Land Rover for BOV

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zulu5oscar
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: dead series, 28days/weeks, pretty much anything with undead getting killed...again:)

Land Rover for BOV

Post by zulu5oscar » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:56 am

was very impressed with the discovery land rover i recently purchased, small block V8, great suspension, will climb a house if need be. the rear seats fold up in rear adding some storage space for gear or somewhere to sleep, and i have a safari rack on top which can hold around 500lbs of gear. the vehicle was designed by the british army, made to be repaired in the field, but as a british vehicle comes other problems such as finding parts...or a mechanic fluent in british automotive industres...but fortunatly i have a good mechanic which saves me a lot of money....the vehicle is great, and would make a great BOV(IMO) seats 4 big guys comfortable...put all the gear on the dead hooker rack(roof rack-slang we use for the safari racks) ....and your ready to roll...also can pull a good amount of weight...but i dont know how i feel about that..until the situation arises
Beware the fury of a patient man
John Dryden(1681)

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Re: Land Rover for BOV

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:49 am

parts would be the only problem, a big problem, but those things are awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:25 am

zulu5oscar wrote:...but fortunatly i have a good mechanic which saves me a lot of money....
A couple questions about the above quote:
Do you know how to work on a vehicle?
Do maintenance?
Change a tire?
Troubleshoot when it breaks down?

It's great that your mechanic saves you money, but you could save even more money if you did the work yourself. You would also gain invaluable knowledge about your vehicle (what "x" part is, why that part does what it does, how it does what it does, how to repair it, etc.).
What happens to your vehicle when the SHTF and your mechanic is busy helping his family or even dead? Are you just going to hop out of your vehicle and steal the Chevy Suburban next door?
I don't mean this as a personal attack, but you can't rely on another person to do your work when there's a disaster in progress.

Back to the Land Rover..

Land Rovers are some amazing vehicles, as you already know. However, the parts availability kinda kill it as a BOV, IMO. One of my criteria for BOV's is that parts can be found at the local parts house. I don't want to have to special order something from overseas and have to wait a month for it to arrive.
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

akraven

Post by akraven » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:43 pm

I had one but not anymore. Don't take this as a personal attack but I was less than impressed. The old ones were built like a tractor and last well. The new ones not so much. As was mentioned parts are hard to find and very expensive. If it was made during the years that Lucas was the supplier of the electrical system you will have lots of ongoing problems with the electronics.
You can go to the forum http://www.discoweb.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and get lots of good info on them as well as tales of woe. Good luck with yours.

zulu5oscar
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: dead series, 28days/weeks, pretty much anything with undead getting killed...again:)

Post by zulu5oscar » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:07 pm

thanks for the input..and to answer some questions..no im not really mechanicaly inclined...easy stuff no problem..but replacing cam shaft followers in middle of night while fighting the undead..lol..NOPE..i agree parts are a problem and i have basic car skills...so ANY vehicle will be a problem for me.i do agree the new landrovers are crap....the old discovery's and defenders are built tougher then the new plastic rovers.but itll get me where i need to go..hopefully at the beggining of the Zom-Poc..then off to something else depending what the plan for E and E is
Beware the fury of a patient man
John Dryden(1681)

Dragk913
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series, "Dead" Series, etc.

Post by Dragk913 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:23 pm

zulu5oscar wrote:thanks for the input..and to answer some questions..no im not really mechanicaly inclined...easy stuff no problem..but replacing cam shaft followers in middle of night while fighting the undead..lol..NOPE..i agree parts are a problem and i have basic car skills...so ANY vehicle will be a problem for me.i do agree the new landrovers are crap....the old discovery's and defenders are built tougher then the new plastic rovers.but itll get me where i need to go..hopefully at the beggining of the Zom-Poc..then off to something else depending what the plan for E and E is
Thank you for your honesty. Knowing your limitations (yours as a person & your Land Rover) make your survival a lot easier. I would advise picking up a Factory Service/Repair manual for your LR - they normally run about $100 for the complete A-Z version. It's a little expensive but it will tell you the in's and out's of every system in your vehicle. Also, you could look into a LR Forum online to figure out any frequent problems you might run into - and then keep a couple parts handy so you don't have to run around like a chicken w/its head cut off trying to fix your LR.

