It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:29 pm 

SteveD wrote:
post necro'd!
That 345 is the same engine that goes into their school bus....
btw..it was the scout 2 that had the removable top.
had a '74 scout 2 what a beast

I had a '69 Scout I and it had a removable top.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:12 pm 

Pic's dammit.

(I love Scouts)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:25 pm 

TravisM.1 wrote:

Neville, its coming along nicely.

Thanks Travis - nothing "sexy" so far ( in terms of lift, big tires, lockers, roll bars, side steps etc) but all basic functional stuff. In order to be a BOV it first has to be a viable VEHICLE, LOL. Once we get the basics handled, we can start with some fun upgrades. It's not cheap, and it is time-consuming. This vehicle was basically intact when I found it in terms of "it's all there" but it's amazing the amount of stuff that needed attention after so many years of use, tinkering and idleness. At least the body/frame are still intact and the motor seems solid (so far) and as long as those are all right, we have something to work with. I don't intend to make this a rock-crawler or a swamp-mudder. Just a good all-purpose vehicle that is capable on and off road beyond the average commuter car/truck. Something that a bit of wet grass, standing water, mud or snow won't phase - that will still be "civilized" enough to park easily running errands around town and serve as a backup daily driver when one of our main vehicles is in the shop.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:38 pm 

Paladin1 wrote:
Pic's dammit.

(I love Scouts)

Will oblige, as soon as we locate the cable to transfer pics from the camera. Search already in progress, but might take a day or two. Like I said, nothing sexy but just basic repairs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:30 pm 

Here's some photos... as I said, nothing "sexy" just routine repairs. "Face" portrait for starters. Closeups of the locking hubs that are locked up, evidence of a previous owner struggling with them (ow, pliers marks). The refurbished gauges, the new engine parts, heater valve...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:18 am 

You say, "Routine repairs." I say, "Sexy. I love old trucks and I'm following this just as closely as the Gladiator project so please keep updates coming as need with lots and lots of pics. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 pm 

Hmmm...woodgrain dash, that's just hot you damn tease!

Looks like it's in better shape than many other projects I've seen.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:58 am 

Well, the truck is back from the axle shop. The old hubs were siezed up with neglect, and had to be swapped for some used Dana 44 hubs they had on hand. While they were in there, they replaced the axle seals and packed the wheel bearings. As it turns out, I was mistaken when I thought previously:

Quote:
The 4wd scout was available with two transfer case options. A simple electrically engaged 2H-4H chain drive unit, and a standard 2H-4H-4L. My truck originally came from the factory with the electrical version. There was a switch on the dash at one point for egaging it, and there is a light on the speedo saying "4WD". Somewhere along the line, over the past 30 years, a previous owner swapped it out for the standard manually operated (non electric) 2H-4H-4L TC. Obviously, that light is non-operational now with the old unit removed since there's no wiring to the 4x4 TC. My hope is to be able to construct a switch that is "off" when the TC is in 2H mode. Of course it would draw current from a circuit that is only powered with the key on. And in so doing, make that "4WD" light operational again.

As it turns out, the replaced TC actually DOES have the connection for the dash indicator, so now when the TC is placed into 4H or 4L a light on the dash comes on that says "Frt. Axle Eng". Neat! And of course the replacement hubs turn like butter. Probably could have done this job myself (and likely will in the future) but I literally could not spare the time and energy just now. I'm satisfied that the 4wd on this truck is (finally) working, and just in time for the muddy/snowy weather coming up. I'm heading out on a 3 day camping trip (sadly, not with this truck!), hopefully I'll be able to post some pics of the work when I get back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 am 

Sometimes it's worth the money to have a pro do it. Glad to hear you have 4WD again.

Lots of pics pl0x?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:15 am 

That's sweet looking ride, I like the body work that cleaned up real nice, good to have her operational ironed out the list of things to do!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:00 pm 

Ok, here's the pics of the "after" back from the axle shop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm 

I kind of wish they had called me and asked if I wanted new or used hubs. Not really thrilled with the set they scavenged.

Maybe next year I'll have time and money to put a set of Mile Marker hubs on it.

At least for now, it's on the road with working 4wd. I think that's the last major system that needed functional repair. No doubt several others could use a bit of tweaking but for now we are on the road.

Next year maybe some upgrades to steering and suspension - 2" lift, lockers in the diff's and so on. I just had to put another $1k into my Isuzu Trooper daily driver, so I'm tapped out for now. Got a trip coming up next month, then Christmas the month after. Hopefully by January the wife will be working again and there will be more money for "special projects".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:44 am 

[quote="Neville"]I kind of wish they had called me and asked if I wanted new or used hubs. Not really thrilled with the set they scavenged.

Probably not a big deal, but I think I would be a little pissed at not getting my origional hubs with the IH logo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:54 am 

pickledog wrote:
Neville wrote:
I kind of wish they had called me and asked if I wanted new or used hubs. Not really thrilled with the set they scavenged.

Probably not a big deal, but I think I would be a little pissed at not getting my origional hubs with the IH logo.

