It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:06 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

moab wrote:
rbeau30 wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
teotwaki wrote:
MOAR on the BOT please
I second the motion.

I built it from an M116A2 trailer. took it down to the frame, and helped my buddy build it. I basically learned how to weld on this thing. Everything from the frame up has been added. I got some custom canvas put on it, and a tepui tent on the top. works wonderfully as a camping trailer. I loaded it up with everything to make camp, and have extra room to spare for food and other perishables to grab and go. It is sprayed in its entirety with Line-x coating.

Here are some more pics of it as it progressed.

Pictures right after the Canvas was installed.

Before canvas, but with tent deployed.

Before Canvas, tent stowed.

Trailer pretty much as close as it is today, but before My excursion had the Aluminess Bumper.

Tow Vehicle by itself as it is today.

How much was that bumper? And was it all outfitted like that when you bought it?

The bumper only was about 2100. The boxes are 600 each. Typically, folks put a spare tire on one side but I am going to put the spare on the front bumper when I get it beginning of the year.

Aluminess.com

Call Letters:
Technician: W5HTF
I monitor WØCRA Repeater 145.145 PL 107.5, and 146.550 Simplex

GMRS: WQRT338
I monitor Channel 14

NRA Life Member
DAV Life Member
VFW (Post 1) Life Member

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 pm 

Drove it like I stole it then refueled it. Richmond & back (about 100 miles) averaging 24mpg at 10 over the limit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:38 am 

Bumper and winch installed this weekend.

It will be a while before I do any more major updates. Need to let the funds replentish :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:50 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

NamelessStain wrote:
Bumper and winch installed this weekend.

It will be a while before I do any more major updates. Need to let the funds replentish :)

I heard that. I've had to spend half my emergency fund since the beginning of this month. :(

Dragon Savers!
Golden Dragons!
Tropic Lightning!
Duty! Honor! Country!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:49 am 

Took the FJ out into the marshes this weekend. She didn't even flinch, she didn't even fishtail though the heavy mud.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm 

My ball joint separator / pickle fork arrived today. That will allow me to check the tie rod ends on the 89 F350 and replace the thoroughly trashed boots.

Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:05 pm 

So I have to get my oil pan gasket replaced. On my 2007 GMC Yukon XL. Guess how much? $700+!!! Cause it's a 4x4 and the front differential has to come out in order to get to it. Something I can't do in my driveway. Big slant and city is anal.

So I'm getting the best gasket money can buy. Fel-pro. Pretty heavy duty gaskets. I'm hoping it holds like forever!

*Unless someone has a better suggestion?*

Then it's time for new tires. That'll set me back another seven bills or at least 550. Ugh. I really just want to put a roof rack and spare tire/gas can tailgate on. And start building this into a BOV. But I think I may go junkyarding for that stuff. I live about 10 miles from the largest collection of junkyards on the westcoast - Sun City CA! Just North of LA. If I can find some 4x4's wrecked with stuff on them.

I looked into those sliding drawers you can fit in like a false floor. But man are those expensive. We're talking thousands of dollars. Someone in China has to rip those off. Or if I could find an old LE suburban that's been tricked out and wrecked or the motors blown. We've got a couple LE lots here too.

About the only thing going for LA is car parts. I swear.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:20 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:

Then it's time for new tires. That'll set me back another seven bills or at least 550.

What tires you thinking about?

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:29 pm 

JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:

Then it's time for new tires. That'll set me back another seven bills or at least 550.

Everytime I research them with consumerreports.com and then tirerack.com for price. They end up being out of stock. I want all terrain. Looking at Yokohama now. Before that I had a set of Pirellis picked out. As you may recall I'm moving back to the PNW next summer. So I want something that will handle the snow and mountains in 4 wheel drive.

I found some pretty good ones. I usually go for Michelin on my other cars. Best warranty and best tires I've ever run. But either they don't make All Terrain or they're way to expensive.

Consumer reports is the only place I trust. But I do read the reviews on tirerack. They seem to be legit. Not all good. Not all bad.

EDIT - Was looking at these or similar:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... toModClar=

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:10 pm 

Brought the F350 into a friends shop to have everything tested just to see where I stand and see if anything needs to be done.

I take good care of it, check fluids, leave mats under to see if there's any drips or anything and nothing. However I noticed when hauling heavy loads it starts this weird hollow sounding whine. Doesn't seem to effect anything, it sounds like the airbox has been removed and you can hear the air getting sucked in. So brought it to them to check out and I just got the email back.

