What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KS Trekker
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I Am Legend, Army of Darkness, The Crazies, Dusk 'til Dawn (yeah, it's a Vampire flick but does it matter whether they suck your blood or eat your flesh?), The Stand.

Re: What did you today for your BOV/how did you prepare your

Post by KS Trekker » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 am

6UNF1GHTER wrote:I didn't do anything mechanical or fab wise to to my rig, but I just bought something that could be useful for the BOV or on foot.
Midland 75-822 CB.

Once it arrives, I'll be planning this in order:
1. Work out the best setup for permanent (vehicle mounted) COMMS.
2. Figure out fixed antenna placement.
3. Install secondary AUX +12v socket on dash.
4. Clean up the mess under the dash, test and install CB.
5. Mod some things from there as needed. 8)

T-
I've got a Midland 75-822. Awesome CB radio. I use a Firestik antenna mounted on a magnetic base.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:17 am

KS Trekker wrote:I have a Pelican case that I can throw in my BOV that has most of the essentials:

- Various hand tools
- Bungee cords and tie downs
- 12v air compressor
- Jumper cables
- Glock spade/saw
- Poncho liner
- Overalls
- 12v magnetic light
- Tire repair kit
- Recovery strap, tree saver, and shackles

thats a great little setup you got there!
2008 F-250 6.4 Powerstroke -Zombie Squad fleet number ZS0149
Owner of Zombie Diesel Performance
"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

srodocker
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Resident Evil series
28 days later
28 weeks later

Post by srodocker » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:35 am

hey heres my BOV

adding tools all the time. adding 100w 24v h4 bulbs this week. also adding a pyrometer so i can turn up the fuel. next month are the new 46" tires instead of the 40" stock military tires. hopefully on monday pricing out square tubing for a roof rack and a civi hitch. also going to do black camo to break up the green some.
hi im scott
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p1816590" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Deuce and a half and trailer camper build

http://shoot4thehead.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
send a pm if any questions!

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:32 pm

KS Trekker, I admire your kit. FWIW, I got a few Q's
-How much did that Pelican box run you? ~$200?
-Is that one of the bucket boss bags from Deluth Trading or Expedition Exchange? If so how do you like it?
-Is that a Viair portable compressor?

But anyway, you have a really kickass, all-bases-covered kit. Might want to throw in some tire plugs since you have a portable compressor to refill tires.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Since we had snow & hopefully more coming...

new winter wipers blades
rain X de-icer windshield washer fluid
also an oil change even though 3000 miles was not there
had the 4x4 driveshafts greased, just in case

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:16 pm

Yesterday, did a flush and fill.....
Ya it needed it. :mrgreen:
Today,
Checked and topped off air in tires including spare.
Checked all my recovery rigging for fraying, rips or other damage.
Put a bit of never seaze on the threads of my shackles (Trying to get the pin out of a shackle wile freezing your balls off sucks)
Realized my leafs are fanning. (Oops forgot to make new clamps)
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Cletus Vandamme

Post by Cletus Vandamme » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:44 pm

Not a whole helluva lot. Tested some cheap canned chili to make sure that it tasted ok, and that others would like it. Chili is highly overlooked as a food item for disaster. You get a lot of the shit you need from it, dietary wise, it's filling, and contrary to popular belief, won't make you crap your pants unless you have Crohn's.
http://crossingthegoal.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6UNF1GHTER
Favorite Zombie Movies: I need to actually watch more of them before I can answer this.

Post by 6UNF1GHTER » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:48 pm

KS Trekker:
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about that radio.. and it's capabilities so I'm looking forward to trying it out.
Oh BTW, I'm pretty sure Tperkins already asked what brand those tool-rolls/bucket bags are, so I wanna know too! Right now I've got all my smaller hand tools in one of those el-cheapo plastic toolboxes with the handle on top... sucks for organization, and weighs enough now that it's not gonna last long.
Next thing on the list I guess.