I got the orignials (which are all chewed up with a previous owner's pliers marks) back in a box. They don't appear broken, just siezed up with fossilized grease. I could give them a soak and slap them back on... they'd still look like crap, of course. I'd like to have OEM but those are very hard to find and hella expensive when you do. On top of that, although I like the idea of being "all original", I'm not crazy about the appearance of the OEM hubs.

Right now I've moved on from that issue and I am thinking about locking differentials. I am considering a full-time locker for the rear, and a switch on the fly electric locker for the front. I'm trying to get an idea of the pros and cons of various arrangements. Any comments or tips are welcome.

ETA: Maybe thinking of going Detroit TrueTrac. Seem to be getting good reviews over all. For a truck that will see 90%+ of it's time on paved roads, it's probably a good option.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:11 pm 

Air locker?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:30 am 

http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1221

Went to the local Off-Road park with my wife on Wednesday. What a hoot! Took the truck above, forgot the camera... next time! Over hill, dale and rutted trail we went... through mud and over rocks, 4x4 all the way. After a successful shakedown cruise with yours truly at the wheel, we switched sides so my sweetie could have her first ever off-road driving experience. She did very well for an absolute novice... however on the return trip she accidentally dropped the front wheels into a rut she didn't see until the last second - which high-centered the truck on the left frame rail. Without lockers, we were stuck, since one front and one rear wheel were both spinning helplessly. It was late in the day (this was to be our final round) and the daylight was fading fast. I walked the mile back to the chase vehicle (our 2001 Trooper) wondering if I would make it before sundown. My wife (still recuperating from knee surgery and using crutches) stayed with the vehicle. Fortunately I had planned ahead, having tools, water, food, flashlights, a couple warm jackets and a pistol there for "just in case". After finding the Trooper, I carefully picked my way back to the scene of the incident. Using the tow strap, I hooked onto the Scout and with my wife at the controls, two-footing it on the brake and gas, I put the Trooper in 4L and we easily got the Scout back on firm footing. As the sun was down now and twilight was dimming by the minute, we made a direct line for the front gate.

The wife made several observations:
"Yes, dear, I understand now why you need the lockers for the axles..."
"You need a roll bar and better safety belts in this thing! And bigger tires!"
"Don't you need a few inches of lift?"
"This truck needs better headlights!"

And of course the unspoken admission that "It ain't as easy as it looks" when it comes to 4wd off-roading. But we both had a GREAT time and hope to be going back again SOON! My wife has always been
head-shakingly supportive of my truck-build hobby but now she is starting to appreciate the FUN side of it. What a great way to get the wife on board the BOV build!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 pm 

Hey quick question I was wondering how is the gas mileage on the scout after you rebuilt the carb and replaced the tubing...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:28 am 

I can't tell from the picture, but does it have a proper volt gauge or an old ammeter?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:51 pm 

I don't have a firm reading on the fuel consumption. I would guess it is not far north of single digit territory, probably 12-15 mpg. I'll have to test it in the near future.

The electrical gauge is the original ammeter D>>|>>C So you can tell if you are charging or discahrging, but don't get an actual voltage reading. I'd like to have another set of gauges (maybe under the dash) that give actual volts, psi, degrees readings as well as just relative indications.

We had the truck out on a 4x4 "moderate" trail this past week. The trail ended up being more than we were prepared for, and it really pushed our skills and the vehicle to their absolute limits... but we made it through unscathed and without having to be rescued. It was actually quite an adventure and I'll try to get some pics and the narrative up here over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:18 pm 

Still working on the Scout!

This weekend I spent about 6-7 hours installing helper spring "add-a-leaf" kits in the rear, along with new shocks. Since adding the full-length traveler top and extra-capacity fuel tank, it has been riding low in the rear. As I am planning to tow a travel trailer up a mountain next month, that needed to be addressed. Lacking a proper garage, everything was done using a floor jack, some jack stands, a torch and various toolery on the curbside. Fortunately, the weather was pleasant, even if wrestling with big iron and rusty old bolts were a challenge. You certainly feel the decades after all that rolling around under a propped vehicle on the concrete. I was one tuckered puppy when it was all done.

Very happy with the result. Instead of dragging 2" low, the rear now sits about 1.5 inches high in the back. And the ride is much more pleasant, the old shocks must have been plugged because now instead of a BANG when the rear wheels hit a bump, there is an actual undulation as the rear goes over... a worthwhile upgrade.

While I was under there pondering the sea of iron and rust hovering above me, I finally concluded that the bumper hitch is just not going to work for hauling the travel trailer. Consequently, a new class III hitch is inbound, and should be here before the weekend. More time on the pavement with wrenches! Yee haw.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:20 pm 

Getting ready to head north again for a 3-week gunsmithing class this summer.

Last year the Scout towed a 4000+ lb trailer around a bit... a couple short jaunts in the local area, less than an hour from home... and then a big tow up to the high country about 4000 ft altitude. There were some winding mountain roads involved, and also a bit of freeway travel with big trucks drafting. The trailer subsequently earned the nickname "Matilda" due to her penchant for waltzing... which wouldn't be so bad, but she likes to lead! There were a few truly frightening moments when I wondered if I was going to be able to keep her between the fences. This trailer is within spec for the vehicle but near the top of the acceptable range when loaded.