These are just a couple ideas you could think about. It's your car, your life, your money..so YMMV :wink:
Hoppy wrote: ZS. We put body parts in sheep.

akraven

Post by akraven » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:50 am

If you look on Discoweb you can find a link to a electronic factory manual that you can download. It is very complete and very much worth it. In fact I may have it on another computer. If I do I can see about getting you a copy.

grand94jeep
Favorite Zombie Movies: All Zombie movies. Even the bad ones

Post by grand94jeep » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:57 am

akraven wrote:I had one but not anymore. Don't take this as a personal attack but I was less than impressed. The old ones were built like a tractor and last well. The new ones not so much. As was mentioned parts are hard to find and very expensive. If it was made during the years that Lucas was the supplier of the electrical system you will have lots of ongoing problems with the electronics.
You can go to the forum http://www.discoweb.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and get lots of good info on them as well as tales of woe. Good luck with yours.
Not my first choice for a BOV. Actually, not even in my top 10. Mainly for the reasons stated above. They're prone to problems and incurable issues.

That being said, if you gave me one, I'd drive the piss out it. When it breaks, I'd sell it for scrap. I really don't care for them. :)
,=====o00o _
//___l__,\____\,__
l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

HHaase
Favorite Zombie Movies: Errrr, I actually don't like zombie movies.
::::runs away::::

Post by HHaase » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:39 am

Ahhh, welcome to the world of Rover! Also take a spin over to D-90.com and say hello, I go by "Hans" over there. If you've ever got a problem, drop me a PM either here or there and I'll give you what info that I can.

As a Defender owner, and a rabid one at that, I'll have to agree with the general sentiment that they are a sub-optimal BOV's here in the USA. Again, this is mainly because of the difficulty in finding both parts and rover-friendly mechanics. When they are running, they are fantastically capabable vehicles. I made the choice to us mine as a BOV only because of how well acquainted I have become with the mechanics of it.

I highly suggest digging through the various LR forums when problems come up as well. Factory parts are extremely overpriced, and there are a lot of less expensive options out there. You would be surprised how many domestic parts DO interchange if you know where to look. (Ford injectors, GM ignition modules and stepper motors, Nissan O2 sensors, etc....) And NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER have the dealership do a repair except under warranty, they do great work but you pay enormously for it.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."
- Captain Ellis M. Zacaraias, USN

Doctor_Zombie
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Doctor_Zombie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 pm

I love Land Rovers Discos. Love them.

In fact, it's the only thing I'd consider trading my Jeep Wrangler in on. And to give you an idea of how much of a Jeep-freak I am... I've owned - since I started driving:
-A 1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief
-A 1974 CJ5
-A 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
-A 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and
-6, count them, 6 Jeep Wranglers.

That being said - and considering the awesomeness of a Jeep offroad - I would give them up for a Land Rover in a second. And I've had the chance to... but decided against it.

Why?

Because it makes no sense economically. Land Rovers' average repair costs are exorbitant, parts are prohibitively expensive, and - the greatest crime - Land Rovers can only take premium gas or they run like shit. Granted, gas isn't as bad as it was two summers ago... but it never dropped to pre-panic prices and I just can't justify the expense.

They look great, handle great offroad, and present an admittedly cool image. But the simple fact is - for an average guy working an average job and supporting a family - the cool's not worth the cost.
Doctor_Zombie was formerly Doctor Z.! I fracking changed it.

BUY MY BOOKS! NOW AVAILABLE ON KINDLE!
Read my blog!!
GunDown wrote: BRUCE CAMPBELL IS A GOD.... HE IS THE ONE TRUE LORD OF FILM. HIS HOLY TRINITY RULES ABOVE US ALL! AS RAMI STANDS TO HIS RIGHT AND ROMERO TO HIS LEFT HIS WILL IS INFORCED BY THE ANGEL OF VENGENCE KEVIN MOTHERFUCKING SMITH!

hakujin

Post by hakujin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:18 pm

I have a 95 Discovery. It is the main portion of my BO plan, should it ever come to that.

Gas guzzlers, yes.
Underpowered, maybe.
Expensive to repair, depends.
Huge time-sink, undeniably.
Reliable, can be.
Complete blast to own, absolutely.

14cux Discoveries and RR Classics are the most dependable and fixable Land Rovers in North America. Parts ARE readily available from junk yards and parts outlets, if you know what to look for and where. I have "tricked" people who claimed they would never work on a Land Rover, into doing line boring for both cam and crank bearings, new cylinder liners and head work when I told them it was an updated Buick 215. Cams are readily available, steering pumps, alternators, starters... about the only things that start getting expensive are steering boxes and tranny/TC work. No one "wants" to work on LR's.

If you have the time and inclination, you can do regular maintenance and many repairs in your driveway or the side of the road. I put an updated motor in my 95, eliminating the later model electrickery in the process. I dropped the power band and decreased compression with HG shims allowing the use of 89 octane, the computer didn't need to be chipped to compensate either. The truck I bought had bad a/c and instead of buying LR hoses, I had some made up locally for far cheaper out of superior materials. My tranny lines were corroded and needed replacing, so I had those made up as well. Fuel system was re-done with local talent replacing funky fuel filter setup with something more practical. Cooling was a problem so I had the original and a spare radiator recored for less than a quarter of the cost of a new unit, a new HD VC fan from a Suburban helped too. I did a near frame-up restoration/rebuild for less than what a buddy has spent on his toyota just trying to get it to run. The auto trannies in these things never ever die unless seriously neglected, and the TC won't unless not used regularly or abused.