Hey Oneswunk.... your stuff is looking like it has a little buildup... good on ya for flushing the pipes!
-------------------------------
Talked to a shop-owner here about putting both of the old 20 gallon saddle tanks from my rig into the dipper for a few days, to boil out the rust and funk.
Next thing to do is: Slosh some tank liner in them.. hit the outsides with POR-15 and run the fuel delivery hardlines/valving.
(likely will not be completed until spring here)
Great thread!

over-thinking * over-analyzing
separates the body from the mind.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 am

Oneswunk i cannot even identify what that was in your radiator.... that was nasty.. thank god you got that out of your motor!

KS Trekker
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I Am Legend, Army of Darkness, The Crazies, Dusk 'til Dawn (yeah, it's a Vampire flick but does it matter whether they suck your blood or eat your flesh?), The Stand.

Post by KS Trekker » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Tperkins wrote:KS Trekker, I admire your kit. FWIW, I got a few Q's
-Is that one of the bucket boss bags from Deluth Trading or Expedition Exchange? If so how do you like it?

But anyway, you have a really kickass, all-bases-covered kit. Might want to throw in some tire plugs since you have a portable compressor to refill tires.
$200 sounds about what I paid. It's the Pelican 1650 wheeled case. I know they are pricey, but I just love Pelican cases for their durability and versatility. The wrench and tool roll along with the bag are all Bucket Boss that I bought off of Amazon. I think the air compressor is the Viair brand. I think I got it at Costco for around $50. I removed the alligator clips and wired it for my 7-wire trailer hitch plug.

Tperkins

Post by Tperkins » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:27 pm

KS Trekker wrote:
Tperkins wrote:KS Trekker, I admire your kit. FWIW, I got a few Q's

$200 sounds about what I paid. It's the Pelican 1650 wheeled case. I know they are pricey, but I just love Pelican cases for their durability and versatility. The wrench and tool roll along with the bag are all Bucket Boss that I bought off of Amazon. I think the air compressor is the Viair brand. I think I got it at Costco for around $50. I removed the alligator clips and wired it for my 7-wire trailer hitch plug.
Very nice. Yeah, the Pelican stuff is awesome, I have a 1150 for my DSLR and a 1450 w/o foam for Misc gear. I'd love to get a pair or two to strap stuff down in my truck bed for camping/bugout. $50 for a Viair compressor is a good deal, they make really nice compressors. I am split between buying one of their ~$100 portable ones, or plumbing in a hardwired one and mounting it under the truck, it'd be a fun project.

Edit to add info for On-Topic: First "Cold Start" in my truck today, temps were about 5*F, and it started right up with near-normal speed. Minimal belt squeal, and some odd noises, but not unusual in this cold of weather. Parking outside sucks, especially since I helped my dad build our insulated, heated, air conditioned 2-car garage, while my mom parks her crappy rusted out Mazda MPV in it. I think when I go to Wyoming for school, I'm going to find a way to install a block heater.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

WESBC

Post by WESBC » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:11 pm

If you are so inclined on getting a good deal on a Pelican you can scan the local Craigslist ads for a few weeks. I found a 1650 for $80, they have third party sites that search multiple areas making CL surfing a lot easier (crazedlist is what I use)

That Costco compressor is definitely not Viair, it is a Chinese brand that has been rebranded under many names. It's called the Masterflow MF-1050. I've had about 4 of those but finally got to a ViAir 380c after getting tired of returning them after they died on me. Two had leaky hoses, and the other two couldn't handle the work I was throwing at it. I was using it to fill up my air tank at least once a day up to 120psi for a few months. It was good while it lasted, but is nowhere near the quality of a Viair. For once in a while tire fill up's its great for the price, but for something to be used daily, it won't last that long.

robonator
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them.

