It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:03 pm 

Purchased on Saturday, dragging it home tomorrow if all goes according to plan.

Needs brakes and a lot of cosmetic attention but it's all present and a good solid platform for a project truck.

Going to keep it mainly stock, a few subtle upgrades here and there, and basically freshen up the appearance.

Hopefully I'll have some fun working on it and some more fun driving it. Should do great as a BOV if the situation calls for that. It sucks in gas mileage, but carrying extra fuel should help with that aspect.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:08 pm 

I had a '69 years ago. Watch out for rusted gas tanks (which could explain the bad gas mileage).
Mine ate front tires.
304 (2?) V-8. Actually got 24mpg on the highway.

Neville wrote:

Needs brakes and a lot of cosmetic attention but it's all present and a good solid platform for a project truck.

Going to keep it mainly stock, a few subtle upgrades here and there, and basically freshen up the appearance.

Hopefully I'll have some fun working on it and some more fun driving it. Should do great as a BOV if the situation calls for that. It sucks in gas mileage, but carrying extra fuel should help with that aspect.

- with apologies to Larry McMurtry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:42 pm 

ooo pretty...

They don't make trucks with character like that anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:49 pm 

Wow... looks like someone babied that one! Not that rusty... I thought Ohio was in the rust belt?? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm 

Neville wrote:

8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:47 am 

Very Very Nice...did you get it in Cali? What engine/trans is in it? Take a look at those front Warn lockout hubs...if they have brass dials they are cool (older ones)...and polish up nice..lol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:46 pm 

It's a 345 engine with the auto trans (727 I believe).

Those hubs have seen better days. They have been turned with pliers and have some nasty gouge marks. They may need to be replaced or simply serviced, won't know until I get them apart which will be a few weeks because I have other higher priority items to tend to first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:44 pm 

Love Scouts! That will make a cool build.

My dream is the model with the Nissan diesel in it.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:58 pm 

I learned to drive on an old Scout II - I still miss it. It was unstoppable, unless you forgot to top up the oil every 100 or so miles.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:38 pm 

The Nissan diesel is a good engine, gets great mileage too.

It's not much of a performer though. There was a turbo version that was better but everything is a trade off, and I've heard that turbos can be problematic too. I would love all the advantages of diesel but then you have to live with the downsides too... it would use a different fuel than my other engines, cold weather gelling, risk of somone mistakenly putting gasoline in it, etc.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:03 pm 

Beautiful truck right there, nice find! How much did you pay for it if you don't mind saying?

Love the old Scout II, and Travelall's as well. Im amazed at how little rust yours seems to have!

The cab top is removable on those aren't they?

Hectic Hardwear - Morale Patches
moralepatches.com
Follow on facebook

offcamber's INCH Bag thread

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:22 pm 

Darn gratz! Thats a sweet truck and a lucky find, with all that real steel in the front end you can run over Z's all day an probably not even dent a fender, unlike a modern Chev or Dodge.
But seriously, great find with that engine and transmission.

Humanity does not survive alone.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:25 pm 

It needs a roll cage and lots of spikes!!! :lol: but seriously very nice you guys up for a day at the range Linny needs more trigger time :mrgreen:

Musubi

The hands acquire shakes.
The shaking becomes a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:22 pm 

Well I have been through a lot with this beast over the past couple months. Brake work - all hydraulics replaced and I mean if it touched brake fluid it was ROTTEN. Hoses, lines, cylinders, calipers, master, porportioning valve ALL brand new and now working like a charm. Rebuilt the carb, replacing all gaskets and seals after a thorough cleaning. One component, the choke pull-off vacuum diaphragm, was ruptured and there is no new replacement, so that gizmo had to go out to be rebuilt by a specialty house (did a great job too, it came back fully functional and SHINY). Lot's of issues with lighting... dash, exterior - totally refurbished the instrument cluster due to bad lighting and sun-faded needles. New plugs, new coil, set the timing, replaced a vacuum line, and we were able to get through the stringent CA emissions and get the permanent tags for the vehicle.

PREP FAIL ALERT:

Well, it seems trouble will strike when least expected. No more will I say to myself "It's just across town, no biggie..." I had refurbished the dash gauges due to bad lighting (much improved now) and gotten everything all back together and looking nearly like new. My wife was all excited so I cleaned out the truck and took it down to the wash and got it all cleaned up to go out for the evening. There were lots of tools, leftover bits, and packaging from all the recent work. I had spent the day also getting the brake lights to work (bad switch on pedal) and the license plate light (bad bulb) working. So I got everything that rattles, rustles or bangs around cleaned out of the truck. Unfortunately, it is not what I took out that was the problem so much as what I forgot to put back IN... as you will shortly see.

I was feeling pretty confident about the truck at this point. It was running great, never failed to start on the first turn of the key, sounded perfect, and I had driven it around town a bit on errands. Like I said, everything seemed perfect, and I was very confident in the vehicle's performance. But I had not taken into account the fact that all of my driving experience with the truck to that point had been during daylight hours. I decided to let my wife drive the truck so she could get the feel of it on our outing. In retrospect, this is probably why the alternator needle riding a bit towards the "D" side went unnoticed once the headlights were turned on.

