Fixing my sagging headliner.

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Sedvan
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28days later, 28 weeks later, dawn of the dead.

Fixing my sagging headliner.

Post by Sedvan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:31 pm

I have a old buick from the 00 era and it runs well. Only problem is, the little things always break on. This time it's my headliner. So far I've tried the 3m spray adhesive and that sucked. I've tried using pins from the dress shorts i've bought to keep it up.

It still looks like crap. Is there anything that anyone has done that actually works?

driftking777
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD (2004), RE 1 -3.

Re: Fixing my sagging headliner.

Post by driftking777 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:10 pm

3m if done correctly should work.

otherwise take it to a upholstery shop
Lucas_061287 wrote:I know this much- 1/2" recoil pad on a .375H&H is about as useful as putting inflatable floaties on a Ford Crown Vic loaded with bags of sand that you intend on driving into a lake.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:26 pm

The 3m glue works, but you have to replace the fabric. If you glue the old back up then it just pulls off of another layer and you'll see that a bunch of the foam stayed glued to the hard part. Find a fabric store, local to me is jo-ann fabrics and crafts, they sell headliner by the yard, scrape the old stuff off then glue the new on.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Sedvan wrote:I have a old buick from the 00 era and it runs well. Only problem is, the little things always break on. This time it's my headliner. So far I've tried the 3m spray adhesive and that sucked. I've tried using pins from the dress shorts i've bought to keep it up.

It still looks like crap. Is there anything that anyone has done that actually works?
Yeah. Completely pull out the liner. Then scrape off all of the foam padding from the liner and the shell above it. Buy foam or plastic padding from a carpet store, glue it to the shell, then glue the liner back on to the padding.

There's no real quick fix for falling headliner.
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

2005RedTJ

Post by 2005RedTJ » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:10 pm

darkaxel wrote:
Sedvan wrote:I have a old buick from the 00 era and it runs well. Only problem is, the little things always break on. This time it's my headliner. So far I've tried the 3m spray adhesive and that sucked. I've tried using pins from the dress shorts i've bought to keep it up.

Yeah. Completely pull out the liner. Then scrape off all of the foam padding from the liner and the shell above it. Buy foam or plastic padding from a carpet store, glue it to the shell, then glue the liner back on to the padding.

There's no real quick fix for falling headliner.
This. I worked for an auto upholstery shop years ago and saw people bring in cars they'd tried everything on, and I mean everything. There's not really a shortcut for doing it right.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:16 pm

It ain't purdy, but I just used staples on my 85 Griswold Mobile. Pulled it as tight as I could and tried to make them less obvious around the sides.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

bonanacrom

Post by bonanacrom » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Happened to my old buick regal. I removed the headliner and painted the roof. I miss that car.
The deeper you go in the forest the more things there are to eat your horse. Image

ZombieSoldier01
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ZombieSoldier01 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:34 am

i did the above on my 82 bronco and it worked great. also gives you a chance to do a custom touch such as leopard or zebra stripes... lol j/p

have you fixed yours yet? if so what is your results?

"Zombies... Coming to eat a friend near you.."

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:31 pm

you cant repair the existing fabric.

Pull down the headliner, scrape all the old glue/padding off it, and hit the whole thing with spray-on rhinoliner :D
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:25 pm

bonanacrom wrote:Happened to my old buick regal. I removed the headliner and painted the roof. I miss that car.
I did this with a couple of my cars... minus the painting the roof part :mrgreen: It isn't like it is a Cadillac :mrgreen:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:56 pm

America, F@%K YEAH!

and 3M FTW :wink:

lonewolf15002000

Post by lonewolf15002000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:13 pm

I want to say that you can't do that with an American Flag. But I can't for the life of me remember where it states that you can't alter the flag in any way. I'm going to keep looking if I find it I'll link it here.

Found the site I was thinking of.
American Flag Etiquette wrote:The flag should be lighted at all times, either by sunlight or by an appropriate light source.
The flag should not be used for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.
When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.
Ok so it doesn't mention altering the flag but I found a couple of others that would apply, and here is the American Flag Protocolfor displaying the flag.
Lonewolf15002000
Semper Fidelis

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Regulator wrote:Image

America, F@%K YEAH!

and 3M FTW :wink:
Diggin on that dangling dome light :wink:
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

Regulator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the dead II, Shaun of the Dead,

Post by Regulator » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:22 pm

lonewolf15002000

Yep, I know about flag etiquette. That cheap printed flag started fraying on the end well before it was otherwise damaged. Now, I wasn’t gonna burn my flag just cause of a bit of frayed ends. Hell we all get a bit frayed once in a while. As a headliner that flag has gotten more attention, respect, admiration and positive comments than it ever did on the pole. I think it’s happy there. Ironic that it is a symbol of my freedom to do exactly that. Isn’t America great?!

Darkaxel

Dash is out too. Pretty much had the whole cab torn out for cleaning, painting, repair ext.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:33 pm

NAPA carries a 3M spray can that allows one to spray the glue from the can onto the fiberboard and then roll the sagging headliner smooth.

DarkAxel

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:00 pm

aa1pr wrote:NAPA carries a 3M spray can that allows one to spray the glue from the can onto the fiberboard and then roll the sagging headliner smooth.
This stuff only works if you completely remove the foam padding underneath the headliner. If you don't, you're only gluing the headliner to a bunch of foam padding that is already disintegrating. It will fall again. This stuff can work if you completely saturate the foamy crap with it (which takes a hell of a lot more than the directions indicate) before you reapply the headliner fabric. It is actually cheaper to do it right.

Personally, I'd just yank the headliner and shell and follow Bonanacrom's advice if the auto is just a work car/truck or a vehicle you don't care too much about. If not, then do it right. It will save you a lot of trouble and headaches in the long run.

Browncoat

ZS Wiki

grennels

Post by grennels » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:16 pm

AutoZone sells big screw in fasteners for just this purpose. Ask them.
Use enough of them and it looks quilted.
Shot 'em, now I'm gonna hang 'em, then I'm gonna burn 'em!
Damn Zombies. Can't ever be too dead to suit me.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:21 am

BigDaddyTX wrote:It ain't purdy, but I just used staples on my 85 Griswold Mobile. Pulled it as tight as I could and tried to make them less obvious around the sides.
I wouldn't recommend staples or any other exposed metal parts. When I got some really bad news one time I had to take it out at something, and being inside my car at the time, and without thinking, I punched the interior roof of my car. :roll: I was worried about tetanus for at least a week after that :oops:
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:58 am

Regulator wrote:Image
I did the same thing with an S-10 I had in high school, except I used a Jolly Roger flag. :D

Probably the easiest & best-looking fix I've done for this - rip out the old headliner & backing foam, then go buy a roll of "automotive carpet" for $10 from the auto parts store + a can of adhesive. cut it to fit (you can do it on 3 or 4 "strips" if the roof is just rectangular, with no curves or odd shapes) and stick it up there. Use a hair dryer or heat gun if it's cold out or you otherwise have trouble getting the adhesive to hold.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Return to “Transportation”