About $4500 worth of work needs to be done. I think this truck just broke me of my Ford bias. There's a laundry list of things that need to be done the most severe is the rear dif, apparently on the top of it there's a crack, cant be seen unless you use a mirror and are looking for it. So most of the grease in it has fowled and burnt off. They cant find the whine I originally brought it in for but it's only when hauling the boat or a bed full of wood.

I could go on, but yeah. Not happy, but at least they have a lifetime warranty on their work and are giving me a bit of a "homie hookup" with the labor. So it's mostly parts and enough to cover the labor.

Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:26 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

moab wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
moab wrote:

Everytime I research them with consumerreports.com and then tirerack.com for price. They end up being out of stock. I want all terrain. Looking at Yokohama now. Before that I had a set of Pirellis picked out. As you may recall I'm moving back to the PNW next summer. So I want something that will handle the snow and mountains in 4 wheel drive.

I found some pretty good ones. I usually go for Michelin on my other cars. Best warranty and best tires I've ever run. But either they don't make All Terrain or they're way to expensive.

Consumer reports is the only place I trust. But I do read the reviews on tirerack. They seem to be legit. Not all good. Not all bad.

EDIT - Was looking at these or similar:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... toModClar=

Well, I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but since opinion's are like buttholes... I thought I'd share my butthole... errr I mean opinion with you.

Michelin's are awesome. Especially for highway tires with heavy vehicles. But you're right, they really don't have an all terrain.... but alas, there is a solution. Our good friends, BFGoodrich, the Baja champions, are owned by our "French tyre" friends (Michelin). Yes, expensive, but the BFG A/T KO2 tires are wonderful. There are other BFG all terrains that are not as aggressive, but they are not "mountain snowflake" certified (which I think is a good standard... not gold standard).

Also check out General Grabber AT2s. I love mine so much. But then again, my Jeeps are light vehicles compared to your suburban. I think they are a good budget alternative to the BFG.

I also love Cooper tires and their affiliates (Mastercraft, Hercules) but I know people who tow who had bad luck with Coopers on heavy vehicles. Also, the AT3 pattern is slippery on wet roads at times, so I wouldn't recommend them, especially on a big vehicle in the PNW.

I would stay away from Goodyear. They suck. I hate them. Everyone I know hates them (we are all geniuses). NASCAR doesn't hate them, because they are paid to like them. I almost died (not really) because of Goodyear tires.

I have no experience with Yokohama, Falken, Hankook, or Kuhmo. But I know all are pretty decent from endless videos (I love rubber things) that I have watched. I almost bought Hankook Dynapro ATMs. I know some fleet trucks (so heavy and abusive) run them to great success. I really like the Falken AT3W tires, they will probably be my next tire to test out. Not sure if they make your size though and I'm too lazy to check.

Wildcard: ProComp A/T Sports... Yes, ProComp may be known for their shitty white shocks and bro-dozer-licious vehicles (yes, lots of Monster energy stickers and flat bill hats), but their tires can take a beating. I would say 50% of my rock crawling buddies run their rubber on their trail vehicles. Now, I never used the A/T Sports, but ProComp tires have come a really long way the last 10 years. You might get lucky with a deal on some from 4wheelparts or their affiliate 4wdhardware.

https://www.procompusa.com/at-sport

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:32 pm 

I liked my Toyo AT's, love the BFG TA KO2's a LOT more.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 pm 

BFG A/T KO2 a bit to expensive for my blood. I'm hoping to come in around 600-700 with installation.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:06 pm 

moab wrote:
BFG A/T KO2 a bit to expensive for my blood. I'm hoping to come in around 600-700 with installation.
I paid $725 for my set plus $60 install, shipped too.

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:01 am 

Dragon80 wrote:
moab wrote:
I paid $725 for my set plus $60 install, shipped too.

I'll have to look for sales. Maybe Christmas isn't the best time. I'm seeing $225 a piece.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 pm 

Used my new pickle fork and took the inner tie rod end off my Pitman arm on the truck today. That was a first - learning as I go, mostly from YouTube. hahahaha

I can move that one tie rod end around with my hand, so I expect all of them to be the same. Pretty clear I'm going to need all new rods.

Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:56 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Had a good trip in the Burb a few months ago, to Chattanooga, with no issues.
Next week, gonna take a proper shakedown run to NM to visit my family.

I'm not too worried about it... Bob's been pretty reliable so far.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 809 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34