So we loaded up and headed out to the drive in theater. It was a long line to get into the drive-in and we sat idling for about 20 minutes with all the lights on. We had a ball sitting up in the bed of the truck in our lawn chairs, watching the movies in the open night air. Well, come time to leave, we needed a jump. That didn't seem like a big deal, but we got a few blocks away, on the ramp to the freeway, and the truck just DIED. Now, picutre this... you're stuck in a dead truck at 1:00 in the AM on a Saturday night, no light, not even a tire iron for a weapon, no supplies... well, thank God for tripple A, right? Called tripple A, told them we needed a battery, they put me on hold... and while I'm on hold, my FREAKIN' PHONE DIES.

No, please... hold the lectures. I am usually an absolute NUT about having gear in the vehicle with us. Just this once, only going a couple miles from home, I thought we were OK. After all we were not going far and were only going to be gone a few hours. Well, wouldn't you know, that's when trouble decides to strike. Eventually the tow truck found us and we got home around 2 AM but for a while there it was a nerve wracking experience. All I can say is that I am putting together a truck kit now with all the basics in it, including an emergency charger for my phone.

A new battery was needed, but I believe the alternator needs replaced too. I am pulling it out tonight and taking it for testing. If that's all that's needed, it's not a difficult fix.

Lesson learned, even on a short little "shake-down" cruise, don't get over-confident. Always carry any gear you think might come in handy in case the unexpected strikes. It sucks being stranded and not knowing if help is coming or not. It sucks even worse catching no end of grief from your wife about it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:59 pm 

It's a '78 and CA *still* requires emissions? SUCK.

knight_308's EDC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:07 pm 

Want.

"It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…" Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:14 am 

knight_308 wrote:
It's a '78 and CA *still* requires emissions? SUCK.

Yup. 1976 is the cut off date. It passed with flying colors BTW.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:16 pm 

Isn't that an AMC engine in the same family a the 304 and 401? Edelbrock makes nice a multiport injection / ignition system for that block..... just not sure if it's CARB approved.

Always loved the Scout's and their derivatives. Just a shame that so many of them had such rust issues in my area, it's been years since I've seen one on the road.

-Hans

- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:39 pm 

Neville wrote:
A new battery was needed, but I believe the alternator needs replaced too. I am pulling it out tonight and taking it for testing. If that's all that's needed, it's not a difficult fix.

Get it to start, then pull the positive battery cable off the battery. If it dies, you've got alternator/regulator/rectifier troubles.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:19 pm 

TravisM.1 wrote:
Neville wrote:

Get it to start, then pull the positive battery cable off the battery. If it dies, you've got alternator/regulator/rectifier troubles.

I'm no pro but I've heard that's not always the best idea as the battery is in parallel to the alternator it helps to regulate the voltage. I've heard if you pull the battery off it might spike the voltage too high and damage electrical components. Sure it should work, has probably been done before without issue, and will probably be fine on an old truck like that but he's already pulling it out and taking it somewhere to be tested. Probably the more accurate thing to do as well.

Looks like a nice truck!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:42 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

HHaase wrote:
Isn't that an AMC engine in the same family a the 304 and 401? Edelbrock makes nice a multiport injection / ignition system for that block..... just not sure if it's CARB approved.

Always loved the Scout's and their derivatives. Just a shame that so many of them had such rust issues in my area, it's been years since I've seen one on the road.

-Hans

it is not the AMC 304/360/401 Series engine. 345 Engine is an actual IH engine. A good torquey plant too.

I have the 360 in my 74 wagoneer and it's great.

BTW, I LOVE those scout pickups, great little trucks. Do a spring-over conversion and that's all you need to do.

And to date myself...

KEEP ON TRUCKIN!!!

[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:47 am 

LOL, yeah, I get the truckin' reference too. I remember the 70's!

Well, I removed the alternator and ran it down to the local parts store and they confirmed it being dead as a doornail. I have a new one ordered, since I am upgrading from the existing 64 amp 10si to a 105 amp 12si. This is a direct bolt-in fit, no alterations in mounting or wiring. There was a 105 amp rebuild kit available for the 10si, which no doubt would have worked too, but the cooling is better on the 12si and there was only $35 difference between the new 12si and the rebuild kit for the 10si. In my mind, that's not enough to be worth the extra trouble.

The 345 engine in my scout has "International" in script stamped boldly into the valve covers. It's an IHC motor and it runs like a top now that I have the rebuilt carb on it. I like the idea of running it "old school" for the most part. I may change my mind and upgrade the ignition and EFI at some point, but for now, this is fun and takes me back to some of the car work I did in the 70's and 80's. Good times.

Last edited by Neville on Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:24 pm 

If I found a Scout that looked that good I don't believe I would be able to mod it any. It just looks too "right".

Maybe road trip it to Detroit, call a meeting of the bigthree and say "buid this assholes!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:00 am 

rvrrnnr wrote:
If I found a Scout that looked that good I don't believe I would be able to mod it any. It just looks too "right".

Maybe road trip it to Detroit, call a meeting of the bigthree and say "buid this assholes!"

LOL, no doubt if they did build it, it would sell. That design would never pass today's standards though. In the 70's an IHC engineer's idea of a "crumple zone" was the OTHER vehicle. I gotta say I love the durable simplicity of these machines. They do not make them like this anymore, and likely never will.