It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Truck tool box security?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:07 pm 

Friends,

I want to get a cross-bed tool box for my F150, such as Knack, Delta, etc. I'd like to hear your thoughts/experiences on how secure they are against break-in and theft. I'd like to keep my mobile ZPAW gear in it, which would include some things I would hate to lose, and wouldn't want in the hands of anyone who would break into a truck.

I used to have one, a Weatherguard IIRC. It was never broken into, but I lived in a rural area at that time. Not so now. It was a good box, but I think a determined individual with a crowbar could have opened it up in a minute or less.

My truck has an alarm system. I wonder if it could be wired into the toolbox.

Thanks,

Dan

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm 

If it is in a vehicle it can/will be ripped off - short of a Brink's truck.

Get insurance and worry less.
YMMV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:02 pm 

dan1775 wrote:
I used to have one, a Weatherguard IIRC. It was never broken into, but I lived in a rural area at that time. Not so now. It was a good box, but I think a determined individual with a crowbar could have opened it up in a minute or less.
A determined individual can always break into whatever, especially if said person is clever. +1 on insurance (check with your agent to ensure the stuff in the vehicle is covered) and get a consult from a reputable place selling and installing car alarms. Unless you are experienced in wiring these things up I'd also suggest letting the pro's handle the install. There is a tipping point between keeping your stuff safe and spending too much for what you are getting so be aware of that.

Installing a secure lockbox inside the toolbox or under the seat is another thing you can do. Out of sight out of mind is a truism for a reason.

The only other thing I would suggest is to keep the stuff that would be dangerous in the hands of criminals, difficult to replace, and stuff with sentimental value in 1 bag that you can grab and take inside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:12 pm 

How about building a false bottom in the tool box? Keep old junk tools, such as that electric saw that no longer works and that jack that never stays up on top. Maybe the crook will just take what he can and run thinking he "scored" :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

dukman wrote:
How about building a false bottom in the tool box? Keep old junk tools, such as that electric saw that no longer works and that jack that never stays up on top. Maybe the crook will just take what he can and run thinking he "scored" :roll:

Good concept here, I went with something like this when I had a pickup. It's about the best way, because everyone already nailed it. If someone wants to steal something, they will. Keeping it locked will be the true prevention IMO, as any thief who just tried your box probably knows there's a dozen other trucks nearby with unlocked ones. :lol:

ZS ID #1941
Fleet #0173 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:27 am 

I cannot find a source online, but I remember reading a review of an aluminum tool box made by Dee Zee. The first night the magazine had the box someone tried to break into it with a crowbar. They mangled the hell out of the box, but were unable to make off with anything, so make sure you lock your toolbox.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:32 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

i had a friend in highschool that had a jacked up redneck mobile K30 Crewcab pickup with a toolbox. he welded a chain on each side on the bottom and ran them to an eyelet in the bed floor. helped prevent anyone from trying to steal the whole box. as far as opening it with a prybar, he attached a chain to the inside of the lid and had it run through the bottom of the box and secured with a nut and bolt. While it wasnt rocket science, he wanted to make sure he made it as difficult as possible for anyone to get his stuff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:14 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

You might want to check local laws. I remember a thread somewhere that devolved into chaos after someone said "false bottom/ hidden compartment". Always better safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:19 pm 

Please note I did not say hidden compartment. I said secure lockbox inside the tool box. If you open the toolbox it isn't concealed or hidden, ergo it doesn't fall under hidden compartment laws.

If it did, tossing a duffel bag into a toolbox would be a hidden compartment and we know that ain't true.

If you actually want to conceal a compartment so when the tool box is open you cannot see it in plain sight you should check local listings as to what you are able to put in there. Also note that firearms have their own laws and you should obey then when transporting them.

Have I covered my ass enough? :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 pm 

I bought a truck last year, and one of the things I want for it is a bed-mount toolbox. I looked around in the retail outlets and wrote down brand names and prices, then went out and looked at the used toolbox market. I couldn't find a single one older than a year old with a lock or latch that wasn't pried open.

The problem with toolboxes is that they were built to hold tools (redundant statement is redundant, but bear with me), and since tools are valuable, they become obvious targets for thieves. Now if you were to get a bed cover, you could keep your shit in an old wooden trunk and just bolt it to the bed somewhere where it won't be seen by everyone walking by.

Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:40 pm 

I used to have a Suzuki Samarai with a lock box under the drivers side door - under the chassis. About the size of a bread box. Like 2'x2'x10". It had a lock on it. Was painted black. And no one ever noticed it. It was almost flush with the outside of the truck. I hid all my tools in there. Even when I had the hard top off or the soft top on. I never got ripped off. Look into steel vehicle lock boxes on google.

"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin