The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

User avatar
Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6640
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:21 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911
Location: Tumblrina City, TX

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Regular Guy wrote:I need to get me a braxton, they seem damn useful. :awesome:
He's like a dystopian, real-life version of the Cat In The Hat. He fucks shit up, and then you start to wonder what the hell is going on, but then when it's all over everything's just handled and you're left standing around like "damn that was slick". 8-)

Congrats on the find, Crypto. That looks like it'll feed the Gladiator well.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...
Image

User avatar
Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 10834
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 10:05 am

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Gingerbread Man » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
Regular Guy wrote:I need to get me a braxton, they seem damn useful. :awesome:
He's like a dystopian, real-life version of the Cat In The Hat. He fucks shit up, and then you start to wonder what the hell is going on, but then when it's all over everything's just handled and you're left standing around like "damn that was slick". 8-)

Congrats on the find, Crypto. That looks like it'll feed the Gladiator well.
Yeah, I spoke with him a bit up at Milcopp II in Ohio. I was like yeah, cool. Then we ran some stages together and I was like, this Braxton right here, he's quite useful. Now I see all this other stuff, I just gotta say, fuck it, I want one. :lol:
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
Image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6038
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by NT2C » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Future ZS charity fundraiser? Auction off Braxton for a day? :mrgreen:

Sent using secret methods known only to squirrels.

And selected hamsters.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:17 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC
Location: Ohio

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Tobias05 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:28 pm

You know you want the Bilsteins. I love mine :awesome:

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6038
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by NT2C » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Tobias05 wrote:You know you want the Bilsteins. I love mine :awesome:
And reasonably priced compared to some lesser brands. Mine ran $75 ea. compared to about $60 ea. for Monroe.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
Blasphemous
* * * * *
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:54 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Blasphemous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Is that Deuce wreck er for sale, or just sitting there? If you're not wanting, I might check it out. I've been feigning for one for a while, I'm tired of picking up extra wheels/tires by hand or with an engine hoist.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010
Image

User avatar
Braxton
* * * * *
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.
Location: Cahokia IL

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Braxton » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Blasphemous wrote:Is that Deuce wreck er for sale, or just sitting there? If you're not wanting, I might check it out. I've been feigning for one for a while, I'm tired of picking up extra wheels/tires by hand or with an engine hoist.
Man, I have seen some fucked up homemade shit in my day.. But this thing takes the cake. If you really wan the contact info, PM me and I will give it to you. It has a Holmes 600 split boom unit, that was grafted on the back. The guy only wanted 2k for it, But that is a headache that I do not need, and don't have the room for.
Image
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

User avatar
Blasphemous
* * * * *
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:54 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Blasphemous » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:40 pm

Braxton wrote:
Blasphemous wrote:Is that Deuce wreck er for sale, or just sitting there? If you're not wanting, I might check it out. I've been feigning for one for a while, I'm tired of picking up extra wheels/tires by hand or with an engine hoist.
Man, I have seen some fucked up homemade shit in my day.. But this thing takes the cake. If you really wan the contact info, PM me and I will give it to you. It has a Holmes 600 split boom unit, that was grafted on the back. The guy only wanted 2k for it, But that is a headache that I do not need, and don't have the room for.
If the truck is running and driving, that alone is worth the $2k if it has a good title. However, I thought you meant a REAL deuce wrecker, not a home brew disaster.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010
Image

User avatar
Braxton
* * * * *
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:12 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: I love them all.
Location: Cahokia IL

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Braxton » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Blasphemous wrote:
Braxton wrote:
Blasphemous wrote:Is that Deuce wreck er for sale, or just sitting there? If you're not wanting, I might check it out. I've been feigning for one for a while, I'm tired of picking up extra wheels/tires by hand or with an engine hoist.
Man, I have seen some fucked up homemade shit in my day.. But this thing takes the cake. If you really wan the contact info, PM me and I will give it to you. It has a Holmes 600 split boom unit, that was grafted on the back. The guy only wanted 2k for it, But that is a headache that I do not need, and don't have the room for.
If the truck is running and driving, that alone is worth the $2k if it has a good title. However, I thought you meant a REAL deuce wrecker, not a home brew disaster.
PM sent..
Image
Jeriah wrote: you are NEVER completely certain of any other human being: not your parents, not your brother, not your wife, nobody.
Actually I think under some circumstances people sometimes don't even know themselves, but that's a bit existential for this thread. :lol:

User avatar
Ducky
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Not because I want to---- Texas----

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Ducky » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:38 pm

Dose that ram have a 12 valve in it?!?!?! If so my vote is to swap it in there. Then get you a dual tank setup and you are ready for the apocolipse. :crazy:

As far as the QT, I think BJs still sells part time conversions for them. From talking to the guys over at FSJ network they seem to really like them.

Also, now might be a good excuse to go with a high steer setup.
:: Lets eat Grandpa! Lets eat, Grandpa! :: Commas, they save lives!
My Ultralight Stove

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16639
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by crypto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:49 pm

The ram has a shitty Chrysler 360 in it and it hasnt run in years. I'm not interested in the motor. Nor am I interested in the TF727 transmission behind it. The day the engine comes out it's getting a diesel and a stick-shift, but I'm not going to start on that project until I have to.


Ive seen the QT part-time kits at BJ's and I might look into that later on, but I'm really not a fan of the QT case. The drive chains are almost $300 each and only sporadically available, which is stupid. I'll be due for a new chain soon, and when added to the part-time kit would be about $700, which seems really stupid money to put into a 40 yo t-case that I dont like.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by MaconCJ7 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:39 pm

married or divorced case?
Image

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16639
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by crypto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Married, which means a $400 adapter to put a NP transfer case on it.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Blasphemous
* * * * *
Posts: 2511
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:54 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:38 pm

If I was closer, I'd take that engine off of your hands. It'd be a hell of an upgrade over the 318 that's in my Dodge now.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010
Image

User avatar
Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 3072
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:35 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Dawgboy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm

The milemarker kit is a waste of time on a QT. No fuel savings will be had, and you need to swap out the hubs too, Which maybe your donor axle already has?
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16639
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by crypto » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:07 pm

The donor axle has the centerline vacuum locker, not manual lockouts. I know that the vacuum lockers get a bad reputation but I really fucking hate manual hubs, too much hassle. I dont mind replacing the vacuum motor to make sure its reliable.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

User avatar
Ducky
* * *
Posts: 369
Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Not because I want to---- Texas----

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Ducky » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:07 am

well, just incase you do decide to go the Part time QT route this should help.
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... f=11&t=379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
although this one is for a 16% OD unit which are nearly imposibul to find now days, the install is the same.
:: Lets eat Grandpa! Lets eat, Grandpa! :: Commas, they save lives!
My Ultralight Stove

User avatar
crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 16639
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:37 pm
Location: City of Saint Louis

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by crypto » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:53 pm

Here's some belated pics of the work last weekend.

Image
Fuck using a jack, this is easier.

Image
No comment necessary.

Image
Image
Image
Cutting the front end out.

Image
Image
Organ harvesting complete.

Image
Old axle on the bottom. New one much better.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Image
Image

Acquisitor
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 11:31 pm
Location: Overland Park, KS

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Acquisitor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:21 pm

I believe that's what my father referred to as a "smokewrench". Keep us updated on the build!

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 6038
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by NT2C » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:30 am

crypto wrote: Image
Old axle on the bottom. New one much better.
Shit! The new one is backwards! Tough break dude.






:mrgreen:

Sent using secret methods known only to squirrels.

And selected hamsters.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except sailors. They will kill you and sing songs about it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
MaconCJ7
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Posts: 2251
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:28 am

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by MaconCJ7 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:03 am

Helluvan upgrade. I didn't realize your old axle was closed knuckle. Sizing looks great.
Image

User avatar
Gauge
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:00 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Post by Gauge » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:55 pm

Watch this space for the continuing adventures of The Cinder Block.

Post Reply

Return to “Transportation”