manual or automatic

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

manual or automatic

manual
63%
automatic
38%

Total votes: 8

big stoner

manual or automatic

Post by big stoner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:19 am

What one do you perfer

i love my stick shift because I think autos are for poor drivers
Last edited by big stoner on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: manual or automatic

Post by SMoAF » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:23 am

I like manuals. Thank you.
Last edited by SMoAF on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:26 am

Sounds more like trolling than an honest question.... :roll:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

big stoner

Post by big stoner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:28 am

dukman wrote:Sounds more like trolling than an honest question.... :roll:
its not trolling im intrested to see what ZS members like to drive

dukman

Post by dukman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 am

Well, it sounded like trolling before the edit....

I am not picky... It really depends on where I am going to be driving. I drove through downtown Tacoma WA once and regretted having a 5-speed in the car I was driving. :oops: Most anyone from the :005 will know what I am talking about :mrgreen: It is nice to have the option to bump start if the battery goes dead tho 8)
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

big stoner

Post by big stoner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:05 am

dukman wrote:Well, it sounded like trolling before the edit....

I am not picky... It really depends on where I am going to be driving. I drove through downtown Tacoma WA once and regretted having a 5-speed in the car I was driving. :oops: Most anyone from the :005 will know what I am talking about :mrgreen: It is nice to have the option to bump start if the battery goes dead tho 8)
i apologize for that i copy and pasted this topic from another fourm that i post on and i realized after that you guys have a stricter code of conduct and yes i do curse my stick in stop and go traffic

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:17 am

I've never been able to push-start an automatic.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

big stoner

Post by big stoner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:40 am

SMoAF wrote:I've never been able to push-start an automatic.
because you cant manual only

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:08 am

Depends on the application.

northernxposure

Post by northernxposure » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 am

You drive a manual.

You steer an automatic.

Which makes more sense when awkwardly text messaging and doing a thousand other cliche's of inattentive automobile use.

NXP

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:48 am

Poll doesn't work in this skin,
but I prefer an automatic - much easier on arthritic hands.
There are enough things to do that require hurting my hands, driving doesn't need to be one of them.
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Dooms

Post by Dooms » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:01 am

While I still love rowing my own gears, I have to say that the latest generation of automatic transmissions is quite impressive. They get better fuel economy than their manual counterparts, they tend to be quicker at the track (thanks to faster shifting and less parasitic horsepower loss than in the past), and reliability/dependability is very high. They also typically carry higher torque ratings, which is why a lot of vehicles with manual transmissions have their engines detuned vs. their automatic counterpart. Even the guys that run big fleets of medium and heavy duty trucks have no problem telling me how much they love running automatics now.......the biggest reasons being, they spend less time in the shop for repairs and return better fuel economy on average. In fact, the acceptance level has been so high that Ford and Gm have dropped manual transmissions from their full size pickup trucks completely.

The other obvious benefit of an automatic transmission is that anyone and their mother can drive it. I feel like that's a major upside, especially for a vehicle that might be used for bugging out or whatever. With the overall decline of manual transmissions stateside, it wont be long before knowing how to work a clutch pedal becomes a lost art here. That can be a big problem if there is an emergency and someone other than you has to drive your vehicle.

With this in mind, I've come to the conclusion that my daily driver/bug-out vehicle will always be automatic. It's not as much of a disadvantage as it used to be, as automatics are continuing to evolve; whereas manual transmissions have pretty much stagnated. On the other hand, my vehicles that are toys (i.e. driven for my enjoyment) will be stick, simply because, well, I find it enjoyable.

Actually, one of my most enjoyable vehicles to drive has two sticks. Fun? Yes. However, two sticks and no syncros means your average person (even someone who has experience with a typical manual transmission) is going to have a hell of a time with it.

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:09 am

^Dooms alludes to the only benefit to a manual transmission I foresee.

It may be less likely to be stolen as the newer generation of people are less and less likely to have been taught how to drive a stick.

The first vehicle I ever drove was a Minneapolis Moline tractor, though at first I only ever used the lowest gear :P Anyways, I learned how to drive a stick very young, but I realize how uncommon that is nowadays.

It -could- be seen as a -possible- theft deterrent, no matter how small the liklihood of it making a difference is. It -might- be the difference between a smash-n-grab and a stolen car... who knows?

Otherwise, I see no other benefit.

Wolfe4086
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Dead Series
Zombii Series
Cemetary Man
Zombieland

Post by Wolfe4086 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:00 am

Automatic simply for the fact that driving a stick in Philly Rush Hour traffic is infuriating.
"The price of failure is to be paid for in blood" Sensei Yamashita - Tanaka Corporation School of Assassins

dukman

Post by dukman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:19 am

big stoner wrote:
dukman wrote:I drove through downtown Tacoma WA once and regretted having a 5-speed in the car I was driving. :oops
and yes i do curse my stick in stop and go traffic
It isn't the stop and go that had me cursing... it was the steep uphill stoplights :mrgreen:

Yeti

Post by Yeti » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 am

Both.
I like both.
Depends on what I'm doing.
Yeti

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:30 am

I drive a standard.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

maddmatt

Post by maddmatt » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 am

I currently drive a manual, my next vehicle will be an automatic.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:04 pm

I, uh, I don't know how to drive a manual. I mean, I think I have a not-entirely-incorrect grasp of how to do it in theory, but... :oops:

I don't think that I know anyone who has a car with a manual transmission, who is willing to let me learn on it. And also, I have a (probably) unreasonable fear that the moment that I did something wrong with shifting, the transmission or clutch would, like, fall out or explode or something.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:11 pm

I know I lost a few important brain cells in the hospital but if I am having a clear memory here you can jump start an automatic but it has to be in reverse, roll backwards and pop into reverse. I seem to remember doing this with a car I owned.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:12 pm

Face it: Manual vs. Automatic today is like film vs. digital movie making. The only reason you'd use film is for nostalgia reasons. Same with a manual transmission. There used to be a gas mileage advantage, but that's at parity now. Even for pure high performance, any vehicle with paddle shift is faster than it's manual counterpart (Ferarris and Porsches).

That said: If your Mustang, Camaro, or Corvette has an automatic, you are a communist.
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:13 pm

Stick, and I would let you learn on my car shrapnel, I've probably taught a half dozen people on my little mustang (very easy compared to the truck I learned with). Anybody that expresses any interest gets a chance in a (preferably flat) empty parking lot.

Still, my wife generally will not drive my car, she just doesn't like it, but at least she can.
zXzGrifterzXz wrote: "An Armed Society is a polite society, unless they are talking on the Internet......then they are total bastards to each other."

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:14 pm

I probably have lost all remembrance of how to drive a stick. I remember when I was 19 and driving ice trucks.. they were all automatics, except two of the three shit bricks one day, and the boss went and bought a 80s chevy with a big block and glass packs so we could make the deliveries and not piss off customers. Well it was a stick. I get in, figuring it'll all come back to me... and go to start it up, and every crank of the engine sent the truck lurching forward.

DOH

Forgot that little detail about checking to see if it's still in gear...

So I figure that I'll never forget -that- mistake, but there's likely something else I will forget until I make a dumb mistake... knowledge is one of those things... you either use it or lose it, as they say.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I own a manual. I have driven both and like both.

The main reason I like my manual truck now is that it gives me an excuse to not talk on a cell phone as I need the other hand to shift 8)
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

Return to “Transportation”