Tacoma or 4Runner

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

the_klenzer

Tacoma or 4Runner

Post by the_klenzer » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:14 am

Ok, it looks like new (used) car time is coming fast. I'm torn between two choices, a Toyota Tacoma or a Toyota 4Runner. It would be a 1996 or 1997 model.

Midsize pickup truck vs. midsized SUV? It would be a 4x4 in either case, and the Tacoma would be the extended cab version. Not sure if I'd get a canopy for the truck if I got it, but probably not, maybe just a tonneau cover. I rarely ever travel with more than one person, so the bigger back seats in the 4Runner are mostly wasted. I've owned a 4Runner before and loved it.
Yes, I'd likely be switching it to propane.
Thoughts?
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:
First: Get a spoon.
Second: Eat my ass.

Sturmwehr

Post by Sturmwehr » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:59 am

4runner. More room. Even if you don't use that in your daily commute, when you buy a TV or have to transport some friends - it's nice. Plus you can fit more supplies more securely in it.

misanthropist

Post by misanthropist » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:14 am

Personally, I'd take the Tacoma. I always think there's a lot more wasted space in the 4runner than in a truck. If you ever put a cap on the back, you'd be able to haul a lot more stuff in the truck than the SUV with just as much security.

As you say, you don't really need the back seats. Get an x-cab Tacoma and you're set for those occasions when you need to take a kid or a dog with you.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Absit

Post by Absit » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:25 am

I always go SUV over Truck. Even with a topper you lose security, and most importantly accessibility. In my Jeep I can go from the front to the back, quickly, without getting outside. I can remoev my rear seats and increase cargo room, or fold them down for a slightly less drastic increase.

The big thing to me is getting to my gear in the back without crawling through a tiny hole in the rear windshield, or having to exit the vehicle.
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:31 am

I'm jaded, I just got rid of a 93 4runner back in the spring. It was the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I put more money into that thing in a year and a half than any other vehicle I've ever owned (and I've owned some pretty craptacular rides!)

From a utility standpoint, the 4runner had a nice large cargo area, in fact I kept the back seats down most of the time. You could fit a lot of stuff in there, until the rear window motor died and I couldn't open the tailgate anymore. :x

Both have decent ground clearance, and good aftermarket support.

My opinion, flee for another mark, maybe a nice used cherokee?

I asked around to find other owners of that generation of 4runner to see if they had similar problems. I work with a guy who had a 95, and he said at 130k miles, it basically fell apart- 6k worth of repairs in 1 year.

My brother has a 99 tacoma, 90k miles and the engine has picked up a knock. I can't vouch for how he maintains cars, but he got 180k miles out of a neon without major repair.

It's funny, because before I bought one, I only heard great things about 'em.

Good luck looking!
Last edited by PistolPete on Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:02 am

PistolPete wrote:I jaded, I just got rid of a 93 4runner back in the spring. It was the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

In an ironic twist, I also owned a Gen 2 (1990 for mine) 4Runner and a Jeep Cherokee. The 4Runner was the most reliable vehicle I owned (1 timing belt and 1 starter in 4 years, it got totalled with 300,000kms on it) and the Jeep was the second worst reliable vehicle I owned (the worst is my 1994 Aerostar which I'm selling). My other reason for specifically wanting a Toyota is how well they retain their value, which means I have to pay more when I buy it though.

Anyway, so far you guys are fairly evenly split on truck vs. SUV, as am I.
More opinions?
"Klenzer, you have to be one of the only guys I know of that goes to the Arctic and somehow manages to get lapdances." - redhotkat
Vicarious_Lee wrote:This guide is created to help you get a spoon and eat my ass:

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:00 pm

the_klenzer wrote:
PistolPete wrote:I jaded, I just got rid of a 93 4runner back in the spring. It was the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

the Jeep was the second worst reliable vehicle I owned (the worst is my 1994 Aerostar which I'm selling). My other reason for specifically wanting a Toyota is how well they retain their value, which means I have to pay more when I buy it though.

Anyway, so far you guys are fairly evenly split on truck vs. SUV, as am I.
More opinions?
Well I am always a vote for the Cherokee side.

What year was your Jeep Klenzer? The reason I ask is that Jeep Cherokee’s made up to around 90’ and earlier were made my Renault. Those are not what I would consider the “finest” years of Jeep construction. Now after 90’ the Cherokee was made by Chrysler. You can say what you want about Chrysler but they made a much better vehicle than what Renault was putting out. I would suggest a 91’ or newer Jeep Cherokee.

Edit: Aside from that. Look into an early 90’s Nissan Pathfinder. They were great trucks, reliable and dependable.
-NREMT-P
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:15 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
What year was your Jeep Klenzer? The reason I ask is that Jeep Cherokee’s made up to around 90’ and earlier were made my Renault. Those are not what I would consider the “finest” years of Jeep construction. Now after 90’ the Cherokee was made by Chrysler. You can say what you want about Chrysler but they made a much better vehicle than what Renault was putting out. I would suggest a 91’ or newer Jeep Cherokee.

Edit: Aside from that. Look into an early 90’s Nissan Pathfinder. They were great trucks, reliable and dependable.[/quote]

Renault? Huh, I was under the impression that AMC made the Jeep up until 1986 (+/- 1 year) then Crysler bought them and started making them. My family had a 1990 with the I6 and I also had a 1984 with a V6. The Chrysler built one was WAY better than my older one, but not much better than average (granted a little).
I like the 1st Gen style 2 door Pathfinders too, they are sexy tricked out! There's some really good other vehicles out there, but it's really the Toyota styling and resale value that turns me on. I've pretty much got my mind set on the Toy.

So what's your pick, truck or SUV?

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:30 am

the_klenzer wrote: Anyway, so far you guys are fairly evenly split on truck vs. SUV, as am I.
More opinions?
Depends. What mods are you after?
Personally, pick-up with roll bars on the bed.
Grizzly Roll Bars

You can put these for some space for equipment:
Truck Bed Toolboxes
Accent Tops Truck Accessories - The steel truck bed toolbox looks nice.
Plus some grill guards:
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:21 am

Having owned a 1988 Toyota Pickup, a 1998 Toyota Tacoma, a 2000 Toyota Tacoma, a 1990 Toyota 4runner, and currently a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I say go for the Tacoma.

I kick myself every day for selling my 00 Tacoma. They are awesome trucks. Especially when equipped with the TRD Offroad Package. The package comes with a limited slip rear differential which was really handy when I would take it out on the rock trails. Toyotas are legendary for the reliability. Many a Toyota owner can attest to the longevity of these vehicles. I second the fact that there is a HUGE aftermarket availability for the tacoma between lift kits, tires, wheels, superchargers, turbochargers, accessories, and forums dedicated to these trucks.

I miss having a truck. Its great when you need to haul stuff around that is messy or if you need to haul dirt, lumber, concrete bags, etc. I have been a toyota guy for a long time. They are truly exceptional vehicles. The only reason I ever sold my 00 Tacoma is because we were having a baby and I wanted something with a bit more room. The Jeep offers nice cargo space, decent gas mileage(Not any better than a tacoma), good power, and nice looking, while still having a 4x4. I will say that my jeep has required a lot more maintaining to keep it running trouble free. My parents drove an 88 Cherokee for a long time, and it gave them so much trouble.

Honestly, I think that the 4runner or the Tacoma would make you happy, but you can do more with a truck than you can do with an suv. My vote goes for Toyota in general and Tacoma specifically.
Zombies man.....They creep Me out. - Dennis Hopper Land Of The Dead

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:00 am

CaptainZ wrote:Having owned a 1988 Toyota Pickup, a 1998 Toyota Tacoma, a 2000 Toyota Tacoma, a 1990 Toyota 4runner, and currently a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I say go for the Tacoma.
It looks like I'm leaning towards the Tacoma with a canopy on it.

Maybe you can answer some fuel economy questions, did you have both the 4 and 6 cyl motors and if so, is there much fuel economy differences between them?
ANd yup, I'm hoping to get one with the TRD package!

Bloodlust, that roll bar is sexy as hell. If I wasn't going to do a canopy on it, I'd go that way for sure.

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:01 am

the_klenzer wrote:
CaptainZ wrote:Having owned a 1988 Toyota Pickup, a 1998 Toyota Tacoma, a 2000 Toyota Tacoma, a 1990 Toyota 4runner, and currently a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, I say go for the Tacoma.

Maybe you can answer some fuel economy questions, did you have both the 4 and 6 cyl motors and if so, is there much fuel economy differences between them?
ANd yup, I'm hoping to get one with the TRD package!

My 1988 Pickup and 1990 4runner were both 4cyl. Both Tacomas I owned were V6. The 1998 was aweful on gas mileage, but thats due to the fact that it had a 6" lift with 33" mud tires, so gas mileage definatly suffered on that one. My 2000 which I left stock if I remember right got around 20mpg. I think the 4cyl tacomas get around 25 but remember, if you want the TRD package, it isnt offered in the 4cyl version, only the V6. If you drive gingerly, and dont race from stop light to stop light and dont floor it everytime you accelerate, you could probably get around 22mpg.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:52 am

THanks CaptainZ
However, it looks like my Tacoma purchasing plans have been put on hold until I decide how much I want a propane powered vehicle, as it is too expensive to do it to a new truck.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:38 am

Klenzer, if you do get a new Toyota, remember, the TRD package can interfere with aftermarket accessories, specifically in the suspension lift department. If you're planning on leaving it stock, it'd fine, but if not, the TRD is a waste of money.

