Truck tool box security?

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dan1775

Truck tool box security?

Post by dan1775 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Friends,

I want to get a cross-bed tool box for my F150, such as Knack, Delta, etc. I'd like to hear your thoughts/experiences on how secure they are against break-in and theft. I'd like to keep my mobile ZPAW gear in it, which would include some things I would hate to lose, and wouldn't want in the hands of anyone who would break into a truck.

I used to have one, a Weatherguard IIRC. It was never broken into, but I lived in a rural area at that time. Not so now. It was a good box, but I think a determined individual with a crowbar could have opened it up in a minute or less.

My truck has an alarm system. I wonder if it could be wired into the toolbox.

Thanks,

Dan

TacAir

Re: Truck tool box security?

Post by TacAir » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm

If it is in a vehicle it can/will be ripped off - short of a Brink's truck.

Get insurance and worry less.
YMMV
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:02 pm

dan1775 wrote:I used to have one, a Weatherguard IIRC. It was never broken into, but I lived in a rural area at that time. Not so now. It was a good box, but I think a determined individual with a crowbar could have opened it up in a minute or less.
A determined individual can always break into whatever, especially if said person is clever. +1 on insurance (check with your agent to ensure the stuff in the vehicle is covered) and get a consult from a reputable place selling and installing car alarms. Unless you are experienced in wiring these things up I'd also suggest letting the pro's handle the install. There is a tipping point between keeping your stuff safe and spending too much for what you are getting so be aware of that.

Installing a secure lockbox inside the toolbox or under the seat is another thing you can do. Out of sight out of mind is a truism for a reason.

The only other thing I would suggest is to keep the stuff that would be dangerous in the hands of criminals, difficult to replace, and stuff with sentimental value in 1 bag that you can grab and take inside.

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:12 pm

How about building a false bottom in the tool box? Keep old junk tools, such as that electric saw that no longer works and that jack that never stays up on top. Maybe the crook will just take what he can and run thinking he "scored" :roll:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

PileDriver73
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, I Am Legend, Resident Evil

Post by PileDriver73 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 pm

dukman wrote:How about building a false bottom in the tool box? Keep old junk tools, such as that electric saw that no longer works and that jack that never stays up on top. Maybe the crook will just take what he can and run thinking he "scored" :roll:
Good concept here, I went with something like this when I had a pickup. It's about the best way, because everyone already nailed it. If someone wants to steal something, they will. Keeping it locked will be the true prevention IMO, as any thief who just tried your box probably knows there's a dozen other trucks nearby with unlocked ones. :lol:
The key to survival is not dying.
ZS ID #1941
Fleet #0173 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 am

I cannot find a source online, but I remember reading a review of an aluminum tool box made by Dee Zee. The first night the magazine had the box someone tried to break into it with a crowbar. They mangled the hell out of the box, but were unable to make off with anything, so make sure you lock your toolbox.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 am

i had a friend in highschool that had a jacked up redneck mobile K30 Crewcab pickup with a toolbox. he welded a chain on each side on the bottom and ran them to an eyelet in the bed floor. helped prevent anyone from trying to steal the whole box. as far as opening it with a prybar, he attached a chain to the inside of the lid and had it run through the bottom of the box and secured with a nut and bolt. While it wasnt rocket science, he wanted to make sure he made it as difficult as possible for anyone to get his stuff
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

Spiffums
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Spiffums » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:14 pm

You might want to check local laws. I remember a thread somewhere that devolved into chaos after someone said "false bottom/ hidden compartment". Always better safe than sorry.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Please note I did not say hidden compartment. I said secure lockbox inside the tool box. If you open the toolbox it isn't concealed or hidden, ergo it doesn't fall under hidden compartment laws.

If it did, tossing a duffel bag into a toolbox would be a hidden compartment and we know that ain't true.

If you actually want to conceal a compartment so when the tool box is open you cannot see it in plain sight you should check local listings as to what you are able to put in there. Also note that firearms have their own laws and you should obey then when transporting them.

Have I covered my ass enough? :P

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 pm

I bought a truck last year, and one of the things I want for it is a bed-mount toolbox. I looked around in the retail outlets and wrote down brand names and prices, then went out and looked at the used toolbox market. I couldn't find a single one older than a year old with a lock or latch that wasn't pried open.

The problem with toolboxes is that they were built to hold tools (redundant statement is redundant, but bear with me), and since tools are valuable, they become obvious targets for thieves. Now if you were to get a bed cover, you could keep your shit in an old wooden trunk and just bolt it to the bed somewhere where it won't be seen by everyone walking by.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

moab

Post by moab » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 pm

I used to have a Suzuki Samarai with a lock box under the drivers side door - under the chassis. About the size of a bread box. Like 2'x2'x10". It had a lock on it. Was painted black. And no one ever noticed it. It was almost flush with the outside of the truck. I hid all my tools in there. Even when I had the hard top off or the soft top on. I never got ripped off. Look into steel vehicle lock boxes on google.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

SteelWolf

Post by SteelWolf » Tue May 01, 2018 11:49 pm

One thing you can consider is this.

I keep cheap crappy tools in my truck (Pittsburg from Harbor Freight). My nicer tools (Snap On and Craftsman stuff) stay in my workshop. If they break in and steal a tool box... it will hurt less.
TEMS / Flight Paramedic. NRP, FP-C, TP-C.
OIF / OEF Combat Veteran
Owner / Chief Instructor of Archangel Dynamics, LLC. Come visit us for all of your Medical Preparedness needs!
Do you live in or around Arizona? Come train with us! Firearms, Medical and Survival courses.
https://archangeldynamics.com/

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed May 02, 2018 8:25 am

something like this will give you lots of storage, and be less noticeable.
https://decked.com/

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 am

So many good answers after all these years.

The overwhelming majority of vehicle break-ins where the vehicle is not stolen occur when the vehicle was left unlocked. Lock up your box with a good theft resistant lock and it will likely never get broken in to.

Metal boxes will be more durable and secure on the whole than the polymer ones that are popular but cheaply made.
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Return to “Transportation”