The Cinder Block Loses a Wheel VIDEO ON P. 15

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Blasphemous

Re: "The Cinder Block" (64 Jeep Gladiator) Update 1/10

Post by Blasphemous » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:09 am

jamoni wrote:I'd go with a medium grey. Several shades darker than that primer. It'll make it look less like a survival truck but still blend pretty well. Keep a couple rattle cans of green and black in the back, instant camo if you need it. :)
I would say a medium to dark grey as well... I'm more along the lines of a battleship to gunmetal shade.
Veteran of Z-Con 2006-2010

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:12 am

Tater Raider wrote:. I'd lean strongly towards one of those if I was you and trying to keep it close to stock, but that's me.

It's got a 4" lift with 33"s, a powertrain from a truck from a decade later, and giant fuck you bumpers. I dont think its gonna be stock anymore.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:21 am

Czechnology wrote:Ordinance Tan (RAL 7028), or Panzer Grey (RAL 7021).

Which one of these is the real RAL 7021?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 am

Blasphemous wrote:
jamoni wrote:I'd go with a medium grey. Several shades darker than that primer. It'll make it look less like a survival truck but still blend pretty well. Keep a couple rattle cans of green and black in the back, instant camo if you need it. :)
I would say a medium to dark grey as well... I'm more along the lines of a battleship to gunmetal shade.

You know, I just went back and read the very first post in this thread from the day I bought it.
crypto wrote: Long term plans are to get the bodywork finished, I'm thinking a satin gunmetal grey with black ZS paint, including the logo on the door.

So, there. Done.

The color on the VW Bug in the last post looks pretty awesome, I'm just not sure about painting a jacked up truck Natzee Gray.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

The Jinxmedic
Favorite Zombie Movies: Titanic

Post by The Jinxmedic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:33 am

A good neutral gray is an excellent compromise color- very low-key in all respects, hides anywhere, and doesn't scream "Survivalist" like a camo paint job would.
Last edited by The Jinxmedic on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Okay, Czechers wins the prize. Natzee grey, Schwarzgrau is the winning color.

MF'N TEAM LEADER

drewder
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: White Zombie (1932 Bella Lugosi)
Dawn of the Dead (new and original)
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
The Return of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (dead by dawn)
Army of Darkness
Grindhouse
Planet Terror
28 days later
28 Weeks Later
I am Legend
The FOG (original, the remake sucked ass)
Resident Evil (the Saga)
Silent Hill
The Phantasm (the SAGA)
Friday the 13th (from start to finish)
Pet Sematary
Night of the Comet

Post by drewder » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:47 pm

crypto wrote:Okay, Czechers wins the prize. Natzee grey, Schwarzgrau is the winning color.
You going to give it a Hitler-stache too? Black racing stripe on the hood?
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:19 pm

crypto wrote:Okay, Czechers wins the prize. Natzee grey, Schwarzgrau is the winning color.

8-)
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:53 pm

You gonna go with the Super Sport package?
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Anything but the Hugo Boss interior package.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

drewder
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: White Zombie (1932 Bella Lugosi)
Dawn of the Dead (new and original)
Day of the Dead
Night of the Living Dead
The Return of the Living Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Evil Dead
Evil Dead 2 (dead by dawn)
Army of Darkness
Grindhouse
Planet Terror
28 days later
28 Weeks Later
I am Legend
The FOG (original, the remake sucked ass)
Resident Evil (the Saga)
Silent Hill
The Phantasm (the SAGA)
Friday the 13th (from start to finish)
Pet Sematary
Night of the Comet

Post by drewder » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:40 pm

crypto wrote:Anything but the Hugo Boss interior package.

Um, I thought you said the interior would be made of seal and crocodile, with chinchilla carpet and mink middle inserts. The headliner would be made of pure white Alaskan Husky fur. The steering wheel would have marble inserts and Florida gator skin. The top would be made from eel and a 50/50 chihauha/chameleon lizard skin. And members of PETA would die of shock when they saw it!!!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

*even the wise man dwells in a fool's paradise

Survived ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon X
Survived ZombieCon X
Stayed toasty warm at ZSC:001 Winterg(h)eddon Twenty Eleven
Barely survived ZombieCon 2011

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 pm

drewder wrote:

Um, I thought you said the interior would be made of seal and crocodile, with chinchilla carpet and mink middle inserts. The headliner would be made of pure white Alaskan Husky fur. The steering wheel would have marble inserts and Florida gator skin. The top would be made from eel and a 50/50 chihauha/chameleon lizard skin. And members of PETA would die of shock when they saw it!!!
Hot pink, with whale skin hubcaps and all leather cow interior and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights. Yeah! And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115 miles an hour, getting 1 mile per gallon, sucking down quarter pounder cheeseburgers from McDonald's in the old-fashioned non- biodegradable Styrofoam containers! And when I'm done suckin' down those grease ball burgers I'm gonna wipe my mouth on the American flag and then toss the Styrofoam containers right out the side, and there ain't a God-damned thing anybody can do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why!

Two words--nuclear fucking weapons, OK? Russia, Germany, Romania - they can have all the democracy they want. They can have a democracy cakewalk right through the middle of Tiananmen Square and it won't make a lick of difference, because we’ve got the bombs, OK? John Wayne's not dead - he's frozen! And when we find a cure for cancer, we're gonna thaw out the Duke and he's gonna be pretty pissed off. You know why? You ever taken a cold shower? Well, multiply that by 15 million times. That's how pissed off the Duke's gonna be.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

nateted4
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by nateted4 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Raptor wrote:Carrying weapons openly and dressing in cammies (even if legal in the area) will get you killed.
Kommander wrote:So now ... we [are] worried that we may be faced with multiple heavily armed and armoured assailants in our day to day life ... I must have accidentally stumbled into the Somalia chapter subform or something.

darius379

Post by darius379 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 am

Crypto love this truck if i had any mech ability you could almost get me to trade the X
I come for the BOVS and stay for the ZOMBIES

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:39 am

Man I am getting Leary of this thread. Or I find this thread makes me DLeary-ious
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Kinda update: Braxton needed the paint booth so they threw the bed back on:

Thats all just primer, the paint will be the aforementioned dark grey.

I am absolutely loving how this is going to look.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Turtlewolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Almost all of them........some suck balls though.

Post by Turtlewolf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 am

Now that is a truck!
cheers
------------------------------------------------------
Save a life, delete a Face Book account today.
You can drop your knife, loose your rifle but keep an eye on your axe.
Humanity does not survive alone.

Vicarious_Lee
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:50 am

Holy Shit, Crypto. This thread delivers and delivers. Your truck is amazing and I'm officially a fan of it.

Also of the kind, fun, generous and awesome guy Braxton, but that needs not be said anyway.

/moderate homo.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Crypto's Project BOV: "The Brick" (64 Jeep Gladiator)

Post by SMoAF » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:49 am

Czechnology wrote: "That a rental?"
"What the fu.... yeah."
"You pay for insurance?"
"...yeah."
"Good thing for both of us. Here's $20, my truck is fine. Have a nice day."
Heh. Many years ago, I drove a Mercedes 450 SEL that I'd picked up cheap from an Air Force O-5 that he'd managed to bring home from Germany without the benefit of all that silly environmental stuff. It ran like a scalded ape, looked like a mafia staff car, and I loved it. One day in stop and go traffic, I was rear-ended. The guy who hit me and I drove off the bridge and into the first exit to check our vehicles. His front end was dished in a bit, by my vehicle only had a couple of small friction marks on it. I was dressed as I normally dressed back then, which was not exactly "reputably". After inspecting it and ascertaining that it was a "no harm, no foul" situation, I made eye contact with the other driver, and said: "Don't worry, it's stolen" and then hopped back in it and took off. The look on his face was priceless. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's toNo the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 pm

crypto wrote:
Tater Raider wrote:. I'd lean strongly towards one of those if I was you and trying to keep it close to stock, but that's me.
It's got a 4" lift with 33"s, a powertrain from a truck from a decade later, and giant fuck you bumpers. I dont think its gonna be stock anymore.
Phft. Details...

Bodywork is at stock so that's what I was going off of, but the color you picked is a winner and like you said, stock is somewhere in the rearview mirror. No worries. And it's awesome how Braxton is helping you out too.

Is it wrong that this thread arouses me? I think not.

Gauge
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gauge » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:18 am

drewder wrote:

I know a guy who could make most of that happen. The whole interior of Corey's jeep is ostrich and alligator with the exception of a few pieces of exotic wood.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:20 am

Seat covers:

http://www.regretsy.com/2011/01/21/csi-my-hammy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:41 pm

That has Richard Gere all over it.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 am

Today we started cleaning out the gas tank. The tank is in remarkably good shape for being 50 years old, the outside is either unrusted white steel or coated in asphalt undercoat spray. The inside looks like most old gas tanks. Some minor rust spots on the top half, and 50 years of sludge and varnish on the bottom half.

So, how to get it out? I had an idea from cleaning out old motorcycle tanks, but on a larger scale.

STEP ONE: ADD LOTS OF GRAVEL.

No kidding, this works. Steps two and three were to add half a dozen shop rags and a gallon of MEK to the tank.

we started sloshing the tank around, using the gravel as a light abrasive and to give weight to the shop towels as the MEK dissolved the sludge and varnished gunk on the tank.

Well, a 17-gal tank full of rocks and methyl ethyl death gets heavy, so we came up with plan b:

We strapped the tank to braxtons 4-wheeler and took turns riding it out over a rough field next to his shop.

The tank looks completely different post scouring. The varnish and much of the rust is gone. Whats left, I'll passivate the rust and then hit with a tank sealer, and call it done. The outside, Im going to just degrease, pressure wash, and recoat with rubberized undercoat spray.

I'll try to bring a better camera next time so you can see what the inside of the tank looks like now, its remarkable.

A big plus one to bad ideas, and successfully pulling them off without blowing ourselves up.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

Return to “Transportation”