Also, there has long been a buzzing vibration from the drive line. The transfer case was suspect because that shift knob was where the vibration was most keenly felt. This got noticeably worse on the trip... bad enough that I took it in for a TC fluid change before heading home, putting in some heavy duty fluid. That didn't get rid of it, but it seemed to help a bit.

Also the poor truck was terribly saggy in the back. It wasn't uncommon to be grinding pavement with the trailer jack over speed bumps.

Well, if I'm going to make this trip again, some upgrades are definitely needed.

Right now the truck is in the shop. They checked the TC and it apparently seems to be ok. However, the differential pinion bearing is shot, and the wobble took out the pinion seal. So, a new pinion bearing and seal are needed... as long as we're in there, we're replacing the worn out clutch packs in the Dana 44 limited slip. Up front - yep, that differential is shot too, going to get it fixed. Oh, and all 4 U-joints - bad, every one of them, going to go all-new. And a front wheel bearing was a tad loose, going to clean, re-pack, and re-adjust both sides up front (balance). While we're at it, let's throw on some new brake pads cuz we're only in it for the parts at that point.

And that saggy rear is going to get some help. The add-a-leaf just barely brought the springs back to original height. It still sags badly once the trailer is on the ball. So, a two-pronged approach... a weight distributing hitch, and a set of air-ride helpers for the back. The WDH should balance the truck out, and the air bags will help to control "bounce" when encountering bumps or stops. When not towing the bags can be aired down for a comfortable ride.

Also, the Torqueflite 727 is going to need additional cooling. So a transmission cooler will be added in the near future. It regularly gets over 100 degrees here in the summers, and uphill towing is very common during vacation season.

So, this is going to be an expensive repair and upgrade bill, but it's needed, every bit of it. So it's an investment in having the vehicle be able to do what I need it to do - and therefore a totally justifiable expense. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to snap some pics and report on the work after I get it back, which is planned for this week. The trailer's also getting some work performed (the place has had it since December) and they are in the final stages of finishing up... so I'll need the truck to go pick up the trailer. Still a lot of DIY to do on both vehicles, but some things it is just better to farm out because I don't have the specialized tools or really any space to work. I really begrudge each swing of the wrench I don't get to personally do! Not just the expense, but also it's a bonding experience with the vehicle... I wouldn't expect someone who hasn't done it to understand. There's just something a little special about driving a vehicle that you have had "hands on" with a lot of its various systems. Hope I never have to give it up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:55 pm 

Sounds like your going through it pretty thoroughly. I think that is a good plan on an older vehicle that your going to work hard towing.

I do most of my work myself too, but sometimes you have to farm things out. You'll still get to know every inch of it in time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:51 am 

Cool thread!

I have been eyeballing a Scout II for about 5 months now.

The owner says it will start but won't stay running. That's why I have been able to "stalk" it for so long without somebody else buying it.

Guns are icky!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm 

Got the old girl back from the axle shop. To the tune of about $2500. YeeeOuch!

All of the driveline issues have been dealt with. She goes down the road just as pretty as you please.

The load-balancing hitch is on order and should be here in a few days. Not in time to pick up the trailer, which should be done some time this week... but certainly in time for a little March excursion.

And, at the wife's insistence, I hunted around and got a deal on some new tires. She'd been carping about those tires for the five years I've had the truck. Honestly the tread is hardly worn. But the sidewalls have some pretty serious cracking going on. So I'd been putting it off and finally with the trailering I added up how much time, effort and money I've got invested now and figured the $716 for new rubber all the way around was probably cheap insurance. Settling up at the tire store "So, you wanna guess how old those tires are?" the guy asked. There's a code, he can tell when they were made. "1998" - yep, tires nearly old enough to vote. The fact that that 17 year old rubber was hard and stiff was cast into sharp relief by the smooth ride home. Wow... the wife was right. It handles and rides a heck of a lot better now, even though they were replaced with the exact same make, model and size that came off (BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA KO 31x10.5 R15). Had them keep the best of the old ones for a spare... but it's a snug fit, it doesn't "seat" properly. Hmmm... not sure if that's going to be an issue or not. If it is, I may go back to the open-bed Terra configuration. No ceiling to deal with then!

The air assist for the rear is still on hold though. No one makes a mounting bracket for a vehicle this old, but I believe I've located an outfit locally that can fabricate whatever is needed to get them mounted. We have a bit of a clearance issue with the exhaust on both sides, but I'm hopeful we can manage the installation without needing to re-arrange anything there, as the whole exhaust system is brand new one year ago.

Right now, the prime bug-a-boo seems to be a wiring fault that occasionally stops the engine. Over the next few days I'll be getting down and dirty with some wiring to find out the ignition fault. Other than this, it's running purrrrfectly. I'm expecting to find loose and dirty connections, maybe some sizzled bits from some of the previous electrical issues. In prepping for this, I've done a bit of research and found some REALLY useful information. Part of this wiring project will include a fix for the notorious Scout "Hot Start" problem by installation of a remote solenoid. Now that should be a project worthy of a few pics! ('bout time, eh?)

Wish me luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next