It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil filters!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:46 pm 

Of the major brands, who don't you trust? I've heard reports of Fram oil filters failing if you extend your oil change interval by a bit. Can anyone back that up? Other comments?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Oil filters!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:48 pm 

Damn. We talked about this in diesel school, but the instructor was more focused on which brands were exactly the same underneath the paint - with an eye mostly towards saving money. I cannot for the life of me remember any names on that topic, but I think I recall the discussion about Frams, and that it was an old problem that's been resolved but still talked about.

(disclaimer: my normally poor memory is worse than usual today due to lack of sleep. Please feel free to ignore me if I'm talking out the wrong end. :P )

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Suizen wrote:
(damned to hell reason and logic... who needs it?! PANIC SQUAD!!! UNITE!)

Chapter XV: ZS, California-Style

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:03 pm 

I don't trust Fram filters at all. I've cut them open and don't like what I see in there. Its always seemed to me like they focus on making them have neat features like that texture crap but don't make a great filter. I've also cut open plenty of Wix filters, both the true Wix and their parts store counterparts and I like their filter element better. Gotta love when you purchase a vehicle and King Kong put the filter on!

I really like the Napa filters, used them for several years with no trouble...pretty sure they are a Wix with the Napa name on them. Other than avoiding Fram, I stick pretty close to the Wix and Napa filters, never gave me trouble and have worked on several high mileage engines. I see no reason to change brands.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:08 pm 

DRoCk wrote:
I don't trust Fram filters at all. I've cut them open and don't like what I see in there. Its always seemed to me like they focus on making them have neat features like that texture crap but don't make a great filter. I've also cut open plenty of Wix filters, both the true Wix and their parts store counterparts and I like their filter element better. Gotta love when you purchase a vehicle and King Kong put the filter on!

I really like the Napa filters, used them for several years with no trouble...pretty sure they are a Wix with the Napa name on them. Other than avoiding Fram, I stick pretty close to the Wix and Napa filters, never gave me trouble and have worked on several high mileage engines. I see no reason to change brands.

Wix! That's the name I couldn't remember. I've heard the same, and better yet, we cut one of each open in that class. No discernible difference, although I'll admit we didn't break out the micrometer, nor the microscope for that matter.

“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

Suizen wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:13 pm 

Has anyone here thought of having one of these in a BOV? Yes, it is a mess to clean, but, reusable!!

http://www.professional-products.com/Oilfilter.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:21 pm 

I usually use the Motorcraft brand they sell at Wal-Mart. But it is probably a rebadged Fram :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:10 pm 

ranger sean wrote:
Has anyone here thought of having one of these in a BOV? Yes, it is a mess to clean, but, reusable!!

http://www.professional-products.com/Oilfilter.html

That's a great idea! the extra-plus with those is you get to see exactly the kind of crap that's in your oil pan (unusual amount of metal shavings, etc) to warn of impending engine doom.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 pm 

That IS awesome. I'd never seen a reusable oil filter on an engine smaller than a locomotive engine, except on the oldest marine diesels I worked on (old Detroits in continuous service as gensets since the early 1950s). Almost all marine diesels have reusable fuel filters, but reusable oil filter, no.

Thanks for that link.

Suizen wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:47 pm 

I am working on my BOV from the frame up right now....but this is going in it when it is done. Either a parts washer or some carb cleaner should do the trick. It is funny how many people yelled at me for bringing this idea to the table on a Jeep Cherokee forum. You guys /girls here at ZS rock !!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:59 pm 

I use Motorcraft in my truck and AC Delco in my two other cars.
Never personally had a problem with Fram, but I have had numerous mechanics that I trust tell me to stay away from Fram.

But honestly, I don't know if there is much difference nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:02 pm 

ranger sean wrote:
I am working on my BOV from the frame up right now....but this is going in it when it is done. Either a parts washer or some carb cleaner should do the trick. It is funny how many people yelled at me for bringing this idea to the table on a Jeep Cherokee forum. You guys /girls here at ZS rock !!

You could probably also wash it in diesel fuel or kerosene (especially handy if you're planning for a possible supply shortage - how much brakleen do you keep on hand really, right?), then rinse with a li'l clean motor oil so as not to get too much of the diesel in your fresh new oil.

Just a thought. I haven't actually checked out the linky yet. :D

Suizen wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:06 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

K&N, the air filter folks, also make oil filters. I have never heard good or bad about them.

