It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: bug out bicycle?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:36 pm 

Changed a few things out of my bike GHB, added food, fak, multi tool and 1 quart of water and thermal blanket to front pouch on bike (comes with a carry strap so if worst comes to worst I can still keep going). The back bag which sits on a rail and hangs over the sides has 2X 16oz water bottles, flashlight, iodine, ASA and Ibuprofin, small Gerber camping axe, walmart poncho, thermal blanket, thermal bivy sack, rope, bike repar kit, a not quite tarp which will make a nice overhead shelter (5'W X 7' long) a full roll of duct tape, bug spray, fire making material and a mini shovel. Missing baby wipes to go along with the shovel. Think overall it's fairly well balanced.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:26 pm 

Got a Bridgestone XO4 that I am going to build up as my winter ride this year . Best part is , it was free . :awesome:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Those old Bridgestones are tough as nails.
Today I did this:
I needed some pegboard for my garage, but it wouldn't fit in the Prius. (Cannot WAIT to get out of school and buy a truck!) Anyway, I built a trailer real quick out of some scrap metal, lumber, and some old dolly wheels. Rode over to Home Despot, got 6 sheets, rode home.
I need to strengthen the tongue a little, as it started to bend just around the corner from the house. I also have a better hitch method I want to try.
Still, for 20 minutes of build time, it worked pretty sweet.
EDIT: Also, I got hassled by the STLPD "Rapid Deployment Team" because they thought I might be a bum picking up scrap metal. Seriously? My city consistently racks at or near the most dangerous city in America, and this is how you spend my tax dollars? Maybe you could rapidly deploy yourself somewhere that an important crime is taking place, instead of hassling bums for dumpster diving. Dorks.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:42 pm 

Took my bike GHB for a trip today. Came to a few conclusions, 1: I have no need for over 32 ounces of water. 2: My current set up is a little heavy for a bike with the way it's packed but would be a good little backpack GHB. 3: I overloaded on bike tire repair stuff. Bike pump, bike tire patches, two cans of fix a flat for bikes. I need to count ounces not pounds. 4: I have a SOG Seal PUP, mini gerber axe and a multi tool.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've done quite a few century rides and more long club rides, and was always fine with the normal tire fixing supplies, a few patches, cement, a scuffer, and if you're really worried about time, a couple extra tubes (turn a 10 minute fix into about 5, and worry about patching the hole when you've made camp). I did mechanical support for several of my centuries (with the club, there were two of us who usually carried around extra spares and tools) and it was almost funny how many people used slime, and I'd usually have to replace the tube with a "clean" one so's not to gunk up my good pump.
Regular group rides are one of the best ways, IMO, to train yourself up to be self-sufficient on long rides. As a newer rider gains experience, he or she will start helping other riders with their own issues, and will be far more confident when riding on their own... not to mention the endurance and speed that increased fitness brings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:50 pm 

How does one replace a tube? Is that the bit with air that sits inside the tire? I ask only because I don't know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 pm 

OTTB wrote:
How does one replace a tube? Is that the bit with air that sits inside the tire? I ask only because I don't know.

Well, google is your fried for a reason....

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/flat-tire.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:24 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Yeah, find someone to help you with that soonest. You'll be FAR better prepared for a long bike trip when you've picked up some of those basics. The above link is only one of many places to find information about working on your bike. Instructables has more than a few articles on bicycles, and you can pick up books pretty cheap from Amazon and the like.
It's a whole different feeling, being able to take care of yourself and most mechanical issues while on the road, as opposed to those to whom a flat tire is the end of their day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:46 pm 

Google Sheldon Brown. He was very knowledgable, able to teach, and entertaining as well. His webpage is a must-have reference guide IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:29 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Tater Raider wrote:
Google Sheldon Brown. He was very knowledgable, able to teach, and entertaining as well. His webpage is a must-have reference guide IMHO.

I will second that with no hesitation at all. That was a fellow who really loved bicycles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:51 am 

The most versatile bike I have ever owned is my Kona Five-0 all mountain hardtail. I commute 50km round trips on road tyres with a 44T single ring & chainguide up front, swap to Minions on my good wheels & it can do Cross Country, Downhill, Trials, jumps, anything. Couple that with a child trailer that can carry up to 50kg & you've got a perfect bug out bike.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

BOFH wrote:
The most versatile bike I have ever owned is my Kona Five-0 all mountain hardtail. I commute 50km round trips on road tyres with a 44T single ring & chainguide up front, swap to Minions on my good wheels & it can do Cross Country, Downhill, Trials, jumps, anything. Couple that with a child trailer that can carry up to 50kg & you've got a perfect bug out bike.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

I'm interested in your choice of a single chainring.

squinty wrote:
I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

On a city bike, I kinda like mechanical simplicity. A single chainring kinda bridges a gap between the poetry-in-motion of a singlespeed (or even fixie) and a fully geared ride. If the rider is in great shape, I don't think there'd be a problem with running a single up front. If you're like most of us, a little soft, you'll really want that granny low.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:05 am 

Right Now, I'm looking for a new Bike.
As being a Dutch, we have a lot of choices in bikes

I think I wil go for this one:

Gazele Puerto ( I will add fenders and a rack).

Right now I have a Puch Bergmeister 400, But its a bit to small and heavy.
I have a 300 Euro budget.

any Idea's?

Twitter (Crocuta_mega)
to annoy the zombie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv47aM-cQeg

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's very hard to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:11 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I'm not seeing eyelets for a rack or rear fender on that ride. It looks like a lot of fun, otherwise.

squinty wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:18 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

jamoni wrote:
I'm not seeing eyelets for a rack or rear fender on that ride. It looks like a lot of fun, otherwise.

Yeah. While you could kludge up something, it'd be easier with a bike that's already set up for racks and extra bottle cages, etc.
A trailer and/or backpack would be an option, but I like to put some of the load on the bike.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:28 pm 

Mine is just a regular 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara with a cheap bike trailer.

Here is a pic my roomate took a couple years ago. I think these guys must have been bugging out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

That is... awesome!
:rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:15 pm 

I have a God-awful knack for necro-ing threads. :mrgreen:

ZS, I need your help! I'm heading off to school in Wyoming this coming fall, and right now a car just can't fit into my budget. The town I'll be living in is pretty small, though, about 7000 people, so most things are within biking distance. But obviously this is a Bug-out Bike thread, so this isn't going to turn into just a little city cruiser.

What advice can you guys give me on building a relatively inexpensive BOB? I'm taking my completely stock Trek 3900 with me, and plan on running it pretty good. It's only seen moderate use in the 3+ years I've had it, so it'll take some dusting and oiling for sure.

Here's what I'm thinking for a Bug-out/Get home (or at least back to the dorm) bike:
-A pannier to carry either an approx. 20lb bag or one that could work as a means to carry my gear.
-Snow/ice tires, if they're affordable enough. (I'm pretty new into the bike world, so I wouldn't really know. :oops: )
-Small repair kit + tire pump.
-Detachable light with mount, probably on the handlebar.

Anything else you guys could suggest?

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm 

One or two quality u-locks should be a top priority.

I highly recommend this front basket. I paid $29 for it a couple weeks ago and at the moment it's down to $22 with free Prime shipping. The basket is designed to be portable but I'm using Nite-Ize cords to lash it down tight. Here's the link (you can buy it elsewhere in different colors):

http://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Mesh-Bott ... ike+basket

I'd also keep an eye out for a used bike trailer -- perhaps an old child trailer, they turn up on Craigslist periodically. You could break it down and store it under your bed or something. If you Google you'll see that a lot of people have made their own bike trailers so perhaps that could be a do-it yourself project. I have silly number of bike trailers (Burley Travoy, two Croozer dog trailers, two Croozer cargo trailers and a Burley Nomad cargo trailer) and they all pull nicely and haul a lot.

I'm about done setting up a new, relatively cheap hybrid (Trek Verve 1) for casual short distance rides and for grocery hauling in my neighborhood in Washington, D.C. I put an old Delta rear rack I had on it and some LL Bean grocery panniers with drawstring tops I'd bought on sale a few years ago, as well as the basket I mentioned above.

Good luck (with the bike and college). Please post pics of your ride at some point.

And you may also want to put a seat bag on it - those can be had pretty cheap and would store your bike tool and a tube or two.

http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Aero-Wedge ... k+seat+bag

Triangle frame bag (leave room for water bottle holders)
http://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bicycle-Tri ... 491&sr=1-2

This or some other Binto Bag like product for the upper bar. I use mine for my cell phone and pepper spray. You can also get a Smartphone pouch.
http://www.amazon.com/Banjo-Brothers-To ... 529&sr=1-5

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:59 pm 

Thanks Dagny. A good solid lock is definitely priority #1 for me. A trailer might be an option for the future, but chances are I won't have much space to store it. :( I'm also running a relatively light gear-load, at least compared to some, so I was thinking of combining some of those bags you posted (thanks, by the way. Great suggestions) with a rear pannier/bag set-up.

I was thinking this rack: http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-63107030-E ... d_sbs_sg_1 if it fits on my Trek, that is.

And maybe this bag: http://www.amazon.com/Avenir-Metro-Pann ... _sim_sg_13

Thoughts, anyone?

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:42 pm 

Also pics.

I need new tires. :lol:

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:42 pm 

Yep, necroing this mofo again...

Firstly, my tires are officially shot. The roads here in Riverton suck, period. Potholes up the kazoo, broken glass and rough gravel, goatsfeet (which have already given me two punctured tubes :evil: ) the whole lot.

I'm debating on whether or not to buy a new set, though, because I've got the itch to sell my Trek and get a decent used MTB. There's some really awesome trail riding just a few miles from the college out in the desert, and "The-Bike-That-Weighs-As-Much-As-A-Main-Battle-Tank" is just too clunky and heavy for it. :?

Tactical furry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:27 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

OK, I can't remember if this has been covered or not.
What would you have in your BOBike's kit, as in the dedicated bike gear rather then the BO gear attached to the bike ?
A list and the reasoning would be great (or a link to one )

As you might of guessed I know stuff all about bikes (but am willing to learn)

Winner, PMBoB

LowKey wrote:
INCH bags are to lifeboats what BOBs are to life vests.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 513 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next