:
JDeMent wrote:Yes, it does have the 4 pin. So I can just switch it to a 5 pin and I run the extra wire straight to the battery?
I don't know what your overall trailer plan is but you may want to consider a 7 Pin connector type. That way you will have not only a charging line but also spare pins for backup lights, electric brakes and a reliable and solid ground line to enable you to continue to expand your towing abilities. To me backup lights are a huge help when backing up a trailer on a dark night.

For the charging line you will want to be sure to have a good fuse or resettable DC breaker for protection before connecting to your battery. Run that wiring in a well protected way. I'm sure you know all this already! I just recall that when I did my trailer it was all new to me and was quite a learning curve. :mrgreen:
Great idea on using a 7 pin. Yes, backup lights will definitely be added. And electric brakes too at some point. I'm assuming the charge wire from the main battery will need to be a heavier gauge as well? Thanks for the info, this is my first trailer build and I'm cramming to learn more about 12v systems, solar power, batteries, tying into shore power, which fuses are best.... The list goes on.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:35 pm

Nice pic of Carrizo Gorge! I have been in there too...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 am

I found this chart explaining standard trailer wiring. Enjoy.

CrunchDog
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Shawn of the Dead

Post by CrunchDog » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:13 am

Hello TS, I don't think I've introduced myself yet, I'm Jealous. hahaha, very very nice. Why am I only seeing this now.
ZSSF
Oro en Paz, Fierro en Guerra

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:26 pm

JDeMent wrote: Great idea on using a 7 pin. Yes, backup lights will definitely be added. And electric brakes too at some point. I'm assuming the charge wire from the main battery will need to be a heavier gauge as well? Thanks for the info, this is my first trailer build and I'm cramming to learn more about 12v systems, solar power, batteries, tying into shore power, which fuses are best.... The list goes on.
One thing I learned the hard way was that commercially made cables with 7 Pin connectors may have LESS than 7 pins actually connected! In my case my backup lights didn't work and I spent a lot of time re-checking my own wiring. Eventually I had to question my assumptions and test the 7 Pin cable and then physically disassemble it to discover only 6 wires were provided (the BASTARDS!)

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Tater Raider wrote:I found this chart explaining standard trailer wiring. Enjoy.
Nice!

Return to “Transportation”