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:58 am

TDW586 wrote:Klenzer, if you do get a new Toyota, remember, the TRD package can interfere with aftermarket accessories, specifically in the suspension lift department. If you're planning on leaving it stock, it'd fine, but if not, the TRD is a waste of money.
Thats not true :roll:

The TRD Package offers:

Upgraded Bilstein Shocks
Electronic Rear Diff Locker
And some Visual trim options

That in no way affects lifting the vehicle.

Go to www.ttora.com to which I was a member of. We did many offroad adventures and I rode with many lifted Tacomas who had the TRD Package and they never had any issues. I challenge you to find a site that offers a lift kit that specifically states not for TRD equipped vehicles.

TDW586
Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else

Post by TDW586 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:26 pm

CaptainZ wrote:
TDW586 wrote:Klenzer, if you do get a new Toyota, remember, the TRD package can interfere with aftermarket accessories, specifically in the suspension lift department. If you're planning on leaving it stock, it'd fine, but if not, the TRD is a waste of money.
Thats not true :roll:

The TRD Package offers:

Upgraded Bilstein Shocks
Electronic Rear Diff Locker
And some Visual trim options

That in no way affects lifting the vehicle.

Go to www.ttora.com to which I was a member of. We did many offroad adventures and I rode with many lifted Tacomas who had the TRD Package and they never had any issues. I challenge you to find a site that offers a lift kit that specifically states not for TRD equipped vehicles.
Little aggressive, ain't ya, kiddo?

Chill it out, or I'm not going to waste my time talking to you.

I know I've seen mods which state they will not fit TRD, and, in any case, it should be obvious to any fool that paying for suspension performance options on a vehicle you're going to be ripping the suspension out of and replacing with a performance system is silly as hell.

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:05 pm

TDW,

Sorry, I wasnt trying to be aggressive.

The big parts of the TRD package are the locker and the and the visual upgrades(Fender Flares Specifically). The upgraded shocks are nice and can be retained with some lift kits(usually under 2"). The locker is the big key. It is nicer than some aftermarket lockers and saves you the hassle of paying an extra $1k or more plus labor to get an aftermarket one. Plus having a factory locker under factory warranty is nice. The extra you pay for a Tacoma with the TRD package is really for the locker(if your an offroad person). While the bilstein shocks are a nice upgrade over standard Tacoma shocks, they certainly arent the type of shocks that would cause someone to say " Gee these shocks are so nice that I dont want to do an aftermarket suspension setup" Most aftermarket shocks designed with the lift kits are better than the bilsteins.

I dont quite understand where your coming from when you state that you have to "rip out a suspension". The only thing that is difference between base tacoma suspension and TRD package Tacoma suspension is the shocks(atleast components that are replaced during a suspension upgrade). Everything else remains the same when lifted. I have done countless suspension and body lifts on toyotas(and a few other types). Its not like its a 30hr job to do a basic suspension lift. On my 1998 we did the front and rear shocks upgrade, 3 inch front coil spacers, and upgraded shackles in the rear in around 3hrs. Nothing had to be "ripped out". There was no major requirements to get it done.

I know that there are some suspension setups that state not for TRD equipped vehicles but that only applies to the 2wd "Prerunner" Tacomas equipped with TRD. Every major manufacturer of Tacoma lift kits that I have seen states that the lift will fit ALL 95-04 4x4 Tacomas. THe upgraded shocks you get with most kits far outperform the bilstein shocks that come with the TRD tacomas(although the bilsteins do perform well for regular on road and light off road driving).

CaptainZ

Post by CaptainZ » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:13 pm

TDW586 wrote: it should be obvious to any fool that paying for suspension performance options on a vehicle you're going to be ripping the suspension out of and replacing with a performance system is silly as hell.
I can assume that thats why the aftermarket industry is a billion dollar industry, because its silly as hell to replace factory stuff with after market stuff :wink:

If what you say were the case, no one would ever upgrade factory turbos(which are a performance part), with aftermarket turbos(which are a performance part. We would never see superchargers on Cobras, cameros, or corvettes because afterall its silly to take a performance vehicle and swap parts with other performance parts :wink:

Please note this is just friendly sarcasm. I am not trying to be rude or aggressive, just trying to make a point.

Return to “Transportation”