For the money, Mobile One filters are probably the best out there, especially if you run synthetic oil (like I do). They are supposed to filter out 98% of all particulates and last up to 30% longer. That is their claim and I happen to believe it. They are a bit pricey, usually about 2-3 bucks more but I think they are worth it, especially for high mileage rides.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 pm 

I used fram filters for years without a problem but when the internet came about I started seeing people who did have a problem. It seems they make the anti drain valve cheap and it leaks as well as using cheap cardboard for the end caps inside. I had a fram fuel filter fail in college, it was on a TBI vehicle so it was a transition time where the filter had moved out of the carb but not under the body like more modern stuff so it started leaking gas in the engine compartment so that crappy fram fuel filter could have killed me. There was some guy who cut open several different brands and posted pictures of them so you could see how they were built.
I started using the ac delco as they are rated high and I see puralator are rated high as well.

Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:59 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Here's some good links to oil filter dissections:
Opinions on Oil Filters
Oil Filters Revealed

TheLastRifleMan wrote:
K&N, the air filter folks, also make oil filters. I have never heard good or bad about them.
They're basically the same as the Mobil One filters, with - arguably - a little better flow rate and a nut on the end.

FWIW, I use Mobil One filters on my drivers since I push the oil change interval out to about 8,000 miles or once-per-year (based on good oil analysis results).

I use a K&N on my quarter mile/muscle car since having the nut welded on the end of the can makes it easier to spin off around the headers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:06 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

If you want to be really pretentious, you just can't beat Amsoil. That's the fanciest oil and filters around. I'm actually doing an experiment. When my mother-in-law got her new car, she ran it 8,000 miles on the break-in oil. I got mad and changed it to Amsoil with a new Wix filter. I'm just going to see how long it goes before the motor frags, as I'm not changing it again.

I've heard it can be up to 100,000 miles. :shock:

I run Amsoil in my car, and the factory Subaru filters, which aren't that expensive and come with a crush washer taped to every filter.

I have heard that Purolator is very good, and they make a LOT of OEM filters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 pm 

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If you want to be really pretentious, you just can't beat Amsoil. That's the fanciest oil and filters around. I'm actually doing an experiment. When my mother-in-law got her new car, she ran it 8,000 miles on the break-in oil. I got mad and changed it to Amsoil with a new Wix filter. I'm just going to see how long it goes before the motor frags, as I'm not changing it again.

I've heard it can be up to 100,000 miles. :shock:

I run Amsoil in my car, and the factory Subaru filters, which aren't that expensive and come with a crush washer taped to every filter.

I have heard that Purolator is very good, and they make a LOT of OEM filters.

Amsoil is great stuff(fluids, and filters). I'm also a fan of OEM filters. They aren't much more than the aftermarket stuff, and were designed specifically for your vehicle.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:36 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
II'm actually doing an experiment.
Follow that up with some quantitative oil analysis, VC, and I'd be very interested to hear what you learn!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

rhi wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:
II'm actually doing an experiment.
Follow that up with some quantitative oil analysis, VC, and I'd be very interested to hear what you learn!

I won't need a quantitative oil analysis to tell me that there will be large chunks of metal, sludge, elevated blood pressure, swearing, and facepalming to the point of head injury associated with the conclusion of this "experiment". :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 pm 

Wix (and Napa, which is made by Wix) are the way to go. It's the only thing we use on our rigs and heavy equipment. Fram is garbage.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 am 

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

I am unsure which motor you are running, but be aware that subaru changed the filter from the old good black style, to a new blue honeywell (aka fram) filter.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2498753-post167.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:54 am 

Dooms wrote:
Wix (and Napa, which is made by Wix) are the way to go. It's the only thing we use on our rigs and heavy equipment. Fram is garbage.

I used to work for NAPA. Yes, Wix and NAPA branded filters are identical. We had the sales rep in a every couple months to check our inventory.

And, yes Fram filters do suck! I've had more than my fair share of issues with them.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:04 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

i used napa gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:55 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

warlock4u wrote:
Vicarious_Lee wrote:

I am unsure which motor you are running, but be aware that subaru changed the filter from the old good black style, to a new blue honeywell (aka fram) filter.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2498753-post167.html

OOH! I didn't know that! I'm running a 2002 WRX with the EJ20 turbo. I bought a bunch of filters about 2 years ago and still have 5 left. Just checked, they're all black!

Should I now sell them to retard ricers as Genuine JDM OMG WTF BBQ vintage Subaru STi Evo WRX limited edition pre-ban antique racing filterz?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:06 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
I won't need a quantitative oil analysis to tell me that there will be large chunks of metal, sludge, elevated blood pressure, swearing, and facepalming to the point of head injury associated with the conclusion of this "experiment". :roll:
C'mon, man...take the plunge for $23 and add to the collective intelligence. :wink: