Vehicles:Your (REALISTIC) personal choice

Discussions about the devices that supply a means for movement of people and goods.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

GhostTiger

Post by GhostTiger » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:32 pm

I have an '89 Izuzu Trooper with several replacment doors, 4WD and a small gas tank, but can haul a whole bunch of shit in the back.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:33 pm

I don't really have a "choice" it's just what i have on me. So, i'd be driving away in a 2002 Dodge grand Caravan thats in excellent condition, the Camry is too low to the ground for driving thru zombies, and also doesnt hold as much cargo.

MoralityDefender

Post by MoralityDefender » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:13 pm

Chrysler Sebring convertible.

It's the car I have now. It has front wheel drive. It's a convertible, great for picking up hot chicks during the PAW.

Gundown
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Grumpy Old Men

Post by Gundown » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:53 am

I'm seriously set on the 1968 VW Baja.

The VW Bug was originally built to move officers around behind the front lines in WWII. Its high center and sturdy frame countered by its light weight make it perfect for going through all kinds of mild terrain with no problems.

Throw some bigger wheels on it and add some horsepower and you've got a Baja. The Baja is faster, more agile (due to having rear wheel steering once it's installed), and almost anything that's broken on a bug can be fixed in a mater of minutes if you have the parts on hand.

Now everybody says "Where the hell will you get the parts?" The VW bug was one of the most popular cars sold in America for almost three decades. Have you ever been to a junkyard that didn't have at least one VW bug in it?

Bugs are notoriously sturdy. Even with a bad cylinder they've been know to run for quite a ways before giving up the ghost.

Another big deal about the VW is its air cooled motor. VWs don't require a radiator or coolant. That's one less liquid you have to worry about feeding your car.

With a crash bar and a beefy front end you can hit pretty much anything that isn't mounted 5 feet into the ground with a Bug and not worry about doing any real damage to the motor because its rear mounted.

Last but not least the VW gets great gas mileage. We're talking almost 30mpg in an unleaded. I'm looking into having one converted to diesel but I'm not sure what all that's going to take.

And you can buy and build a VW Baja from the ground up for about 5000 bucks and have a very nice on/off road vehicle when you're done.

Crawford

Jetta

Post by Crawford » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:59 pm

I have a '97 four door VW Jetta. This car is sturdy for it's class... and I've taken it on many unpaved mountain roads. It's what I have and I'm does what it's supposed to do.

I also own an '86 Blazer 2 door... but I trust my Jetta more.

Oh, yeah... and a mountian bike, perferably one with less gears... less to fix I figure.
---
Better to have it and not need it,
Than to need it and not have it.

HeresToLife88

Post by HeresToLife88 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:14 pm

in all seriousness a dirtbike would probably be the best thing, especialy if it was relativly quiet. you could easily attatch saddle packs to it to store supplys and wear a backpack. a dirtbike would be good because of its size. in the aftermatch cars will be strew about and your gonna wanna get through them fast, something a bigger car would have trouble with, a dirtbike would probablly be a better alternative something you could pick up and carry or slide over small obsticals like a smaller car if the path is blocked.

You wouldn't want some big car that isnt going to push through wrecake and would take too long to go around and be unreliable on gas which will probably be a pain to get in the aftermath. a dirtbike is small, fairly good on gas, quieter than a motorcycle, and relativly affordable, and will get you where you need to go.
That'll be the day when the sun falls down, the angels may weep but i hear no sound but hey...

If and when we rise to our feet again we'll be on our own.

SlingsVaqueros

Post by SlingsVaqueros » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:48 am

I'm very close to buying a Subaru Forester right now, keeping the PAW in mind, as well as my current lifestyle. While the Outback may be the vehicle of choice for certain folks of a certain persuasion; I'm willing to accept the stereo-types for the 7 inches of clearance and all-wheel-drive capabilities. This vehicle is classified as a station wagon instead of an SUV so the insurance breaks are good and the listed mileage is 21 in the city and 31 on the highway. It can haul all of my gear and three friends with comfort and their gear as well. It seems like a good choice for an all around civilian car and a decent PAW escape car as well. With a few after-market additions, this car should serve me well and also remain socially acceptable for my current employment and leisure needs.

All I need to do now is find a way to finance it based on realistic income and long term financial stability and insurance rates...
I Survived Zombie Con 05', 06', 07'!!

I Survived Wintergheddon 06', 07'!!

chevelle

Post by chevelle » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:57 pm

Would This work?
[img=http://img174.exs.cx/img174/1638/89jeep011na.th.jpg]
Click the link to see it. It's an 1989 Jeep Grand Wagonner, the mother of all SUVs. Literally. It doesn't have good gas mileage, but it does have a 360 big block engine. It weighs 2 and a half tons, so zombies would be crushed under foot. The only modifications that would help would be bullbars and a snow plow. Anyone smell "Zombie slayer?"

Cricket

Post by Cricket » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:27 pm

Heres my current car.

Its nice, I just wonder how i'd handle being smashed through a crowd of zombies.

the_klenzer

Post by the_klenzer » Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:27 pm

I've come very close to buying a Chevy Avalanche in the last 2 months. Seems to be the most versitile 4x4 ulitily vehicle going on the commercial market. I'd add a canopy to it as well, check the link.
http://www.snugtop.com/p_xuv.htm

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:13 pm

Maj.Exec wrote:I have an '86 Blazer the has a 4" lift kit, shitty MPG, but I think an ideal PAW vehicle, next to say the Liberty or some other make by Jeep. That being said, the lift may be of some value other than clearance, being that the bumper is hip level on me, and the brush bar is about chest height, being almost ideal for taking zombies out...
I would say other than the year of your vehicle its a great choice...
But an 86 model? Everything in it is almost 20 years old. Dont know how well it would hold up under the PAW when there will be little/no regular maintenance.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:17 pm

SlingsVaqueros wrote:I'm very close to buying a Subaru Forester right now, keeping the PAW in mind, as well as my current lifestyle. While the Outback may be the vehicle of choice for certain folks of a certain persuasion; I'm willing to accept the stereo-types for the 7 inches of clearance and all-wheel-drive capabilities. This vehicle is classified as a station wagon instead of an SUV so the insurance breaks are good and the listed mileage is 21 in the city and 31 on the highway. It can haul all of my gear and three friends with comfort and their gear as well. It seems like a good choice for an all around civilian car and a decent PAW escape car as well. With a few after-market additions, this car should serve me well and also remain socially acceptable for my current employment and leisure needs.

All I need to do now is find a way to finance it based on realistic income and long term financial stability and insurance rates...
You are right about this being a good PAW Vehicle in its design... there is only one PAW related flaw that I can see.

Parts.

Its not all that common a vehicle....

However if you choose a Jeep when the PAW hits they will be abandoned everywhere.

Just look around the highway next time your driving. Count the Jeeps you see in a 15 minute period.

That makes scavenging for parts easy...

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:07 am

Limit comments about other people's choices please. We respect their choices.

We are cataloguing vehicles on this thread. This is not a flame. Thank you! :)
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Pug Puppy

Post by Pug Puppy » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:38 pm

4wheeler: easy to maintain and operate.
I've got pals w/automatic transmission 4wheelers that have been going full tilt since the 1980s.
But why automatic? The Head of the Fola coal motopool said that an automatic is less liable to tear than a standard.
Are there any 4wheeler home repair kits available?
Jesus-don't enter eternity without HIM!
Got Bill of Rights?
Got Rotty?
Got AK47?
Got .45 acp?

TOGLE

Post by TOGLE » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:26 pm

Maj. Exec mentioned the 86 Blazer. I had an 85 Blazer that the Family used for years for farm work. It wouldn't die. The starter and muffler went out on it after 19 freaking years. I got my other car fixed and sold the Blazer for nothing. The guy I sold it to fixed it up and moded it out. Now I cry like a little baby everytime I see it on the road (Ironically he fixed it up for hunting).
I'm in the market for a good vanish creature that can serve pre-PAW as well as post. GunDown makes some good points on vw's (an obsession of mine that needed a justication)
"Uchi No Kaisha"

TheShadow324

Post by TheShadow324 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:34 pm

Yeah, once again I'm with HeresToLife, a dirtbike. In the area that we live in there are a lot of woods, forests, and random trees, and my bet's on that the roads are gonna be rittled with busted cars, stopped cars, and the walking dead. Even one dead car in the road can clow you down or stop you, and then you're screwed. A dirtbike can be manuevered around a lot of crap, and if need be it can be lifted over some small stuff. It has the power and speed to clear large distances, the only downside is that the rider is not contained inside of the vehicle, but who cares, better to not get stuck than to actually need to be protected by thin tempered glass and aluminum.
Woe to you oh earth and sea, for the devil sends the beast with wrath because he knows the time is short. Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number. Its number is six hundred and sixty six.

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:20 pm

'87 Buick Grand National...If onlyl because I'm looking to buy one right now. Realistically....I'm not going to be offroading a whole lot with it, but I doubt any zombies run a faster 1/4 mile.

Zamboni

Post by Zamboni » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:37 pm

A modified VW Beetle. Easy as hell to work on. Great gas mileage. With the engiene in the back, you can take off the front hood and turn it into a forward fighting position.

bgaesop

Post by bgaesop » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:38 pm

Old Beetle or new Beetle?

Zamboni

Post by Zamboni » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:41 pm

Old, preferably a Super Beetle.

I had the accelerator cable break on mine once after work. I fished around my car and found an old coke can; i popped the ring off, propped accelerator open and drove home.

jakemuay

Post by jakemuay » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:09 pm

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/wrangl ... mited.html

Extended wrangler. Same as a Jeep, but with 29 cubic feet of cargo space instead of 9. Sweet.

Jake

Norseman

Post by Norseman » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:24 pm

jakemuay wrote:http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/wrangl ... mited.html

Extended wrangler. Same as a Jeep, but with 29 cubic feet of cargo space instead of 9. Sweet.

Jake
Now thats a nice ride. I've been thinking about getting one next time I get the itch for a new truck.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." ---George Orwell

Iron

Post by Iron » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:54 am

I'm looking at a couple mid 80's jeep cherokees right now. Any advice from someone familiar with them? The one I'm most interested in is a stick w/ an engine rebuilt 30k ago.
CANNIBALS. Ever see a slime drive a car? These vermin fit the bill.
Poorly armed and led, they are easily dispatched.

Gundown
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Grumpy Old Men

Post by Gundown » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:02 am

Zamboni wrote:Old, preferably a Super Beetle.
Super Beetles have CV joints where as the bugs up to 71 had Ball Joints. If you're going off road you want the ball joints. They'll take more abuse.

Return to “Transportation”