I guess it's all about having perspective and willing to look at them as kits instead of finished projects. Oh, and don't think you'll ever get your money back. The only way a Land Rover will pay you back for all of your love and attention is through fun. They have zero resale value and are completely worthless on the open market, except for a certain class of mall-cruiser.

I have no problem relying on my 95 Disco given the work that I've put into it, but I've been up to my shoulders in LR love-butter and enjoyed every minute of it.

stefan2004

Post by stefan2004 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:38 pm

landrovers are good, but ive found there fit and finish to be terrible. I went to look and a Freelander 2 (LR2) with the HST bodykit, and it was quite literally peeling off on the forecourt!.

Instead, Im still deciding whether I should go for a brandnew 2010 (or nearly new) Landrover Defender 110 - or the Milspec Wolf Version.

the best vehicle Ive seen for sale was a 2003 AM General HMMWV for £25k/$50k, sadly I couldnt afford it (then). It was in brand new condition. less than 3k on the clock.

Eitherway, you cant go wrong with the Disco, my mums was very reliable

HHaase

Post by HHaase » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:30 am

stefan2004 wrote:
Instead, Im still deciding whether I should go for a brandnew 2010 (or nearly new) Landrover Defender 110 - or the Milspec Wolf Version.
I'd go with the wolf over a 2010 Defender. I just do NOT like the new interiors at all. And as much as I like the new raised bonnet to give clearance for the new engine, losing the ability to open up the dash vents just stinks.

Another plus for the Wolf is if you can get one with the factory PTO winch on there. I wish the hydraulic PTO's for Rovers weren't so damned rare and expensive here in the states.

-Hans
"This does not mean, however, that we are unaware of the true meaning of the term 'security.'
To us, the term has broad meaning. It rests in the physical force embodied as it is in the ships and their base,
but also in intellectual factors among which Intelligence plays an outstanding role."

gary in ohio

Post by gary in ohio » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:06 pm

HHaase wrote:
I'd go with the wolf over a 2010 Defender. I just do NOT like the new interiors at all. And as much as I like the new raised bonnet to give clearance for the new engine, losing the ability to open up the dash vents just stinks.

Another plus for the Wolf is if you can get one with the factory PTO winch on there. I wish the hydraulic PTO's for Rovers weren't so damned rare and expensive here in the states.

-Hans
A defender would be great but a pipe dream in the US... The 1993 was the only year it was imported, There were only 500 imported and If you can find one, A 110 defender with 100K miles on it will set you back $50-70K and still need work... Even the little defender 90 are $20-30K. There are some early defenders that you can now import but you most are Right hand drive.. LHD is still pretty rare and expensive.

rongo

Post by rongo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:24 pm

Not to mention that you cannot buy a diesel in the US.

however, importing a diesel for a "farm vehicle" can be done relatively cheaply...a mate at work brought a ex-MOD 110 into Oregon, waited a year and transferred the reg to WA state, where it's now licensed as a road-going vehicle. total cost was < $6k.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:15 am

When they are running, they are fantastically capabable vehicles.
This says it all. I have friends who had them, all of whom have had terrible experiences. There is a reason you only see Toyota Landcruisers in Africa nowadays, and it aint because they are cheap.

HHaase

Post by HHaase » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:54 am

gary in ohio wrote:
HHaase wrote:

-Hans
A defender would be great but a pipe dream in the US... The 1993 was the only year it was imported, There were only 500 imported and If you can find one, A 110 defender with 100K miles on it will set you back $50-70K and still need work... Even the little defender 90 are $20-30K. There are some early defenders that you can now import but you most are Right hand drive.. LHD is still pretty rare and expensive.
I ave one, actually.... 1994 D-90 NAS spec. As to actual US numbers, it's a little higher than that. There were 500 Defender 110's imported as 1993 model year, and about 6,000 D-90's for model years '94, '94 and '97. But yeah they are still expensive trucks, Mine ran me abou $20k.

Though the guy I was responding to I believe is located in the UK, where new production options are open to him. And with the MOD having to replace the Defenders with Pinzgauers in the future , there should be a good number of Wolf's showing up on that market the next few years. It will be interesting to see if that choice still holds though, since Tata bought Land Rover. IIRC it was Ford who didn't want to build them, even though the MOD wanted to buy them. I never could understand that decision.

-Hans

Return to “Transportation”