Post by robonator » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:23 am

Repacked my truck's emergency bag. Added cold weather clothing and hand warmers. Then picked up a large tac-box to blatantly rip off KS Trekker. :lol: Inside went: 7.5 gallons of water, new jumper cables, one of those self-jump batteries, new tow straps, a set of ratchet straps, Slime, a 12x12 tarp and some collapsible tent poles for an impromptu sunshade idea I'm going to test out Sunday. I also picked up new windshield wipers.
당신의 포스트 조사가 2500 이상 있는 경우에, 당신은 아마 형사이다

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:57 pm

Got my new 33's today and had them installed.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

KS Trekker

Post by KS Trekker » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:14 am

WESBC wrote:If you are so inclined on getting a good deal on a Pelican you can scan the local Craigslist ads for a few weeks. I found a 1650 for $80, they have third party sites that search multiple areas making CL surfing a lot easier (crazedlist is what I use)

That Costco compressor is definitely not Viair, it is a Chinese brand that has been rebranded under many names. It's called the Masterflow MF-1050. I've had about 4 of those but finally got to a ViAir 380c after getting tired of returning them after they died on me. Two had leaky hoses, and the other two couldn't handle the work I was throwing at it. I was using it to fill up my air tank at least once a day up to 120psi for a few months. It was good while it lasted, but is nowhere near the quality of a Viair. For once in a while tire fill up's its great for the price, but for something to be used daily, it won't last that long.
My bad, it's not a Viair, it's the cheapo Masterflow. I plug it in, air goes in the tire. 'Nuff said. I don't know that it was ever designed for anything more than occasional use. I've carried it on all my excursions, so I think I got my $50 out of it.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:36 pm

Plugged a hole in my tire. Fucking roofers left a trail of them down my street. :evil:
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 am

KS Trekker wrote:I have a Pelican case that I can throw in my BOV that has most of the essentials:

- Various hand tools
- Bungee cords and tie downs
- 12v air compressor
- Jumper cables
- Glock spade/saw
- Poncho liner
- Overalls
- 12v magnetic light
- Tire repair kit
- Recovery strap, tree saver, and shackles
I have those exact same bucket boss tool/wrench rolls
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 am

Caenus wrote:Got my new 33's today and had them installed.
285/75 BFG AT's? I'm interested to see if they mow much they change your mileage. Mine has the 5.3with 3.73 gears, I went from the stock crappy bridgestone duelers at 265/75 (32") to the BFG 285/75 (33") and dropped from 21mpg to 17mpg.

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:13 am

wow that much of a drop for little tire increase? damn.. forgot how vulnerable gas motors are to weight and stuff

keep the stuff coming guys

i ordered up some smittybilt tubular side steps, all new tailgate hardware and some new fuel filter bowl drain o-rings as mine started leaking bad...

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:24 pm

It was a change in size as well as going from 2ply p rated to the 6 or 8 (I forget which) ply LT rated, and a lot more traction. Those BFG's are heavy.
I put the battery tray in from the diesel trucks for my secondary battery, cb radio and other gear all run from it.

cauldron

Post by cauldron » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Lastnight we started going through he car in preporation for doing the suspension upgrade.

The front A arm bushings are the wrong size. I need another set of bushings for the rear suspension, the kit did not come with the upper rear bshings.

We changed spark plugs, new rear speakers, hotter thermostat (190 from a 160), cleaned out the windshield washer nozzle, added trans fluid, and oiled the car.

I should have the new four link rear suspension installed before new year.
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:08 pm

TX Trinity got me a Husky 2gal air compressor for Christmas. I got to open it early since I had some tire issues lately and she was tired of me pulling up the cushions in the couches to find quarters!

Yay me.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:57 am

Caenus wrote:TX Trinity got me a Husky 2gal air compressor for Christmas. I got to open it early since I had some tire issues lately and she was tired of me pulling up the cushions in the couches to find quarters!

Yay me.

very nice i am envious....

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Pulled off the driver's side door panel. Going to redo the interior, plus there is an issue with the functioning of that window. A bracket is broken in the window mechanism so I am going to have to pull it out and figure out how to fix it.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Return to “Transportation”